Notepad computers for Cruising........

sail7seas

That's quite a story about Best Buy, chloe's nana. No wonder these big box stores are having trouble!

I can't remember where DH bought mine...either Circuit City or Best Buy. But, I'd seen it at the computer store on the island so knew what I wanted.

I'm watching two of our granddaughters today, and the 8 year old is in the kitchen on my HP Mini. An added bonus...these small keyboard's are great for children's small hands. And now they won't be wanting to use my Dell Latitude!

Chloes Nana......what an awful experience.

Wonder if you think it worth it to contact Best Buy Corporate Headquarters. Maybe if they hear the reality of what is going on in their stores, there might be some action taken?

Good luck. I hope it straightens out fast and easy and you get your Acer.

Chloes Nana......what an awful experience.

Wonder if you think it worth it to contact Best Buy Corporate Headquarters. Maybe if they hear the reality of what is going on in their stores, there might be some action taken?

Good luck. I hope it straightens out fast and easy and you get your Acer.

I have gotten as far as customer relations and then I just got tired of fighting their system. A gentleman in CR tried to stop the one duplicate transaction and said it was probably cancelled, and I come to find out the next day that 2 orders were processed:( Guess the best action, is to take my business elsewhere, it may be only a $300 sale but every little bit will hurt companies nowadays with these uncertain economic times. And word of mouth of such unfortunate events is even more damaging to any companies reputation.

I so agree. NO business can afford this kind of fiasco and the bad 'word of mouth'.

I also feel they wear me out and though intellectually I know I should follow through on my complaint to corporate, I say, why should I spend my time and energy trying to get my message through to let them know what happens to real customers in their stores. If they make it so hard, I choose instead to vote with my wallet.

My wallet went to Amazon when I wasn't able to get what I wanted in Best Buy, Wal Mart or Staples. I tired to keep the business in my community. After dragging around to three stores, I got it at Amazon.

You must change your outgoing SMTP server IP address to the ship's 172.31.0.2. Since I'm sure you won't remember that, ask the Internet Manager for the wireless connection info sheet and look at the bottom on the back where it says "POP client users (Mail, Entourage, etc.)"

Be sure you make a note of what it is before you change it, and know how to change it back when you get home!

Ah. I'll have to remember this, since it happens at the cottage as well. Thanks!

My husband has no trouble, but he connects through his firm's VPN.

I went to Best Buy to purchase my Acer, they were all sold out and waiting for the new shipment to come in. The computer dept supervisor asked if he could help me, I explained what I wanted and he said we could order it online and wave the delivery charges. great!! So he goes to the teminal and rings up the copper colored Acer for me and the terminal crashes at the end, so no invoice or confirmation printed. He said the transaction didn't go through and my debit card wasn't charged. He re-rang it on another terminal and luckily my debit card company was smart enough to decline the duplicate charge. So I gave him my checking account debit card, a different one, and had him use that one. Well he rang it up and forgot to waive the delivery charge so he ran, (literally) to the front desk to see if he could redo this transaction. Okay at this point I have over $650 in charges and still not a correct one yet. He comes back 15 minutes later and says he "thinks" he has it all cleared up and done correctly. Well, there is another charge now for $312 for the little netbook I want. SO I walk out of the store last Thursday owing Best Buy close to $1000 for a $299 netbook, as of today I have two computers coming but nothing in my hands or bank account, I am now responsible to return the computer based on there mistake. Oh! best part, when I called the next day and asked for the store manager some guy got on the phone and pretended to be the manager named Brian, when I called back to speak to the store manager, they said there wasn't a store manager at this store named Brian. :mad: So really, Best Buys of this world can all go brankrupt in my books!!!

Very unfortante. I hope you will email, or even better snail mail a letter to corporate. I am sure someone at Best Buy would be very concerned about the kind of service you received.

What Fun!!!

I am right now typing on my new Acer and love it!

Takes a little getting used to but the touch is fine.

SOOO happy I got this little beauty.

The Techie nice fellow who just set it up for me said he is getting one for his girlfried. He has the fancy cell phone thingee but thought this terrific for just the use I intend it.

Ah. I'll have to remember this, since it happens at the cottage as well. Thanks!
But you can't use the IP address I gave you at the cottage - that's for HAL ships. I can't use Outlook Express at many places because I don't know the right addresses. :(

What Fun!!!

The Techie nice fellow who just set it up for me said he is getting one for his girlfried. He has the fancy cell phone thingee but thought this terrific for just the use I intend it.

You seem to use the same 'technical' language that I do! :D

So glad you are enjoying your new Acer. Have fun!

What Fun!!!

Sail, what programs did he install? Since I got the wireless connection up and working, my tech guy is going to take it to his office. I also got connected to my email at yahoo and HAL website by myself. Did he take off Macafee and give you a different spyware system? How about word or anything else?

Sail, what programs did he install? Since I got the wireless connection up and working, my tech guy is going to take it to his office. I also got connected to my email at yahoo and HAL website by myself. Did he take off Macafee and give you a different spyware system? How about word or anything else?

I want to keep the Acer as clean as possible. I really want it only for travel or the occassional 'away from my house' for the odd time here or there so we only loaded AOL, we left the pre-loaded Macafee, wireless, and I forget with word processing. I have a collection of gifs/photos in my documents I carried over as I use some in e-mails etc and that's about all we loaded. He said there is still lots of room for photos etc when we are traveling. I also have Yahoo e-mail.

I figure I can always add something if I really want it but doubt I'll see a need to.

Just dawned on me we didn't load printer. I can do that.

Totally off subject, but I just looked out my kitchen window at the most exquisite sight. Some very large evergreen (very tall) are swathed in golden setting sunlight. I have never seen this image in the many years we have lived here. Sun is at an angle, sunset is approaching, the evergreen of the trees is golden. Gorgeous!

The view sounds beautiful. I want to keep this clean too, but will also use it from some other rooms at home. Typing on the acer now. I find the built in mouse very sensitive to any touch. Think I'm going to get a wireless one. I'll let the tech guy decide if he's going to keep Macafee or install Symantic.I do plan to use the web camera to see my grandkids when I call my daughter since she has a mini too.

........... I want to keep this clean too, but will also use it from some other rooms at home. .

Carol, in your house you can share through your network. Hopefully you have a techie type who can help you with that. I have 3 computers connected to my wireless network and I can even open pictures on my laptop that are on my desktop. I can even copy them to my laptop. Also, if you have Word or the Office equivalent (forget the name) on your Acer, you can open those documents as well. So you don't have to actually load everything onto your Acer but still view it from there when you're home..

Make sense?:o

Thanks, Heather and Sail. I just asked him about that. Three of our computers are connected. Good idea. Love this thing even though I'm in the den now and it says the wireless signal is low from this room, it's working great.My guy is on vacation so it will happen next week.

Carol, in your house you can share through your network. Hopefully you have a techie type who can help you with that. I have 3 computers connected to my wireless network and I can even open pictures on my laptop that are on my desktop. I can even copy them to my laptop. Also, if you have Word or the Office equivalent (forget the name) on your Acer, you can open those documents as well. So you don't have to actually load everything onto your Acer but still view it from there when you're home..

Make sense?:o

Shoot, my computer guy was here yesterday because my Internet went down...wish I'd thought to ask him then! At his rates, I don't think I want to call him back in for that!

Did you do it yourself? I'm somewhat proficient with computers, I load programs and all that stuff, but wonder if this would be over my head?

Congratulations......

Did you get it on Amazon, Marle?

Actually, I meant I got his joke, :D but I am getting one. Hubby and I talked about it last night. Since I only need a few websites, (including my own) and email when I travel, it makes sense to take a little one. I have carted this one up to bars before, but, well, I'd rather not. :D

Amazon does not deliver to Canada so I'm at Best Buy or Staples. Both of them only offer the 8.9 though and I was thinking about the 10. May have to do a little more research to see if anyone here offers the 10. Of course, I suppose I could call Acer Canada.

I'm thinking copper myself, and I too love Picasa!

I'm so excited to know everyone is getting their little Acer. Aren't they FUN! :) We just ordered a USB tv adapter ($29) so we can record some tv shows and movies to watch in the air - and while stranded in airports. Nice little way around the lack of a CD drive.

Marie7 - Another option is the MSI WIND - 10" that Staples carries. I've read very good reviews on them.

We cruise the PC for 21 days mid April, so am waiting to check out the upcoming netbook crop & their prices before I pick up one to take along.

For anyone wanting a larger screen with the same light weight there is Toshiba's R500 Portege with 12" screen. Approx. 2.4 lbs with battery.

I'm so happy laptops are finally getting lighter.

Riana

Archived