Need Help Picking Shoes for this Dress

BSQ

Perhaps you’ve been there. Your best friend honors you with the request to be her Bride’s Maid. She tells you that you can pick any style dress you like as long as it’s <insert color> in this case, deep purple. She doesn’t want to stick you with a “bride’s maid dress” and doesn’t want you to have to spend a fortune. (bless her heart!)

And then we go looking for dresses… Trying on 20 or so, she goes about roaming the store and comes back with a baby blue number in sort of my size. I try it on. Her face lights up. Oh goodness, I can tell that this is the dress she wants to see me in. I retry on one that was in the running, she thinks it’s nice. I put the baby blue number back on and she beams again. I can’t disappoint my friend on her wedding day I know this is the dress I will be wearing (sigh). Although they tell us it can’t be shortened, I tell my friend that is nonsense, it is a simple a-line dress. We hunt down the seamstress and she tells us she will do it for us, even though they do not normally shorten this dress. It cost me more to alter it than the original price tag. LOL . I will cave and say that the color is gorgeous and very complementary to my coloring. The cut, fit and style are also a good choice for me. The shoes to go with it however are stumping me. I am hoping everyone on this forum can give me some ideas of what shoes to wear with this dress. You will have to use your imagination a little bit in that we shortened the dress from floor length to tea length. The Bride has requested I wear SILVER shoes. I can walk miles in a well crafted heel, so heel height is not important, though I had on 3” heels when I had the dress altered so should stick close to that height.

So all that rambling to say … Summer Wedding. Silver Shoes. HELP!!!

(for fun, if you want to suggest a shoe in a complimentary color, show me what ya got!)

wow. that helps me narrow it down. thanks so much for your input, but I was looking for a little assistance in which of those many styles available might look best with this dress.

suggestions for anything other than silver were "just for fun" perhaps you missed that part. Not wearing silver is not an option in my mind, just as not getting this dress was not an option because the bride liked it so much.

All ideas are welcome, thanks in advance!

Well first, let's start with something that is visually closer to the color and cut...

2cba1f7d482f5fd12d2d0107a69eb66e.jpg

Makes it easier for everyone to visualize what will go well with it.

Then big question (for other ideas for shoes)...

Do you know what other colors the flowers and accents are going to be?

Or is every color in the wedding going to be baby blue and silver?

It would look awesome, and really cool, and not take away from the bride if your shoes were in an accent color from the bouquets.

It would add in your role (as the bride is all in white/light/silver/etc.) so you being in all baby blue/silver is so close to her in coloring.

A darker color pop in your shoes, that matches the flowers/accents, will make you look more like bridesmaid color/theme accent/support and less mini-bride.

BSQ, your response to cb at sea seems a little snippy.

I don't think there's a particular style of dressy silver shoe that will look bad with that dress. When/where is the wedding? I'd probably wear strappy sandals in warm weather, a closed toe shoe in cold weather.

Well first, let's start with something that is visually closer to the color and cut...

2cba1f7d482f5fd12d2d0107a69eb66e.jpg

Makes it easier for everyone to visualize what will go well with it.

Then big question (for other ideas for shoes)...

Do you know what other colors the flowers and accents are going to be?

Or is every color in the wedding going to be baby blue and silver?

It would look awesome, and really cool, and not take away from the bride if your shoes were in an accent color from the bouquets.

It would add in your role (as the bride is all in white/light/silver/etc.) so you being in all baby blue/silver is so close to her in coloring.

A darker color pop in your shoes, that matches the flowers/accents, will make you look more like bridesmaid color/theme accent/support and less mini-bride.

CJW to the rescue! What would us girls do without you?

I love your idea for a darker color. Silver works but it's almost the safe color. So wear it if you must for the wedding but keep this in mind for the next time you wear the dress.

CJW, thank you so much. The dress I put in the picture is the actual dress and color. It is dark purple, the sample I tried on was baby blue ... sorry for the confusion. The one you posted however, does give the right feel of the dress now shortened, so thank you!

I was thinking with a closed toe pump the shoe might look too heavy or clunky with the dress (not sure of the right word for description). With the beading on the dress and the inset, I was thinking the shoe needed to be somewhat plain. I do know I don't want anything with rhinestones or sparkle as I would never wear that again.

The bride has not made up her mind completely on accent colors. This is what I know. The bride is wearing ivory with gold beading she has mentioned gold as the only other accent color, and I suspect she may add a shade of blue or green. Her daughters will walk her down the aisle wearing dresses that are a slightly lighter shade than mine.

I think I've been having trouble in the shoe department because it is such a dark color of purple.

When/where is the wedding? I'd probably wear strappy sandals in warm weather, a closed toe shoe in cold weather.

June Wedding ... last mentioned location is Las Vegas, early evening, possibly outdoors.

CJW, thank you so much. The dress I put in the picture is the actual dress and color. It is dark purple, the sample I tried on was baby blue ... sorry for the confusion. The one you posted however, does give the right feel of the dress now shortened, so thank you!

Got it! What is the dress brand or dress designer?

I was thinking with a closed toe pump the shoe might look too heavy or clunky with the dress (not sure of the right word for description). With the beading on the dress and the inset, I was thinking the shoe needed to be somewhat plain. I do know I don't want anything with rhinestones or sparkle as I would never wear that again.

I don't think the shoe needs to be that plain, but definitely if you don't like rhinestones or sparkles, that's important to consider.

The bride has not made up her mind completely on accent colors. This is what I know. The bride is wearing ivory with gold beading she has mentioned gold as the only other accent color, and I suspect she may add a shade of blue or green. Her daughters will walk her down the aisle wearing dresses that are a slightly lighter shade than mine.

I think I've been having trouble in the shoe department because it is such a dark color of purple.

First of all, I'm just throwing a bunch of various thoughts and ideas out there, as you never know what will inspire the right idea for you.

Secondly, it's the bride's day, and I get that (trust me;)), but just as professional fashionisto...

If her dress is ivory, and the beading is gold - then silver shoes make no sense.

Those are warm accent tones, so it would make much more sense for you to blend with that.

I still would almost wait and figure out what the other flower colors are going to be...

That being said...

I'm just going to put out a bunch of ideas here.

Something may strike your fancy, or the other posters here might have votes on them - or it might inspire them to more ideas!

Here we go...

10757-843655-d.jpg

6219-723003-d.jpg

6219-687206-d.jpg

Something like these could be great as a subtle tie in to you and the lighter dresses...

Nieman Marcus has some killer styles (sorry I can't do a link correctly):

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/templates/P9.jhtml?itemId=cat13410734&parentId=cat13030734&masterId=cat000141&cmCat=

I picked these vs. a closed toe shoe because the dress is strapless. (Just my opinion of course).

Let us know what you pick.

Deb

Got it! What is the dress brand or dress designer?

it is a classic bridesmaids dress in every sense of the word. off the rack from David's Bridal nice n shiney. :D

First of all, I'm just throwing a bunch of various thoughts and ideas out there, as you never know what will inspire the right idea for you.

Secondly, it's the bride's day, and I get that (trust me;)), but just as professional fashionisto...

If her dress is ivory, and the beading is gold - then silver shoes make no sense.

Those are warm accent tones, so it would make much more sense for you to blend with that.

I still would almost wait and figure out what the other flower colors are going to be...

My sentiments as well. I do like the suggestion of waiting till the flowers and accent colors are finalized.

10757-843655-d.jpg

I had to smile at this shoe. I own something similar without the strap, and the ruffle is at the throat of the shoe instead of the heel.

6219-687206-d.jpg

This shoe is so "me" I think I might have to get it just for the heck of it. (score! they have my size!!)

Thanks so much for taking the time to post some visual ideas. It is helping me greatly. I've been in the fashion industry my entire career, I never thought I'd have so much trouble picking a shoe. I think it's because I just want it to be THE perfect one for my best friend's wedding. :)

Nieman Marcus has some killer styles (sorry I can't do a link correctly):

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/templates/P9.jhtml?itemId=cat13410734&parentId=cat13030734&masterId=cat000141&cmCat=

I picked these vs. a closed toe shoe because the dress is strapless. (Just my opinion of course).

Let us know what you pick.

Deb

Thanks! I was looking at the NM website yesterday and thought I needed to hit a store this weekend to browse and try on. In hindsight I should have asked for a swatch of the material so I could take it with me shoe shopping.

I like your logic behind the open vs closed toe shoe. I too think because it's strapless and it's a summer occasion, that I wanted something that is more open feeling. I think that's why I initially ruled out pumps, even closed toe, but am ok with sling backs.

Here's a bunch of random different ideas, in varying styles...

6627-757131-d.jpg

OK Curt, Where did you find this shoe??!!!! I love shoes with bows on them!!!! Just bought royal blue slingbacks yesterday!:rolleyes: So give, where are these shoes at?? You can't just tease us by posting a picture and then no purchasing information!!:eek:

6627-757131-d.jpg

OK Curt, Where did you find this shoe??!!!! I love shoes with bows on them!!!! Just bought royal blue slingbacks yesterday!:rolleyes: So give, where are these shoes at?? You can't just tease us by posting a picture and then no purchasing information!!:eek:

LOL! Sorry, I haven't done my "virtual shopping" thing on here, since the last time I "made" Kathy (KLlund) buy a few vintage dresses!

These are the "Rhea" shoe, by RSVP designs.

They're available at Zappos dot com right now, but also in red and black.

Let us know if you get them...

Enjoy!

:D

6219-687206-d.jpg

Man o man, I lurv these shoes!!!!! Makes me wish the dress I wore to someone's wedding (:cool::cool::cool:) was purple instead of blue!

But I love these too, but the heel height would be out for me:

6627-757131-d.jpg

It's a darned good thing I don't live near LA or you'd have me in bug trouble CJW!!!!

wow. that helps me narrow it down. thanks so much for your input, but I was looking for a little assistance in which of those many styles available might look best with this dress.

suggestions for anything other than silver were "just for fun" perhaps you missed that part. Not wearing silver is not an option in my mind, just as not getting this dress was not an option because the bride liked it so much.

All ideas are welcome, thanks in advance!

depends on size you wear, ebay has new pair of silver strappy sandals, Item Number

390028775963rtCurve.gif

Archived