Concierge Class Canapes

spav01

Hello Everyone,

I'm on Celebrity for the first time this April, on the Summit Transatlantic. We're in Concierge Class. I keep reading the, well, not quite positive reviews regarding the CC class canapes. And I am just wonde4ing if anyone who has been in CC class could tell me exactly what they are. Some sort of meat and cheese? Something warm and baked? I mean, saying canape is like saying dessert.

Thanks for any help!

;) I was on the Mercury last summer in CC. We got savory appetizers -- meat and cheese, a vegetable here and there, on little rounds of stale bread. Served on a paper plate with Saran wrap over them. Frankly, I didn't think they were anything to write home about.

We sailed last month in Concierge class. The canapes then were usually a plate of six pieces of toasted white bread ( tasted stale actually because of the toasting) with assorted spread toppings - cheese, ham type spread, etc. - I was told that you could ask for cheese and crackers instead but we never bothered so I can't confirm that. Just don't get your mouth watering for anything special.

This is the definition of canape:

canapé or canape (Spanish/French for couch[1] and known in Italy as tartina) is a small, prepared and usually decorative food, held in the fingers and often eaten in one bite. Because they are often served during cocktail hours, it is often desired that a canapé be either salty or spicy, in order to encourage guests to drink more. A canapé may also be referred to as finger food, although not all finger foods are canapés. Crackers or small slices of bread or toast or puff pastry, cut into various shapes, serve as the base for savory butters or pastes, often topped with a "canopy" of such savory foods as meat, cheese, fish, caviar, foie gras, purees or relish.

Traditionally, canapés are built on stalewhite bread (though other foods may be used as a base), cut in thin slices and then shaped with a cutter or knife. Shapes might include circles, rings, squares, strips or triangles. These pieces of bread are then prepared by deep frying, sautéeing, or toasting. The foods are sometimes highly processed and decoratively applied (i.e. piped) to the base with a pastry bag. Decorative garnishes are then applied. The canapés are usually served on a canapé tray and eaten from small canapé plates. The technical composition of a canapé consists of a base (i.e. the bread or pancake), a spread, a main item, and a garnish. The spread traditionally is either a compound butter or a flavored cream cheese. Common garnishes can range from finely chopped vegetables, scallions, and herbs to caviar or truffle oil.

So as you can see they are suppose to be on stale bread.

CruisingChick: I like your responses. Karen and I were on the Mille to Alaska and were in CC. Each afternoon we had 12 canape's in our room, shrimp, pate, cheese etc. We had no problems as realized they were canapes' as stated by your excellent definition. We are booked on Oct 16 Canada/NE

As others have said not great as they are often stale (I mean stale not canape version stale) or soggy (suspect that was due to the moisture that accumulated under the plastic wrap) to protect them.

After about the 3rd day we asked our cabin steward to switch the canapes to cheese, crackers and grapes which were a lot better.

While they do come at around 5pm, if you feel like a snack at that time there are other options on the ship to bring back to the cabin (we liked the sushi) as well.

Hello Everyone,

I'm on Celebrity for the first time this April, on the Summit Transatlantic. We're in Concierge Class. I keep reading the, well, not quite positive reviews regarding the CC class canapes. And I am just wonde4ing if anyone who has been in CC class could tell me exactly what they are. Some sort of meat and cheese? Something warm and baked? I mean, saying canape is like saying dessert.

Thanks for any help!

Yes, these are sick! I see them all being carted away in the evening. We DID ask for cheese and crackers each night, and received that... with the same canapes also:rolleyes: We called them "goo on toast." Most of them you really couldn't tell what was on the little bread rounds... just whipped up goo and the squeezed on. NOTHING to write home about for sure.

CruisingChick: I like your responses. Karen and I were on the Mille to Alaska and were in CC. Each afternoon we had 12 canape's in our room, shrimp, pate, cheese etc. We had no problems as realized they were canapes' as stated by your excellent definition. We are booked on Oct 16 Canada/NE

Hi lkbert - thanks. I was hoping to be on that October 16th Canada/NE cruisse, but my husband just lost his second (part-time) job. That's the money we basically used for cruises and entertainment spending. So I'm not sure if we will be taking a cruise this year.

We had no problems with the canapes on last Constellation cruise.

Anne Maria

After about the 3rd day we asked our cabin steward to switch the canapes to cheese, crackers and grapes which were a lot better.
You can also ask for shrimp cocktails instead. Although, most of the time we just tell him to not bring anything at all if we're not going to be in our cabin at that time.

Oooh, really?:D That sound GOOD!

I agree that the canapes are horrendous. We asked for cheese and crackers instead and received them nightly.

The interesting thing though, is that before our cruise, I read where people asked for shrimp cocktail instead and received them as Denb stated....however, we tried asking for shrimp cocktail and our attendant said we couldn't have them. I thought that was rather odd that some people could get them but we couldn't. I didn't argue with him and asked for any other alternatives. He said the only other thing we could get was the cheese and crackers, so we took that.

So.....whats the secret to actually getting the shrimp cocktail?

I agree that the canapes are horrendous. We asked for cheese and crackers instead and received them nightly.

The interesting thing though, is that before our cruise, I read where people asked for shrimp cocktail instead and received them as Denb stated....however, we tried asking for shrimp cocktail and our attendant said we couldn't have them. I thought that was rather odd that some people could get them but we couldn't. I didn't argue with him and asked for any other alternatives. He said the only other thing we could get was the cheese and crackers, so we took that.

So.....whats the secret to actually getting the shrimp cocktail?

Don't know the secret, but when I am on the Equniox, I will ask to speak to the supervisor, if I get a negative response. Always helps to speak to the next level up.

Don't know the secret, but when I am on the Equniox, I will ask to speak to the supervisor, if I get a negative response. Always helps to speak to the next level up.

How long ago did they get shrimp cocktail? There was never shrimp cocktail offered on a recent Constellation cruise.

Archived