Anyone ELSE not make it to Fanning Island?

tiggersgrl

Now I know that there are a few individuals on here who are in the industry and the need to defend NCL is natural.
Same as there are people that don't like NCL and spend all their time bad mouthing it. I don't work for NCL, a travel agency or any type of travel service. I have, however, done 11 NCL cruises. I have a lot of experience with them. Me, and others like me that have been around NCL a lot longer than some other people oftentimes see things a little differently that people new to this board and new to cruising. I think it's dismissive to say that anyone that leans to the side of NCL is automatically an employee or in the travel industry.

Now I know that there are a few individuals on here who are in the industry and the need to defend NCL is natural. I too would be a bit concerned with being on a ship without land for 5 days and being late for ports due to mechanical problems.
I, too, am nothing to do with the cruise industry other than being a very regular customer - 22 cruises, 17 of them in the last 10 years. I cruise because I like travelling on ships. Travelling on ships involves a great deal of uncertainty about exactly what will happen. So what? As long as I get a 10-day cruise, I'm happy - I'll take the rest of it as it comes. It's a voyage, with all that the word connotes.

One of the things that is quite clear from these boards, though, is that there are a lot of people on ships who want to know in advance everything that's going to happen, and to plan every minute detail of their entire trip. I can understand the disappointment when it doesn't work out. But if that disappointment is actually going to turn into real upset, you have to ask yourself whether travelling by ship is really the sort of holiday you want to have.

As for safety, I ask these questions again:-

• How many engines does the Norwegian Wind have?
  • How many are not working?
  • And what effect does that have on the ship's safety?

Unless you have answers to those questions, you should not be making disparaging comments about the captain knowingly putting out to sea when it's unsafe.

Has anyone considered that maybe, all these "problems" are just a way to save fuel by not going to out-of-the-way places. The only reason anyone ever went to Fanning Island was for PVSA purposes. Now that NCL has an exemption, they don't need to go there. Why burn expensive fuel when you can cut costs and stay in local waters?

Well stated, Globaliser. Cruising is a vacation with significant risk of changes in plans for a variety of reasons. If you cannot go with the flow, you will be very disappointed sooner or later.

The only reason anyone ever went to Fanning Island was for PVSA purposes. Now that NCL has an exemption, they don't need to go there. Why burn expensive fuel when you can cut costs and stay in local waters?
But do they have an exemption for the Wind? I thought the exemption was only for the Pride of Aloha, because she's not a US-built ship (normally one of the conditions for US-flagging, so as to allow coastwise trade otherwise prevented by the PVSA) - so it'll cost NCL big money every time they fail to call at Fanning Island. I seem to remember that Star Cruises had to take a USD 3.2 m charge in Q2 2004 (ending 30.06.04) because of the fines resulting from the Norwegian Star's Azipod problems.

JMO, but I think you should cancel your cruise, because you've worked yourself up into not enjoying it anyway. As I posted earlier, EVERYONE, Read your cruise contract! In it you have signed and agreed to their terms! They only promise you a cabin, food, and entertainment, for the length of the cruise! They TRY to get you to the ports of call listed on the itinerary!

Are all of you first time cruisers? Or not very many cruises? Or never read or comprehend your docs? I'm very sorry, and hate to sound mean, but this stuff happens all the time, on all the lines, at some point or another! It may be weather related problems, mechanical, or the emergency of a passenger. STUFF happens! Guess I'll give up, and go read something that makes sense to me. :( I apologize in advance, as I know I'm going to get lambasted.

No, I'm not a first time cruiser, but I do good research and that's what I did last night. Since 2000, there have been at least a dozen incidents on the Wind with them not making FI due to mechanical/medical problems. In my mind, it represents a pattern. This is before and after the ship's reconditioning. I do realize what the fine print says, but I think that it's reasonable to expect a cruise line to meet it's itinerary most of the time. Furthermore, once the initial itinerary is blown, NCL does not appear to be consistent with their alternatives.

Perhaps it's not a big deal to you, but it's a big deal to me. I wouldn't be all that upset if we didn't make FI, but I would hope that NCL would have a planned alternative, even if that meant that they have to eat the penalties. Or skip FI, stay in port in Honolulu an extra day and fix the problem. The last 2 cruises on the Wind have missed FI, so with my cruise being the very next one, I think I have the right to be a bit concerned. Lastly, an informed passenger is a happier one; NCL should just fess up at embarkation and make alternative plans until they can dry dock and fix the problem properly.

Yes, things do happen, but for my money, I like to mitigate as much of the problems as possible ahead of time. Sry, but it's the engineer in me to plan ahead. I don't take offense to your frustration, but please try to see it from the other point of view as well.

Melody

Same as there are people that don't like NCL and spend all their time bad mouthing it. I don't work for NCL, a travel agency or any type of travel service. I have, however, done 11 NCL cruises. I have a lot of experience with them. Me, and others like me that have been around NCL a lot longer than some other people oftentimes see things a little differently that people new to this board and new to cruising. I think it's dismissive to say that anyone that leans to the side of NCL is automatically an employee or in the travel industry.

Fair enough, but let me tell you, I did know about NCL's reputation before booking and I didn't let that deter me. However, if one of their fleet is experiencing an on-going mechancal problem, then I think that is legitimate enough to raise flags. Perhaps NCL should consider a good Plan B so that they can maintain a good business reputation. With the Internet, bad reps can get around fast and stick like glue. NCL may want to think about that.

As for safety, I ask these questions again:-

• How many engines does the Norwegian Wind have?
  • How many are not working?
  • And what effect does that have on the ship's safety?

Unless you have answers to those questions, you should not be making disparaging comments about the captain knowingly putting out to sea when it's unsafe.

Global, if you carefully review MY comments, I made no disparaging remarks about the captain. My cruise is next week and I haven't even gone yet. That was from another person. But I am an engineer, so my concern is strictly with safety. And that is the information I am seeking out right now.

Fair enough, but let me tell you, I did know about NCL's reputation before booking and I didn't let that deter me. However, if one of their fleet is experiencing an on-going mechancal problem, then I think that is legitimate enough to raise flags. Perhaps NCL should consider a good Plan B so that they can maintain a good business reputation. With the Internet, bad reps can get around fast and stick like glue. NCL may want to think about that.
I completely agree with you. I too think that they need a much better plan to deal with all these problems. My posting was simply to say that just because someone says something positive about NCL doesn't mean that we work for them or any type of travel business. Saying that NCL and any other cruise line is not breaking their contract with you if they skip a port, doesn't mean I work for NCL. It means that legally they're covered, but it's not good business. We agree on that. I just don't think it's fair to discount someone because they disagree with something and say it must be because they have a financial interest in it.

I completely agree with you. I too think that they need a much better plan to deal with all these problems. My posting was simply to say that just because someone says something positive about NCL doesn't mean that we work for them or any type of travel business. Saying that NCL and any other cruise line is not breaking their contract with you if they skip a port, doesn't mean I work for NCL. It means that legally they're covered, but it's not good business. We agree on that. I just don't think it's fair to discount someone because they disagree with something and say it must be because they have a financial interest in it.

I think I agreed with you on that.

No, I'm not a first time cruiser, but I do good research and that's what I did last night. Since 2000, there have been at least a dozen incidents on the Wind with them not making FI due to mechanical/medical problems. In my mind, it represents a pattern. This is before and after the ship's reconditioning. I do realize what the fine print says, but I think that it's reasonable to expect a cruise line to meet it's itinerary most of the time. Furthermore, once the initial itinerary is blown, NCL does not appear to be consistent with their alternatives.

Perhaps it's not a big deal to you, but it's a big deal to me. I wouldn't be all that upset if we didn't make FI, but I would hope that NCL would have a planned alternative, even if that meant that they have to eat the penalties. Or skip FI, stay in port in Honolulu an extra day and fix the problem. The last 2 cruises on the Wind have missed FI, so with my cruise being the very next one, I think I have the right to be a bit concerned. Lastly, an informed passenger is a happier one; NCL should just fess up at embarkation and make alternative plans until they can dry dock and fix the problem properly.

Yes, things do happen, but for my money, I like to mitigate as much of the problems as possible ahead of time. Sry, but it's the engineer in me to plan ahead. I don't take offense to your frustration, but please try to see it from the other point of view as well.

Melody

Melody, I agree with you almost entirely, until you say the Wind missed FI 9 times, due to mechanical/medical problems. They aren't a bit responsible for med probs! I would need to know how many mechanical only missed times, to know it was a real problem. I am guessing it is anyway, as they are trying to get someone in to fix it, even if on the fly.

I too, will be disappointed, if we miss FI, as I'm looking forward to it. It sounds more like French Polynesia, than modern day Hawaii. But, I've been forewarned, and will just deal with it, if it happens.

I do agree, however, that if these problems can't be fixed very soon, they need to find a way to try to make the customers happier. Maybe they know that once the mob is restless, they can't appease them much. I really don't know, as I said, I haven't been yet! But, I have read a lot of posts about POA, and those folks didn't seem able to be appeased!

Melody, beings you haven't gone yet, please try not to let these problems ruin your whole cruise. It just isn't worth it! Enjoy what you do get, and tell yourself, you'll just have to come back someday, to see the rest!

p.s. I still haven't been to Cancun! I'll live! I get to see other great places, on other cruises and vacations!

By the way when I was on the wind on the Sept. 11 sailing, we did make it to Fanning Island. But there was on open forum with the captain and other high ranking people of the ship. It was mentioned that the Wind has 4 Diesel Engines. FWIW.

Thanks for posting the information! :)

I see the Web Cam on the Wind still shows it to be Thursday. Do you think they have shut it down so we can not see if it gets to Fanning or other ports on time?
What would they accomplish by shutting the camera down? Those cameras go down all the time fleet wide. I don't think it's a conspiracy with NCL to hide their timing. They have 1500 to 1700 passengers on board that can verbalize their timing of ports. If they miss Fanning Island it won't be a secret just becasue the camera goes down. But again, they go down all the time.

I'm not trying to antagonize you with this question. I'm asking seriously. Would you rather have had your cruise canceled and given a future cruise credit? And how do you think 1700 other people would have liked that idea? I ask because it seems this ship has had engine problems in the past and the only thing that may get it fixed is a prolonged dry dock. Should NCL cancel say 2 months of cruises and give future cruise credit to thousands? Or is it better to have a cruise that misses one port? Again, I'm seriously interested in your perspective.

I'm sorry to hear that the Wind is having these problems now. I cruised the Wind four times between 1999 and 2001 and we never had engine problems.

Yes, Host Cecilia - I would have preferred that NCL re-booked my trip AFTER they fixed their problems.

Yes, Host Cecilia - I would have preferred that NCL re-booked my trip AFTER they fixed their problems.
Thanks for answering. I agree with you. If they know ahead of time that there are problems, I'd rather have my trip rescheduled. Of course, then there would be airfare changes, vacation days rescheduled, etc. Such a nightmare.

But do they have an exemption for the Wind? I thought the exemption was only for the Pride of Aloha, because she's not a US-built ship (normally one of the conditions for US-flagging, so as to allow coastwise trade otherwise prevented by the PVSA) - so it'll cost NCL big money every time they fail to call at Fanning Island. I seem to remember that Star Cruises had to take a USD 3.2 m charge in Q2 2004 (ending 30.06.04) because of the fines resulting from the Norwegian Star's Azipod problems.

I'm not positive on that issue. If memory serves, the agreement to get around the PVSA regulations was made by Sen. Inouye with NCL prior to to formation of the NCLA subsidiary, and was a prerequisite to help NCL proceed with their plans.

We are going in June and I would rather wonder aimlessly and cruise than spend 8 months being excited about a vacation and then needing to reschedule. We are going with family so I know it would be impossible to work out a 10 day span that all of us could do again.

ONLY US Flag Ships are not required to visit a foreign port while sailing in Hawaiian waters. The only US Flagged ocean-going cruise ship in the world right now is the m/s Pride of Aloha.

The Norwegian Wind, as a Bahamas Flagged vessel, is definitely required to visit a foreign port.

If she fails to visit a foreign port - for any reason - the United States Passenger Services Act requires that NCL pay a $300 per person (including crew) fine. Usually for Medical Emergencies the fine is waived - but not always.

Lets see now. 1800 passengers + 700 crew = 2500 x $300 = $750,000 !!

Does anyone think that paying this three quarters of a million dollars fine every time they miss Fanning Island will improve NCLs profits in any way?

If they cancel the cruise and refund the tickets (approximately $1.7 million), and lose the money the passengers would have spent onboard for that 10 days (about $1 Million), they will have a $2.7 Million loss.

So if you are the Cruise Line President, do you bite the bullet and pay the fine of $750,000 (wiping out any profits for months), or cancel the cruise and lose the $2.7 Million (wiping out any profits for years to come)? Either decision will upset a great many people, but the smaller loss still legally delivers the cruise and possibly keeps the company out of bankruptcy. I am so happy that I do not have to make decisions like that in my job.

We were on the Star a year ago in September and we missed Fanning Island. I was hugely disappointed. The captain said we had a "medical emergency" the morning after leaving Hilo. We had a sea day, then returned to Kona. We were told this happened often. We had an extra day on the big island and an extra stop on Maui. Still, we booked for Fanning Island were looking forward to going there. I'm sure the person involved in the medical emergency was relieved that we did not go there. Reading on this board, it seems it is a common occurance to miss Fanning Island. Actually we had two medical emergencies on that cruise. A person with terminal cancer died while we were in Hilo and was taken off the ship, but we were in port at the time.

Archived