Is it crazy to do no excursions?

GulfCoastAmy

My parents/brother went on their first cruise last year and had the best time. They didn't do any excursions at ports - just shopped, ate, geocached, wandered, relaxed and enjoyed themselves.

This summer my husband and I are are joining them for another cruise (our first) and so far we aren't planning to do any excursions either. We made the decision mostly to keep the cost of the trip down, and knowing that we would have an awesome time either way.

I was totally fine with that decision UNTIL I started reading these boards, lol! Now I feel like we'll be missing out if we don't do excursions. It seems like everybody does them and some of them sound pretty amazing. Now I'm torn. My practical penny pinching side tells me we'll have a good time without them and my adventurous side tells me to go for it!

Help me decide! :)

BTW, we're cruising on the Carnival Glory 6/20 (7 days - Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Maarten)

We seldom, if ever, do excursions! I enjoy the beaches--that's why we do warm weather cruises--and we'll wander about, and shop a bit...sometimes, we just stay on the ship! (After all, that's what we've PAID to use!!!!)

If you were "missing out" on something, you'd know it!

I think folks (especially 1st timers) go hog-wild with the excursions, because they think they HAVE to---not true!

Do what makes YOU happy!

You absolutely do not need to do excursions. They usually just end up being more crowded and you can't relax since you have to be certain places at certain times. Get off the ship head to a local beach or bar and laugh at everyone riding their glorified school bus(Advertised as a motorcoach) to go snorkling for 30 minutes at the cost of $95. If you want to do excursions you can find many legit tour operators on the ports of call boards and do them on your time with A LOT less people. Either way, do whatever will make YOU happy. If you know you'll have fun relaxing at beach, no need for you to try and squeeze everything in to a short port visit.

Generally, we do some excursions, but not necessarily in each and every port. In fact, we only book the tours that truly pique our interest and excitement.

Suggest you get a travel book at the library and see what points of interest are discussed for the ports you'll be visiting ... if nothing jumps out at you as a must-do, simply make your own fun at those stops.

Very helpful - thanks! I was starting to get the impression that going on a cruise without excursions is like going to Disney and skipping the rides. Now I know better! Who knows - we may end up doing one, but I'm not going to stress if we don't.

On our first cruise we spent hours pouring over excursion info. Before we boarded and after we were on board. We did a jungle excursion in Belize. Must adlmit it was an adventure to remember. On cruise with my mother in the Bahamas we did the glass bottom boat. figured she would like it. Must admit it was an adventure to forget.

Now I don't even look at excursions. However, I do love to tour the places we visit. I always plan a private tour which thus far I have not booked through the ship.

I say skip the exahusting, overpriced and overcrowed excursions but do try and get a tour.

Happy Cruising :)

I think you're missing out on some of the cruise experience if you don't do at least some excursions -- but that being said, you're always gambling a little in picking them. An excursion that a dozen other people gave honest rave reviews might not be fun for you.

That being said, I don't think you need to necessarily buy the cruise line's excursions to have a good time -- you often can have as good or better time by hiring an independent tour operator or figuring out what things you want to do on the island and just taking a cab to get there or whatever. The only thing is, the further you get away from just buying the cruise line's excursions, the more you have to know or research to find the really fun/interesting stuff to do, and the more you're taking responsibility for your own good time. If you don't know much about a port or don't want to put a lot of effort into it, you definitely can do worse than picking one of the cruise line's excursions that sounds fun.

You definitely can just wander around the port just off the ship and have fun, but overall I think you're missing out that way.

It depends on what you have in mind when you think of the ports. My first cruises, a generation ago, I didn't do any excursions...just went to the beach. Years later, the cruise was South America, because I really wanted to be on that ship that tied up at the floating dock in Manaus! Over the years, I found that when I traveled, I wanted to be educated. I want to learn about the country, it's history and geography, etc. so those are the excursions I take. EM

For the ports you are visting no tours are necessary to expeience the islands. Tours would no doubt enhance the experience but certainly not necessary. We did tours at each of those islands the first time there but on subsequent visits we just do our own thing.

Now the Med, Eurpoe, Oz, SA, etc. we turn into port warriors and put in a full day of indpendent or private tours.

If it makes you feel better, we're not planning on any pre-arranged excursions for our first cruise either. Instead, we'll put on our walking shoes and put our map/guidebook in our pocket and do as we please. This our usual non-cruise way of travelling anyway, so it feels much more natural for us.

Interestingly my ILs who are cruising with us feel the opposite and are planning only to do a port or two on foot with DH and I and take the ship excursions the rest of the time. My MIL isn't in the best of health and has trouble walking all day, so they're afraid they would miss too much if they didn't. It also helps that they like the idea of doing everything by bus since when they travel on their own they do lots of touring by car anyway, so that method of moving about feels more normal to them.

So what it really comes down to is what **you** want out of the trip - do you like the idea of being in a bus and hitting all the big highlights without a lot of walking or would you rather be on your own two feet all day?

While I take the ships shore excursions at almost every port, I feel that for the ports you mentioned it would not be absolutely necessary.

St. Maarten and St. Thomas are shopping paradises and in Nassau the beaches should be real close (I stayed in Nassau but I do not know the port). To me it is interesting to see a little more of the USVI and of St. Martin then what you see if you just walk from one shop to another. Alternative means of transport can be taxis, rented cars, boats and so on, as well as independent tours. The differences between the ships excursions and all the other tours are (+: in favor of the ships shore excursions):

+ The responsibility to get back to the ship on time,

+ How I get information about the place I visit,

+ The pleasant company of fellow cruisers

- Cost

- Time to wait for the crowds

- Flexibility

To me getting to see the place the ship stops on a safe and easy tour is generally more important than maybe saving a few dollars or a few minutes. However you have to decide on what is important to you.

All good answers - thanks! I like the different perspectives. I think exploring on our own is ideal. I would like to snorkel, but I've done it before and feel comfortable renting the equipment and doing it without a group. I am also looking at a highly recommended tour on St. Thomas that's only $25 pp.

Ack - the more I read, the more excited I get! June seems awfully far away right now! :D

heck no, I just like to lay on the beach or in a hammok and have a few drinks and do nothing. Who wants to pay out the arse to go snorkeling for an hour? Most beaches have the equipment there for you to use for free or a very nominal charge!

Amy, you said you were looking at a highly recommended tour on St. Thomas that's only $25 pp. Would you please give me the name and telephone number for that tour...

My husband and I are going on our first cruise on the Costa Fortuna leaving Feb 22/09. We are going by ourselves so would like to know of a safe tour to take. Thanks.

Alde

All good answers - thanks! I like the different perspectives. I think exploring on our own is ideal. I would like to snorkel, but I've done it before and feel comfortable renting the equipment and doing it without a group. I am also looking at a highly recommended tour on St. Thomas that's only $25 pp.

Ack - the more I read, the more excited I get! June seems awfully far away right now! :D

I am departing for my first cruise in about 2 weeks... At the advice of a co-worker, I purchased 2 sets of snorkel gear (fins, masks & snorkels) for DH and myself for less than $30 (including shipping, I love ebay). The "snorkeling excursion" through Royal Caribbean would have been $29 EACH. Now I can come and go as I please, and not have to put my mouth or my feet on something that other people have used (eew).

We did book a Segway tour for Nassau. We are in port all day, but our tour is just 2 hours, starting at noon. My mom did a similar tour on another cruise and just loved it. My thought is, where else will I ever get the chance to ride one of these goofy things, so why not? Otherwise, I have no interest in shopping or historical tours, so the other excursions just don't interest me.

I see nothing wrong with either staying on the ship and enjoying the spa (I hear they have good deals on port days), enjoying the pool with less crowds, or heading to shore and exploring on your own. Just do some research and be safe!

Help me decide! :)

BTW, we're cruising on the Carnival Glory 6/20 (7 days - Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Maarten)

I started cruising 1995......

I have never taken any Excursions//tours..

I am happy just being on the ship....

I do get off the ship when it docks.....

I was just on the GLORY......

I did a back to back.........

Nassau,St Thomas & St.Maarten

are three great stops.........

In Nassau I get off the ship and

walk around there in town......

Here on Cruise Critic there are

boards of the different ports/stops

Bahamas,St.Thomas,Key West ECT::::

Go and read very interesting.......

There is a walking tour that you

can do on your own in Nassau..

Go over to the Bahamas'board

do a search for walking tour..........

It's alittle History of Nassau.......

I finally did find the Queen's staircase....

Also you can get a cab and go to the ATLANTS..

And there is the Straw Market..............

St.Thomas there is alot of shopping

where the ships dock or you

can take a taxi into town.........

I am not a beach person...

St. Maarten & Thomas

I think has some nice beaches.....

I am sure someone can answer.....

WHATEVER YOU DECIDE

Have a great CRUISE............

I love this board - so many good responses and opinions! Thank you all!

Amy, you said you were looking at a highly recommended tour on St. Thomas that's only $25 pp. Would you please give me the name and telephone number for that tour...

Alde - it's Sunny Liston tours :

http://www.sunnylistontours.com// I have seen several people mention that his tour was the highlight of their whole trip. And you can't beat the price!

Our first cruise ever is an upcoming NB Alaska cruise. On our previous trips, we've usually found that just exploring a city on our own (after a bit of research) is rewarding.

We're probably not going to do many, if any excursions on this cruise. But, are there any MUST-DO excursions in the Alaska ports?

Thx

If you haven't already, go to the Ports of Call board and read up on the islands that you are visiting. You may have already done that since you have listed the Sunny Liston tour.

Here's the link to the roll call for your specific cruise where you can start chatting with others on the same cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=844613

Enjoy your cruise!:)

Look at all of the excursions available for each port and pick only one or two ports to do excursions. There are lots of fun excursions available for pretty good prices. We do both- book excursions and wander around. On the islands where it's bring-your-own-entertainment, we just pack our backpacks with beach towels, snorkel masks, and refreshments (usually snatched up from the AM buffet or room service) and hit the road with our sneakers on. We did this in Grand Turk.... we walked for a good little while until we reached a beach with nothing on it and no people in sight. We had an absolutely amazing day. In Grand Turk we just picked a beach bar to go to and lounge all day. I don't remember what it was called but as long as you're drinking you can use there chairs, plus we brought our snorkels so we could snorkel wherever. We're more the adventurous type, so hiking to nowhere to find nothing is right up our alley.

GulfCoastAmy -

Youhave gotten a lot of good advise but I will chine in with my two cents as well. I agree that there is no right or wrong answer to your question. I think it depends on what you want to do based on what your itinerary is. When we went to Europe, Alaska, and even Canada - New England I was really excited about the cruise and the destinations. I researched the trip and planned major excursions that I booked on my own (using the boards here). Over New Years we went to the Caribbean. I had never been there before and I did get off the ship to wander around, but I booked no excursions at all. This was just a relaxing vacation and I did not care if I did anything or not. I did not feel like I missed anything. In April we are going to the Mexican Riviera on NCL. I have 1 tour scheduled in Mazatlan, massages for DD and myself in Puerto Vallarta and nothing else. It will be a relaxing trip with few plans. On the other hand when we do the Panama Canal we will once again do major excursions because when will I be back there again?

Whatever you decide to do, just enjoy yourself - you are on vacation and have fun.

[ quote=Glenn n Steven in SC;18067680]Our first cruise ever is an upcoming NB Alaska cruise. On our previous trips, we've usually found that just exploring a city on our own (after a bit of research) is rewarding.

We're probably not going to do many, if any excursions on this cruise. But, are there any MUST-DO excursions in the Alaska ports?

Thx

Alaska is amazing and there is so much to do there.

We went all out on our excursions in Alaska knowing it would be a long time before we would go back. We went ziplining in Juneau (many people go whale watching). In Ketchikan we took a flightseeing tour to Misty Fjords on a plane that landed on the water. In Skagway we took a tour to the Yukons. In Seward we did a boat ride through Kenai National Park (which was amazing). Check out the Alaska POrts of Call board. All our excursions were ones I booked myself based on research I did on the board.

Archived