Trip Insurance- To get or not to get

D&S GoGoGo

Hey All,

Any advice on Trip Insurance? Trying to decide if this is something worth getting or not getting. Can anyone share any experiences that they have to help sway me one way or another. I am a bit of a "worrier" by nature and could use some advice, since this is all new for me and have never had to think or plan to get insurance when traveling. :o

Thanks in advance for the advice.

It may depend where you are going and if you have any insurance that goes with you??

I don't purchase additional insurance, my choice only. I also know I can afford to loose funds IF it comes to that, which it hasn't, and I travel 12 weeks/year. With your "worry" reference, you might want to consider it??

I always purchase insurance when I travel. The cost of the premium is a VERY SMALL price to pay compared to the price of the overall trip. You can read on these boards of countless incidents where people didn't have insurance, and due to some unfortunate incident, were unable to travel and lost their entire trip. I got ours independently from an on-line agency and it covers everything from flights,to bags, hotel before-hand and afterwards, as well as the cruise and all of the other incidentals for both of us. It was about $125.00 total. To me, that was worth it!

I always purchase insurance when I travel. The cost of the premium is a VERY SMALL price to pay compared to the price of the overall trip. You can read on these boards of countless incidents where people didn't have insurance, and due to some unfortunate incident, were unable to travel and lost their entire trip. I got ours independently from an on-line agency and it covers everything from flights,to bags, hotel before-hand and afterwards, as well as the cruise and all of the other incidentals for both of us. It was about $125.00 total. To me, that was worth it!

I agree and that's what I am thinking. Is insuremytrip.com reliable that you know of, or can you make another suggestion?

I agree and that's what I am thinking. Is insuremytrip.com reliable that you know of, or can you make another suggestion?

That's exactly who I used and there were so many choices that I didn't know which to pick. I called the 800 number and the representative was very helpful. He went over my trip with me and helped me select the one that would best suit our needs. And the best thing was, I was leaning toward a more expensive one and he said I didn't need it...that seems pretty reliable to me:D

That's exactly who I used and there were so many choices that I didn't know which to pick. I called the 800 number and the representative was very helpful. He went over my trip with me and helped me select the one that would best suit our needs. And the best thing was, I was leaning toward a more expensive one and he said I didn't need it...that seems pretty reliable to me:D

THANK YOU!!

I think its a small price to pay, to be safe then sorry. I will put the other half ( Better half ;)) on it!!

Thanks again!

Yes, also consider:

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/

Very nice people - you can actually talk with an expert who will recommend what you need. In my case, his recommendation resulted in my spending less.

Insurance of any kind is not needed until you need it and then it's too late! Trip insurance is a relative low cost when compared to the trip cost. Get it and hope you do not have to use it and if you do need it..well you're covered.

Get it ;)

Trip insurance is like our AMEX cards - we don't leave home without it:D.

God forbid either DH or I had an illness or injury while cruising and needed to be medevac'd that alone can set you back over $25K:eek:.

Great!! Thanks all, I appecaite all the advice!!!

It looks like the OP has already decided, but I thought I'd post my view also.

One has to remember several things when deciding to purchase insurance or not. 1) does you medical insurance cover you when out of the US? And if so, does it extend to medical evacuation? If not, just one accident (or illness) that caused you to be airlifted off of the ship could cost in excess of $100,000. I'm sure not many just have that sort of change lying around. 2) Can you afford to lose the entire cost of your trip? If you can, then maybe insurance isn't for you. But if losing 2, 3, 5, 7 thousand dollars is a problem for you, then again, insurance is necessary. Also remember that even though you may be healthy (and young) othes around you may not be. If your mom or dad or grandparent pass away suddenly two days before your trip, you are $crewed without insurance.

Like most of you, I've spent enough on insurance over the years to go on another cruise. But to me, it's money well spent. Just MHO.

CG

It's well worth the price. Sailing back into NYC on the NCL Dawn the 'storm of the century', in Feb '06. All the airports were shut down. For the $120.00 I spent on the insurance, i claimed $300.00 in expenses. That's just for the hotel and food. I've never had to claim for anything serious.

The trip insurance is *so* worth it. On our first cruise (our honeymoon), my husband and I ended up missing the ship due to a 'flight crew delay' which lasted hours and hours, and then a weather delay right after that which left us 6 hours in the plane on the tarmac. We were headed Toronto to San Juan, so all of these delays combined meant that we missed our ship. Anyway, we had travel insurance and they paid about $2500 to us for various things from phone bills, missed nights on the cruise, taxis, etc. We always purchase our insurance through Royal Bank Insurance - I'm not sure if you have that in the States though.

Anyway, speaking from experience - ALWAYS go for the insurance - it's worth it!

Trip insurance is worth is. We got stuck in the Feb 07 Jet blue shut down and spent two days in the Boston airport. Could not get down to Fl on any airline as it was feb school vacation week. Missed our 9 day southern carib cruise on the Pearl. No insurance, 6 people two balc cabins. About $8k lost.

Jet blue did not help with any of the cost (only with the air), so I wrote NCL. They gave me 75% back towards a future cruise. NCL was great about it, but insurance would have covered 100% and less worries. We went on the pearl 90 days later. Wonderful trip and a wonderful cruise line. Always get the insurance now, just in case.

Insurance of any kind is not needed until you need it and then it's too late! Trip insurance is a relative low cost when compared to the trip cost. Get it and hope you do not have to use it and if you do need it..well you're covered.

Get it ;)

AGREE. Great summation.

Hey All,

Any advice on Trip Insurance? Trying to decide if this is something worth getting or not getting. Can anyone share any experiences that they have to help sway me one way or another. I am a bit of a "worrier" by nature and could use some advice, since this is all new for me and have never had to think or plan to get insurance when traveling. :o

Thanks in advance for the advice.

You buy travel insurance for the same reasons you purchase auto, homeowner, life and medical insurance.

is it worth it?Doesn't not matter how healthy you may be currently. Do you have $50,000 to pay for being evacuated off a ship at sea? Or for your body to be repatriated to the US? do you have medical insurance that covers you on the ship AND the money to pay that cost up front then get reimbursed? [seek insurance that pays immediately] Or that pays for medical care in a foreign country, again up front? Do you have an immediate family member who has a medical condition? Mother with Heart disease perhaps? doesn't matter if she is not going. If she could have a heart attack while you are gone then you need pre existing condition coverage. Being delayed and having to catch up to your ship, or being cancelled due to illness etc. and luggage protection are the small benefits of Proper trip insurance.

try insuremytrip.com to compare coverages and costs.

All the money I've spent on insurance I could have taken another cruise:mad:

Well the same could be said for auto insurance also. The money I have spent on auto insurance I could have purchased a new car or two. But then there was that day when my brand new car was totaled by a driver with no insurance. Thank goodness for insurance:D. If you happen to get very sick outside of USA is where the insurance is worth every penny you have spent over the years and then some.

• 3 weeks later...

Depends on the situation for me...for instance I am more likely to get insurance for a cruise than a land trip. I am more likely to get insurance for an overseas land trip than a domestic land trip. I am MOST likely to get insurance for a cruise during hurricane season. Getting sick/hurt and needing to be evacuated is also a big concern.

BTW If you're not worried about trip cancellation, there are medical/evacuation-only plans as well.

Best money you will ever spend for something that you will (hopefully) never use. The medical evacuation portion alone makes it worth the cost. I take great satisfaction in throwing out those 50 pages of policy after a trip. (and yes, I DO print it out and take it with me!)

I agree with everyones posts about trip insurance. I also purchase insurance for all my cruises. That little extra money spent can determine whether you one day may have thousands of dollars in debt. You never know what could happen. I typically purchase it from quotewright dot com and print a copy of it when I go away. I spent $60 on the insurance for 2 people for my upcoming trip.

I always buy the insurance too. A few years ago my nephew got hurt on the Dawn when he fell and cut his head badly and needed staples to close the cut. Although we all had insurance, NCL did not charge for the medical services they provided. I was surprised to see that there were quite a few people in the medical center waiting to see the doctor. I think it's always better to be prepared because anything can happen.

Archived