Notepad computers for Cruising........

sail7seas

:o Remember the rules here..... no laughing at idiots permitted!! :D

How do I know when my Acer is fully charged? I have the 6 cell battery model and have it plugged in for 2 hours. My cell phone and my camera indicate full charge - - doesn't my Acer?

I have an ASUS, not the ACER but I think it works the same. When the screen is closed, and it is charging, there is a light on the front that is red (and I think it blinks). When it is fully charged, the light turns green. Or while you are using it, go to Control panel and choose Power Options. There should be a tab that will show your battery status. It will show whether you are running on electricity or battery and what % of charge you have and approx how much time until your battery dies.

I really need some help here. This is not for the mini but for my regular computer. Remember, no laughing.

1. How do I tell if I have a DVD drive?If I go to my computer, it says I have a DVD drive D and a DVD drive F. However, I only have two drive doors that open and I guess one must be for a CD.

2. If I do, how do I burn a DVD from a video attachment my daughter made of some of our family photos? She sent it to me in an email.

Thanks for any help.

I really need some help here. This is not for the mini but for my regular computer. Remember, no laughing.

1. How do I tell if I have a DVD drive?If I go to my computer, it says I have a DVD drive D and a DVD drive F. However, I only have two drive doors that open and I guess one must be for a CD.

2. If I do, how do I burn a DVD from a video attachment my daughter made of some of our family photos? She sent it to me in an email.

Thanks for any help.

DVD drives will also work with CDs. So if you have two DVD RW (read and write) drives, they will also read and write CDs. If by chance only one is RW, and the other is read only, then each will handle CDs appropriately.

How do I know when my Acer is fully charged?
When you plug it into an electrical outlet, the battery light (far left top of battery unit) will glow amber. This indicates that it's charging. If it's green, that means it's fully charged.

I'm so appreciative of the help. Some folks here have been so generous in sharing their expertise.

Makes me able to use and enjoy my computers so much more than I would without the help.

Thank you all.

REALLY appreciate all your help.

I dont' know how I would have learned any of this without your help.

Drinks on me........ :)

This makes me laugh. When either me or one of our cruising buddies does something for the other, we always say, "I'll 'buy' you an ice cream as soon as we get on the ship.":)

LoyHAL

So does that mean I just put the disc in the drive,open the email attachment and hit burn on the program that has the video?

You likely need to open the attachment and save it to your computer's hard drive. Then, when you go to that file on your computer, you should be able to find a "burn" command.

You likely need to open the attachment and save it to your computer's hard drive. Then, when you go to that file on your computer, you should be able to find a "burn" command.

I did exactly that, but it didn't work. Any other suggestions?

I highlighted the file that I saved to the desktop, but there was no place to click on burn. Clearly

I'm missing a step somewhere.

Move the file from your desktop to your picture file ... there should be a "burn" command at the top of the picture folder into which you moved the new one. I have Vista operating system ... but I recall my husband was able to find "burn" with his XP OS.

If this doesn't work for you ... I have no additional tech expertise. I could sit with your computer and work it out, but I'm not good with remote help. Hopefully, someone else here can get you further along.

Thank you soooo much. I saved the file to My Pictures, put a disc in the drive and hit copy. There was no burn. Then I went to My COmputer and it showed me how much space was left on the disc. I opened the disc and there it was. Thank you soooo much.

My husband and I both tried all morning with no lck. What would we do without the wonderful people on this board?

Thank you soooo much. I saved the file to My Pictures, put a disc in the drive and hit copy. There was no burn. Then I went to My COmputer and it showed me how much space was left on the disc. I opened the disc and there it was. Thank you soooo much.

My husband and I both tried all morning with no lck. What would we do without the wonderful people on this board?

You're welcome ... glad my tips were helpful.

The nice thing about spending a wad of precious time trying to figure out how to do something is that you'll remember the drill the next time.

Finally got my Acer and have it working on my wireless at home ...easy so far to use but have a few questions of those that have used their Acer or other type netbook on the ships

1. My Acer came with a plug type adapter to run off of electricity. Can I use this on the ship? If so ..what type of adapter or extension cord do I need to make sure I use this approach properly and not damage my netbook. ( I plan to do a journal offline and then post it to a blog or email it to family via the internet to hopefully save $$ and minutes)

2. Anyone have Skype and used on the netbook? Since I have to download any program via the internet on my Acer ..if you used Skype...what are your suggestions on using Skype to call landline or a cell phone from Europe/British Isles/ship to the USA? I am totally in the dark on Skype ..so any suggestions on how to use this easily would greatly be appreciated :)

3. Any other suggestions that you have found helpful ..or any "do not do" things with the netbooks on the ship ...would be appreciated :)

I have really appreciated all the help given me by all of you ..thanks so very much...

1ph

Finally got my Acer and have it working on my wireless at home ...easy so far to use but have a few questions of those that have used their Acer or other type netbook on the ships

1. My Acer came with a plug type adapter to run off of electricity. Can I use this on the ship? If so ..what type of adapter or extension cord do I need to make sure I use this approach properly and not damage my netbook. ( I plan to do a journal offline and then post it to a blog or email it to family via the internet to hopefully save $$ and minutes)

2. Anyone have Skype and used on the netbook? Since I have to download any program via the internet on my Acer ..if you used Skype...what are your suggestions on using Skype to call landline or a cell phone from Europe/British Isles/ship to the USA? I am totally in the dark on Skype ..so any suggestions on how to use this easily would greatly be appreciated :)

3. Any other suggestions that you have found helpful ..or any "do not do" things with the netbooks on the ship ...would be appreciated :)

I have really appreciated all the help given me by all of you ..thanks so very much...

1ph

We can compare Acer netbooks on our Rotterdam sailing, LOL!:)

1. When we were on the Mercury in January, we were able to plug into outlets in our cabin and in public rooms and hope to do it again (when we have time) in May. Mercury had both North American and European style outlets. I was able to plug in my hairdryer on Amsterdam last year, so we are going on the assumption that we can also use our netbook this year.

2. Sorry, but Skype exceeds our (very) limited technical skills. It seems that anything phone/internet on board is quite pricey, but there are internet packages available. If your e-mail lets you compose offline, you can then transmit quickly (and less expensively). Our cell service is good only for calls originating in the USA.

3. Since most of our ports have long stops, we will probably seek out internet cafes to check our e-mail. Looking for free WiFi is another option. We are hoping that nothing will require us to call home during the cruise.

Hope this is of some assistance.

We're taking a eeePC 901 (Linus, 20 GB SSD drive) and a HP Mini 1030NR (Windows, 16 GB SSD drive). I prefer the SSD drives as they are almost immune to the jostling that a travel laptop takes. After travelling with my MacBook once and worrying all the time about keeping it from getting bumped or dropped, we bought a couple of these and several 8GB flash drives to offload photos onto as a backup and for additional storage (you can run programs off the USB drives).

I will say that the HP is lighter and has a bigger display and keyboard (though I choke everytime I have to use a Windows machine I bought it because I needed iTunes to be able to backup/repair our iPhones in case they crash.) The eeePC in Linux in very stable and almost impervious to virusus. Not a bad thing when using publicly available wifi.

I will say that my partner likes her little eeePC so much she uses it all the time at home instead of her mac desktop with its' 20" display! Wifi on both hook up effortlessly.

I have been reading this thread at the beginning and haven't read it for a while so I apologize if this has been asked--

I found this website:

http://safetravel.dot.gov/definitions.html#lithium_metal

regarding travel with these batteries. How do I find out the Equavilent Lithium Content of these?

I have as Acer Aspire One. I am looking to upgrade to a 6 or 9 cell.

Any luck on finding less expensive batteries?

Thanks

I used my Acer easily and wonderfully on Eurodam and loved it.

I had trouble connecting to WiFi at FLL airport. I looked around the few folks I saw using laptops were plugged in. I didn't notice anyone using laptop wireless.

What could I have done wrong that I couldn't hook onto the free WiFi at the airport? We were in Jet Blue terminal.

Thanks.

I used my Acer easily and wonderfully on Eurodam and loved it.

I had trouble connecting to WiFi at FLL airport. I looked around the few folks I saw using laptops were plugged in. I didn't notice anyone using laptop wireless.

What could I have done wrong that I couldn't hook onto the free WiFi at the airport? We were in Jet Blue terminal.

Thanks.

Sail, they most likely were using a phone card attached to their lap top thru their cell phone provider. FLL does not offer free internet. We were of course at Southwest right across from Jet Blue in December and I tried to connect but found nothing free.

Some airports offer for a charge access to internet and I have paid it if I knew we would be having a very long lay over but for an hour or less wait to board a flight I do not pay for it. Our McCarran Airport here in Las Vegas is one of the few airports in the US that has totally free wifi which is great :)

I had trouble connecting to WiFi at FLL airport. I looked around the few folks I saw using laptops were plugged in. I didn't notice anyone using laptop wireless.[/b]

Thanks.

It could be that your internal antenna isn't as good as theirs. Did you notice if any of them had an external antenna - a device about the size of a flash-drive sticking into a USB port and blinking while they worked? That could actually have been a flash drive or it could have been a USB network adapter.

Archived