LIVE from Explorer with a bad propellor 2/1/09

megr1125

J

Anyone heard anything from anyone currently on the Explorer? I find it kind of strange no one has posted since it left? makes you wonder if the internet is down on the ship? Computer glitch ? Royal hiccup ?

Good Luck

Jimbo:)

Maybe they are having too good of a time to post.:)

Lately it doesn't take much to confuse me. :confused:

Was Valley Church Beach part of a tour? Looks Beautiful:)

Yes it was part of the tour. You did not get time to go into the water, just about 15-20 minutes. We usually do not do beaches but it was beautiful. I have to find the name of the tour. My old docs are hiding from me right now. I hid them at Christmas time. I am going to the excursion website and see what it is called. If you want to spend sometime there, I would not take the tour. I am not sure how far it is from the pier because we had done a few stops. There is a website for this beach. I will post it later.

Yeah I know...I tried to look to see the itinerary too but it is gone from the website. Perhaps you are right and they do start with Labadee and end with San Juan. I guess that would make sense if it is true that they changed the San Juan times, being that they would then leave San Juan earlier in order to get back to NJ on time? But not sure why they would need to change the time for the second stop (which I suppose is either Samana or St. Thomas, depending on which itinerary they are sailing.) I too was hoping to hear from someone currently on board the ship. I thought someone did post from the ship saying that they changed the San Juan times...so I thought that was "official" but of course now we are hearing otherwise. Ugh.:confused:

According to Google Earth, Explorer is now at Labadee so San Juan must be last island.

The 9 day itinerary is:

Feb. 13 - Cape Liberty

Feb. 16 - San Juan

Feb. 17 - St. Thomas

Feb. 18 - Samana

Feb. 19 - Labadee

Feb. 22 - Cape Liberty

The little bit of info that has been posted by on-board cruisers have mentioned San Juan times, so it seems like they are on the right course.

"........The 9 day itinerary is:

Feb. 13 - Cape Liberty

Feb. 16 - San Juan

Feb. 17 - St. Thomas

Feb. 18 - Samana

Feb. 19 - Labadee

Feb. 22 - Cape Liberty........"

We are on the 9 day EOS 3/27 9 day cruise and just got our docs which has this itinerary:

27 Mar Cape Liberty

30 Mar Labadee

31 Mar Samana

01 Apr St. Thomas

02 Apr San Juan (7AM-2PM)

05 Apr Cape Liberty

Bob

I agree with you Lloyd,

I'd rather skip San Juan than cut port time at the rest of our ports. Aruba was a great stop even though we missed the ship in Miami due to a Blizzard (Feb 2006) up north. RCI was wonderful to us, they changed our flight (we were going to leave on Mon), we left JFK on Weds to Aruba, they put us up for two nights (5 of us) until the ship arrived in Aruba on Friday. That had to be our favorite cruise. The past two cruises we have been on have not really been up to par, we'll see what happens with this one.

NYSH

The 9 day itinerary is:

Feb. 13 - Cape Liberty

Feb. 16 - San Juan

Feb. 17 - St. Thomas

Feb. 18 - Samana

Feb. 19 - Labadee

Feb. 22 - Cape Liberty

The little bit of info that has been posted by on-board cruisers have mentioned San Juan times, so it seems like they are on the right course.

It makes much more sense that they are on the reverse schedule - leaving San Juan earlier to come home because of slower speed. And, like I said, Google Earth is real time - the ship is in Labadee as I write.

We are on the 9 day EOS 3/27 9 day cruise and just got our docs which has this itinerary:

27 Mar Cape Liberty

30 Mar Labadee

31 Mar Samana

01 Apr St. Thomas

02 Apr San Juan (7AM-2PM)

05 Apr Cape Liberty

Bob

Really???? Mine is the opposite and I am in 2 sailings. Very strange. Maybe they flip back and forth every other 9 day sailing??

If so, sorry for the assumption.:o

It makes much more sense that they are on the reverse schedule - leaving San Juan earlier to come home because of slower speed. And, like I said, Google Earth is real time - the ship is in Labadee as I write.

You are right, it does make a lot more sense. This whole situation has me so confused, I don't know what is right anymore.

Google Earth isn't real time :confused: It's just a coincidence that the image of Labadee on Google Earth has Explorer berthed there. It certainly isn't real time in my town or the car which I parked on my drive 10 minutes ago has disappeared - oops no, there it is, I can see it through my window;)

When i got OFF Friday, that little on board times sign was updated....the 1st port of call on the cruise that LEFT on Firday the 13th(:eek:) is Labadee!

They may well have reversed the order of ports for this cruise....but they didnt tell the departing pax that info....but the ship SHOULD be at Labadee according to the sign.

i know this is a very interesting thread...but now maybe that the ships is ''sorted'' ( or am i wrong.... ???) we are sailing soon on the 5th april

that we should end the thread and revert to the......

all things explorer thread..........

what do uthink

On EOS right now - NOBODY is saying anything about the Propeller - no word as to why San Juan was changed - they have cancelled about 3/4 of the excursions - time in San Juan now scheduled for 6 am to 11 am - what a worthless stop - few of the shops will be open - not enough time to get to a beach - they should have just cancelled the stop - what bothers me more than anything is the lack of information coming from RCL - it is like everyone has been told to be quiet.

Very Annoying from someone who usually defends RCL.

Lou

I think Lou was reporting that San Juan is the LAST stop and is being shortened. That would make sense with the slower sailing speeds. Labadee is indeed the first stop then. Here on the Cape Liberty website you can see all of the 2009 Explorer itineraries. You can see that they are indeed reversing the order of every other 9-night cruise.

It appears they repaired the prop somewhat, but not 100%. This is allowing them to visit each port, but having to slightly shift the arrival of the first port and departure of the final port. However, with Tortola off of the 13 day cruises, I don't think an adjustment needs to be made since there is an extra day at sea. So, on my 13-night I expect we will go to San Juan (our first port) but just get in later than originally planned.

I think Lou was reporting that San Juan is the LAST stop and is being shortened. That would make sense with the slower sailing speeds. Labadee is indeed the first stop then. Here on the Cape Liberty website you can see all of the 2009 Explorer itineraries. You can see that they are indeed reversing the order of every other 9-night cruise.

It appears they repaired the prop somewhat, but not 100%. This is allowing them to visit each port, but having to slightly shift the arrival of the first port and departure of the final port. However, with Tortola off of the 13 day cruises, I don't think an adjustment needs to be made since there is an extra day at sea. So, on my 13-night I expect we will go to San Juan (our first port) but just get in later than originally planned.

May I ask who told you Tortola is off the 13 day cruise? I am on the 13 day cruise April 26th and San Juan was removed awhile back, but have Not heard of Tortola being taken off!

Thanks for the site, that does clear things up a little.:p:rolleyes:

Now if we could only get some straight answers, things would be much clearer.....

Can someone tell me what 'OBC' is? I've reading this thread on Labadee, Haiti (which sounds like a scary port call) is propeller's are broken and how many times has RCCL cancelled this port?

Thanks,

Terri

It means On Board Credit. For example, if you were to receive a credit on your Ship Pass account it is called an OBC. You can use it towards paying your bill.

Can someone tell me what 'OBC' is? I've reading this thread on Labadee, Haiti (which sounds like a scary port call) is propeller's are broken and how many times has RCCL cancelled this port?

Thanks,

Terri

Labadee is anything but scary. It is quite a nice place. It is far away from ever day life in Haiti. RCI had some labor issues recently but it is safer than almost any place in the Caribbean. Scary can be summed up in 1 word. JAMAICA.

May I ask who told you Tortola is off the 13 day cruise? I am on the 13 day cruise April 26th and San Juan was removed awhile back, but have Not heard of Tortola being taken off!

I meant 12-night cruises. I guess I wish mine was 13 nights... :D :D

Yes, many of the 12-night cruises this winter lost Tortola from the itinerary. Not sure why, I've heard political unrest on the island and/or work going on at the port. I'm inclined to believe the latter over the former.

Labadee is anything but scary. It is quite a nice place. It is far away from ever day life in Haiti. RCI had some labor issues recently but it is safer than almost any place in the Caribbean. Scary can be summed up in 1 word. JAMAICA.

Even more specifically, Montego Bay. I had a taxi ride once through a shanty-town in Montego Bay that included a forced stop for money with about a hundred hands coming in the windows. Never seen anything like that at Labadee!!

Hi Carol! :)

Just a heads up...

Every six months or so I post this so people can beware of this poisonous tree that is found on many Caribbean beaches. Most are marked with an X danger sign, but I've seen many that were not marked, and better safe than sorry.

Your photo reminded me to post it again...The leaves are broad but more pointy than those in your photo, and the fruit looks like a round apple. I'll try to find a photo.

Description and Habitat

The manchineel is a tree reaching up to 15 metres high with a greyish bark, shiny green leaves and spikes of small greenish flowers. Its fruits are green or greenish-yellow when ripe.

The manchineel tree can be found near to (and on) coastal beaches throughout the Caribbean and in Central America. It provides excellent natural windbreaks and its roots stabilise the sand, thus helping to prevent beach erosion.

How poisonous is it?

Contact with the manchineel tree can cause severe medical problems. The milky sap causes blistering, burns, and inflammation when in contact with the skin, mucous membranes1, and eyes.

• The leaves, bark, sap and fruit of the tree are all poisonous. Contact with any of these causes contact dermatitis symptomised by painful blisters.
  • Eating the fruit, which has a very sweet smell and a pleasant taste, can be deadly. Swallowing even a tiny amount of the fruit will cause blisters and swelling in the mouth and throat.
  • Standing under the tree is hazardous if it is raining. The water passing through the leaves and fruit will cause burns and blisters if it comes in contact with your skin.
  • Cutting this tree will cause the sap to squirt. Contact with this will cause blisters.
  • Burning this tree results in the sap being carried in the smoke and this will affect the eyes and skin of people in the vicinity. If sap (or smoke from the burning tree) enters the eyes it can lead to blindness.
  • Carib Indians2 used the sap of this tree to poison their darts and were known to poison the water supply of their enemies with the leaves. As a form of torture they would tie victims to this tree and leave them exposed to the elements (especially rain).
  • The only animal that is known to be able to eat the fruit of this tree without risk is a species of land crab.

Warning!

In many places the tree carries a warning sign alerting people to the dangers. In other places, a red 'X' painted on the trunk serves as a warning. Despite this, many people are treated every year after some sort of contact with this tree. Children, especially, need to be warned. After all, they can easily be fooled by the sweet-smelling, plum-sized fruit.

So if you are on holiday in the Caribbean and you see a manchineel tree - do not touch it, do not put your beach chair under it and do not shelter under it when it rains. Most importantly, do not let your children near it.

Wow, ive been to over 20 islands in the Caribbean and have never heard of this tree. Thank you so much for posting this information and I will be on the look out for the manchineel tree and warn others.

Even more specifically, Montego Bay. I had a taxi ride once through a shanty-town in Montego Bay that included a forced stop for money with about a hundred hands coming in the windows. Never seen anything like that at Labadee!!

Pretty amazing what a fence, locked gate, and a guard with a gun can accomplish.;)

BAGS were out! I do not get, well...'upchucky' BUT i took a couple bonines.....i TRIED to walk down the steps...started on the right side, wound up on the left...it was REALLY hard to walk straight early on, hmm..i guess it was thursday! Holy cow....what a mess!

You really had to hold the rails....(i guess i should have had a drink-that way if you are unstable due to seas AND booze, they 2 unstables should equal out to stable eh???:confused::confused::D

Spent 90% of thursday alternately laying down and packing...boy was THAT fun!

Even some crew were sent to their cabins due to being lovely shades of green!

Meg,

Thanks for all the information you gave us - someone I work with is on the Explorer now - I can't wait to hear what he has to say when he gets back to work on the 25th. I was also wondering what it was like coming back - the weather here was awful winding .

Pat

Meg,

Thanks for all the information you gave us - someone I work with is on the Explorer now - I can't wait to hear what he has to say when he gets back to work on the 25th. I was also wondering what it was like coming back - the weather here was awful winding .

Pat

Pat - please post back here when your co worker returns and let us know any info on the prop, shortened or skipped ports, etc.

thanks!

Archived