What's the "ideal" length of cruise for you?

CowPrincess

I think it all depends on the itinerary and ports. I was on a 31-day cruise last April/May and loved it; a 10-day family cruise in July; a 28-day cruise last October with a 3-day pre-cruise in Athens and was ready to go home after the first two weeks; and was just on a 20-day cruise with a 3-day pre-cruise and while I was having a terrific time and hated to leave my new-found friends, I was ready to go home. Hate to say it but it was too much cruising in one year.

IMHO, the best cruise is the one where you regret leaving the ship and wish it were longer as it leaves a better impression. I've got a variety of cruises/trips planned over the next year which will mix it up a bit better.

FYI, I always lose weight on a cruise, including 5 lb on my recent Amsterdam cruise, so from that standpoint, I wish I were cruising 365 days a year. :)

10-12 days will get you a good 'feel' for the ship! 7-days are too short and 2-3 days frequently turn into the infamous 'booze cruise'. Longest we've been on has been a fourteen-day Panama Canal (Ft. Lauderdale to L.A.) cruise on a very traditional ship called the Sagafjord. DW was ready to go home on that one. I wouldn't mind trying longer itineraries but not while still working full-time.

Over time, with work and kid responsibilities, I started out with a one night cruise to nowhere in the 60's. Then, as kids grew and we were able to take more time off, the 3&4 day cruises became 10&14 day cruises. Nowadays, retired, we have taken 21, 23, 26 day voyages and are booked on a 33 day sailing on the Rotterdam in March 2010. Never found a cruise to be too long. Always something to do, somebody to chat with and another port to visit.

----Penny

Like many folks, we started with 7 days, tried 10 days, 15 days, 17 days... I think the 15 days was just right for us although schedules and budget will probably dictate 10 days as our norm... :(

Being working folks, it is hard to get away any longer than 2 weeks. If we were retired, we would probably say 30 days is just right!

We would NOT be bored but would always find something interesting to do that "beats a day at the office" anytime!

I find the longer I cruise, the longer I want to cruise at a stretch. Right now I prefer cruises in the 25-35 day range, but can easily see myself doing the 60+ day circle Pacific or circumnavigation of South America cruises (just not in quick succession ;)).

The longest cruise I've been on was 12 days (part of a month-long vacation when I was in college and could do that sort of thing!)

For us, right now, the practical length is about 7-10 days, with 14 being the absolute max. We can't get more than two weeks off in a row at our jobs and I would prefer to have at least one day upon arrival at home to unpack, get "re-settled" et cetera before heading back to work. I think at some point in the far away future I would like to do a very long cruise (which to me is anything greater than 30 days) but I do eventually miss the comforts of home and my cats quite a bit. After a week and a half of vacation or so I miss the furry critters and making my own breakfast (I am a picky breakfast eater and often don't like many of the ship's choices.)

I wish that more 7 and 10 day cruises were offered on upscale lines like Azamara, Seabourn, et cetera. We want the luxury but we just can't stay gone too long. Surely there are others in our shoes?

Archived