A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

Hi DBA

Can you please tell me who will be the Captain on the Noordam in the beginning of January 2011.

Thanks and have a great day!

Not sure that DBA keeps an up to date schedule of the Ships crew including Captains, as I've tried doing a search on his blog & can't find it..I may be looking in the wrong place..

I know that Capt. Mateboer just left the ship on leave & Capt. Scott just took over as Master on the Noordam when it left Barcelona..Believe he will still be there in Jan. but not sure..We're boarding the Noordam one month from today..

However, Copper10-8 always seems to know the schedules of the Officers on each ship, & has been answering our questions for many years...

This is a thread started a couple of days ago by others wanting to know Captains, HM's etc..on other ships..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1290261

You might want to post your question on this thread..Copper 10-8 is probably working now, but he will eventually see it & answer everyone..

Cheers...:)Betty

Please let me know anything you are curious about or would like to see covered.

I simply ask that you realize that I am not your travel agent, the Reservations department nor your Personal Cruise Consultant and that I am unable to discuss your personal booking, take payments, provide free upgrades :) and so forth.

Perhaps you can answer a question from another thread on this site. Is it possible to have a group tour of the Bridge, Engine Room, Kitchen and/or Crew Quarters on a ship. If so, how would one go about arranging such.

Gallery Tours are held on every HAL ship.

I would not mind seeing the Bridge as we have on most other ships we have been on.

DBA,

We have a couple of questions, if you could answer them. This is a quote from another thread,

"Well, when you sit down to think of a name...It's kind of hard to come up with something. As for HAL, they name them after cities and directions...but the 'dam' on the end means they carry passengers. EM "

I think the 'dam' on the end is just that, Amsterdam is a dam on the Amstel River, Rotterdam is a dam on the Rotte River, Westerdam was originally Westerdijk, Zuiderdam was originall Zuiderdijk, so dijk in Dutch is a dam.

What's the correct answer?

Thanks Eleanor

….

Hello "agabbymama"

during the long history, all vessels wearing "Dijk" are been cargo-vessels – and the one with "Dam" are always been passenger-vessels (off course as Murphy predict, with some exceptions….)

But the actual name of several vessels of HAL has not always a logical sentence :

i.e. Noordam – Amsterdam, Zuiderdam – Westerdam simply presents the 4 points of the compass.

The Dutch meaning behind "Dam" and "Dijk" is close to each other in its today application and quiet mixed-up even inside the Netherland language usage, but is different in its original intents :

A "Dijk" is a protection mechanism for inland waterways, and they are -wall and waterway- mostly meanwhile even higher then the land surrounding it.

A "Dam" is the ultimate cost protection for the land behind the ocean.

This is especially true and needed for the Netherland, because there are large regions, where the land behind the DAM is often a couple of meters (up-to 21 feet) lower then the cost line / see level.

The name of the deepest point in Holland and meanwhile for whole Europe is "Nieuwerkerk aan den Ijssel" and is protected by the Zuidplaspolder -> another Dutch name (Polder) for a land/water protection……

Happy cruising

G E R D

Our marvelous cruises : :)

MS Ryndam – Wayfarer – March 1997

MS Noordam - Transatlantic Island Hook - April 2001

MS Volendam - Southern Caribbean - April 2002

MS Volendam - Westfarer Caribbean - April 2004

MS Prinsendam - Windmills & Waterford – September 2004

MS Westerdam - Western Caribbean - April 2005

MS Statendam - Hawaii Circle - September 2005

MS Rotterdam - Vikings and Czars – July 2006

MS Veendam - Southern Caribbean – March 2007

MS Volendam – Panama Canal – April 2008

MS Noordam – Mediterranean Enchantment – September 2009

MS Nieuw Amsterdam - Mediterranean Inaugural Cruise - July 2010

MS Nieuw Amsterdam - Mediterranean Empires - July 2010

169 days - 39'247 Nm :

3starMariner.gif

Future Cruise : :p

1 open booking

….

Hello "agabbymama"

during the long history, all vessels wearing "Dijk" are been cargo-vessels – and the one with "Dam" are always been passenger-vessels (off course as Murphy predict, with some exceptions….)

But the actual name of several vessels of HAL has not always a logical sentence :

i.e. Noordam – Amsterdam, Zuiderdam – Westerdam simply presents the 4 points of the compass.

The Dutch meaning behind "Dam" and "Dijk" is close to each other in its today application and quiet mixed-up even inside the Netherland language usage, but is different in its original intents :

A "Dijk" is a protection mechanism for inland waterways, and they are -wall and waterway- mostly meanwhile even higher then the land surrounding it.

A "Dam" is the ultimate cost protection for the land behind the ocean.

This is especially true and needed for the Netherland, because there are large regions, where the land behind the DAM is often a couple of meters (up-to 21 feet) lower then the cost line / see level.

The name of the deepest point in Holland and meanwhile for whole Europe is "Nieuwerkerk aan den Ijssel" and is protected by the Zuidplaspolder -> another Dutch name (Polder) for a land/water protection……

Happy cruising

G E R D

Our marvelous cruises : :)

MS Ryndam – Wayfarer – March 1997

MS Noordam - Transatlantic Island Hook - April 2001

MS Volendam - Southern Caribbean - April 2002

MS Volendam - Westfarer Caribbean - April 2004

MS Prinsendam - Windmills & Waterford – September 2004

MS Westerdam - Western Caribbean - April 2005

MS Statendam - Hawaii Circle - September 2005

MS Rotterdam - Vikings and Czars – July 2006

MS Veendam - Southern Caribbean – March 2007

MS Volendam – Panama Canal – April 2008

MS Noordam – Mediterranean Enchantment – September 2009

MS Nieuw Amsterdam - Mediterranean Inaugural Cruise - July 2010

MS Nieuw Amsterdam - Mediterranean Empires - July 2010

169 days - 39'247 Nm :

3starMariner.gif

Future Cruise : :p

1 open booking

Thank you Gerd, very interesting information. And I do remember hearing polder also. And when I visited the Delta Works and Oosterschelde Flood Barrier, it was truly amazing. It is really mind boggling to see the extent that the Netherlands relies on these dams, dikes, polders, etc.

I just had not heard that dijk was for cargo vessels and dam for passenger vessels.

DBA,

We have a couple of questions, if you could answer them. This is a quote from another thread,

"Well, when you sit down to think of a name...It's kind of hard to come up with something. As for HAL, they name them after cities and directions...but the 'dam' on the end means they carry passengers. EM "

I think the 'dam' on the end is just that, Amsterdam is a dam on the Amstel River, Rotterdam is a dam on the Rotte River, Westerdam was originally Westerdijk, Zuiderdam was originall Zuiderdijk, so dijk in Dutch is a dam.

Thanks Eleanor

Thank you Gerd, very interesting information. And I do remember hearing polder also. And when I visited the Delta Works and Oosterschelde Flood Barrier, it was truly amazing. It is really mind boggling to see the extent that the Netherlands relies on these dams, dikes, polders, etc.

I just had not heard that dijk was for cargo vessels and dam for passenger vessels.

I believe that it was Copper10-8, who once explained that most of the ships are actually named after cities/towns/areas in Holland rather than Dams, however there are exceptions to the rule, such as the points on the compass & the Eurodam..

Just before Eurodam was named, posters on this board, had fun trying to think up good names for that ship..You would not believe some of them..Unfortunately I can't find the thread..

cheers...:)Betty

Please let me know anything you are curious about or would like to see covered.

I simply ask that you realize that I am not your travel agent, the Reservations department nor your Personal Cruise Consultant and that I am unable to discuss your personal booking, take payments, provide free upgrades :) and so forth.

Perhaps you can answer a question from another thread on this site. Is it possible to have a group tour of the Bridge, Engine Room, Kitchen and/or Crew Quarters on a ship. If so, how would one go about arranging such.

Only arranged tour is of the galley. The rest are exceptionally few and far between... and usually if you happen to know an officer even then... It obviously never hurts to ask but the reason these areas are not wide open anymore is primarily because of heightened security following 9/11

DBA,

Thanks Eleanor

Hi Eleanor,

Well, as I mentioned in my reply to you on gmail, the prime difference is that -dam indicates passenger ships and -dijk, later -dyk indicate cargo ships.

My husband and I have sailed on Hal 8 times. Unfortunately, we did have a very bad experience with smokers and are now going back to Royal Caribbean. We really like Holland America, and I do not want to "beat a dead horse" , but they really should do something about their smoking police. Other cruise lines have designated smoking areas as apposed to "all outside decks". I am not asking for no smoking, but at least have one side of the ship designated as non-smoking. Where can someone go on an outside deck to be away from smokers? I had people deliberately blowing smoke in my face because I complained. Very rude.

My husband and I have sailed on Hal 8 times. Unfortunately, we did have a very bad experience with smokers and are now going back to Royal Caribbean. We really like Holland America, and I do not want to "beat a dead horse" , but they really should do something about their smoking police. Other cruise lines have designated smoking areas as apposed to "all outside decks". I am not asking for no smoking, but at least have one side of the ship designated as non-smoking. Where can someone go on an outside deck to be away from smokers? I had people deliberately blowing smoke in my face because I complained. Very rude.

Sorry to hear you had that experience.

Hi can anyone tell me regarding eating in Tamarind with our 10 year kid ?

is it free for kid her age ? we will sail on Niew Amsterdam in January 2010 and wanted to bring our 2 girl to dine at Tamarind we all big funs of Asian cuisine:)

At her age I BELIEVE it is complimentary. If nothing else it will be 1/2 off but I believe that is for 13-17. Lunch is completely complimentary for all and a dim sum menu so keep that in mind too!

Hi DBA,

We're on the Westerdam's first cruise after its Trans Atlantic. Our departure time was recently changed from 5pm to 7pm, and posters on cc have mentioned that there is a lot that happens on board, including many crew changes after a TA. Our boarding passes haven't changed. They were origninally 1pm and are still 1pm. The big question is what time should we expect to be allowed on board? We would like to be able to plan our rides to the ship, and know whether we should eat lunch before arriving at the pier. Travel Agents are giving us different advice...

DBA, I know the Pinnacle Grill/Le Cirque has a cover charge and the Canaletto does not. Does the cover charge include the tip? Do the auto-tips include the staff in these restaurants? Is it customary to tip extra in either restaurant? Thanks in advance for your answer!

Does the cover charge include the tip? Do the auto-tips include the staff in these restaurants?

The cover charge does not include the tip in the Pinnacle or the Canaletto (or Tamarind on Signature ships); the service charge does.

we booked plane post cruise (Nieuw Amsterdam) in FLL, upond return we are flying out of Miami airport i had hear many different variations for taxi fare anywhere from 80 to 100 is that correct:confused:, i checked with ship tours post cruise we can not do them since our flight departs at 2 :30 pm from Miami so it leaves us only with a taxi we are a family of 4 , any info or suggestions please ? and i checked with ship transfer they are 30 $ per person for a family of 4 it is 120 $$$$ :eek: is a cab is our only option ?

we booked plane post cruise (Nieuw Amsterdam) in FLL, upond return we are flying out of Miami airport i had hear many different variations for taxi fare anywhere from 80 to 100 is that correct:confused:, i checked with ship tours post cruise we can not do them since our flight departs at 2 :30 pm from Miami so it leaves us only with a taxi we are a family of 4 , any info or suggestions please ? and i checked with ship transfer they are 30 $ per person for a family of 4 it is 120 $$$$ :eek: is a cab is our only option ?

Try SAS Transportation. $15.00pp IIRC.

Archived