A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

DBA

I have read that the wait staff is rotated between Traditional Dining and Anytime Dinning, is there truth to this? I hate to get a repor going with my tradional wait staff just to have them moved and then start up with another wait staff mid cruise.

Can you tell me if they actually do this? We will be on a 14 day to Hawaii.

Thanks again

I'm not DBA but I can tell you that if you are in fixed dining you will have the same waiter and assistant every single night.

I don't know about any rotation, but we just got off the NA and were on fixed dining and we had the same waiters, same on the Zuiderdam in April and same on every dam ship I have been on. hope this helps :D

DBA

I have read that the wait staff is rotated between Traditional Dining and Anytime Dinning, is there truth to this? I hate to get a repor going with my tradional wait staff just to have them moved and then start up with another wait staff mid cruise.

Dining staff does rotate, but not during the course of a normal length cruise.

On some longer cruises a steward could leave at the end of a segment, so there will be a change for his section.

Dining staff does rotate, but not during the course of a normal length cruise.

On some longer cruises a steward could leave at the end of a segment, so there will be a change for his section.

Agreed, maybe some changes on a back to back between the two... but not in the middle of a cruise for fixed dining...

thanks in advance for your help..again. I know I have read the answer to the first but cant find it again.

Are the electrical outlets the same as USA/Canada outlets or will I need an adapter for my battery charger etc?

I read somewhere that not all staterooms have fridges. I take a medication that requires refrigeration. Should I request a refrigerator in our stateroom in advance or will I be easily able to get one if there isn't one in the stateroom once we board?.

regards bunzo

Are the electrical outlets the same as USA/Canada outlets or will I need an adapter for my battery charger etc?

I read somewhere that not all staterooms have fridges. I take a medication that requires refrigeration. Should I request a refrigerator in our stateroom in advance or will I be easily able to get one if there isn't one in the stateroom once we board?

It would help if you would say what ship you are on. All of the S-class and R-class ships have one combination 115v/220v outlet over the desk, and the newer Signature ships have two combos. (pics below) If you need more outlets than that, ask at the front desk for a power strip, as only HAL-supplied ones should be used.

2811377320099632937S200x200Q85.jpg2438094290099632937S200x200Q85.jpg

All cabins on Vistas and Signature ships, and the Prinsendam, have fridges, and on the R- and S-class all cabins with a veranda (BC and above) have one. On the latter two classes you can rent one for $2/day, and it should be ordered as early as possible by callship services at 800-541-1576.

GeriatricNurse......

Perhaps you are unaware that the size and boldness of your font makes it appear as though you are shouting....

Could you possibly modify the "loudness" factor?

Thanks

Believe it or not, he used to use a larger font ... but just as many exclamation points. And I doubt if he'll change at your request ... either.

:)

even LARGER? wow.... well, I meant well... :D

---------------------------

For example, from July:
Big problem, especially during ANY school breaks!!! I would strongly advise booking a cruise any time other than a school break!:)

This "shouting" bothers me so much that I have him on my Ignore list, and only see his posts if someone quotes him. :D

I read somewhere that not all staterooms have fridges. I take a medication that requires refrigeration. Should I request a refrigerator in our stateroom in advance or will I be easily able to get one if there isn't one in the stateroom once we board?

I just thought to look at your other posts, and see that you are on the Rotterdam. You will have just one 115v/220v combo outlet, and no refrig unless you are in a BC or above cabin, or rent one.

I just thought to look at your other posts, and see that you are on the Rotterdam. You will have just one 115v/220v combo outlet, and no refrig unless you are in a BC or above cabin, or rent one.

If you rent a fridge, does that take away 1 of your outlets?

On our last HAL cruise, we sensed that there was an overall reduction in services-particularly in the MDR and most especially with our room steward (who seemed very overworked). Has there been a reduction in staffing levels in those areas or an increase in workload? It could have been a misperception on our part but this was our impression.

On our last HAL cruise, we sensed that there was an overall reduction in services-particularly in the MDR and most especially with our room steward (who seemed very overworked). Has there been a reduction in staffing levels in those areas or an increase in workload? It could have been a misperception on our part but this was our impression.

From my recent cruising experience, I would say yes! :mad: (Although, I believe that I asked a similar question to DBA & I believe that he indicated that there has not been a reduction in staffing levels)! :(

Would that be your recollection, DBA?;)

I would say same staffing, just pulled in more directions. Now that they have several alternative dining areas, they have to cover, and a few more cabins on the retrofitted ships. I doubt they upped the staff, just adjusted job descriptions to cover everywhere. I often see the Crows Nest bar staff downstairs in the Showroom, when needed. They don't just stand around waiting for the crowds to come back to the crow's nest.

Yes, it does! So pack a power bar/strip & bring it with you! :)
Do NOT pack your own power strip. From the Know Before You Go pages:

If more outlet space is necessary, only Holland America Line provided power bars are to be used. Please contact the Front Office for more information.

I don't know for sure, but the refrigerator may use the 220v outlet.

Yes, it does! So pack a power bar/strip & bring it with you! :)

If more outlet space is necessary, only Holland America Line provided power bars are to be used. Please contact the Front Office for more information.

Thanks, I'll probably just forgo the fridge.

Roy

thanks in advance for your help..again. I know I have read the answer to the first but cant find it again.

I read somewhere that not all staterooms have fridges. I take a medication that requires refrigeration. Should I request a refrigerator in our stateroom in advance or will I be easily able to get one if there isn't one in the stateroom once we board?.

regards bunzo

I met someone on our cruise on the Rotterdam who told me she ordered a refrigerator when she did her online check in. Apparently there's a place for special requests and refrigerator is on it. When she ordered a refrigerator during online check in she was not charged. I did not know there was no refrigerators available so I didn't request one. They charge $2 per day. After meeting her and finding out they are available for medicine, I requested one from the front desk. I was told that I should store my medications in the medical center on the first deck and complimentary refrigerators are not available for medication.

I met someone on our cruise on the Rotterdam who told me she ordered a refrigerator when she did her online check in.
Are you (and/or she) sure it wasn't during booking? I see no place in the OnLine CheckIn for any special requests such as this.

Are you (and/or she) sure it wasn't during booking? I see no place in the OnLine CheckIn for any special requests such as this.

Her name is Diane and she travelled with her husband and her son, Michael, both disabled. Diane said that when she checked in on line there was a place for "special requests" like dietary choices, etc. and refrigerator was there. I don't think I misunderstood her, but maybe I did. When I saw her I told her the desk said complimentary refrigerators are not available for medication and that I had to take my medicines to the medical department. She said they were absolutely wrong and she had a refrigerator and got it by requesting it online.

Diane said that when she checked in on line there was a place for "special requests" like dietary choices, etc. and refrigerator was there. I don't think I misunderstood her, but maybe I did.
I don't think you misunderstand her, I think she mis-remembered where she made the special request. The OnLine Check-In consists of 7 parts:

1. General Information - name, gender, birthday, country of citizenship & residence

2. home address, phone, email address

3. passport details

4. pre-cruise and post-cruise plans

5. emergency contacts

6. on-board expenses payment method

7. summary

There is no place to make any special requests.

I would say same staffing, just pulled in more directions. Now that they have several alternative dining areas, they have to cover, and a few more cabins on the retrofitted ships. I doubt they upped the staff, just adjusted job descriptions to cover everywhere. I often see the Crows Nest bar staff downstairs in the Showroom, when needed. They don't just stand around waiting for the crowds to come back to the crow's nest.

beverage staff have always worked multiple venues. When we were on Rotterdam in April our bev steward in the Retreat was Jane and then she was our wine steward in the Pinnacle. She's great by the way if you ever sail with her

The ones that are in the rooms permanently are 220v... the ones brought in by request for the $2/day I'm not 100% sure but would imagine the same.

And thank you for quoting about the power strips :)

Archived