visa/vaccine questions for the Veendam March itinerary

Chrislynn55

Our documents for our upcoming cruise on the Veendam in March have arrived (woo hoo!) and they don't make any reference to having to have a visa (we're Canadians) nor do they mention if we need any special vaccines for the ports we'll be visiting (Belize, Guatemala, Costa Maya). I'm assuming we would have been told already by HAL if we do?

If anyone has been on the Veendam on this itinerary, I'd appreciate hearing from you!

Many thanks:)

Kathy

It's a little late to get these shots -- but I always advise people to get Hep A and B, tetnus, diptheria, flu, pneumonia, and thyphoid shots.

This way you are protected no matter where you travel.

If you are planning to cruise more in the future -- get the shots.

You don't need for your ports -- just don't take day long trips into the jungles.

My spouse and I are Canadian as well and will be sailing on the Veendam on March 1. Our information is that no vaccines are required in order to visit the various ports, but it has been recommended that we be vaccinated for Hepatitis A and B, (twinrix) and also tetanus if we haven't had shots within the last ten years. We have an upcoming appointment to get the shots before our cruise. We just figure "better safe than sorry". You will find these two sites helpful: http://www.twinrix.ca/ and http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/. As for visas, we always ensure we have our passports with us when leaving Canada. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the responses, everyone:)

We do have passports, and we have all had vaccinations for Hep A and B, as well as Tetanus shots within the last few years.

No day-long trips through the jungle are planned....just the airboat adventure in Belize.

There have been afew questions here about vaccinations and "having" to get them-the thing is, in most cases it is not that they are absolutely required, it is just being proactive about your health,and eliminating unneccesary risks.

Better safe than sorry, as mom used to say!

Been there-done that. We did this cruise Oct 2007 with our teenage daughters and we hail from southern Ontario. We did not have all our shots but yes to be proactive is not bad advice. Enjoy the airboat ride in Belize-it was cool skimming the water at 50mph with a 454 Chevy engine roaring in your ears even with headphones. The wildlife did showup the day we went on tour. Colakid.

quote=PrairieWinterCruiser My spouse and I are Canadian as well and will be sailing on the Veendam on March 1.

My husband and I will be on this sailing also. I'm looking forward to sunshine and warm weather.

We're Canadian as well and the shots are not required for these destinations. We did have the Hep A B shots a few years ago, but my son cannot have the Hep B shot, so we are just careful with him in terms of water, ice etc at foreign ports.

Our documents for our upcoming cruise on the Veendam in March have arrived (woo hoo!) and they don't make any reference to having to have a visa (we're Canadians) nor do they mention if we need any special vaccines for the ports we'll be visiting (Belize, Guatemala, Costa Maya). I'm assuming we would have been told already by HAL if we do?

I believe it is the passengers responsibilty to check for any visa requirements for ports visited and not HALs. Do you realy want to rely on HAL to do it only to get to check-in time and finding out that they won't allow you to board because you are missing a visa?

From the HAL website:

Visas

Some countries require that you obtain official authorization (called a visa), before entering their country. Usually, there is a fee required. You are responsible for obtaining any necessary visas.

For U.S. or Canadian citizens
, if you have questions about visa requirements, you may call Zierer Visa Service at (866) 788 1100 or send an email message to:
or visit their website:

Archived