Quebec hotels

caber

We are flying into Quebec to join Crown Princess in October. The flight Princess have arranged don`t get into Quebec until 11pm. This would mean missing dinner and entertainment on our first night. We are overnight onboard.

We are trying to change the flight to an earlier one which goes a different route.

The other option would be to arrive the night before. Does anyone know of a hotel near the port? Also, how much approx. would it be in a taxi from the airport to the city area, near the port.

When will you be in Quebec City? The reason I ask is that is a serious party town at certain times of the year. Example, from last Thursday to Sunday the town was over run with high school kids from Ontario (my son included) and there were bus loads and bus loads of kids (that I know of anyway) from Ontario, post exams, who were staying in the old town area. This is a particularly big area for high school trips at the end of the school year (from May til June). Drinking age is lower in Canada than the US (Quebec it is 18). Personally I would want to avoid any hotel that is less than 5* those times of year, as otherwise it could be a wild, drunken party time.

I just noticed October in your post. You should be ok - but I would check anyway - ask whatever hotel you are in if there are any group bookings of students, if there is a music festival or something else the student issue still stands.

When will you be in Quebec City? The reason I ask is that is a serious party town at certain times of the year. Example, from last Thursday to Sunday the town was over run with high school kids from Ontario (my son included) and there were bus loads and bus loads of kids (that I know of anyway) from Ontario, post exams, who were staying in the old town area. This is a particularly big area for high school trips at the end of the school year (from May til June). Drinking age is lower in Canada than the US (Quebec it is 18). Personally I would want to avoid any hotel that is less than 5* those times of year, as otherwise it could be a wild, drunken party time.

I just noticed October in your post. You should be ok - but I would check anyway - ask whatever hotel you are in if there are any group bookings of students, if there is a music festival or something else the student issue still stands.

The OP said oct.

Marilyn

If you are concerned about the taxi fare from the airport then I would think the Chateau Fontenac is a luxury you can do without. We stayed at the Marriott Coutyard. Very nice with an ice skating rink in the square in front of the hotel. The rink was in use when were there in October. I seem to recall that taxi fare from the airport was between $20 and $30.

If you are concerned about the taxi fare from the airport then I would think the Chateau Fontenac is a luxury you can do without. We stayed at the Marriott Coutyard. Very nice with an ice skating rink in the square in front of the hotel. The rink was in use when were there in October. I seem to recall that taxi fare from the airport was between $20 and $30.

Out of curiosity, I went to the Fairmont Hotels website and picked a random date in Oct, and received a quote of the equivalent of $140US per night. I thought that that was a pretty good rate, all things considered.

A good site to look at is the official tourist site of the Government of Quebec wich you can found here: http://www.bonjourquebec.com/qc-en/accueil0.html. You will find many answers to your questions.

Since I live in Quebec city (was born here too !), feel free to ask questions. I'll try my best to help !

Alain R.

Out of curiosity, I went to the Fairmont Hotels website and picked a random date in Oct, and received a quote of the equivalent of $140US per night. I thought that that was a pretty good rate, all things considered.

That is at least 50% of what I would have expected. I bet the Princess pre-cruise stay for that hotel is considerably more money.

Any hotels located in old Quebec are close to the port. But if you are confortable with the price, DEFINITELY go with the Chateau Frontenac, whitout any hesitation!! And yes please, stay at least 1 day in Quebec city before your cruise...don't miss a visit in this beautiful city!!

You should take AlainBob offer, I am sure he will have the right suggestions for you.

And by the way, just want to say Hi to AlainBob....I am cheesecake from the 'other' forum :D

We always stay at Hotel du Pierre on rue Genevieve right across the park from the Frontenac.. been staying there since '85 and love it.. family run, close to everything... would never never stay outside the old city in Quebec = it is one of the most charming places you will visit.

For a divine lunch at a fixed price and with menu almost the same as dinner try the Ancient Canadian (aux Aciens Canadien - I think)... we love it as well .. there are way way too many great eaties.. La Lapine in the old lower town is also very good.

Here is the list of hotels within easy walking distance of the cruise terminal, in order of distance:

Hotel Port Royal: http://www.hotelportroyalsuites.com/

Hotel Dominion 1912: http://www.hoteldominion.com/

Hotel 71: http://www.hotel71.ca/

Auberge Saint-Pierre: http://www.auberge.qc.ca/en/

Auberge Saint-Antoine: http://www.saint-antoine.com/

Hotel Le Priori: http://www.hotellepriori.com/

As previously said, anything in Old Quebec is within easy reach by taxi.

Just to clarify Caroline's (excellent:)) recommendations: the hotel is Château de Pierre, on Ste. Geneviève avenue (I know 'cause my aunt used to live on that street); it's different from the Auberge Saint-Pierre listed above. And the restaurant is Aux Anciens Canadiens - definitely second the recommendation, their fixed-price lunch is available until 4pm and includes either a glass of wine or beer - excellent value!

I am from Quebec city also, the above mentionned hotels are what I would pick, they are all very close to the vessel. 5 min walk and in a great location

and all very nice. the 71, auberge antoine, priori, st pierre excellent choices

We are staying at the Auberge St. Pierre pre cruise on the Eurodam Sept. 25th. I did lots of research, but ultimately it was the recommendations of above posters that sealed my choice...thanks!

Holland America wanted hundreds of $$$ to stay at the Fairmont.

We are really looking forward to this cruise (14 day Atlantic Coast to Ft. L)

Karen

We are staying at the Auberge St. Pierre pre cruise on the Eurodam Sept. 25th. I did lots of research, but ultimately it was the recommendations of above posters that sealed my choice...thanks!

Holland America wanted hundreds of $$$ to stay at the Fairmont.

We are really looking forward to this cruise (14 day Atlantic Coast to Ft. L)

Karen

The Fairmount is actually the Château Frontenac. One of the most famous hotels in all of Canada if not the world. Very expensive... but worth a look, try going for high tea.

Among it's awards...

• CAA/AAA Four Diamond Award
  • Five-star rating (Quebec Lodging)
  • 2009 T+L 500 Best hotels in the world, Travel + Leisure magazine
  • 2008 Word's Best Awards, Travel + Leisure magazine
  • 2008 Condé Nast Traveler's Gold List
  • 2008 Condé Nast Traveler's Top Ski Resorts and Hotels List

There are only nineteen hotels in Quebec that have a government issued rating of five stars. That's a standardized rating, not a choose a rating for yourself system like in many places.

Hello,

You will find many hotels closed to Port of Quebec City. Airport is located approx 30 km from downtown. I suggest you visit www.cruisesaintlaurent.com for information about stopovers in Quebec. You will find links to tourism bureau, tourist info, and activities.

The also produce an e-newsletters... quite informative and intesting.

Have a great time in Quebec !

• 3 weeks later...
A good site to look at is the official tourist site of the Government of Quebec wich you can found here: http://www.bonjourquebec.com/qc-en/accueil0.html. You will find many answers to your questions.

Since I live in Quebec city (was born here too !), feel free to ask questions. I'll try my best to help !

Alain R.

Alain, since you offered to answer some questions, I have one. We are staying at Chateau Frontenac and have 2 days in Quebec City. Is it possible to do The Upper Town, The Lower Town, Ile d'Orleans, and Montmorency Falls in only 2 days? What should be a "Must See".

Merci

Leticia

Alain, since you offered to answer some questions, I have one. We are staying at Chateau Frontenac and have 2 days in Quebec City. Is it possible to do The Upper Town, The Lower Town, Ile d'Orleans, and Montmorency Falls in only 2 days? What should be a "Must See".

Merci

Leticia

I would say this is very doable. The Château Frontenac is in Upper Town, just up the hill from Lower Town and the dock area, so can easily be done on foot in a day. Montmorency Falls is opposite the bridge to Ile d'Orleans, so they can both be done the second day.

• 2 months later...

We are looking for a hotel in old town with two beds, elevators (no sections, floors without elevator), breakfast &/or restaurant, and much less expensive than the Frontenac. I also don't like really high floors and won't stay in one in an old hotel. Somehow that seems to rule out almost everything. We've been searching for days. Just as we find something, we'll discover no two bedded rooms available for our dates or find there isn't an elevator or it doesn't go to all sections. (Usually we quickly find pre or post cruise hotels, but not for Quebec City.)

We are looking for a hotel in old town with two beds, elevators (no sections, floors without elevator), breakfast &/or restaurant, and much less expensive than the Frontenac. I also don't like really high floors and won't stay in one in an old hotel. Somehow that seems to rule out almost everything. We've been searching for days. Just as we find something, we'll discover no two bedded rooms available for our dates or find there isn't an elevator or it doesn't go to all sections. (Usually we quickly find pre or post cruise hotels, but not for Quebec City.)

there's not many hotels like you want in the old town. The old town is pretty much like european cities, so little old houses. To find what you want, try looking in the upper city or downtown. You'll find Delta, Hilton and Holiday Inn type of hotels. The city is not too big so even though you're not in the old town, you're less than 15-20-25 minutes of walk from the port.

Merci

Leticia

I live in Québec City too and i can answer that. It is possible but you would have to go too fast to really enjoy it. I'll say take day 1 to see the upper town (Grande Allée street, Parliament, St-Jean Street, Place D'Youville) and the old city (the "Must See"). Then take day 2 to see the Montmorency Falls and the Ile d'Orléans. You can also finish either days with an evening (let's say a 5-8 pm in the summer so you still have sunlight) walk on the Plains of Abraham.

Have fun!

Archived