Notepad computers for Cruising........

sail7seas

:D :D

The only nuisance about it is one more thing to have to fuss with when going through security at the airport. Take it out of the bag and turn it on etc security.

okay color me silly! I have never had to turn on my laptop when going through security in Denver and we are an international airport? I always have to take it out and put in separate bin but never open it up or turn it on?? Where did you have to turn it on for security?

okay color me silly! I have never had to turn on my laptop when going through security in Denver and we are an international airport? I always have to take it out and put in separate bin but never open it up or turn it on?? Where did you have to turn it on for security?

That's all I had to do in Boston and again in Fort Lauderdale recently.

OK you guys.....I have been lurking out here since this thread began and I just HAD to purchase one myself!! I got the Acer 6cell blue netbook from Amazon...I did quick shipping so it should here by Tuesday.....woo hoo!:D

... there is a free web site called skpe.com and if I download it I can see her kids when we use the notbooks at the same time. How cool is that?
Oprah uses skpe.com often on her show. :)
Skype. Yes, you can have conversations with "slow TV" pics.

Take it out of the bag and turn it on etc
I've never had to turn mine on!

OK you guys.....I have been lurking out here since this thread began and I just HAD to purchase one myself!! I got the Acer 6cell blue netbook from Amazon...I did quick shipping so it should here by Tuesday.....woo hoo!:D

What FUN!!! :)

I'm so happy we had this thread. Look how many of us are getting shiny new computers to enjoy. Good show.

I have never traveled with my laptop (didn't want to lug the heavy, full size ones) so am happy to hear I probably will not have to fuss with turning it on. It seemed to me I watched people take laptops out of cases and talk with security about them. Good news to hear it isn't another something to have to deal with.

I've traveled on planes with my laptop more times than I can count and I have never had to turn it on.

Early on they did make you do this, but no longer. Not one person around me ever turns theirs on either. They do require you put it in a separate bin from all your other stuff so you are pushing several bins along the tables.

I'm thinking Amazon owes Sail a commission! Not to mention several people on here who recommend it so highly!:)

Same here. Just make sure it's easily accessible in your carry-on so you can put it in a separate bin.

Another option is to purchase one of the new TSA approved laptop totes. They have a section that contains ONLY the laptop and will fold or slide out for going through the security x-ray. All other cables, etc. go in another section, and the case opens flat so TSA has a clear view of the laptop. After security you just zip the case back up, and your laptop never leaves the protective sleeve.

In Reply to one of the emails above--the acer is a fine model--but dont get a 9 inch screen if you can get a 10 inch...basically HP is nicest but pricey, acer is nicer too but for the money--you are best off with the asus 1000he (which by the way should ship in about 10 days) On similar subject I heard a rumor that HAL was no longer offering free wifi for the NY times like they had last year. It was nice as you could read the headlines for free--more info that the 4 page printed nytimes they had at breakfast. anyone know?

re locking this down, kensington sells a very compact cable lock--for about 20 dollars.

re locking this down, kensington sells a very compact cable lock--for about 20 dollars.

Check the going out of business sale at your local Circuit City. The one near me has a ton of Kensington locks for 20-30% off. Not a huge savings but every penny helps these days!

We have a Asus eeePC 901, 8.9 " screen (Linux 20gb SSD) and a HP Mini 1030NR (Windows 16gb SSD) and the HP being a 10" has a MUCH bigger and more usable keyboard, not that much different than my 15" MacBook. But, being a Mac user, the Windows OS is a pain, with all the constant security updates (33 of them yesterday and I just bought the thing a week ago!) The display on both is crisp and if you don't mind the cramped keyboard and you don't want to add a bunch of Windows software, I'd consider an SSD version of the Asus 10" eeePCs. (I haven't seen the 10" eeePC so I don't know if the keyboard is as cramped feeling as the 8.9" Asus. The SSD drives are nice for travel, you don't have to worry so much about knocking them about. I only bought the HP because I wanted iTunes when we travel. Also, the keyboard on the Asus models is much more 'clicky' feeling and I found the mouse (trackpad) buttons hard to push. The HP feels like my MacBook, nice soft keyboard keys. My partner uses the Asus all the time at home and loves it, though. You could always buy a tiny USB mouse and avoid the trackpad/buttons completely. I have one and it's TINY. Also, don't forget to get a good SD card to insert in either model's SD card slot to increase capacity, and maybe an 8gb flash drive (which can be found for under $20), you can actually download programs onto the USB drive and run them from there to save disk space. The USB drive is also a great place to store a backup copy of all those precious photos you're going to take.

If you know LINUX, there's lots of ways to customize the eeePCs, but they pretty much come loaded with anything you might need. Asus also has a download center that you can use to directly install programs (games, GIMP photo editor, etc) for free that are specifically formulated for Asus' particular build of Linux (Xandros 4). Perhaps some of this is a bit geeky but I have 7 computers and am frequently found running 3 or more of them at the same time! I'm new at these message boards and I don't know if there's some way for anyone with questions to email me directly through the board, but if there is and uou have questions, feel free to do so.

I just pre-ordered the Asus PC1000 HE which is not available yet.......but soon I hope. Said to have a 10" screen and bigger keyboard.

I have Linux running on my Dell laptop off a USB hard drive, and it works great. The plan is to get Linux on the new netbook using eeebuntu (a Linux version set up for eee netbooks) and booting off the USB hard drive.

Is that geeky enough for you?:)

Pete

I've already taken my asus 1000 HA 10" with XP on one long cruise and loved it. I tried the slightly smaller one and the keyboard was awkward, so went with the 10" one. What I love about this asus is the 1GB of RAM and the 160GB hard drive. I bought mine last fall, when the price was about $420, but now I see that it's down to about $360.

I installed a router on my "real" pc and now can sit and watch tv with the little asus in my lap and use it during commercials.

Thanks for the tip about the Kensington coil lock. Sounds perfect.

Oh my goodness........

We have a Asus eeePC 901, 8.9 " screen (Linux 20gb SSD) and a HP Mini 1030NR (Windows 16gb SSD) and the HP being a 10" has a MUCH bigger and more usable keyboard, not that much different than my 15" MacBook. But, being a Mac user, the Windows OS is a pain, with all the constant security updates (33 of them yesterday and I just bought the thing a week ago!) The display on both is crisp and if you don't mind the cramped keyboard and you don't want to add a bunch of Windows software, I'd consider an SSD version of the Asus 10" eeePCs. (I haven't seen the 10" eeePC so I don't know if the keyboard is as cramped feeling as the 8.9" Asus. The SSD drives are nice for travel, you don't have to worry so much about knocking them about. I only bought the HP because I wanted iTunes when we travel. Also, the keyboard on the Asus models is much more 'clicky' feeling and I found the mouse (trackpad) buttons hard to push. The HP feels like my MacBook, nice soft keyboard keys. My partner uses the Asus all the time at home and loves it, though. You could always buy a tiny USB mouse and avoid the trackpad/buttons completely. I have one and it's TINY. Also, don't forget to get a good SD card to insert in either model's SD card slot to increase capacity, and maybe an 8gb flash drive (which can be found for under $20), you can actually download programs onto the USB drive and run them from there to save disk space. The USB drive is also a great place to store a backup copy of all those precious photos you're going to take.

If you know LINUX, there's lots of ways to customize the eeePCs, but they pretty much come loaded with anything you might need. Asus also has a download center that you can use to directly install programs (games, GIMP photo editor, etc) for free that are specifically formulated for Asus' particular build of Linux (Xandros 4). Perhaps some of this is a bit geeky but I have 7 computers and am frequently found running 3 or more of them at the same time! I'm new at these message boards and I don't know if there's some way for anyone with questions to email me directly through the board, but if there is and uou have questions, feel free to do so.

Fantastic info for anyone who understands it.

Wish I did. :o

I'm sure it will help some of the more computer literate. :D

But for those like me who are simply self-taught, at home types......... No clue!!

I've already taken my asus 1000 HA 10" with XP on one long cruise and loved it. I tried the slightly smaller one and the keyboard was awkward, so went with the 10" one. What I love about this asus is the 1GB of RAM and the 160GB hard drive. I bought mine last fall, when the price was about $420, but now I see that it's down to about $360.

I installed a router on my "real" pc and now can sit and watch tv with the little asus in my lap and use it during commercials.

I ordered the "HE" version of what you have and it's just beginning to ship now. Should be about the same as yours with a 9 hour battery. I ordered a 2GB ram add on which will substitute for the installed 1GB. Probably overkill, but it was only another $25. or so. Only money!! Glad to hear you like the HA. HAHA

Pete

Archived