Desperate help needed - travelling out of country when baby is 3 months?

krmlaw

We have schedule a land vacation to Rivera Maya (near Cancun, Mexico) for over thanksgiving, because we cant take a cruise with a 3 month old.

But Im not sure we can take a 3 month old out of the country either? Im thinking vaccinations wont be finished, etc.

I called my OB/GYN, and the nurse on call said I have to ask my pediatrician, but we dont have one yet. We are going to start interviewing them next month.

So I desperately need help! I have time still to switch the reservation to somewhere maybe in Florida, where it will still be warm.

HELP! (and thanks)

I would not take a 3-month-old out of the country. Gosh forbid should he/she get sick, you cannot be assured of the same medical care as you would receive in the US. The shots are also not up to date and some places do still have some of the diseases we are vaccinated against. I think you should stick to FL. Time will pass quickly and you will be able to cruise and travel out of the country before you know it (my oldest baby is 14, the other 2 almost 6, and 9 years and it seems like they were just born).

My husband is in the military, and we are stationed overseas. I flew back to the States with my little one when she was 8 weeks old. We got her 2 month shots a little early, and my ped was fine with the travel. I would think that it's not the travel, per se, but what the access is to health care where you are going. So, while I would probably say Europe would be fine (because of the access to quality care), I don't think that I would want to go to Mexico. Just my opinion.

I am from Canada so I'm not sure what the US laws are for passports, but I know you need one for infants here. That might be the problem as it sometimes takes a while to get one. As for travel, I know you can travel with an 3 mo old. If your baby is healthy and you are going to be in a resort area I would go ahead and travel where you want to go. Get shots a bit early and just be aware of the heat etc.

I think we'll be able to get the passport in time, but Im just worried about vaccinations and sickness. They will be my first child, and I would hate to be the blame for something to go wrong.

I plan to breastfeed, but dont know if that makes a difference.

Im going to talk to my OBGYN myself next week, and hopefully she will give me some guidance.

Ive been goggleing all over the place, but cant seem to find a definative answer.

Heck, as much as I would have loved to relax I really dont think Id feel physically ready to be in a bathing suit in 3 months after baby. But Im one of those unlucky flabby girls. Some are plain ol' lucky.

And I was just starting to really feel like myself again after my section at 3 months post.

I dont think I would personally take a 3 month old to Mexico if I didnt have to.

(It took us a month to just get our daughters passport. Applied for it after Christmas and got it on Jan 24th).

We travelled to an all-inclusive in Jamaica when my son was 4 months old. No issues...had a blast. Only caution our ped gave was to make sure the sunscreen contained titanium dioxide...apparently other sunscreens will absorb into the skin which they can't tolerate til around 6 months. We're just packing up to head to the Dominican Republic and our son is approaching 7 months.

Our daughter took her first flight at 5 weeks, and also had no issues. They are both great travellers.

Here is the link to CDC's recommended vaccine schedule for children:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/schedules/downloads/child/2009/09_0-6yrs_schedule_pr.pdf

If you choose and are able to breast feed, your baby should get enough antibodies from your milk while establishing his/her own immume system.

I also think you should get yourself vaccinated (if not already) so that you are protected against certain diseases.

Traveling with a young infant is tricky in general...no matter you go to Florida, Mexico, or somewhere else.

Good luck.

I took my daughter to Aruba when she was about 3 months old. We had NO problems at all and it was a WONDERFUL vacation. We took a travel swing and a small pop out tent and she spent the entire time in her swing in the tent. At that age they are still sleeping so much so it allowed my husband and I to relax on teh beach. We, too, had some of the same concerns and talked with our ped. about them, and she was fine with the travel. I will say that when we returned our daughter came down with an ear infection, but no probelms there. I will NOT tell you what to do, just what I did.

Hey!

Well done on having an adventure with your young bub! They'll love hearing stories in years to come about how little they were in mexico :)

I'd like to encourage you to follow through with your trip. I know from experience that travelling OS with a young bub can be a daunting proposition... but dont be put off, travelling to exotic places with younguns' is a great experience - and in many cases makes the trip even better (the locals love young ones - makes you that much more approchable).

You will be just fine - especially if breastfeeding, which will be a great boost to your kids immune system. Depending on were you travel in mexico (or anywhere in the world for that matter) always remember that with good travel insurance your medical bills will be covered, and that in most tourist locations there are very good private hospitals nearby (thats for reassurance only - you'll never need them!).

Being an Australian, S.E. Asia is much closer for us than mexico, and we've been all over it with two very young bubs with issues.

If you're careful with what you and they eat, and always drink bottled water only, you'll have an amazing and very memorable time.

So go and have a great time, and know that you and your bub will have some wonderful memories (or at least photos for the bub) to share in years to come.

My bottom line is, I would encourage you never to be put off travel - its the best thing we can do in life - preparation and common sense can always overcome any problem (with reason of course - I dont suggest you go backpacking in pakistan just yet...!)

I exclusively breastfed my third for a year. When she was 6 weeks old she got RSV, a very dangerous disease for some babies. She had oxygen levels in the 80s and a lot of problems breathing. We were at home thankfully and could be seen by our pediatrician and go to our local hospital. My other 2 had chronic ear problems, esp the second who was also exclusively breast fed. My second had to have tubes at 11 months because she had so many ear infections starting at a very young age. I would hate to even think about the pain of flying with an ear infection.

My point is, breastfeeding is best, but does not mean your baby will not get sick. Some people are not able to nurse and some, after trying, decide it does not work for them. But that is not something you will know until you have the baby.

One thing to consider is that each baby/child is different and handles changes, such as travel, differently. Make certain that you don't fall into the trap of having the house quiet all the time because "the baby is sleeping." The baby needs to learn to sleep in various situations (sounds, light, different cradle/crib, etc.).

Shouting now: Get travel insurance immediately. This will cover you in case you have pregnancy complications that require you to delay travel and it will cover your baby if he or she is unable to travel for any health reason. There's simply no way to know until the time comes whether your baby will be up to the trip. If you are able to go, then the insurance can literally be a life-saver if (God forbid) your little one becomes ill during travel.

Be flexible and be prepared to tailor your days and nights to whatever your baby requires. That way you'll be more likely to have the best time. If you go in with no pre-conceived notions of how the trip "should be," you'll have an easier time all around.

Congratulations and best wishes for an easy pregnancy, a healthy baby, and a wonderful trip.

beachchick

I am a pediatric nurse practitioner, by 3 months your child will have his/her first set of vaccines (done at 6-8 wks) so there will be some protection. You might consider a shorter trip like 4 days or so since incubation periods of most colds/viruses are a few days that way if your baby does come down with something, you will be in the states by the time he/she shows symptoms. Travel insurance is a must. Also, mexico is only an hour flight or so from Fl so you could always fly back ito the US if you needed to. 3 months is a bit young to travel but I think it would be ok. Bring lots of water with you. You will have a good vacation with the baby at this age but remember they are still not sleeping through the night yet so you will still be tired from waking at night for feeds. But hey, tired in Mexico surrounded by beautiful water or tired at home? I'll go with Mexico! I have a 1 month-old now so I am right in those sleepless nights...ugh. Good luck and have a good vacation.

My point is, breastfeeding is best, but does not mean your baby will not get sick.

Yep same here. My youngest was breastfed but didn't stop her from getting really sick at 8 months on Disney Magic. :(

Breastfeeding is good to boost their immune system but it doesn't protect them from everything, as we unfortunately found out. :(

Thanks everyone. I have calls into 3 different ped docs, to see what they saw as well. Sounds like we might change our plans, and just go to florida for that week. Ill keep you posted.

I don't know who mentioned it, but you might want to consider Aruba. Some really beautiful beaches, better than FL, IMO. And, they have excellent and inexpensive medical care. I would choose Aruba over Mexico any day.

Good luck.

I've been lurking around. I have a 3.5 month old daughter. It would be very hard to travel with her now. Just going to my folks for the weekend takes a lot of planning. She goes through 2-3 outfits per day, plus blankets, burp cloths, wash cloths, diapers, wipes, etc. I do laundry at least 2x/week because things get peed and pooped on very frequently. Also, my daughter is just growing out of her fussiness. You won't know your baby's personality until he/she is here.

On the other hand, my girlfriend has a son who is a few weeks younger than my daughter and completely mellow. She's taking him to Jamaica next month!

Congrats and Good luck!

We took our son to Mexico when he was 3 months and 6 days old. We took lots of bottled water with us. It was an easy trip.

I guess since we live in Texas, Mexico seemed just as close as Flordia where we went when he was 8 weeks. I asked my peditrician before we went. He said the biggest issue was the recirculated air on the plane and the germs from being around the general public in the airport.

Looking back on it now, I might do it again.

Archived