A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

I'm also curious about the size of the I cabins on the Upper Veranda of the Westerdam now. We have I 6071 and our agent said it was 243 sq. ft. Is that not correct?

Very incorrect. Probably more like 170-180 rough guess. 243 is a figure that's used for verandah rooms INCLUDING the balcony

On the Oosterdam last year out itinerary included Bahia Magdelena scenic cruising. We went just inside the head lands at the entrance to the bay. We stayed there for an hour sitting idle, turning slowly like the ships do in Glacier Bay. There were lots of whales. Some came very close to the ship. Take you binoculars and your telephoto lens. There aren’t the distance restrictions that there are in Alaska. But we weren’t anywhere near as close as they were when I was on a Cruise West expedition. We were in a ponga (very small flat bottom boat) and the mother whales and babies came close enough for us to touch them.

Aunty Pat

Thanks for providing that info!

Thank you, DBA, for the information. We appreciate your taking the time to answer these questions for all CCmembers.

We will call our TA tomorrow, as we learned today that our son's friend cannot go on this cruise. It may mean our son has to bunk with us. :eek: If so, we want the largest inside we can get.

My pleasure, and I hear you on large insides. I would take a J/K on Main Deck on Vista/Sig Class over a standard oceanview ANY day

DBA - since you are right by the pier, I'm hoping you know the answer.

DH and I hv a Seattle/Vanc. one day cruise coming up - We want to take

the bus from home (Seattle area) since we hv minimum luggage. Metro gives us the route: 15th Ave W and Garfield Bridge. I know there is a set of steps going up/down from the bridge, but isn't there a path/walkway that we can use from 15th Ave W to the pier? Hate to pay $20-25 from a downtown hotel when the bus fare is .75 cents. Thanks for your help

You know, I've only used the bus once and we just walked across the pier and went up the steps and picked up the bus coming down along the Magnolia Bridge. I really didn't pay too much attention to be totally honest... We were able to walk with no difficulties from the terminal all the way over... it was just pretty cold and windy the day we did it..

DBA is always a great help. and now I will pick on him again. :confused:

Seriously, DBA on HAL's website they now have this great custom itinerary that you can print out. It shows all your orders, tours, etc. It is great.

here's the question. Do I still need to bring confirmations of all of my orders (to be on the safe side) or is the Custom Itinerary enough of a confirmation in case there is any problem? My number #1 rule, come prepared and there is no problem. Thanks so much as always. :):)

Hey Dutch; do you have any influence with, whoever at HAL, keeps up the web site?;) Pretty minor in the big scheme of things, granted, but we're now in September and the 2010 Mariner tiles are still AWOL, the 2009s being the last ones displayed. Thanks dude!

recently within the past week or so we finally found a 45 day cruise to Europe on the Maasdam.. our favorite ship ..roundtrip out of Ft Laud for Oct 2012.. we're booked... are there any more 'surprises' like this in the wind.. ..seems they canceled their Caribbean cruises schedule and replaced them with the Europe cruise..

how about putting in a good word for a roundtrip Ft Laud to Hawaii-Tahiti and back for those of us who refuse to fly anymore... leave Ft Laud 14 days thru the Canal to SD --- SD 30 days to Hawaii-Tahiti back to SD.. 14 days Canal back to Ft Laud..

been trying on my own to combine that exact itinerary for the past 3 years even with a few days layover in SD... always seem to miss it and the connections by anywhere from a day or two overlap to two weeks ... even bothered the heck out of a number of onboard cruise-consultants over that time period with zero results...

my latest try has the Rotterdam on Mar 4 2012 doing 30 to Hawaii Tahiti.. staying onboard SD to Ft Laud 14 days Canal... can't get the first part of the connection from Ft laud -SD without a two week layover in SD... as a last resort even tried Princess and a few others for that first part to SD .. stymied

Might you weigh in on the subject of tipping for room service. Are those servers included in the per diem fixed tip amount one is charged?

The major anti-tipping argument is that you don't tip each night in the MDR as that's already included in your tips and room service is no more than an extension of the MDR.

So....do you or do you not tip your room service server and are they already included in the daily tip fees?

Thanks

Hey Dutch; do you have any influence with, whoever at HAL, keeps up the web site?;) Pretty minor in the big scheme of things, granted, but we're now in September and the 2010 Mariner tiles are still AWOL, the 2009s being the last ones displayed. Thanks dude!

Hey DBA, I too, would like to know when the 2010 Mariner Tiles are going to be displayed on the HAL website!

DBA is always a great help. and now I will pick on him again. :confused:

Seriously, DBA on HAL's website they now have this great custom itinerary that you can print out. It shows all your orders, tours, etc. It is great.

here's the question. Do I still need to bring confirmations of all of my orders (to be on the safe side) or is the Custom Itinerary enough of a confirmation in case there is any problem? My number #1 rule, come prepared and there is no problem. Thanks so much as always. :):)

It's really your personal preference. Whatever makes you feel comfortable is what you should do :)

I've mentioned it to the respective individuals.

In the meantime, I uploaded a photo of the new tiles back in June and you can reference them if you like:

http://www.dutchbyassociation.com/2010/06/2010-mariner-tiles.html

recently within the past week or so we finally found a 45 day cruise to Europe on the Maasdam.. our favorite ship ..roundtrip out of Ft Laud for Oct 2012.. we're booked... are there any more 'surprises' like this in the wind.. ..seems they canceled their Caribbean cruises schedule and replaced them with the Europe cruise..

how about putting in a good word for a roundtrip Ft Laud to Hawaii-Tahiti and back for those of us who refuse to fly anymore... leave Ft Laud 14 days thru the Canal to SD --- SD 30 days to Hawaii-Tahiti back to SD.. 14 days Canal back to Ft Laud..

been trying on my own to combine that exact itinerary for the past 3 years even with a few days layover in SD... always seem to miss it and the connections by anywhere from a day or two overlap to two weeks ... even bothered the heck out of a number of onboard cruise-consultants over that time period with zero results...

my latest try has the Rotterdam on Mar 4 2012 doing 30 to Hawaii Tahiti.. staying onboard SD to Ft Laud 14 days Canal... can't get the first part of the connection from Ft laud -SD without a two week layover in SD... as a last resort even tried Princess and a few others for that first part to SD .. stymied

You blew the cover on that brand new itinerary before I could post about it on the blog... Well done! The itinerary looks phenomenal and I was just waiting for the map to get loaded and it looks like it just was. I attached it here for all to see. All the overnights make this especially appealing.

ET1S45.jpg.2f67ffdd0ede717fe69dd3b9cbef2cd2.jpg

Might you weigh in on the subject of tipping for room service. Are those servers included in the per diem fixed tip amount one is charged?

The major anti-tipping argument is that you don't tip each night in the MDR as that's already included in your tips and room service is no more than an extension of the MDR.

So....do you or do you not tip your room service server and are they already included in the daily tip fees?

Thanks

To my knowledge they are not included, I usually tip a few dollars for each delivery.

It's really your personal preference. Whatever makes you feel comfortable is what you should do :)

Thanks DBA :) if the custome itinerary is enough 'proof' or my orders (just in case :eek:), i will gladly take just that.:)

I've mentioned it to the respective individuals.

In the meantime, I uploaded a photo of the new tiles back in June and you can reference them if you like:

http://www.dutchbyassociation.com/2010/06/2010-mariner-tiles.html

On the initial sailing of the Nieuw A they were giving out a tile with the ship's picture on it, in the style of a few years back. Do you know if they're still giving them out, or any way I could get one if that was just for the first cruises? (None have shown up on ebay yet.)

I'll ask on-board sometime in the next 19 days if you don't know the answer! :)

To my knowledge they are not included, I usually tip a few dollars for each delivery.
Generally the room service deliveries are done by the same stewards who work in the MDR or Lido at other times of the day, and so they are included in the pool. But we give them a couple of bucks too, as we consider it extra service.

You blew the cover on that brand new itinerary before I could post about it on the blog... Well done! The itinerary looks phenomenal and I was just waiting for the map to get loaded and it looks like it just was. I attached it here for all to see. All the overnights make this especially appealing.

okay... so now I'll leave you to post the other itinerary that I was asking about--- Roundtrip Ft Laud --Tahiti-Hawaii and back to Ft Laud in 2012 .. c'mon .. I know you have it hidden away in the 'DBA vault'... surprise us... :D:cool:

Hi DBA

Would you know if the new soda cards are on the Eurodam yet, or when they are coming in? I understand the new ones which have been on trial on some ships cost $25 for $50 value of soda - thanks. :)

They're on a handful of ships and coming to the rest soon. No set dates I'm aware of but I don't anticipate any/many more delays

On the initial sailing of the Nieuw A they were giving out a tile with the ship's picture on it, in the style of a few years back. Do you know if they're still giving them out, or any way I could get one if that was just for the first cruises? (None have shown up on ebay yet.)

I'll ask on-board sometime in the next 19 days if you don't know the answer! :)

Generally the room service deliveries are done by the same stewards who work in the MDR or Lido at other times of the day, and so they are included in the pool. But we give them a couple of bucks too, as we consider it extra service.

1) I know exactly what tiles you're talking about but there aren't a whole lot of extras from what I heard. I have a feeling crossing your fingers for an appearance on ebay might be your best bet.

2) Agreed

okay... so now I'll leave you to post the other itinerary that I was asking about--- Roundtrip Ft Laud --Tahiti-Hawaii and back to Ft Laud in 2012 .. c'mon .. I know you have it hidden away in the 'DBA vault'... surprise us... :D:cool:

Yeah, that one's a lot trickier. Not a lot of itineraries short of grand world voyage or segments that start on one coast and then explore the other ocean...

Unfortunately, I'm thinking best bet would be grand world segments and then just one flight back to Ft. Laud from wherever you choose to go through... or do that couple of week camp out in So Cal

What a great itinerary...Do you know the dates & the ship?

Thanks DBA for all your help & info..

Cheers....:)Betty

Archived