Notepad computers for Cruising........

sail7seas

I just came across this on one of the TV shopping channels.

Is this a good buy? A good computer to bring on our cruises?

Enough Gig, memory etc? I don't want to lug one of our size laptops.

Price is $537 but $100 rebate. $29.99 S & H.

Thanks.

1420.gif

Click here for a $100 Mail-In Rebate for purchases made 1/1/2009 to 2/28/2009. Please print at time of purchase. Limit one per household.

Acer Aspire One 8.9" Intel Atom 1.60GHz Notebook Package

Choices: Available in Black, Blue, or White

Empower yourself with the incredibly light yet remarkably productive Acer Aspire One! This new, sleek notebook weighs in at only 2.19 pounds. Whether checking email, managing online accounts or chatting with friends, the Aspire One offers a familiar operating system, with Windows XP Home, that clearly organizes everything needed to surf the Internet, work or simply have fun. This smart laptop comes with built-in 802.11b/g WiFi for easy access to available wireless networks. The Acer Aspire One has an 8.9" CrystalBrite LED backlit display with a resolution of 1024 x 600 pixels and features the unique Acer CrystalEye webcam for live video streaming, video chats and conferences. Other great features include a 1.60GHz Intel Atom N270 processor, 1GB DDR2 533MHz memory (512MB onboard and 512MB in memory slot), a 120GB hard drive for digital storage, a SD Card reader, 5-in-1 media card reader, three USB 2.0 ports, and a variety of pre-loaded software. Travel light, but smart, with the new Acer Aspire One notebook computer!

Notebook Features 8.9" WSVGA CrystalBrite display

Intel Atom N270 1.60GHz Processor

1GB expandable to 1.5GB DDR2 SDRAM Memory and 120GB Hard Drive

Microsoft Windows XP Home

Acer CrystalEye Webcam

36 months parts and labor Notebook warranty (1 year from Acer and 2 year UWSC extended) Due to the size of this notebook, an optical drive has not been included.

Package Includes

JetFlash V33 2GB USB Pen Drive with pre-installed software

Laplink PC Mover With USB Cable Transfer

Kinimax USB Optical Mini Mouse

JetFlash V33 2GB USB Pen Drive w/ software

The very best in flash memory technology is at your fingertips with the JetFlash V33! The JetFlash V33 has an ultra-compact, curved, lightweight design. It features a pure white color scheme that is both simple and refined, heightened by a dash of color around the cap. The JetFlash V33 makes it simple and easy to store your personal files, documents from home, office or school, digital photos, movies and music on a flash drive smaller than the very fingers you hold it with. Never worry about running out of space again! Features

PC Software Bundle: Please see the "Additional Information" tab for a list of the exciting software titles included

Fully Hi-Speed USB 2.0 compliant, compatible with USB1.0/1.1

Easy Plug and Play operation

PC-Lock

Secret-zip function

DataBackup

Online update capability

Driverless

No external battery required

Compatible with: Windows Me, 2000, XP, Vista / Mac OS 9.0, OS X / Linux Kernal 2.4.2 or later

Enjoy this incredible offering that allows you to easily move your programs, files and settings from your old computer to your new one! Simply install the PCmover on both your old and new computers and watch it go. PCmover decides which of your programs, files, and settings need to be moved where, and when the quick and easy transfer is complete, your new computer will have the completer functionality of your old PC plus all of the pre-installed software it came with. From Windows 95 to Vista, this system works on most operating systems. Transfer your precious files and programs with ease! Kinimax USB Optical Mini Mouse

This USB Optical Mini Mouse is an excellent tool for mobile professionals. The 800 dpi resolution offers twice the accuracy of standard mice, and is ideal for graphics and web designers who demand pinpoint accuracy. It is small, lightweight, consumes virtually no room in laptop carry-bags, works on most surfaces, and needs just inches for accurate movement. Navigation made easy with the Kinimax Mini Mouse!

12 months parts and labor Mouse warranty Notebook dimensions: 1.14"H x 6.70"D x 9.80"W

**Notebook includes trial version software titles that have been pre-installed by the manufacturer.

Sail I just goggled Acer one here is what they are selling for elsewhere, check them out before you buy.:)

• Acer Aspire One

www.Amazon.com/Acer Acer Aspire One 8.9-inch Netbook Buy Now Save Up to 16%

Search Results

1. Shopping results for acer aspire one

Acer Aspire ONE A150-1006 - Atom 1.6 GHz - 8.9 ... $314 to $420 - 19 stores Acer Aspire ONE A110-1295 - Atom 1.6 GHz - 8.9 ... $300 to $393 - 18 stores Acer Aspire ONE A150-1570 - Atom 1.6 GHz - 8.9 ... $314 to $386 - 11 stores

These units are called Netbooks. They are very portable and frankly, I've been looking for one for a while. Some of my consulting clients have bought them to replace their PCs.

The basic unit is Linux and has a Solid State HD. The larger unit is Windows XP Home and comes with a 160 GB drive.

One thing you should realize is that it has no CD/DVD. You need to connect it external. And if you want to use it as a desktop PC, you still need to keep it open because closing it flat turns it off.

Pretty nice little PC. You can use wireless all over the place and slip it into a purse or backpack if needed.

Thanks.

Anyone know about this Acer specifically?

I saw it on Amazon....... Thanks, Bob. The price definitely is better but what about everything else that is included in the offer I posted? Is most of it incidental and not worth it?

I definitely want a Netbook but don't know WHICH one to choose. :confused:

It's not a good price even after the $100 rebate you'll wait at least a couple of months to claim. $300 would be more reasonable for the same specs at retailers like TigerDirect, and I've seen them well below $200 with no operating system. You're paying for the goofy Windows XP license, and the included "package" is crap.

Thanks..... that is what I wanted to know. I rather suspected most of the 'package' was just 'stuff' and of little value. Though I spend lots of time on my laptop, I still depend upon our techie guys (greatest guys in the world as far as I'm concerned :) ) to help me with the purchasing and set up. I was trying to do this without bothering them.

But, I do like the goofy Windows XP. That is worth it to me.

I had an Asus Eee and dual-booted Windows XP and Linux, but the keyboard was far too small for me to use comfortably. The keyboard on the Acer looks much more useable. 3G support would be nice to have, though. I wouldn't buy another netbook without it.

Ultimately I swapped my Eee for a refurbed MacBook Air; it was still $999 (plus tax) but it's more of a serious laptop. It's also missing an optical drive but I haven't used the one on either of my other two laptops since....well, I don't recall the last time I used it.

I got a Dell Mini-9 for my travels. It weighs only 2.3 lb and worked like a charm on my recent Amsterdam cruise, even in my cabin (which they got snarly about.) I got the package with 1-gig memory and 16-gig hard drive for $429. What can I say? It's a Dell... 'nuff said. :) I figured that for what I wanted it for, I needed the 1-gig of memory but didn't need the huge hard drive since I didn't plan to put all of my software programs on it.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop-inspiron-9?c=us&cs=19&l=en&ref=lthp&s=dhs

Pam,

You've been okay with the 1 Gig memory? I think it might be enough for what I want to do with this little netbook. I only plan to use it while traveling.

Do you load any of your travel photos in it while cruising?

I got a Dell Mini-9 for my travels. It weighs only 2.3 lb and worked like a charm on my recent Amsterdam cruise, even in my cabin (which they got snarly about.)

Are you saying HAL got "snarly" because you were using your laptop in your cabin? Please expand on this because I'm amazed HAL would care were you used it as long as they were getting paid for the minutes. I used my laptop in my Eurodam cabin (in Nov.) exclusively and never heard a peep from anyone about it. Is this a new trend?

Diane

Thanks.

Anyone know about this Acer specifically?

I saw it on Amazon....... Thanks, Bob. The price definitely is better but what about everything else that is included in the offer I posted? Is most of it incidental and not worth it?

I definitely want a Netbook but don't know WHICH one to choose. :confused:

Get over to Best Buy. I just bought my third Acer laptop from them. Acer's netbooks were in the $299 range. You can also buy an adapter which plugs into the machine and sends your email over your cell phone.

These are machines for email... and general surfing away from home.... and really nothing more. I do like their size... much smaller and lighter than any of my 3 Acer laptops.

Acer is VERY popular in Europe............many of my clients have them.. and well.. I've got my three. Lots of bang for the buck.

I didn't see the price. Check a website called Pricegrabber and you can see prices around the US.

I would strongly suggest the Acer over the Dell. The Dell is more expensive, only comes with a small solid state drive. The Acer is a better all around package.

Netbook models that I see a lot are:

Acer Aspire

Asus eeePC

HP Mini-Note

Dell Mini

(Listed in no particular order). I would select one with an Intel Atom processor; some of the first-gen netbooks are still available but don't have an Atom.

The biggest thing to look at with any netbook is the keyboard and display. People with large hands have problems using keyboards on some models. Surf some websites at a store and check "ease of use". Also, some have "solid state drives" instead of a conventional hard drive. However, the capacity is small (usually 4-16GB) and will fill rapidly especially if you're backing up photos. I'd stick with a 80GB+ hard drive.

I've seen the HP and Acer at Costco; a low-end Asus was even being sold at Target over the holidays. The deal in the OP isn't any great shakes IMO....you may do as well or better through Costco, Best Buy, or Amazon. Netbooks are definitely the hot item right now.

I bought a somewhat larger HP TX2000 series "tablet" with a 13" display last summer. Netbooks were just coming on the market and were unrefined. Also I wanted a DVD drive (to watch movies on the plane). The 12-14" class of laptops are nice if you want a less cramped keyboard, a nicer display, and a DVD.

Hope this helps!

I got a Dell Mini-9 for my travels. It weighs only 2.3 lb and worked like a charm on my recent Amsterdam cruise, even in my cabin (which they got snarly about.) I got the package with 1-gig memory and 16-gig hard drive for $429. What can I say? It's a Dell... 'nuff said. :) I figured that for what I wanted it for, I needed the 1-gig of memory but didn't need the huge hard drive since I didn't plan to put all of my software programs o

This is the same one I bought and as soon as Dell gets it to me I am sure I will love it. My regular laptop definitely weighs too much to lug around on a Caribbean cruise.

Leaving on the Noordam on Monday and I'm taking my Dell Mini. LOVE IT! I use it in the family room to surf the net and look at email. I could care less what other software is on it or available. I can travel with it, keep in touch with work and family, dowload photos to it, and it will take up hardly any space or weight.

I just came across this on one of the TV shopping channels.

Is this a good buy? A good computer to bring on our cruises?

Enough Gig, memory etc? I don't want to lug one of our size laptops.

Price is $537 but $100 rebate. $29.99 S & H.

Thanks.

1420.gif

Click here for a $100 Mail-In Rebate for purchases made 1/1/2009 to 2/28/2009. Please print at time of purchase. Limit one per household.

Acer Aspire One 8.9" Intel Atom 1.60GHz Notebook Package

Choices: Available in Black, Blue, or White

Empower yourself with the incredibly light yet remarkably productive Acer Aspire One! This new, sleek notebook weighs in at only 2.19 pounds. Whether checking email, managing online accounts or chatting with friends, the Aspire One offers a familiar operating system, with Windows XP Home, that clearly organizes everything needed to surf the Internet, work or simply have fun. This smart laptop comes with built-in 802.11b/g WiFi for easy access to available wireless networks. The Acer Aspire One has an 8.9" CrystalBrite LED backlit display with a resolution of 1024 x 600 pixels and features the unique Acer CrystalEye webcam for live video streaming, video chats and conferences. Other great features include a 1.60GHz Intel Atom N270 processor, 1GB DDR2 533MHz memory (512MB onboard and 512MB in memory slot), a 120GB hard drive for digital storage, a SD Card reader, 5-in-1 media card reader, three USB 2.0 ports, and a variety of pre-loaded software. Travel light, but smart, with the new Acer Aspire One notebook computer!

Notebook Features 8.9" WSVGA CrystalBrite display

Intel Atom N270 1.60GHz Processor

1GB expandable to 1.5GB DDR2 SDRAM Memory and 120GB Hard Drive

Microsoft Windows XP Home

Acer CrystalEye Webcam

36 months parts and labor Notebook warranty (1 year from Acer and 2 year UWSC extended) Due to the size of this notebook, an optical drive has not been included.

Package Includes

JetFlash V33 2GB USB Pen Drive with pre-installed software

Kinimax USB Optical Mini Mouse

JetFlash V33 2GB USB Pen Drive w/ software

The very best in flash memory technology is at your fingertips with the JetFlash V33! The JetFlash V33 has an ultra-compact, curved, lightweight design. It features a pure white color scheme that is both simple and refined, heightened by a dash of color around the cap. The JetFlash V33 makes it simple and easy to store your personal files, documents from home, office or school, digital photos, movies and music on a flash drive smaller than the very fingers you hold it with. Never worry about running out of space again! Features

PC Software Bundle: Please see the "Additional Information" tab for a list of the exciting software titles included

Fully Hi-Speed USB 2.0 compliant, compatible with USB1.0/1.1

Easy Plug and Play operation

PC-Lock

Secret-zip function

DataBackup

Online update capability

Driverless

No external battery required

Compatible with: Windows Me, 2000, XP, Vista / Mac OS 9.0, OS X / Linux Kernal 2.4.2 or later

Enjoy this incredible offering that allows you to easily move your programs, files and settings from your old computer to your new one! Simply install the PCmover on both your old and new computers and watch it go. PCmover decides which of your programs, files, and settings need to be moved where, and when the quick and easy transfer is complete, your new computer will have the completer functionality of your old PC plus all of the pre-installed software it came with. From Windows 95 to Vista, this system works on most operating systems. Transfer your precious files and programs with ease! Kinimax USB Optical Mini Mouse

This USB Optical Mini Mouse is an excellent tool for mobile professionals. The 800 dpi resolution offers twice the accuracy of standard mice, and is ideal for graphics and web designers who demand pinpoint accuracy. It is small, lightweight, consumes virtually no room in laptop carry-bags, works on most surfaces, and needs just inches for accurate movement. Navigation made easy with the Kinimax Mini Mouse!

12 months parts and labor Mouse warranty Notebook dimensions: 1.14"H x 6.70"D x 9.80"W

**Notebook includes trial version software titles that have been pre-installed by the manufacturer.

Hi S7S,

Santa made a late delivery to our house, leaving an Acer Netbook which we took with us on our January cruise on Mercury.:D I should warn you that I am severely technically challenged and definitely not an expert, but here are a few comments which may assist you with making a decision on this:

- There are two Acer netbook models: The A0A150-1570 and the A0A150-1049. We got the 1049 because at has a 160GB hard drive (120GB on the 1570) and a 6-cell battery (3-cell on the 1570).

- Using an external CD/DVD drive, we loaded on MS Word & Excel, which we use a lot.

- We loaded some important dox onto a USB flash drive and were prepared to load photos onto that if need be (we had sufficient memory on our sticks).

- Loved having XP as an operating system (still not sold on Vista).

- We accessed our e-mail when in free WiFi situations and everything worked well. DH loved having Microsoft games available on flights.

- Some people find the keyboard cramped. IMHO, it is, but this is not a primary use computer. Wish we had taken our mini-mouse with us on the trip. Perhaps a visit to a local big-box or computer store to try out the keyboard with your hands would be helpful to see if you think you feel comfortable with it.

- The portability factor was wonderful. The netbook was small enough to fit into the cabin safe on Mercury.

We are very pleased with this purchase and look forward to using it on all our future travels.

Hope this is of some assistance to you.:)

Sail, I strongly recommend you not buy any netbook until you have a chance to hold it in your hands and use the model you're considering. Keyboard and key size are very personal, and what works for one person may drive another to pull out their hair!

I'm visually impaired, and need larger font size = lower screen resolution. For something like that, I really need to "test drive".

So, I'm all for wandering down to Best Buy and "playing" with whatever they have.....then going to Tiger Direct on line, and seeing if they can beat the price.

Thank you all for your wonderful help.

Those who say I should go test drive it are absolutely correct and as soon as it stops snowing here, that is what I plan to do. I've wanted one of these netbooks since I first heard of them and it would be great to get it before our upcoming Eurodam cruise.

Really appreciate all the help you've provided.

Anyone have any experience with netbooks and different electricity? Do they work okay? Voltage converter necessary, etc?

I would have loved to have had one on my Egypt trip if they work well overseas.

It seems that these days most electronics are OK to be plugged into either 110V or 220V. The power pack will usually say if it is OK. It has been my experience that cell phone chargers, ipod chargers and battery chargers work with either. I had an IBM laptop a few years ago and even it ws OK for either voltage.

S7S,

Here is an article that I found a couple of months ago when I was looking into buying a small computer for travel. I don't know if it will help. The author was writing a comparison of 6 different mini's that are currently on the market.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/yshoppingarticles/173/six-windows-netbooks-rated/

Archived