Questions About Tipping on Cunard Ships!

The Real PM

We used to tip extra consistently no matter what cruise line we were on. Generally cruise Princess, HAL and Celebrity. But I'm sad to say service in general is not what it use to be. Consequently, we tip for room service, and consider tipping extra if service merits it. But more often then not, we feel the service is mixed and we leave the auto tip as is and let it go at that.

We are going on the QV in 2011, looking forward to our first Cunard cruise. zHope service improves on the QV.

I don't think we should tip extra if service does not merit it. Then we are rewarding staff for less than their best. No incentive to improve that way.

• 2 weeks later...

When I researched my cruise I was reassured to find that all meals were provided. I made the not unreasonable assumption that they would be cooked for me and, unless I was dining in the buffet, be delivered to my table.

It was reasonable, therefore, to assume that the cost of employing someone to cook and someone to deliver would be factored into the cost of the cruise and that those costs would provide those employees with reasonable remuneration. If they don't, then the cruise company is being dishonest in the pricing of the cruise and should adjust it accordingly. If they do, then by tipping, or paying the 'hotel levy' (aka 'auto tip'), I am paying for the service twice.

That said, if someone provides me with service above and beyond that which I should reasonably expect, then I will happily tip them.

Hhi guys I was gonna ask this question but was scared to start another tipping thread!!!! I know about the auto tip and will tip extra for great service,but the 15% charge at the bar does that go to the barman or in a pool?

This will be our first cruise of any kind.

Cheers gaz

gaz it goes into the pool. Give the server cash, and ask him/her to take it as a complement from you. If you ad it to the bill is pool.

Mike

When I researched my cruise I was reassured to find that all meals were provided. I made the not unreasonable assumption that they would be cooked for me and, unless I was dining in the buffet, be delivered to my table.

It was reasonable, therefore, to assume that the cost of employing someone to cook and someone to deliver would be factored into the cost of the cruise and that those costs would provide those employees with reasonable remuneration. If they don't, then the cruise company is being dishonest in the pricing of the cruise and should adjust it accordingly. If they do, then by tipping, or paying the 'hotel levy' (aka 'auto tip'), I am paying for the service twice.

That said, if someone provides me with service above and beyond that which I should reasonably expect, then I will happily tip them.

digi, I find it amazing that if you are paid US$ 180/per month which is the average wage for the customer staff on Cunard, that you can maintain a staff of servants.

And since you have determined that your fare is paying for your transit, have you considered that those traveling in higher grades may have paid for some of your cost.

Premium passengers on long haul air flights pay 90% of the cost of every economy passenger. So there is no fair fare there. And that includes sea transport

Cheers Mike

IMO $11 per person per day is sufficient for tipping, although we also tend to give our waiters, wine waiter and cabin boy a littlt extra. However, the staff are more interested in you recommending them for "worker of the month" as the winners usually get a day off. I have never found any of the staff on any Cunard ship less than brilliant both service wise and, as someone else has said, entertainers.

digi, I find it amazing that if you are paid US$ 180/per month which is the average wage for the customer staff on Cunard, that you can maintain a staff of servants.

Sorry, but I don't follow what you are saying here.

And since you have determined that your fare is paying for your transit, have you considered that those traveling in higher grades may have paid for some of your cost.

Premium passengers on long haul air flights pay 90% of the cost of every economy passenger. So there is no fair fare there. And that includes sea transport

My view is very simple: I have been quoted a price for a service, I accept the quote and pay the quoted price. There should be no need to pay anything else. If the supplier has not quoted an amount sufficient to meet their expenses (including paying their employees a reasonable, living wage) then they should review the prices they quote rather than expect to recoup the difference later through a compulsory levy.

That someone decides to pay more than I to enable them to travel in a different area of the ship or aeroplane is not a matter for me even though they might be subsidising my arrangements.

Bear in mind the local currencies for workers on a cruise ship when trying to work out wages.

$180 = 8,336.52 rupees or 615.87 Malaysian ringits or 35,918.74 Hungarian forints or 5,441.29 Russian rubles or 5,974.22 Thailand bahts.

So what seems low for us in the western countries is probably a fortune in those countries. Countries like those above also hold ship workers as high earners, many people actually try and get work in cruise lines as those jobs are premier posts for them...the equivalent to high end executive posts for us.

When you look at it in the local currency, and then realise the cost of living is considerably less in those countries, the wages are prety good. But that shouldn't stop anyone adding extra to the service charge/autogratuity if they so wish.

Sorry, but I don't follow what you are saying here.

My view is very simple: I have been quoted a price for a service, I accept the quote and pay the quoted price. There should be no need to pay anything else.

Agreed, but subject to the terms and conditions in the contract, on the website and in the brochure - tipping is covered therein. Oh, and it's not compulsory - there is the option to opt out, should you be so inclined.

I really could not care less about the ins and outs of tipping, but it is made pretty clear that, unless you have it removed, an amount to cover it will be charged daily to your on board account. If they decide to change this policy, it will simply be added to the price...

Mary

If they decide to change this policy, it will simply be added to the price...

Which, in the interests of clarity and honesty, is where it should be.

The way in which cruise companies disguise the real price of cruises is (almost, in those instances where the hotel charge can be removed) on a par with the dishonest pricing of some airlines where flights are advertised for pence only for compulsory charges for check-in, baggage, the use of credit and debit cards etc etc to be added on later and so inflate the real cost out of sight.

I prefer it to be included in the price. We've travelled on Seabourn and it's much more civilized not to have to deal with ghastly, awkward tippping. We still make a donation to the crew welfare fund at the Pursers desk on Seabourn but since drinks are included, you don't tip for drinks, or room service for that matter.

I hate ordering room service on Cunard because I never know whether to tip, or what to tip. If I have coffee delivered and tip two or three dollars, will the server be grateful or embarassed? If someone tipped me two dollars for doing my job I'd be mortified....but then I'm not in a service industry.

Just raise the price a little, have no tipping and bring back civility and gracious service!

I prefer it to be included in the price. We've travelled on Seabourn and it's much more civilized not to have to deal with ghastly, awkward tippping. We still make a donation to the crew welfare fund at the Pursers desk on Seabourn but since drinks are included, you don't tip for drinks, or room service for that matter.

I hate ordering room service on Cunard because I never know whether to tip, or what to tip. If I have coffee delivered and tip two or three dollars, will the server be grateful or embarassed? If someone tipped me two dollars for doing my job I'd be mortified....but then I'm not in a service industry.

Just raise the price a little, have no tipping and bring back civility and gracious service!

I agree with these sentiments. HOWEVER, I think it is inevitable that even on these 'tips included' cruises there would still be people who tip, and who make it known that they tip. This has the result that those who do not tip, or at least some of them, will feel perhaps some peer pressure to conform. Plus, the staff will equally inevitably come to expect something extra and the whole thing goes around again. I fear it is an intractable problem. Lords knows there have been enough words written about it on here and other forums for everybody in the cruising industry to be aware of what a source of severe rectal discomfort it is for so many of their customers. The fact that nothing is, or can be, done to alleviate worries about this simply demonstrates that the industry is perfectly happy with the present arrangements and to hell with the customers.

A Resigned Gari