Morning vs Afternoon

Beechnut99

I have cancelled the Natural history tour on our cruise and going to book the tundra Wilderness Tour, as suggested :)

Is there any difference going morning or afternoon? We will be there Aug 16th. Just wondering if maybe there is a preference to maybe the animals are more out and about one time or the other.

Also same question with an option for flighseeing/dog tour. morning or afternoon?

thanks for you help

I've done the TWT twice, both times in the morning (6AM and 7:30AM). I have heard that the morning may be better as many of the animals "nap" in the afternoon! I know I have a great photo of 2 bears totally stretched out, taking a siesta at 2:45 PM - taken on the way out of the park.

I greatly prefer the first bus out, with Denali "waking" up. :) There is no way to predict what you are going to see. :) However, for more bear opportunity, getting farther into the park is preferable. I have always seen most of my bears around Eielson/Fish Creek. But have also seen them on the wash at Savage River. Necessary is a good pair of binoculars, at least 10 power.

As for glacier dog sledding, doesn't matter what time you book, but always have back up plans and know what else is available in the area. It is the most canceled Alaska tour.

Archived