Not AGAIN?!

Aplmac

Australian murdered in Antigua

suicide_stock.jpg

Top government officials,

including Police Commissioner Thomas Bennett,

headed to the scene

and Parliament cut short its session this morning.

===========================

ST JOHN'S, Antigua, January 23, 2009

- Police in Antigua are investigating the murder of an Australian yacht captain in the south of the island last night.

Drew Gollan, who is in his 30's, was reportedly walking in the area of Nelson's Dockyard in English Harbour

when he was attacked and shot in the chest by an assailant who then got into a car and sped away.

He was with his girlfriend and a young child at the time.

Top government officials, including Police Commissioner Thomas Bennett,

headed to the scene and parliament cut short its session this morning.

This is the second murder in Antigua for the year.

The incident comes just six months after the shooting of British couple, Ben and Catherine Mullany

at the Cocos Hotel in the west of the island, on July 27, 2008 - the last day of their two-week honeymoon.

Mrs Mullany died on the spot,

but her husband was flown back home to Wales and subsequently passed away.

Committal proceedings for the two men charged with those murders have been delayed.

When the case came up in court this week,

the prosecution asked for more time to get forensic results from the United Kingdom.

Source: http://www.caribbean360.com/News/Caribbean/Stories/2009/01/23/NEWS0000006839.html

Sorry to say but if it were a local who got shot in the same scenario, would this have made it on cruise critic? Crime happens everywhere and this or any other murder is very unfortunate.

I'm really sorry to hear about this incident though. It very upsetting to say the least.

Yes, It's horrible. However, it's hard to think "it could happen anywhere", when planning a cruise.

I'm planning my March vacation now, and had planned on spending a few hours in English Harbour. I am having 2nd thoughts. Two separate incidents in the past six months specifically targeting tourists. Vacation is meant to be relaxing, not for looking over your shoulder.

I only wonder if Aplmac would have been so quick to point out these murders if they would have happened on his beloved island of Barbados? Considering that the islands are in competition with each other for our tourism dollars, I wonder if his only concern is to scare us away from Antigua? I hope that my suspicions are unwarranted, but he seems to have at least scared away cdmac2002.

Yes, It's horrible. However, it's hard to think "it could happen anywhere", when planning a cruise.

I'm planning my March vacation now, and had planned on spending a few hours in English Harbour. I am having 2nd thoughts. Two separate incidents in the past six months specifically targeting tourists. Vacation is meant to be relaxing, not for looking over your shoulder.

I hope you change your mind. The Island is beautiful and its people as well. I have visited Antigua in 2007 and 2008 by cruise ship. We were on an organized tour not through the cruise ship and had a great time. I think one should not wander by themselves in any unknown territory. While there are beautiful homes on this island and lots of money from the rich and famous, their is poverty on the island.

I tend to agree with BBQ lover that the poster who started this thread tried to scare us away as these island people are competing for our business. Believe me Barbados is not perfect either. I love that island as well been there three times now and 8 days vacation as well BUT crime happens there as well!

If we were to avoid places where crime happens than I am afraid there is not a place to visit by cruise ship, even in your own back yard.

Go to Antigua do not let that poster scare you away! Els :o)

Also, from reading the article in the OP's post it appears that the unfortunate incident took place at night, which would be long after the cruise ships have departed. We just loved our recent visit to Antigua, but crime can occur on any island.

I noticed you just got back from your Emerald Cruise. We are going on March 20th..How was your cruise?

Hi Elssje,

This was our ninth Princess cruise and I thought the food was the best we have experienced! We had absolutely NO complaints-everything was great. Not sure which itinerary you are on-we did the Aruba/Bonaire/ Grenada, etc one last year and had such fun we did the Barbados/Antigua/St. Lucia. etc one this year. Weather was PERFECT, entertainment very good, and everyone in our group of six had a wonderful time. You must be very excited-you will love the Emerald!!

Carole

Hi Elssje,

This was our ninth Princess cruise and I thought the food was the best we have experienced! We had absolutely NO complaints-everything was great. Not sure which itinerary you are on-we did the Aruba/Bonaire/ Grenada, etc one last year and had such fun we did the Barbados/Antigua/St. Lucia. etc one this year. Weather was PERFECT, entertainment very good, and everyone in our group of six had a wonderful time. You must be very excited-you will love the Emerald!!

Carole

Hi Carole ~ thanks for your reply. We are on the St. Lucia itinerary. This will be my 2nd Princess cruise. A few years back I was on the Sun Princess 17-day Panama Canal. I then was impressed with Princess' service. This ship is bigger and one of the new ones so I am excited. It will be my sister's first cruise. I have already been to all of the islands but I can visit them over and over. St. Lucia being my favorite so far.

I have read your various port comments as well. Thanks for all the info ~ Els :o)

Hi Els,

Hope you enjoy the ship as much as we did. There are some good reviews under the Princess section. Pescado Amarillo's (Jean) live thread during our cruise was very well written and informative.

We really enjoyed Cosol's tour (private-not through Princess) in St. Lucia. We really felt like we had seen the island. Our economic recession is really being felt on these islands, and they are already quite poor.

Carole

I only wonder if Aplmac would have been so quick to point out these murders if they would have happened on his beloved island of Barbados? Considering that the islands are in competition with each other for our tourism dollars, I wonder if his only concern is to scare us away from Antigua? I hope that my suspicions are unwarranted, but he seems to have at least scared away cdmac2002.

Shame on you

By the way, the alleged perpetrator of the murder of the Australian skipper has been arrested and is in custody.

Also, Aplmac is pretty honest about some of the more negative issues on Barbados - for instance, the former Blue Monkey Bar and the nearby beach on Paynes Bay.

For criticizing/accusing anyone of anything so hanus.
hei·nous

ADJECTIVE:

Grossly wicked or reprehensible; abominable: a heinous crime.

I don't think heinous is the right word. It's a known fact that on boards such as this one residents of one island will post horrible news from a neighboring/competing island. Whether it's done to fairly warn people of what could happen or if it's done to drive tourism away from that island only the poster knows.

From what I have read of the OP's posts, I beleive he did this as a warning. Would he have posted about a murder on Barbados? I believe he would have to make sure all of us have a safe visit.

Now, if you want this thread to fade away so that you don't have to read about this tragic event, don't post on it and eventually it will fall farther and farther to the bottom of the posting pile.

Just wondering what was said about the Blue Monkey Bar and Paynes beach,since we were thinking of going there on our March cruise.

thanks

You'll find several threads about Blue Monkey/Paynes Bay on the Barbados boards, which is where Paynes Bay is.

The Blue Monkey was a bar on Paynes Bay. The cabbies dropped all kinds of passengers of there; several vendors have lounge chair/umbrella concessions. There are more vendors that try to sell you stuff (all kinds of stuff), glass bottom boat and jet ski vendors, the beach is very crowded. The cabbies took everyone there because the chair guys were giving them (and maybe still are) "commissions." The Blue Monkey is now closed, but I think that the vendors are still there. Thing is, it's crowded, the vendors bug you mercilessly, don't take no for an answer, and fight with each other. It's not a relaxing, pleasant experience. The turtles are within swimming distance, but because of the jet skis and glass bottom boats, which are not always looking out for swimmers, it can be a fairly hazardous swim. I really like Barbados, but had my first trip to Barbados been to the beach by the Blue Monkey, rather than my 7th or 8th trip (forget which), I probably would stay on the ship when I was there!

I only wonder if Aplmac would have been so quick to point out these murders if they would have happened on his beloved island of Barbados?

Considering that the islands are in competition with each other for our tourism dollars, I wonder if his only concern is to scare us away from Antigua?

I hope that my suspicions are unwarranted, but he seems to have at least scared away cdmac2002.

That'll put a dent in their economy!:D:D

I tend to agree with BBQ lover that the poster who started this thread

tried to scare us away as these island people are competing for our business. ===> I see you scare easily... :D

Believe me Barbados is not perfect either.===> OH! :)

I love that island as well been there three times now and 8 days vacation as well

BUT crime happens there as well! ===> Thank you for your realism :)

If we were to avoid places where crime happens

then I'm afraid there is not a place to visit by cruise ship, even in your own back yard. ===> Aaaah!

Go to Antigua do not let that poster scare you away!

GO TO ANTIGUA.

Aplmac highly recommends that you go to Antigua.

DON'T stay on the ship.

Do Shirley Heights and Nelson's Dockyard

like what Aplmac plans to do when he visits Antigua in late April, via Carnival Victory.

Aplmac doesn't scare easily, and neither do you.;)

It's a known fact that on boards such as this one residents of one island

will post horrible news from a neighboring/competing island.

Whether it's done to fairly warn people of what could happen

or if it's done to drive tourism away from that island only the poster knows.

From what I have read of the OP's posts, I believe he did this as a warning.

Would he have posted about a murder on Barbados? ===> Yes, I would....and it happens!

I believe he would have to make sure all of us have a safe visit. ===> Thank you for that..

Barbados Warning.

DON'T WALK "Trevor's Way" back to the Bridgetown Port in Barbados AFTER DARK.

During daylight hours, that pleasant under-the-trees walkway

right along the water's edge upon exiting the Port's gatehouse(and sticking to the right)

is quite okay and no-one will accost you.

but I know of one very unpleasant incident that happened under the trees that line "Trevor's Way", after dark,

on the evening of Boxing Day = Dec. 26th. 2007.

No-one was killed, but it was a nasty personal attack including bloodshed

and lotsa facial stitches when he reboarded his UK ship!

I don't want that to happen to you.

Pay the money and catch a cab back to the Port.

You need to know that I post on Cruisecritic

* as a cruiser first

* as a Barbados-island-resident second

* and as someone interested in his local island-economy third.

Don't do "Trevor's Way" in BARBADOS after nightfall. ;)

Got it?

Ok Aplmac can you direct me to a good tour company to use there or should I go through the ship......to say see Shirley Heights and the Dockyard?

Aplmac is in Barbados, not Antigua. Antiguan could probably give you better advice on a guide for Shirley Heights and English Harbor.

Ok Aplmac can you direct me to a good tour company to use there

or should I go through the ship......to say see Shirley Heights and the Dockyard?

Can't help you much there sorry... as we all know, ship tours are usually overpriced

especially in the face of an abundance of capable local taximen right there at the pier

dying for your business.

I plan to engage a co-operative taxi driver dockside

and make some kinda arrangement with him

for a half-day scenic tour of the southern half of the island.

He can't pull no punches wid me,

coz I'm a fellow islander talkin his lingo

and I know all de trix we play on de tourisses!

Last time we did a trip out to Nelson's Dockyard, it was a group of about 19 of us

so we split our group into two biggish mini-vans (capable of holding 10 ppl ea.)

and I think it was US$9 per person round trip.

That was back in May of 2007 so that price may not hold water today!

This is the van -and the old geezer- that drove us..

IMG_7797.jpg

Just pray they're not burying an ex-Prime Minister's wife on the day you're at Antigua! :cool:

That's what happened to us

and he insisted on playing the solemn church service with hymns an all, in both directions.

yeaahh it was a bit of a downer, but what the hell... life in the Third World

and he was like 72 yrs. old and knew the old girl personally.......

That May 07 trip of ours wasn't a half-island tour as such, okay?

We went out to N.Dockyard to chill out, drink beers

and then half of us opted to get back to the ship for lunch-ish.

The serious drinkers returned later in the afternoon

..I think maybe they pd. a bit extra for having kept the guy waiting so long.

I would expect my intended photo-trip coming up in Apr. to cost somewhere around US$15 per person

especially if I can get another couple or 2/three, to go with me and the wife

to pretty much fill one of those mini-van things

but we'll see what transpires as far as getting a small group together for that day ashore.

That often works out well...

getting two-maybe-three couples of like mind together to negotiate an impromptu group rate.

Don't be afraid to bargain with those guys.

They need your business as much as you need their tour.

Archived