Wine Tasting

Packman1000

I'm looking for information on the wine tasting on board. How does it work? What does it cost? How do you sign up? Is it on all ships? Where is is done?

Thanks

If I remember correctly on the CB it was 9.50 per person and on embarkation day they were right by the stairwells by the buffet. You could also sign up pretty much right until the start. It was in one of the dining rooms. Four different wines plus one specialty wine. There will also be a premium wine tasting that will cost more, something like 20-25 per person I think but I didn't do that one.

There are two wine tastings, both on sea days, both in a restaurant area.

First is called "Princess Grapevine" for about $10

Second is the "Maitre D' Wine Club" for $25

We live in wine country and love to go tasting a couple of times a year...how much fun to actually combine that with a cruise!

So, IMHO, go to the first one (the $10 one) and skip the second one. We have done both and think the cheaper of the two was well worth it but booked the second one because they were pouring a couple of wines that we are crazy about. When in there, they substituted the 2 we wanted to taste! Ah, live and learn.

The first one is just more fun and light hearted in my opinion. The second one, they serve appetizers for no charge (ha -- they don't charge you for these anyhow -- that makes me laugh)

You can walk in to pay for a tasting at the time they are seating everyone. Never been turned away from something you pay for!! Never have seen these events completely full.

My old Patters show a sign up table at the elevators just outside the Horizon Court buffet. I believe there are 5 wines at the $25 tasting and a couple less (?)or is it just cheaper ones, at the $9.50 tasting. It says you can "show up at the door and pay, but why wait in line to pay". The $9.50 tasting is good enough. I did not feel the $25 was worth the money. Now Elite holders get in for free.

You cannot miss the signups for the wine tasting. They setup tables near elevators during embarkation, along with tables for the soda cards. It's very easy - just hand over your sail card and you are good to go! Your dinner waiter will also remind you, and there is usually some kind of display table in the dining rooms during lunch. They want you to signup, so they make it VERY easy. This was the case on the Sea, Caribbean and Diamond ships, so I'm sure this common practice throughout the fleet.

I second the comment about skipping the second tasting. I did it once because of the champagne being served, but I could have gone into the champagne bar and had more expensive champagne for less money. The first tasting is always fun and I do it on each cruise.

Enjoy! Maria

What is interesting is the order of the tastings we had on the Emerald on the Jan 9th sailing.

The first sea day they did the Maitre'd tasting (the one for $25) and they had the regular one ($9.50 pp-but free for Elites) near the end of the cruise.

Normally the order is reversed, not sure what the rationale was behind the scheduling, though.

Gary

Archived