Review - Journey Jan 19 Caribbean

tgg

What a great decision we made when we booked the Jan 19 Journey cruise in the Caribbean. We got back yesterday, so I’m trying to write this when everything is fresh in my mind. Rather than go through the cruise port by port, I’ll highlight what was memorable for us.

The Passengers: About 60% of the passengers were from the US. Almost 20% were from Canada (Vancouver, Toronto area, Montreal, Ottawa, and elsewhere), and there were many people from the UK. We also met people from Denmark, France, Germany, Brazil, and Belgium. I’m sure I missed a few other countries. This mix of passengers gave the cruise a distinctly international flavor (or for the Brits and Canadians: flavour) which we loved. We were told that the crew is from 60 countries.

The Staff: In this highly competitive economy, providing great customer service seems to separate the winners and losers. On the Journey, I got the impression that everyone wants you to have a great cruise. Crew members greet you with a smile; officers are highly visible and approachable. Wherever you go, people are cleaning and keeping the ship looking great. Leisl, the Cruise Sales Manager and Captain’s Club representative, has a million dollar smile and a can-do attitude. She doesn’t really sell cruises as much as she makes it possible for you to get all the information you need to decide which cruise would be right for you. What a pleasure she is to deal with. Ngawhira Fleet, the Guest Relations Manager, tries to keep people happy even when they are being completely unreasonable and demanding. I wouldn’t want her job. And Niyazi Korkmaz, the hotel manager, takes passengers’ suggestions seriously and makes changes quickly. He is all over the ship all the time. The captain greets people and is very friendly. In a very low key way, the senior officers always seem to be checking to see whether there is anything that needs attention. Several passengers mentioned this.

The Food: I love fresh berries (not frozen) for breakfast, and I had fresh raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries every day at breakfast. There were also walnuts, pecans, pine nuts, plus three other kinds of nuts I didn’t recognize to add some crunch to breakfast. Desserts were fantastic, especially everything made with their wonderful dark chocolate. The filets and steaks were first rate. Everything is beautifully/artfully presented. The pumpkin soup and the wild mushroom soup were my two favorites. I could go on and on (and I did, which is why I’ll avoid the scale this week.)

Entertainment: I’ve sailed on both Oceania and Azamara and I find the entertainment not only better but more varied on Azamara. Highlights on this cruise were: Eric Brouman who is part of the entertainment staff but who also does a comedy and magic show that is fascinating and hilarious, and harpist Mary Amanda Fairchild, who is a wonderful musician, and who also did a lecture and demonstration about the harp. Those who attended got to play the harp. In addition, Don Enright, a Canadian naturalist gave a series of presentations that drew large audiences. You could find him around the deck all the time taking pictures of birds and fish. Everyone was highly approachable. I wish I could remember the name of the juggler (yes, a juggler) who did an amazing show who was both talented and very funny. Did I mention Nicky who gave dance lessons as well as destination lectures? If you were bored on this cruise, shame on you. There was something for everybody.

Shore Excursions: We do our own shore excursions, either with a private guide or using a map and public transportation. On Virgin Gorda, where we had been before, we skipped The Baths and discovered Savannah Bay Beach. A huge beach, it was virtually deserted and had amazing snorkeling. My husband said that I was in the water for almost an hour. In Antigua (we went there when we couldn’t go to Guadeloupe because of labor problems) we went on a 6 hour sail and snorkel trip on a Wadadli Cat boat. Good snorkeling, great crew, yummy food, and a 68 foot boat for only 25 people. A perfect day.

Embarkation and Disembarkation: When we boarded at 1:00 (for a 5:00 sailing) there was no line at all. We’d preregistered on the web site so the process was effortless. We were given a 9:00 disembarkation time and we were off at 9:15. No complaints.

Kids on Board: There were two kids from Denmark, an 11 year old boy and his older sister. The boy showed us how to use the Wii bowling, which was fun. These were the kind of kids you would want to travel with, friendly and well mannered. Another family had two very young kids that we didn’t hear a peep from. One of the ship’s officers had his wife and toddler on board.

Cruise Critic Get Together: We were greeted by the Cruise Director and senior staff members with champagne and wine. Beautifully presented hors d’oeuvres were passed by attentive waiters. It was fun to meet the people who had been posting and get to know a few of the lurkers.

Past Guest Cocktail Party: This was something new on this cruise, and I think that there will be more of this in the future. Captain’s Club has always been a Celebrity program. I think an effort will continue to be made to recognize repeat Azamara passengers separately. The guest list included almost 50 people. There were a wide variety of cocktails available plus wine and champagne. The hors d’oeuvres were elegant. Senior staff expressed their appreciation for our continued support.

Value: I don’t think you can touch Azamara right now when it comes to bang for the buck. I expected that some corners might be cut in this tough economy because the fare was beyond reasonable. That hasn’t happened.

I would recommend Azamara to anyone who enjoys: a small ship where you can get to know lots of people, open seating dining, no formal nights, very limited smoking, and a staff that is committed to service, service, service. I’m ready to go back.

We will be on board the Journey for her Feb 12th Caribbean sailing. Your review has really inspired me and now I am even more anxious to get on board! Glad you had such a good time and thanks for posting your review.

Any indication that the labor strife in Guadeloupe is ongoing and may affect subsequent cruises? Can you describe Savannah Bay Beach a bit further please? How far from ship? Did you cab it there? Any facilities nearby to buy a picnic lunch or something?

Thanks!

Hi Tgg !

Thank you for your outstanding review. I am happy to hear you had a great time on Journey.

You mentioned some very dear friends in your review. I have had the pleasure of meeting Niyazi, Ngawhira and Liesl on past sailings. They are all wonderful ! I agree with your comments about Ngawhira. She is extremely friendly, and eager to please... even in the most difficult situations, and has an incredible "can do" attitude. I agree that it is an extremely difficult job. Trust me, I know. They are all a true credit to Azamara.

I am very sorry to say, unless something quickly changes, that I will not be sailing on Azamara this season. You have no idea how much I wanted to sail on Journey, but work and Family concerns have stopped it from happening. Of course, they must come first.

I truly hope to sail on Azamara again, perhaps in Late 2009. We will see what happens.

Great review! Informative, inclusive and positive--just what I like when I am getting ready to board the ship in less than 2 weeks.

I am concerned about the labor problems on Gaudeloupe as we have a private excursion (along with 7 others from the ship) scheduled. Was any indication given as to the type of labor problems and if they are ongoing?

thanks again,

Mom C

Thank you for your fab review. I have been reading lots about Azamara and there have been very mixed reports. We are departing on Feb 24th around the Caribbean. Our last cruise was on a Crystal ship which I think will take some beating but having read this, I am very excited. Thank you again.

The main reason for booking the Journey southern Caribbean sailing is to visit Guadeloupe. My wife has been there once while attending a conference and she loved it. She has been looking forward for many years to go back with me. So it would be a great disappointment if we missed it.

At this point, however, I can see a lot of reason why I would want to do this sailing, with or without Guadeloupe. We will have to take it as it comes. :)

Thank you tgg for posting your nice review.

Harcin, Savannah Bay is about 6 minutes away by cab, which charged us $5.00 each in each direction. There are no facilities of any kind at the beach. There are some palapas (about 7, I think) that provide great shade. We brought water, lunch (made at the buffet that morning), and snorkeling gear. It is the kind of pristine beach that people dream about finding. The water was pretty calm and there was no sharp droppoff to worry about. None of the pictures of Savannah Bay that I've found on the internet capture the sweep of the beach or the color of the water. You'll love it.

Guadeloupe is in turmoil. Below is a Reuters release (Feb. 2) describing what is going on.

PARIS: A French minister flew to the Caribbean island of Guadeloupe on Sunday for talks aimed at ending a 13-day general strike over pay and prices that has paralyzed the French territory and threatens to fuel dissent at home.

Business leaders have warned of economic ruin if the dispute is not resolved soon and officials are anxious to prevent any contagion to the French mainland, where unions are demanding more government action to tackle the economic crisis.

"We must not underestimate the fears and anger which have been strongly expressed by our compatriots in Guadeloupe," said Yves Jego, the minister for French overseas territories who was due to arrive on the island later Sunday.

"Given the scale of the crisis and the risk it poses to Guadeloupe, we need serious and coordinated action from all the players involved," Jego said on his blog.

Guadeloupe is a region of France and is therefore part of the European Union. It has almost half a million inhabitants and is a popular tourist destination, but some hotels say they will have to close their doors if the strike continues.

dot_h.gif

An alliance of 47 unions and local bodies known as the Lyannaj kont pwofitasyon - whose name in Creole means "Let's stand up to fight against all sorts of abuses" - began their protest on Jan. 20 over the cost of living.

They have drawn up a list of 146 demands including an increase in the minimum salary of €200, or $257, a freeze on rents and a cut in taxes and food prices. They also want an immediate 50-cent reduction in the price of a liter of petrol.

Island authorities have rejected the demands and the local government official representing Paris quit negotiations with the alliance on Wednesday.

Adding to the problems, the island has been hit by a parallel dispute by gasoline station workers, protesting against the opening of new stations on the island, which kicked off on Jan. 19 and has caused a drastic shortage of petrol for drivers.

The head of Guadeloupe's regional council said Jego had to come up with new proposals to resolve the situation.

"The situation is very serious. We cannot have a strike that goes on for a month," Victorin Lurel told RFO Guadeloupe radio. "And this is not just about money because this is a real social crisis. Some see it as a constitutional crisis."

The Guadeloupe dispute has come against a backdrop of growing tensions in France over the global economic downturn.

More than one million people took to the streets of French cities on Thursday to protest against President Nicolas Sarkozy's handling of the crisis and unions have promised more stoppages if the government does not do more to help consumers.

Thank you tgg for explaining the reasons for the unrest. Hopefully this will not spread to the other two French islands - Martinique and St. Barts. :eek: It would change the flavor of the whole cruise. :(

Gerry

Thanks again for a great review and the followup information. My wife and I have been chafing to return to Guadeloupe as well as Martinique. Hope it stays contained if not resolved. Nonetheless, we are looking forward to a great cruise.

Bill

and LOVED it! Do you remember if Captain Smith was the Master on your cruise? He was fantastic! So friendly and really explained each departure over the PA and how he was going to handle the cast-offs etc. And we went you of the way to talk and greet passengers..he even came to the CC gathering! We are on board in March for the Carib. so hope he will be there! LuAnn (so glad you had a great time!)

Thanks tgg for the information about Savannah Bay. Your description just may have changed some of my plans for Virgin Gorda! Although I agree with Gerry about changing the flavor of the cruise should the unrest spread to the other French islands, and we are unable to dock at them, it certainly will not change my goal of rest, relaxation, meeting new friends and getting the heck out of this bone chilling cold!

As for JanCruz1 - enjoy every one of your "09 cruises!

Thanks tgg for the information about Savannah Bay. Your description just may have changed some of my plans for Virgin Gorda! Although I agree with Gerry about changing the flavor of the cruise should the unrest spread to the other French islands, and we are unable to dock at them, it certainly will not change my goal of rest, relaxation, meeting new friends and getting the heck out of this bone chilling cold!

As for JanCruz1 - enjoy every one of your "09 cruises!

Thanks..so many of my friends want to come with us..I am sure we will have a great time..everyone should check them out the prices are unreal!

Jancruz1

The only bummer we have to wait 90 days for the first one..LOL

Thank you all for your kind comments.

LuAnn, Captain Smith is not the master at this time. However, officers move from ship to ship with some frequency. So you never know who will be aboard when you sail. Niyazi and Leisl were just rejoining the ship for this cruise. Niyazi told me he will not be aboard for the cruise we're considering for June.:(

Most of the senior officers attended both the cruiseciritc get together and the Azamara previous guest party. The captain attended both.

Jan is right about the prices; they're unreal This is why we have switched from Oceania to Azamara. We don't feel that we've sacrificed quality for price. In fact, in some ares like entertainment, we feel Azamara does a better job. I'm not a high maintenance person. If the waiter is not right at my elbow with coffee the minute I sit down for breakfast (and they often are), I'm not averse to getting up and going to the coffee machine for a fresh-brewed cup. However, I do want our cabin to be spotless, the ice bucket refilled, the fruit and flowers fresh, and a group of fellow passengers who are down to earth and outgoing. Azamara meet all these requirements.

harcin,

If you decide to go to Savannah Bay, try snorkeling toward the center of the beach, rather than near the entrance on the left side. You'll be able to see the line of the reef in the water. Moving to the middle of the beach made a huge difference in the number and variety of both fish and coral. I saw stoplight parrotfish (there were at least 3 kinds of parrotfish), trumpetfish, and turtles and other things. Best snorkeling since Caneel Bay.

Happy cruise.

harcin,

If you decide to go to Savannah Bay, try snorkeling toward the center of the beach, rather than near the entrance on the left side. You'll be able to see the line of the reef in the water. Moving to the middle of the beach made a huge difference in the number and variety of both fish and coral. I saw stoplight parrotfish (there were at least 3 kinds of parrotfish), trumpetfish, and turtles and other things. Best snorkeling since Caneel Bay.

Happy cruise.

Thank you so much for all your wonderful information. I finally broke down and bought my own snorkel gear just for beaches like this! Is it possible to do the Baths for awhile (never been to V.G.) and then get over to Savannah Bay? Since it is so deserted, my dh will not want to spend alot of time there so I was just wondering if doing both is possible?

Doing both is possible if you get an early start. The people on our cruise who went to The Baths said it was a zoo, totally overrun with people from the ship and also people staying on the island. The rock formations are otherworldly, and climbing over (and between) them is interesting if you are somewhat agile. Savannah Bay Beach is like paradise, quiet and pristine. We didn't want to leave.

They are also in opposite directions, which is not a problem because there are lots of taxis available and the distances are short. Renting a car is also a possibility. Then you can come and go as you please. (They're on the same road so it is virtually impossible to get lost.)

Hope this helps.

ternstail, we were anchored off SpanishTown.

Peter, we arranged for the same cab to pick us up at a specific time. He was there at exactly the arranged time. However, there was a cab dropping people off that would have taken us back to the dock. Because the beach is not the madhouse that the Baths is, we thought it would make sense to be sure to have a ride back. I was kind of sorry that we hadn't allowed more than 3 hours. It would have been nice to spend the entire day there.

We have only been to Virgin Gorda once, while cruising on the Quest last March. We found Little Dix nearly deserted. The hotel alows visitors to use all the facilities (even have a wait staff walking the beach). Only a $3.00 cab ride each way pp.

We are going again this march (in 3 weeks) on the Jurney.

enjoy whichever beach you go to.

Old Buddy

harcin,

Happy cruise.

Regarding Little Dix- did you have to pay anything to use the resort's facilities??? How far from the dock was it???

Thank you!!!

Linda

The resort is about 10 mins from the harbour, when we visited the Hotel would not allow us to use the pool or loungers but we could use the restrooms, bar/restaurant. It is a beautiful beach check out the website

http://www.littledixbay.com/

We will be visiting again in a few weeks .

take care.

Archived