F.I.S.H.E.S or Glacier Wind Chaters in Icy Strait

clleste

Several posts have said that Glacier Wind and FISHES in ISP are becoming booked for their date, if this is the case for you, I have been on a whale watch, bear watch and fishing with TECKK Outfitters in Hoonah. Grandma Nina's coffee shop in beautiful downtown Hoonah is owned and operated by the Skaflestads. I just got a note from Keith yesterday that he has a new boat now and will be set up for whale watching tours and fishing in addition to the van for bear watches. You can contact Keith at keith_skaflestad@yahoo.com or you can get their home and cell #s off the TECKK Outfitters website. Whoever you choose, you will have a wonderful time. We spent 8 days in Hoonah and everyone we met was just delightful! We are hoping to be able to make the trek from Tennessee back up to Hoonah again this year.

I was planning on going with Glacier Wind Charters but they were filled,

so I went with FISHES. I would email both to see their availability. You

might not have to make a decision. People seem to love both of them.

We went back and forth between the two, and ended up booking with FISHES. From my research, you'd get a good trip either way. A lot of people talk about Keith (mentioned above) being good too.

Book asap, we heard things book up fast/early ... we're already booked for all our excursions, but not cruising til 9/5/09, it was nice to be able to research, plan, and make decisions early knowing that everything would be available still. There's so many good excursions, deciding which to book is a difficult decision!

Thanks everyone! Glacier Winds was booked for our date, and they so kindly and graciously referred us to FISHES, which did have two spots for us. So we're in!!! ;)

When are you going? We won't be there til Sept ... would love to hear back how your trip goes :)

~Denise

I've done 4 trips with FISHES on the past 2 years and it's always an incredible experience. You just can't go wrong the Pt Adolphus - the whale watching is basically guaranteed. I've always been lucky to seen lots of whales for the entire experience, and even some breaching.

Floyd and Marjorie and very nice people. He always has lots of stories to tell, and does his best to maximize your viewing. The Silver Spoon is a new boat in great condition and ideal for the experience.

Trips with FISHES are always the highlight of my Alaska trip.

My goal is to kayak the same area either this year or next.

Have fun!

I've done 4 trips with FISHES on the past 2 years and it's always an incredible experience. You just can't go wrong the Pt Adolphus - the whale watching is basically guaranteed. I've always been lucky to seen lots of whales for the entire experience, and even some breaching.

Hi Patrick, that's good to hear ... figure if someone goes back 4 times it must be a good trip! What time of the year have you gone? What type of whales did you see? Did you see any other wildlife? I'm wondering if you see much wildlife along the shore (ie bear, moose, ...).

~Denise

Hi Patrick, that's good to hear ... figure if someone goes back 4 times it must be a good trip! What time of the year have you gone? What type of whales did you see? Did you see any other wildlife? I'm wondering if you see much wildlife along the shore (ie bear, moose, ...).

~Denise

Hi Denise - I've been in early June and early Sept. We saw humpbacks - but lots of them, and very close up. One time we witnessed some great breaching. Listening to them can be as interesting as watching them.

Floyd is good about trying to spot wildlife on shore, which is more hit and miss. Last year we were lucky enough to see a sow and her 2 cubs.

You can't go wrong on this tour!

Hi Denise - I've been in early June and early Sept. We saw humpbacks - but lots of them, and very close up. One time we witnessed some great breaching. Listening to them can be as interesting as watching them.

Floyd is good about trying to spot wildlife on shore, which is more hit and miss. Last year we were lucky enough to see a sow and her 2 cubs.

You can't go wrong on this tour!

What is a sow? Is that some kind of cow? Is a sow a biter?

We'll be in ISP with RCI Radiance on June 2nd. Will let you know!

I received an e-mail from Marjorie saying that she had another 6/2 booking for my whale watch/wildlife tour - I guess that must be you! :D Really looking forward to the excursion; I know we will have a good time.

Karen

I received an e-mail from Marjorie saying that she had another 6/2 booking for my whale watch/wildlife tour - I guess that must be you! :D Really looking forward to the excursion; I know we will have a good time.

Karen

Yes!!! Marjorie told me she already had two people booked when I inquired, and now we are signed up. Looking forward to it also. See you there!

Archived