A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

Hey DBA, considering all the ongoing complaints, (since at least 2008),:mad: related to the a/c (non functioning wall thermostats) (as well as ongoing plumbing) issues on the Veendam, when (and by whom) do you suggest that a permanent solution will be discovered, (so that some staterooms no longer will be cold while others are hot)?:mad:

P.S. Have you been reading the threads related to these concerns?

DBA...Need some info please..

We have quite a large group (40 +)on our Roll Call on the Veendam to Bermuda...It was suggested that we meet informally at the Retreat Bar in the early afternoon of the first sea day..We have several large families with several young adults in their twenties & about a dozen teens & Children..Most will be in Bathing Suits & at the pool..

We're also planning a formal & much smaller CC Meet & Greet in the Morning for those who are early risers & will contact the events coordinator for the Veendam about that..When we make arrangements for the Formal Meet & Greet will mention to the on-board coordinator that there will be a large group at the bar in the Afternoon..They may want to put on extra bartenders..

Our question is this..Is the Retreat area for Adults only or will the children & teens be welcome there?...Also will the retreat bar be overcrowded with 40 plus people?...

Thanks for your help...

Cheers....:) Betty

Hi betty,

This would be something to probably discuss with Onboard Event Services.

Not self-service laundries. You can send it out and pay by the piece, by the bag, or unlimited for the duration of the cruise.

Yes, you can bring aboard as much wine as you care to, both at embarkation and various ports. There's no charge if you drink it in your cabin. There's a $18 per bottle corkage charge if you bring it to the dining room or a lounge.

Ditto

Sorry, can't help much. The per bag price is $20 for all you can stuff in it; the unlimited varies by length of cruise. The per piece price is usury, but I don't know the figures.

If you send things to be laundered, they come back nicely pressed as part of the laundry charge.

There's also a pressing-only package, and per piece charge---your choice.

Ditto again :D

We have three cabins booked for a family cruise on NA in March 2011. I would like anyone who has sailed on her to please tell me--do the pools have only straight up ladders to get out of the pool? Or do either of the two pools have a "staircase" to enter and exit the pool? We have family members who have an inability to pull themselves up a vertical ladder to get out of the pool.

Someone on another thread suggested I post my question here since DBA and others here are so helpful! If there are no staircases in the pools, do they have a "lift" for the mobility challenged to use the pool?

I truly loved reading several reviews and reports of the inaugural sailing and can't wait to get onboard! Thanks to whomever can answer my question!

Cheers,

Barbara

I believe the ladders are vertical only, but access and compliance can give you information on the accessible equipment for the pools/hot tubs

I cruised to bermuda on the MS Veendam on July 11th - 18th and I would like to know if there anyway to find out the names of the musiciens in the band on the HALCats. I really enjoyed my cruise and I need this information to complete my photo album. I forgot to ask when I was on the ship. Thank you.

Contact the Guest Relations department and one of the staff can contact the ship and get that information for you.

Dutch: On several boards I read about problems that the Veendam seems to be having with air conditioning. Is HAL, the company, doing anything to correct or control it?

Thanks for your input.

And for geriatric nurse as well:

These concerns are best directed to the Guest Relations department if you have come back from a cruise. Otherwise the reviews here are a glimpse into a few peoples' experiences. Keep in mind the Veendam holds 1350 people at double occupancy and you've only seen a couple of reviews per cruise.

And for geriatric nurse as well:

These concerns are best directed to the Guest Relations department if you have come back from a cruise. Otherwise the reviews here are a glimpse into a few peoples' experiences. Keep in mind the Veendam holds 1350 people at double occupancy and you've only seen a couple of reviews per cruise.

Thanks for your response.

It is indeed perhaps a glimpse, nevertheless a genuine concern of people who travel and enjoy HAL.

You did not, or perhaps can not address my concern.

I will write HAL as per your suggestion.

Best regards.

Hi betty,

This would be something to probably discuss with Onboard Event Services.

OK DBA Thanks I'll do that..Just received confirmation today for our small group, but I'll e-mail her tomorrow ...

Welcome Back & hope you had a wonderful cruise....

C:)heers....:)Betty

• 4 weeks later...
OK DBA Thanks I'll do that..Just received confirmation today for our small group, but I'll e-mail her tomorrow ...

Welcome Back & hope you had a wonderful cruise....

C:)heers....:)Betty

No cruise. Still over a month out from my next...

From the blog:

So, I'm back, but I was never entirely all the way gone.

Contrary to what you've read (or possibly speculated on yourself), I have not:

• Died
  • Been black-listed on Cruise Critic
  • Told not to continue the blog or involvement in any aspect of social media by any management at HAL

Honestly... I've just had a lot of life happening this month.

I've been working on my home and managed to get A LOT of renovations done. Completely transformed the bedroom, changed up about 70% of my living room and finished the look I started long ago in my kitchen and dining room.

I've also been catching up on a lot of sleep and relaxation and enjoying the bi-polar pockets of sun we've got this summer while trying to not melt during the freakish heatwaves.

I also had a chance to meet up with my brother and his family when they did their annual trip up to Washington to come and visit A LOT of family. It was incredible seeing them all again and I also managed to find a restaurant/bar in Seattle that allows dogs. So Dozer has a new hangout I'll be frequenting from time to time...

There is now also a second person (also a HAL employee) that will be putting up posts from time to time. See how all posts to date have said "Posted by DBA" at the bottom? You'll occasionally see "Traveler" appear as well. When you have a chance, be sure to say hi!

So yeah, I've been good. And well. And healthy. And happy. What about you? How you been?

Take a look around. Two new posts below of Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam and more to come just like there always has been!

DBA

No cruise. Still over a month out from my next...

From the blog:

So, I'm back, but I was never entirely all the way gone.

Contrary to what you've read (or possibly speculated on yourself), I have not:

• Died
  • Been black-listed on Cruise Critic
  • Told not to continue the blog or involvement in any aspect of social media by any management at HAL

Honestly... I've just had a lot of life happening this month.

I've been working on my home and managed to get A LOT of renovations done. Completely transformed the bedroom, changed up about 70% of my living room and finished the look I started long ago in my kitchen and dining room.

I've also been catching up on a lot of sleep and relaxation and enjoying the bi-polar pockets of sun we've got this summer while trying to not melt during the freakish heatwaves.

I also had a chance to meet up with my brother and his family when they did their annual trip up to Washington to come and visit A LOT of family. It was incredible seeing them all again and I also managed to find a restaurant/bar in Seattle that allows dogs. So Dozer has a new hangout I'll be frequenting from time to time...

There is now also a second person (also a HAL employee) that will be putting up posts from time to time. See how all posts to date have said "Posted by DBA" at the bottom? You'll occasionally see "Traveler" appear as well. When you have a chance, be sure to say hi!

So yeah, I've been good. And well. And healthy. And happy. What about you? How you been?

Take a look around. Two new posts below of Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam and more to come just like there always has been!

DBA

Been good! Enjoying reading all the postings related to the (apparant) ongoing air conditionning issues onboard both the Veendam and Maasdam! Care to comment?:)

DBA,

After reading several reviews of Nieuw Amsterdam, it seems a common complaint is that the internet is very slow. Is that something that can be improved in the near future or will the internet be slow for the forseable future. Thanks.

DBA,

After reading several reviews of Nieuw Amsterdam, it seems a common complaint is that the internet is very slow. Is that something that can be improved in the near future or will the internet be slow for the forseable future. Thanks.

Bandwidth on all ships in our fleet is comparable to the bandwidth on ships of similar size and guest count. Depending on how many guests are using it and where the ship is located, speed can vary. I'm not aware of any "problems" with the internet connections on any ships

DBA,

I'm not DBA but the Internet is often slow on the ships. Depends upon satellite feed, where you are and everything else. I never found the Med great which is where the NA is right now. I don't think there is too much any ship can do about that.

Welcome back DBA:):)

Welcome back DBA! You were missed. So glad to hear that you were doing things for yourself and are happy with the results of all your hard work. Nice that you got to be with your family. Dozer, I'm sure, is happy to have a new watering hole. Looking forward to reading posts from Traveler. Again, welcome back.

Welcome back DBA! You were missed. So glad to hear that you were doing things for yourself and are happy with the results of all your hard work. Nice that you got to be with your family. Dozer, I'm sure, is happy to have a new watering hole. Looking forward to reading posts from Traveler. Again, welcome back.

Thanks much. Glad to be back.

We will be in Santorini on Sept 13 of this year.Can you tell me how they release passangers to get on the tender boats? We have set up a non HAL tour and just aren't sure if the HAL tour groups get off first. There are several people in SA and Sc suites who get priority tendering.Can the others in the group get off with them even if they aren't in this type of cabin? Thanks so much for all the help to everyone on CC. Sara

p.s. We are on the Noordam.

We will be in Santorini on Sept 13 of this year.Can you tell me how they release passangers to get on the tender boats? We have set up a non HAL tour and just aren't sure if the HAL tour groups get off first. There are several people in SA and Sc suites who get priority tendering.Can the others in the group get off with them even if they aren't in this type of cabin? Thanks so much for all the help to everyone on CC. Sara

p.s. We are on the Noordam.

You might also let DBA know where your tour starts. If your tour starts in Thira and your guide is meeting you at the top of the cable car, you will not have to content with any tour groups. All the tour groups get off at Athinios as it is a low part of Santorini and the bus can pick up the passengers on tour. Then the Captain moves the ship to a point off Thira. The tenders then take all passengers not on a tour. You have 3 ways to make it to the top---donkeys, walking and cable car/funicular. My husband and I have been to Santorini three times, the latest was this spring. Have a great time. Santorini is one of our favorite islands.

Archived