Question for Recent Summit Cruisers

Terre

Hi, we were on Summit in August last year and we were disappointed that the dining room wasn't open on port days. My husband likes Full English Breakfast so we liked going to the dining room for breakfast as well, but it closes earlier on port days so be prepared. The Waterfall and Poolside Grill were always open of course .. but we don't like queueing!

We just returned from the Summit yesterday. They only had the dinning room open for lunch one time and that was the only sea day. They didn't even call it lunch but a brunch and all they do is clear away tables in the main dinnng room and make it a buffet.

Okay, as a newbie to Celebrity please forgive my ignorance, but where do you eat if the dining rooms aren't open for lunch? Does everyone go to the Waterfall Grill or the Normandie??:confused:

It wouldn't be the Normandie; as I recall from my Summit cruise 5 yrs ago, that's only open for dinner (with reservations of course). There was a lunch buffet in the Waterfall Grill and then there was a small selection of healthy-type fare in the Spa Cafe which we enjoyed on a few occasions.

There is also the hamburgers and such by the pool.

Come to think of it our last three cruises or so the MDR was not open for lunch on port days. I don't think this is a brand new thing.

Come to think of it our last three cruises or so the MDR was not open for lunch on port days. I don't think this is a brand new thing.

You're correct, the dining room has not been open on port days in years.

I was on the Summit in November and there was not any food to be found in between breakfast and lunch, and lunch and dinner. Everything was closed. It was annoying on sea days because we liked to sleep in and catch up on sleep, and did not go to breakfast, and sometimes we were not ready to eat until after lunch, then there was no food available. I've never been on a cruise ship that did not have some kind of food available at all times. We could have ordered room service delivered to our cabin, but whenever we did that, it was horrible, rubbery and cold, so not even worth it. The hamburger and hot dog bar by the pool was even closed some times. I don't think the food was that good anyway, it was just generic, bland buffet fare, but the dinners in the main dining room and Waterfall Cafe was pretty good most of the time. Not sure if there was food available on port days as we were out all day long.

There's about one hour in the morning and one in the afternoon when the buffet is not open for either meals or tea sandwiches. The pizza and pasta area is open all day until midnight. There is always food available. I think you must not have looked around.

As Texed mentioned, the MDR has not been open for lunch while in port for quite a while now. But, I'm sure he filled up on the waffles at breakfast to tie him over, right Texed.....lol? :D But, there are other options as also mentioned. I'm sure they did this because most people leave the ship while in port and eat lunch on their own in the town or on an excursion. It probably didn't pay for them to leave it open for the few that stay on board.

Thanks, this is what we've been reading. I am surprised to hear that there was nothing to be found between breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner. What do those poor souls do who don't leave the ship?

Looks like I'll be filling up with waffles!

Thanks everyone.

Thanks, this is what we've been reading. I am surprised to hear that there was nothing to be found between breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner. What do those poor souls do who don't leave the ship?

Looks like I'll be filling up with waffles!

Thanks everyone.

There's a wonderful sandwich bar aft on deck 10 and the buffet is usually open, too. I think the hamburgers are also available on the pool deck. Any and all of the above are very good. But, if I were you I would still eat the waffles first just because they're sooo good............lol? :D

I don't think there was a lot of time when nothing was open in the Waterfall Cafe. The breakfast stuff seemed to be available until the lunch stations were open when I sailed a couple of weeks ago.

So it's not quite as bad as it sounds, then. That's great...

And thanks, Wolfshadow, for the tip about the sandwich bar!

I was on the Summit in November and there was not any food to be found in between breakfast and lunch, and lunch and dinner. Everything was closed..

If you can't survive one of these 30 minute :eek: intervals, you can always crawl back to your cabin and order room service. ;)

I think there is some sort of breakfast available until 11 am. All of the lunch venues open at noon. You can get burgers, pizza, salads and SPA food until 6 or 8 pm.

Availability of food is not an issue on Celebrity.

You won't encounter the waifs from 'Oliver" asking for more gruel! :eek:

Archived