Dress Code in Specialty Restaurants?

rickdeni

Thanks for all your answers. I am going to forget the suit and just pack smart casual clothes for my husband.

OMG! Please just ignore all these other postings, pack what you just said, and enjoy your cruise!!!! There are NO fashion police on the ship, just on these boards.

Judy

While you have the answer book open flick to page 25 and give me your interpretation.

BTW - Material things are not important to me - other than my Vette, Cadillac and other in my collection - I also have a 2K CZ which looks exactly like a 2K diamond at less cost.

Anyway - I am just looking for a real answer, and as you can seee, Johnmik just posted in opposition of your allegedly correct answer.

Do we have a case of parrallel worlds going on here?

Now, I am going to bed. See you in the morning.

Ron

First off, was just joking with the "troublemaker" remark.

Not much to interpret on page 25. I guess you could argue that since the specialty restaurants are not listed under casual dining this means the dress code applies. That would be incorrect though.

As for conflicting reports.. not surprising. As I stated at the beginning of this thread..many do not know the new policy. IMO they see people dressed up on formal night in these venues and assume that the dress code still applies.

It's really no big deal, but when someone is trying to get information they should get the facts and not outdated information.

Not to stir the pot... :D:D

but

If you read the Princess Patter that you get every evening when you are on the ship, it says "dress for the evening is .... , not dress for the dining room is ... , dress for the Specialty dining room is... etc...

Not that it matters what the dress code is on the ship on any evening but I've never see any dress code in the specialty reataurants. They're glad to get your business & won't say a thing - possibly even shorts althought I will make it a point to ask this afternoon. (just for laughts) :rolleyes:

Not that it matters what the dress code is on the ship on any evening but I've never see any dress code in the specialty reataurants. They're glad to get your business & won't say a thing - possibly even shorts althought I will make it a point to ask this afternoon. (just for laughts) :rolleyes:

Will you report back on your answer and ask for written confirmation?

Mike:)

Cruise Answer Book,

Etiquette, page. 10

"When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests."

http://www.princess.com/downloads/zip/brochures/additional_brochures/2008_Cruise_Answer_Book.pdf

There you go, it's in black and white from Princess. When formal nights are held, the dress code is in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining Venues.

Since the specialty dining rooms, the buffet, and the pizza/burger places are not the traditional dining or anytime dining venues then the dress code does not need to be followed here according to this.

Wouldn't Princess have stated "When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in table service venues" or something like that if they meant all sit down restaurants???? Or here's another thought, added the term specialty restaurants to the quote?

If one didn't know cruise critic and one simply read the book then one would probably come to the conclusion that formal nights are only held in the main dining rooms since Princess has left it so open to this interpretation.

There you go, it's in black and white from Princess. When formal nights are held, the dress code is in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining Venues.

Since the specialty dining rooms, the buffet, and the pizza/burger places are not the traditional dining or anytime dining venues then the dress code does not need to be followed here according to this.

Wouldn't Princess have stated "When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in table service venues" or something like that if they meant all sit down restaurants???? Or here's another thought, added the term specialty restaurants to the quote?

If one didn't know cruise critic and one simply read the book then one would probably come to the conclusion that formal nights are only held in the main dining rooms since Princess has left it so open to this interpretation.

Then they should chage the wording in the patters which usually just state - dress for tonight is formal/casual which could be interpreted as shipwide!!

Ron

Here we go again. We just got off a 10 day on the Emerald, and I am here to tell you FIRST HAND! At any of the specialty restaurants you may wear smart casual, i.e. khakies and a sport shirt on any night including formal night. Now this thread will probably go on forever with posters debating this, but this is the final answer.
I told you this would happen, these posters are flogging this subject to death.

Then they should chage the wording in the patters which usually just state - dress for tonight is formal/casual which could be interpreted as shipwide!!

Ron

Yes, they should. Princess should start being consistent in their wording everywhere as it would help avoid all the confusion for cruisers. They should simply put in writing exactly what they want so nothing could be left open for interpretation or confusion.

If they would simply spell out exactly what they want in their cruise answer book that each cruiser gets and is available on their website then everyone would be able to read a simple answer and know what the dress code is on their ships.

I know jeans are always up in the discussion and the cruise answer book states that no torn jeans are allowed yet the patter in my hand states "Please be reminded that shorts, tank tops & baseball caps are not permitted in the Dining Rooms, Crown Grill and Sabatini's during dinner hours." That clearly leaves jeans open to go into any of these rooms.

Many of my friends cruise and not one of them are on this site ever. They all seem to go to the dining rooms and enjoy themselves without getting all worked up by any debate of dress codes. They simply follow the cruise answer book that they receive and in me questioning them they all seem to think that formal is formal in the main dining rooms and casual is throughout the rest of the ship.

Me, I just don't bother on formal nights any longer so I don't have to worry about any of this. The UBD works for me one night and the buffett or pizza the other night and I'm happy. It sure makes it easy for me to know what to pack and I'm one happy camper on the cruise so that's all that matters!

By who, maybe ONE person? I can see it now, lots of tuxedo-ed and gowned diners in Cafe Caribe and sitting out at MUTS.

There are those on this board who argued that when Princess stated "No shorts and Ts in the dining room" that meant for breakfast and lunch too. Now Princess clearly adds "at dinner" to that statement. Give it a season or two, and any perceived ambiguousness regarding dress in the specialty restaurants will be removed also, and I'm sure it will be stated to be Smart Casual all the time. Again, it's an opportunity to get more on board revenue from those who truly don't want to dress up on their cruise. Princess isn't going to pass that up.

Ron

Yes, that also would be useful for those who need clarity about whether a tuxedo will be required at the pool or the buffet. The rest of us will just read the Cruise Answer Book, watch for the posted dress guidlines at the entrance to the restaurants and use our noodles.

Here we go again. We just got off a 10 day on the Emerald, and I am here to tell you FIRST HAND! At any of the specialty restaurants you may wear smart casual, i.e. khakies and a sport shirt on any night including formal night. Now this thread will probably go on forever with posters debating this, but this is the final answer.

BINGO!!

DH and I made an in-person reservation at Sabatini's for the second formal night on our recent (1/19-29) cruise on the Emerald. January 27th was also my birthday, and we probably would have dressed formally for the occasion, although we understood emphatically from the restaurant manager that formal attire was not required in this specialty venue.

Long story short: I was sick and spent my birthday and the second formal night of our cruise confined to my stateroom. I "dined" on Jello, crackers, and hot tea while DH had a cooked-to-order burger w/fries and a beer at Trident Grill :D

Bon Appetit!

Chris

Thanks Chris for giving us your recent experience in this area.

Sorry you didn't make it and that you spent your birthday sick in your cabin. Hope it was short lived and didn't ruin your cruise.

Thanks for your kind thoughts.

I'm always able to find the silver lining, and, although my birthday circumstances were unfortunate, I learned something of value for others:

If you become ill on a Princess ship, you will be well cared for by everyone - nurse, cleaning crew, special room service personnel, etc. and treated like royalty during your confinement :)

Chris

Yes, that also would be useful for those who need clarity about whether a tuxedo will be required at the pool or the buffet. The rest of us will just read the Cruise Answer Book, watch for the posted dress guidlines at the entrance to the restaurants and use our noodles.

It's apparent that analytical thinking is lacking in some. :)

As we were standing at the AD room late evening (casual night) waiting to enter one guy just walked by in shorts & went to his assigned table with out question. I just asked the hostess if it were allowed & she just smiled & said it wasen't but still nothing was said. If you want to give it a try do so when it's busy at 5:30 & you'll probably get away with it. I've seen jeans here & there on casul evenings in the DR, but not to many. Loads of them after dinner through the ship as well as many dressed in shorts attening all functions. Dinner on the first formal evening at the Horizon buffet was better than most evenings in the dr. :D

As we were standing at the AD room late evening (casual night) waiting to enter one guy just walked by in shorts & went to his assigned table with out question. I just asked the hostess if it were allowed & she just smiled & said it wasen't but still nothing was said. If you want to give it a try do so when it's busy at 5:30 & you'll probably get away with it. I've seen jeans here & there on casul evenings in the DR, but not to many. Loads of them after dinner through the ship as well as many dressed in shorts attening all functions. Dinner on the first formal evening at the Horizon buffet was better than most evenings in the dr. :D

What's happening on the other 17 ships in the Princess fleet???

Ron

Archived