Notepad computers for Cruising........

sail7seas

jtl513,

Guess we'll take it on the cruise after all. My husband is still on the phone with son in law changing settings on my laptop so the notebook can be on our internet connection.We were really surprised that our neighbors have unsecured networks. If it works for travel, that is good enough for me. we have a desk top and a laptop so don't need to use notebook at home.

San Diego Sue

Are you both running unsecured? Or did someone else set up the encryption key to match your routers?

Not if you use the same 3-prong plug and 120v that the US uses. :)

Yes. My Techie set the encryptions on all our computers to match our router. Often if I want something done on my laptops, DH brings them downtown with him. Techie said No, he'd come to the house to set up the wireless.....knew I'd mess it up. :D

To Marle7,

guess what? My husband went to Starbucks to see if internet works there. Well, he noticed when he went into tools, that it was at a setting that said, off line. No one had told him to check there, with all the tech support time on the phone. He got on line. when he came home, still couldn't connect to our internet, but all my neighbors came up and we got on through theirs. I guess it does work. My husband is on the phone with my son in law now who is walking through getting on our internet. Hopefully we can get it done tonight.

Next time, we hire someone.

San Diego Sue

Excellent!

OK maybe some one here can help me. We have a secured router that we set up when I got my lpatop 4 yrs ago. It is password secured with about 20 or 30 characters. Unfortunately I cannot find the password. I have the IPod Touch but cannot use it at home with the internet because I do not know the password. I am also thinking about getting a new lap top once I am back to work. Does anyone know if there is a way on my home computer to to check what my password was on the Linksey router?

BTW everyone in my area has pass word protect WiFi I know some areas do not but not here.

OK maybe some one here can help me. We have a secured router that we set up when I got my lpatop 4 yrs ago. It is password secured with about 20 or 30 characters. Unfortunately I cannot find the password. I have the IPod Touch but cannot use it at home with the internet because I do not know the password. I am also thinking about getting a new lap top once I am back to work. Does anyone know if there is a way on my home computer to to check what my password was on the Linksey router?

BTW everyone in my area has pass word protect WiFi I know some areas do not but not here.

This answer will depend, in part, in how your system is set up. On all recent routers there is a web page on the router that you can go to to check the set up. In most cases if you right click on the wireless adapter, left click on status, then left click on support you will see the address of your computer. The line that says default gateway in most cases will be the address of your router. Type that into your browser (IE, Firefox, etc) and you will be greeted with a sign on page based on the make of your router. If the default user / password has not been changed, you can find them with google and the router model number. Then there will be tabs for wireless, then wireless security and typically you will be able to see the password there.

If all else fails, you can do a hard reset on the router (method varies) and re establish your security key.

I looked at your post again and noticed you said linksys. The router address should be 192.168.1.1 with a blank user name and admin for password (default).

Rich

Thanks Rich,

Still doesn't work. Called Tech support, on phone for an hour, still no go.

For the person who thought I didn't have internet to connect to (wouldn't I be a dumb dumb). I have computer as well as laptop, all working well.

Tech support suggested we go down to Starbucks and try it there. maybe something with our home computer that isn't allowing it. Don't think that is the problem , when plugged into internet it works fine, just wireless not doing it.

Thanks for everyone's input. I am so envious. We leave next week on cruise and was looking forward to bringing it with us.

San Diego sue

To Marle7,

guess what? My husband went to Starbucks to see if internet works there. Well, he noticed when he went into tools, that it was at a setting that said, off line. No one had told him to check there, with all the tech support time on the phone. He got on line. when he came home, still couldn't connect to our internet, but all my neighbors came up and we got on through theirs. I guess it does work. My husband is on the phone with my son in law now who is walking through getting on our internet. Hopefully we can get it done tonight.

Next time, we hire someone.

San Diego Sue

Sue, I don't think the question was whether you have access to the internet in your home, but whether you have a wireless router (like Linksys or Netgear) connected to your internet.

You may have answered this and I apologize if you have, but I didn't see you mention that. Having the wireless connection on your Acer is useless if you don't have a wireless router connected to your computer.

I, too, am astounded that there are still people out there who have not secured their network! Yikes!

OK maybe some one here can help me. We have a secured router that we set up when I got my lpatop 4 yrs ago. It is password secured with about 20 or 30 characters.

Does anyone know if there is a way on my home computer to to check what my password was on the Linksey router?

Lisa - Do have a "Wizard" application to add new computers to your network? If so, that should tell you.

My Tech asked me the passpword the other day when he came and I looked at him blank. He's the one who set up the router and our wireless to begin with so I asked him what he would have used>>??? :D

Sure, enough, he was able to find it on my exisiting computer and could set it up on my new Acer.

BUT thanks for reminding me to find out what it is from him before he leaves the company and I can't find him in the future. :eek:

Or, at least.....how I can find it on my computers myself.

I know I'm going to regret asking this, John, :D ,

but what is a 'wizard' application.

(Ducking for covering the hands over head......... :eek:

It's just a program that leads you through the steps of setting something up by asking you questions. In this case, it would probably be called something like Network Setup Wizard. :) If you can't find one, follow the steps that richwmn gave 4 or 5 posts back to log onto your router and look under a tab called Wireless for the WEP key. It will be 26 characters long, in hexadecimal (that is, composed of digits 0123456789abcdef). Write it down and store it someplace! :)

Lisa - Do have a "Wizard" application to add new computers to your network? If so, that should tell you.

It's just a program that leads you through the steps of setting something up by asking you questions. In this case, it would probably be called something like Network Setup Wizard. :) If you can't find one, follow the steps that richwmn gave 4 or 5 posts back to log onto your router and look under a tab called Wireless for the WEP key. It will be 26 characters long, in hexadecimal (that is, composed of digits 0123456789abcdef). Write it down and store it someplace! :)

Yes, I have in my Control Panel what is called "Wireless Setup Network Wizard" I would have thought I already had this set up.:confused: So if I follow thru this and give it a name (which I have never done) it will tell me what my password was?

By George.......

I followed all the steps, John, and got to the final page where this appeared:

Firmware Version: v7.50.2

Wireless Wireless-G Broadband Router with SpeedBooster WRT54GS

Setup Wireless Security Access Restrictions Applications

& Gaming

Administration

Status

Basic Wireless Settings |

Wireless Security |

Wireless MAC Filter |

Advanced Wireless

Settings

Wireless Security

Security Mode: DisabledWPA PersonalWPA EnterpriseWPA2 PersonalWPA2 EnterpriseRADIUSWEP

Default Transmit Key: 1 2 3 4

WEP Encryption: 64 bits 10 hex digits128 bits 26 hex digits

Passphrase:

Key 1:

Key 2:

Key 3:

Key 4:

Key 1, 2, 3 and 4 all have letters/digits but none of them are 26 characters in length. Which (what combination of them) would be the number I should keep?

Thanks, AS ALWAYS!! :)

By George.......

I followed all the steps, John, and got to the final page where this appeared:

Firmware Version: v7.50.2

Wireless Wireless-G Broadband Router with SpeedBooster WRT54GS

Setup Wireless Security Access Restrictions Applications

& Gaming

Administration

Status

Basic Wireless Settings |

Wireless Security |

Wireless MAC Filter |

Advanced Wireless

Settings

Wireless Security

Security Mode: DisabledWPA PersonalWPA EnterpriseWPA2 PersonalWPA2 EnterpriseRADIUSWEP

Default Transmit Key: 1 2 3 4

WEP Encryption: 64 bits 10 hex digits128 bits 26 hex digits

Passphrase:

Key 1:

Key 2:

Key 3:

Key 4:

Key 1, 2, 3 and 4 all have letters/digits but none of them are 26 characters in length. Which (what combination of them) would be the number I should keep?

Thanks, AS ALWAYS!! :)

Sail - I'll bet you have 10 characters which is a lower level of security. Each of the four keys is valid for use when you try to use the wireless system, although the first is generally the one used.

Rich

As much as I hate to say this, you may need to give Linksys tech support a call and they can help you reset your password. I had to do this not too long ago when I got a new computer and couldn't remember my password. Be prepared for a long wait on hold but they are very helpful and it didn't take very long after someone finally took my call. Good luck!

Diane

Sail - I'll bet you have 10 characters which is a lower level of security. Each of the four keys is valid for use when you try to use the wireless system, although the first is generally the one used.

Rich

:) Yup!! You are right again!

They are all 10 characters.

Is that adequate or should I change it?

Thanks, again, and again, and again....... ;)

It is adequate for a home system. If you choose to change it, you would then have to change the key on each of the wireless devices you connect with. Another consideration would be how close other computers can get.

FWIW - all the security systems for wireless have been cracked. It is just a matter of how much time it takes and how big a target you are. Most home systems are not worth the trouble.

Rich

i took a look at the little Acer at Costco today while I was out, and for me, the 8.9 inch is just too small. I don't think the 10 inch is available in Canada, at least that I can find, so I may have to wait for the new Dell to come out.

10 hex digits gives you 64 bit encryption. 128 bit encryption would be better, but you'd have to change all computers to a new long WEP key. I'd say just stick with the lower!! :D:D

My whole goal is small....... ;) That's the point! I have larger, larger.... I wanted smaller. :D

Each to their own.

I love this Acer and that is why I went to some effort to get one. :)

There's small and then there's microscopic.:p I have very small fingers, (ring finger is a size 4) but I had some trouble with the keyboard. The 10 inch would probably work well, but I can't get it here that I know of. I will give Acer Canada a call in the morning though to check.

10 hex digits gives you 64 bit encryption. 128 bit encyption would be better, but you'd have to change all computers to a new long WEP key. I'd say just stick with the lower!! :D:D

After I went through all the steps and determined the password (happily and appreciatively), I went to make a record of it for the future and guess what I found??? The Password I had stored when the Linskeys was installed. :D I had put it right where I knew to look for it but ,,,,,, duh, I didn't look for it when the Techie came. :o Oh well, at least I verified I have it right.

Thanks, I'll stick with this number.

There's small and then there's microscopic.:p I have very small fingers, (ring finger is a size 4) but I had some trouble with the keyboard. The 10 inch would probably work well, but I can't get it here that I know of. I will give Acer Canada a call in the morning though to check.

Marle, Of course, if it doesn't work for you, you obviously should not buy it.

You might describe the phone/computer I-phones as microscopic but I hardly describe 8.9" as microscopic. That's not the word that comes to mind for me.

Happily for me, it works just fine. Not everything on earth is meant to work for everyone and doesn't need to. You don't need to like it. :)

Hope you find one that YOU like.

Archived