Opinions Please

fleeflicker

I am cruising in a few days with my DD, who will be turning 1 the day before the cruise. I'll let you know how it goes, but we obviously expect that we will make some sacrifices as a result of bringing her. However, the biggest sacrifice for us would be to NOT bring her.

Of course, we will be considerate of other passengers and will remove her if she becomes unruly. However, she generally only complains if she is hungry or tired. Those two things are easy to fix.

I don't know about your little one, but babies are babies. Your vacation will obviously be different than going solo.

The one thing I will say is that I wish we could have waited until she turned 3 so she could participate in the kids' activities, giving us some alone time. The thing is, this cruise was for Grandma's 50th birthday, so we were not given the option to wait!

I say, bring your child with the expectation that you will have to make different choices about excursions, etc.

Happy sailing!

It just depends on the parent and the child. Some kids couldn't care whether they are at home or away, they are going to be content and happy either way. Other kids the second you take them away from their comfort zone or their schedule, it completely upsets them. If you and your child are adaptable, then yes a cruise can be great. You know your baby best and what will make you both happy.

I think the biggest issues come when the parents don't adjust their expectations - they expect the cruise to be exactly like it was prebaby. They don't realize they may not be able to be out partying like they used to or that perhaps that long quiet formal dinner might have to be cut short when baby needs to go back to the room or that the excursions that they used to do aren't a great idea with an infant or toddler. Basically the ones that aren't prepared to make adjustments for baby being in their life are usually the ones that end up with the issues.

We sailed with our 3 1/2 month old last year and had lots of fun. Of course a 3 1/2 month old might be easier than an 11 month old - less aware they are in someplace strange and can sleep anywhere. We'll see how it goes this year when he'll be 15 months. I really do think it just depends on parent and child. As another poster said - how adaptable is the kid? And then also - how adaptable/laid back are the parents?

We cruised with our son when he was 3 months old, 9 months old, 13 months old, and 18 months old. He was easiest at 13 months. I have to say that the staff on the cruises was always pleased to see him because many of them have their own children that they really miss and were happy to see a little baby. We also never encountered any rude comments from other passengers, and many of the older ladies would come over to play with him because he was "just like their grandson". However, we were alwasy vigilant with him, and if a crying fit took place, we would remove him from the situation, and did spend more time in our room than we had pre-baby. I have to say that our last cruise, with him at 18 months, was not at all relaxing. Still, we prefer a non-relaxing cruise with a baby to leaving him at home.

Why would the RCI board "blast" you? Tons of RCI passengers cruise with little ones! At that age, it's not so much, "will the child have fun", but will you? Cruising with a baby takes some planning and won't be like a "honeymoon" cruise, but it will still be fun!

I guess it depends on what you're looking for in your cruise experience!

I have cruised with a 3 mo. old, a 6 mo. old and and a 13 month old and I have to admit I didn't cruise again until my son was almost four. I don't think 11 months is a good age for cruising. On most ships (except NCL) you pay full freight and the 11 month old won't eat much of the food, can't use the pool or youth program and they are either crawling or toddling at this age (which I don't know if I'd want my baby to be crawling on a cruise ship). Toddlers are even worse- they like to RUN.

My son was happy to go with babysitters at 13 months but some children experience separation anxiety at the 1 year mark- so this is a crapshoot. Unless you have extended family with you- I wouldn't consider it.

I have cruised with a 3 mo. old, a 6 mo. old and and a 13 month old and I have to admit I didn't cruise again until my son was almost four. I don't think 11 months is a good age for cruising. On most ships (except NCL) you pay full freight and the 11 month old won't eat much of the food, can't use the pool or youth program and they are either crawling or toddling at this age (which I don't know if I'd want my baby to be crawling on a cruise ship). Toddlers are even worse- they like to RUN.

My son was happy to go with babysitters at 13 months but some children experience separation anxiety at the 1 year mark- so this is a crapshoot. Unless you have extended family with you- I wouldn't consider it.

I think everybody's situation is different.

If you do not have family or someone you trust totally to take care of your child while you are on a cruise, then by all means take them.

If you are post baby and you and your husband need some adult time and you have family you totally trust then I say give yourself a break. I took care of my grand daughter during the week for the first 18 months of her life. Would she have been just fine with me for a week while my DD and SIL took a week trip, the answer is yes.

With the stress of the world right now I think a husband and wife going on a trip by themselves is a salvation. The time will come that your child will be so excited about a vacation and the memories will stay with them forever.

We did take a trip in 2007 with 20 family members. The grand daughters were 4 & 9. They still to this day talk about that cruise.:)

We cruised when our first was 11 months old and it was an excellent experience. We did adjust our expectations accordingly to do everything we could to have a nice cruise (she napped everyday in the stateroom, we kept away from organized excursions where we could get "stuck" with an unhappy child, we had early seating for dinner and one of us made sure we were back in the room with her at a decent hour so she could sleep.

I must say that having the buffet and variety of food available on the ship really helped transition her from baby food to regular food. She went on the ship eating out of jars and came off eating like a regular person. It was just so easy to say - hey, maybe she'd like a bit of waffle or some soup when you didn't have to make it yourself.

My son will turn 3 on Sunday...on the 15th we will take him with us on his 4th cruise....We do not have any family to watch him....so he just goes with us everywhere!!...He has also been to Negril and will be with us in Grand Cayman this June...we used in cabin sitting on last cruise....that was great!!...This year he will have days in Adventure Ocean and nights with in cabin sitter....Just have fun....my oldest will graduate from high school this year....wish he wanted to go with us!!!!....more fun at home without mom and dad..ha ha

Just be sure to bring an umbrella stroller. We traveled a lot when our son was very very young and they were perfect. He often slept through long quiet dinners in the stroller. I think it is easier to travel with babies before they begin to walk- they can't get away from you as quickly! Be sure you bring something for seasickness just in case your child begins to suffer- check with the pediatrician.

And it isn't just the cruise that will be different than pre-baby- life is! And will remain different for about the next 20 or so years. And then it will be different because you are a lot older.

Thanks everyone for your input, you have provided valuable information. In reference to the RCCL board, I have seen some rude comments on there when people ask certain type questions and I just wanted to avoid any rudeness. I have never run across any on this board, that is why I posted here vs RCCL

I took my daughter to Disney for the first time when she was about 15 months old and she loved it. No kidding. As long as you do as it sounds like you are doing and realize that you'll have to make adjustments, you'll have a great time.

If you are worried about getting the evil eye from people just look around you and you'll see just as many people of all ages giving you supportive smiles. Try to focus on the positive and go with the flow.

I also would bring an umbrella stroller (a maclaren would be great) and whatever other type snuggli carrier you normally use. We had an umbrella stroller with DD this summer at age 5.5 and it came in really handy when embarking and disembarking. Even if you are holding your baby when you board, the umbrella stroller gives you a place to stash your other things including the diaper bag. (Or in our case the bathing suit bag, LOL).

:)

Everyone is right, if you are flexible with your expectations it can be a very enjoyable vacation. We sailed with our DD at 7mo, 12mo, 19mo, 24mo, 27mo and 3yrs. It does get a little more challenging once they are mobile because they dont want to be still. They are naturally curoius and want to explore. We just spent lots of time strolling the ship and walking around. It definitely helps if you and DH can trade off so each gets some relaxing time. Even better if you have family there to help. We would try to put her to sleep in the stroller in the evenings and go to a quiet lounge and have some mommy daddy time. The balcony works too. Just keep to your child's schedule of eating, napping, be flexible and you will have a great vacation!

we're about to cruise with our 6 1/2 month old. just like you probably already have in "real life", you are going to have to make adjustments. have fun, if your baby makes noises while you're somewhere and YOU don't think it's appropriate, leave. but don't feel pressured by others.

the one thing you might not want to do, which i agree with, is don't change your baby in the middle of a public space.

Archived