San Juan Disembarkation - Galaxy

carnivalman

Having read several horror stories about Princess' recent disembarkation at the Pan Am Pier in San Juan and others who posted against taking an early flight back home, I called Celebrity Captain's Club and was told the following:

"While the ship is scheduled to dock at 5am, we do not recommend booking a flight that departs San Juan before 10am since you have to allow yourself 2 hours at the airport." Was also told that Customs is 24/7 and they coordinate the arrival times with Customs.

Fair enough explanation. Since my flight is at 9:35am , and unless the ship arrives late, as far as I'm concerned, I should be OK.

To catch a 10am flight and allow for 2 hours beforehand at the airport means getting off the boat around 7:30am and allowing for up to 30 minutes by cab to the airport which should be OK on a Friday since I'm going away from town. That means I should hit the airport around 8am and keeping my cruise luggage disembarkation tags on the baggage, I can bypass US Agriculture screening and go straight to the airline counter. What also helps is that I can check in at the first class/preferred line with my US Air Frequent Flyer Elite status which will also save a lot of time.

Wanted to post this in case anyone else was wondering about the time situation.

I've gone into San Juan before, but had always stayed an extra few days, thus was in no hurry to get off the ship.

I don't recommend this....We arrived at SJ on time at the pier, but it took forever for customs to clear the ship. I don't think we were cleared until 8:15-8:30. Hopefully you will have a different experience.

Because you'll need it. When I recently disembarked from the Galaxy, although we were early in port, the ship wasn't cleared until about 8am and then Immigration was extremely slow with very long lines. And the cruise tags will not necessarily save you the agricultural inspection at the airport - we were forced to do it. Also we had priority check in but there was a family travelling with dogs in front of us and their paperwork took forever and they wouldn't open another line so we had to queue for 20+ minutes just to check in. At least the security line wasn't too bad.

I hope you have a back up plan for later in the day.

Having read several horror stories about Princess' recent disembarkation at the Pan Am Pier in San Juan and others who posted against taking an early flight back home, I called Celebrity Captain's Club and was told the following:

"While the ship is scheduled to dock at 5am, we do not recommend booking a flight that departs San Juan before 10am since you have to allow yourself 2 hours at the airport." Was also told that Customs is 24/7 and they coordinate the arrival times with Customs.

Fair enough explanation. Since my flight is at 9:35am , and unless the ship arrives late, as far as I'm concerned, I should be OK.

To catch a 10am flight and allow for 2 hours beforehand at the airport means getting off the boat around 7:30am and allowing for up to 30 minutes by cab to the airport which should be OK on a Friday since I'm going away from town. That means I should hit the airport around 8am and keeping my cruise luggage disembarkation tags on the baggage, I can bypass US Agriculture screening and go straight to the airline counter. What also helps is that I can check in at the first class/preferred line with my US Air Frequent Flyer Elite status which will also save a lot of time.

I've gone into San Juan before, but had always stayed an extra few days, thus was in no hurry to get off the ship.

I guess this all boils down to.... Are you a gambling person? I am surprised that the Captain's club said 10 am. I would say more like "after noon"

IF you do this please come back and let us know how it worked.

Thanks

Helen

Off Galaxy on 1/19 and the USDA inspection was mandatory. You do this outside the airport at the curb. Everyone that got in line without doing it was sent back outside to get the inspection done.

We were docked very early and had an afternoon flight so we were in no hurry. Hopefully you have checked the time on the next flight going out just in case you need to take it. Good luck.

Ellen

I am another one that will say good luck. When we were on Galaxy they didn't even start the disembarkation till after 8am. And when we were on Summit in December they started at about 8:15am. I guess I just don't like to take chances, I look at it if I can get their earlier than my afternoon flight I will take it but I always have my other flight just in case. Good Luck!

Laura

I am another one that will say good luck. When we were on Galaxy they didn't even start the disembarkation till after 8am. And when we were on Summit in December they started at about 8:15am. I guess I just don't like to take chances, I look at it if I can get their earlier than my afternoon flight I will take it but I always have my other flight just in case. Good Luck!

Laura

We are going to chance it.. our first standby flight is at 10:15am ... ship arrives at 7am.. we have priority deembarkation. but that may not help.. if we miss the 10:15am..we will do a standby on the 12:40pm flight to Dallas and just have to overnight in Dallas before getting back home to Memphis.

Does priority embarkation and dembarkation help this situation as well as my mother will need wheelchair assistance ... will that help?

We are going to chance it.. our first standby flight is at 10:15am ... ship arrives at 7am.. we have priority deembarkation. but that may not help.. if we miss the 10:15am..we will do a standby on the 12:40pm flight to Dallas and just have to overnight in Dallas before getting back home to Memphis.

Does priority embarkation and dembarkation help this situation as well as my mother will need wheelchair assistance ... will that help?

I really don't see how you can make the 10:15 but maybe if the sun and the moon are all alined than you will. What flight time are you booked on?? You have an excellent chance for the 12:40pm as long as its not totally booked.

Laura

I appreciate everyone's input including the agriculture inspection no longer waived. Years ago leaving San Juan on business, I stood line for a while and then was told to get the bag inspected.

Those who said their cruise got in ontime or early but did not start disembarking until 8am or so, it would be interesting to know what time the ships were scheduled to arrive and when they actually did. Having been a road warrior (Platinum level with 2 different hotels in the same year) when I worked, I am more than aware of the pitfalls of schedules along with how things have changed since 9/11.

While "..it" does happen, I originally booked the cruise and flight many months ago. For me, once I arrive in Philly after a 4 hour flight plus an hour to get the bags to the parking lot, it's a 3 hour drive home. When I see a 5am arrival & Celebrity says "don't book a flight before 10am since you have to be at the airport 2 hours before departure", I have a very strong comfort level that I will not have a problem making my flight. The flight after my 9:35am is 4 hours later. And yes, if I miss this one, it will be many more hours later than that.

This is my 7th cruise and 4th with Celebrity. As for allowing some slack time, Celebrity is not going to risk their passengers who booked airfare thru them to make a 10-11 am flight if they know it usually doesn't happen & then have to pay in the event of snafu to get them on another flight. Celebrity has a quality reputation & they wouldn't risk it by telling people they can get a flight by a certain time & over and over again it doesn't happen. As I said earlier "..it" does sometimes happen. So far in my 6 cruises, I'm batting 1.000 in making connections.

My wife and I will carry our bags off the ship, 1 large and 2 carry-on bags. We'll be up and out to breakfast around 6am or so whether it be in the dining room or buffet area & off we go and wait to get off the ship. The last time I disembarked at Pan Am Pier, we went right thru Customs and there was no problem getting a cab.

BTW, I'm arriving a day early like I always do since one never wants to miss the boat. If one misses the plane, there's always another one to get home.

Let's hope lightening strikes twice!!!!!

Oh well, here's the deal. I make it I make. I don't, I'll just deal with it then.

Thanx again for everyone's input and more is welcomed.

I was on Galaxy last month and one of our tablemates

had booked an early flight home. We were discussing

it at dinner and tried to explain that might not have been

the best timing for a departure.

I received an email from a friend who sailed with me and he

saw the person running through the airport so

she would make that flight. I think she did but those

early flights are just not a good way to end a leisurely

cruise.

I believe it was a before 10am departure.....not something

I would do or recommend.

Hope it works out for you:)

I was on the same sailing as Laura (aka Snausman) last April 2008 and I can advise that I was still sitting onboard the Galaxy in one of the lounges at 9:15 a.m awaiting debarkation. Once I got to the airport, I was in the United Airlines check-in line for a good 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour. The whole process was painfully long and slow. If I recall correctly, my flight left about 12:30 pm and there wasn't that much time to just laze around the airport before it was time to board.

Tink

Last year we sailed with NPS001 on the Galaxy. We did the luggage valet program where you check in your luggage for your flight at the port terminal and get your boarding passes the night before on the ship. People in this program are one of the first groups off as they need them to check their luggage fast, after clearing customs in the port terminal, so it can all be transported to the airport and processed.

Our letter indicated that disembarkation for the group wouldn't even start until 8AM, and I don't think it was early, nor much later either. But then you have to clear customs which might take 5 or 10 minutes. Not too much of a wait ....unless you're on a critical schedule where every nerve racking second counts. Then a cab to the airport, line for USDA, line for luggage check in, and security lines - which tend to be long and slow in San Juan.

I just can't see booking a flight before 11, and after noon makes a lot more sense. Before 10AM seems highly unlikely and would probably make the last night and disembarkation day very nerve racking. Not the way I'd choose to end my cruise. Frankly I'm shocked that the cruise line was saying 10AM is OK.

Archived