Notepad computers for Cruising........

sail7seas

Not being a computer wiz I have what may be a silly question but - why can you not use a jump drive or USB drive to create a system backup? Does it have to be a CD :confused:

I am going to get one of these systems but don't want to have to worry about getting an external drive to go with it.:rolleyes:

Thanks!

Sandy

Over the July 4th weekend I had the opportunity to take a friend's Asus for a test drive and today I kicked the tires on a co-worker's Lenovo. I like the Asus better: the screen seems sharper and I like the zoom capability on the Asus' touch pad in nice. The small screen still bothers me a bit but I do like the weight and compactness of these devices.

I guess I now need to find an Acer to try out. :)

Or try an MSI Wind Netbook ;) I absolutely love mine.

Not being a computer wiz I have what may be a silly question but - why can you not use a jump drive or USB drive to create a system backup? Does it have to be a CD :confused:

I am going to get one of these systems but don't want to have to worry about getting an external drive to go with it.:rolleyes:

Thanks!

Sandy

Sandy, all I know is my Acer just keeps asking for disks. I finally called and requested the disks.

LoyHAL

I use Acronis True Image as my backup manager: it is quirky but useable. Acronis will create a recovery program on a thumb drive. I periodically create a system archive on a HD card separate from the USB drive. The idea being, if needed, I can boot from the USB drive to get the recovery utility and then restore from my HD card. I have a clean image from shortly after bringing the system to my liking (Firefox, Thunderbird, etc.) allowing me to restore to an almost new conditions. I make backups periodically, but have kept the original one safe. I haven't had to restore, but Acronis does a verify to check that you have a readable backup. Although you would have to purchase Acronis and there is a learning curve, I've avoided the hassle of trying to get OEM disks for Windows. This scheme may not be suitable for all users, but if you are comfortable being a little geeky you can make it work. Good luck.

Archived