A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

So since it's official that I have the biggest thread (sticky or otherwise) on the HAL forum of CC, 2000+ posts and a new look on the blog for 2011, let's take a little different approach...

In addition to any Q's that are asked whenever...

On the blog, what do I:

• currently not offer on the blog that you would like to see?
  • offer and you would like to see more of?

and/or

• offer now and you wish I would knock it off already?

Let me know! :D

So since it's official that I have the biggest thread (sticky or otherwise) on the HAL forum of CC, 2000+ posts and a new look on the blog for 2011, let's take a little different approach...

In addition to any Q's that are asked whenever...

On the blog, what do I:

• currently not offer on the blog that you would like to see?
  • offer and you would like to see more of?

and/or

• offer now and you wish I would knock it off already?

Let me know! :D

Hi DBA,

I don't know if this is possible or not, but one question that is asked a lot on the boards as we approach our cruise times is...who are the officers on board. if there was a spot where you could stick the Captain, HM or anyone else, that would be really neat. :)

I don't know how time consuming it would be though or how often they change. if it's a lot, no worries. :) and if HAL doesn't want it published, no worries.

Some very astute people on the boards seem to know how to find out, but the rest of us don't. Thanks as always :D:D

...who are the officers on board. if there was a spot where you could stick the Captain, HM or anyone else, that would be really neat. :)

There used to be such a thread run but Copper10-8, and IIRC it was even a sticky. CC removed it at the request of HAL. Sorry. :(

There used to be such a thread run but Copper10-8, and IIRC it was even a sticky. CC removed it at the request of HAL. Sorry. :(

thanks, oh well:( I wonder why they wouldn't want people to know who the captain is? security? thanks for the input John - sorry to have bothered you DBA :o:o

• 2 weeks later...
Hi DBA,

I don't know if this is possible or not, but one question that is asked a lot on the boards as we approach our cruise times is...who are the officers on board. if there was a spot where you could stick the Captain, HM or anyone else, that would be really neat. :)

I don't know how time consuming it would be though or how often they change. if it's a lot, no worries. :) and if HAL doesn't want it published, no worries.

Some very astute people on the boards seem to know how to find out, but the rest of us don't. Thanks as always :D:D

I could certainly see if this is possible, at least for the MAJOR positions people ask about the most...

Captain, Hotel Manager, Cruise Director, perhaps the entertainment and the dates they are scheduled until.

I'll ask around and see if this can be done.

thanks, oh well:( I wonder why they wouldn't want people to know who the captain is? security? thanks for the input John - sorry to have bothered you DBA :o:o

You never know if things have changed. I'll ask around the office and see if this would be okay'd. I know for some people a particular officer, entertainer, tc could determine what ship they pick next

You never know if things have changed. I'll ask around the office and see if this would be okay'd. I know for some people a particular officer, entertainer, tc could determine what ship they pick next

Thank you very much DBA. Your efforts are always appreciated :):)

I have checked with the approrpiate staff and unfortunately this is not something that can be published on the web. Best thing to recommend is to ask somebody who was recently on the ship who the officers were for their cruise (since the ships give out the Cruise Log and they are all listed on the back page, it should be easy to get the information)

I have checked with the approrpiate staff and unfortunately this is not something that can be published on the web. Best thing to recommend is to ask somebody who was recently on the ship who the officers were for their cruise (since the ships give out the Cruise Log and they are all listed on the back page, it should be easy to get the information)

Thanks just the same DBA. Appreciate the suggestion :)

So since it's official that I have the biggest thread (sticky or otherwise) on the HAL forum of CC, 2000+ posts....

Congratulations on attaining the largest post-count of any thread! It's quite a thread.

My "RevNeal's LIVE Eurodam Report" thread maxed out at 1286 replies ... but still holds the record number of views at 162,852. :D

Nevertheless, congratulations!

Regarding something that you could post on your weblog, how about a schedule for fleet dry/wet docking and the work that is scheduled to be done on each ship at those dry/wet docks? You have a lot of excellent photographs of dry/wet docks, but it would be helpful to have a schedule of future dry docks. Would that be allowed?

Greg, not to burst a bubble, but while your thread is the most-viewed about a specific cruise, Copper's thread about "Your First Cruise" actually has had more views (over 222,000).

There's no "bubble" to burst. :D

I just didn't know.

Thanks for the correction!

Congratulations to Copper are due for what is probably the most viewed thread on the HAL CC board!

Congratulations on attaining the largest post-count of any thread! It's quite a thread.

My "RevNeal's LIVE Eurodam Report" thread maxed out at 1286 replies ... but still holds the record number of views at 162,852. :D

Nevertheless, congratulations!

Regarding something that you could post on your weblog, how about a schedule for fleet dry/wet docking and the work that is scheduled to be done on each ship at those dry/wet docks? You have a lot of excellent photographs of dry/wet docks, but it would be helpful to have a schedule of future dry docks. Would that be allowed?

Hi DBA - Any chance you would be able to obtain information to confirm what work was done and completed during Amsterdam's December 2010 scheduled drydock ?

Thank you in advance-;)

[/i][/color]

Hi DBA - Any chance you would be able to obtain information to confirm what work was done and completed during Amsterdam's December 2010 scheduled drydock ?

Thank you in advance-;)

Amsterdam was at/in BAE Systems San Francisco Ship Repair's floating drydock at Pier 70 from 14 through 22 December 2010 for standard maintenance and upkeep

"Standard maintenance and upkeep" usually takes place, on the avg, every 2 1/2 to 3 years, and can include any of the following:

· Wrap every interior area in plastic to avoid damage by contractors

· Deep-clean all cabins and public areas

· Re-upholster, repair and/or replace worn furniture in public rooms and staterooms

· Shampoo all carpets, replace where necessary

· Renovate all wood and dance floors

· Touch up interior paint

· Empty, clean, and re-stock all mini-bars

· Repair the thousands of little things broken during normal operations

· General cosmetic work; repaint, replace damaged wall panels, etc.

· Repair or replace cracked window and door glass

· Repair or replace all tile flooring, i.e. Galleys

· Renovate or replace Galley equipment

· Renovate all elevators

· Clean, repaint and repair swimming pools and Jacuzzis

· Clean and renovate all deck and balcony sun loungers

· Renovate/refinish teak decks and railings

· Repair, clean and upgrade all crew areas

· Replenish supplies of China, glassware, cutlery, bed linens and towels

· Clean and inventory all the items in hundreds of storage lockers

· Maintain/update shipboard computer system

· Maintain/upgrade video system

· Maintain/upgrade internet system

· Maintain/upgrade telephone system

· Maintain, inspect and/or repair cables and/or pipes

· Remove, maintain and repair where necessary all life boats

· Inspect and replace when necessary all life vests

· Overhaul, upgrade and/or maintain all shipboard mechanical and propulsion (azi-pod) systems

· Polish propellers

· Maintain anchors and anchor chain

· Clean and maintain all ballast tanks

· Re-paint exterior

· Clean, sand blast/strip and repaint the hull below the waterline

· Stand fire watch

· Feed and care for the 100s or 1000s of contractors living onboard during the dry-dock

· Carry garbage and debris off the ship every hour

· Clean up the mess made by the onboard contractors

Amsterdam was at/in BAE Systems San Francisco Ship Repair's floating drydock at Pier 70 from 14 through 22 December 2010 for standard maintenance and upkeep

"Standard maintenance and upkeep" usually takes place, on the avg, every 2 1/2 to 3 years, and can include any of the following:

· Wrap every interior area in plastic to avoid damage by contractors

· Deep-clean all cabins and public areas

· Re-upholster, repair and/or replace worn furniture in public rooms and staterooms

· Shampoo all carpets, replace where necessary

· Renovate all wood and dance floors

· Touch up interior paint

· Empty, clean, and re-stock all mini-bars

· Repair the thousands of little things broken during normal operations

· General cosmetic work; repaint, replace damaged wall panels, etc.

· Repair or replace cracked window and door glass

· Repair or replace all tile flooring, i.e. Galleys

· Renovate or replace Galley equipment

· Renovate all elevators

· Clean, repaint and repair swimming pools and Jacuzzis

· Clean and renovate all deck and balcony sun loungers

· Renovate/refinish teak decks and railings

· Repair, clean and upgrade all crew areas

· Replenish supplies of China, glassware, cutlery, bed linens and towels

· Clean and inventory all the items in hundreds of storage lockers

· Maintain/update shipboard computer system

· Maintain/upgrade video system

· Maintain/upgrade internet system

· Maintain/upgrade telephone system

· Maintain, inspect and/or repair cables and/or pipes

· Remove, maintain and repair where necessary all life boats

· Inspect and replace when necessary all life vests

· Overhaul, upgrade and/or maintain all shipboard mechanical and propulsion (azi-pod) systems

· Polish propellers

· Maintain anchors and anchor chain

· Clean and maintain all ballast tanks

· Re-paint exterior

· Clean, sand blast/strip and repaint the hull below the waterline

· Stand fire watch

· Feed and care for the 100s or 1000s of contractors living onboard during the dry-dock

· Carry garbage and debris off the ship every hour

· Clean up the mess made by the onboard contractors

Wow ... can I get them to do my house?

Wow ... can I get them to do my house?

No kidding......Be happy to forward my address with our "to do list " while we are away during our next cruise. They will even have 3 weeks to complete the job !!! :)

Regarding the Amsterdam, how much of this list was accomplished during drydock in December 2010? I am aware that the dining room chairs were replaced in the MDR. Am also curious of any other noticable "cosmetic updates/upgrades" made throughout the ship such as in the cabins, and other major public areas. In what year was the cabin decor last updated? Or was it ever?

Thanks in advance DBA.;)

Hello "Dutch"

Congrats to your achievement.

I do have some question which one I would like to understand :

The European office at Rotterdam, what is actually there business ?

- when I send them a question in a European language, they cannot read/answer….

- when I have a question about a booking, they always forward me to Seattle

- latest, I ordered those new luggage tags – and in order to avoid a transatlantic shipment, I addresses it to Rotterdam => again without success ?

- are they actually a kind of local TA head office which one collect just all European wide TA / client bookings, or do they more ?

- why they could not help with questions –the preference in a European language- one could have about a already booked or a future cruise ?

- you can imagine how expensive those long distance, transatlantic calls are – so a Rotterdam phone number and dedicated E-Mail address would be really helpful

- the French HAL address is also not a help, because they forward me for anything to Seattle

Some other questions :

- why some reservations we cannot do in advance, but only ones we are on board – and then, we detect, that the list is already full or closet (two kind of clients ?)

- and finally, why I hear everywhere around that they could bring visitors on board on the embarkation day (and myself have seen a lot on board), but Seattle does not grant my request => telling me about a strict rule > fleet wide (two kind of clients treatment) ???

Happy cruising

G E R D

Our marvelous cruises : :)

MS Ryndam – Wayfarer – March 1997

MS Noordam - Transatlantic Island Hook - April 2001

MS Volendam - Southern Caribbean - April 2002

MS Volendam - Westfarer Caribbean - April 2004

MS Prinsendam - Windmills & Waterford – September 2004

MS Westerdam - Western Caribbean - April 2005

MS Statendam - Hawaii Circle - September 2005

MS Rotterdam - Vikings and Czars – July 2006

MS Veendam - Southern Caribbean – March 2007

MS Volendam – Panama Canal – April 2008

MS Noordam – Mediterranean Enchantment – September 2009

MS Nieuw Amsterdam - Mediterranean Inaugural Cruise - July 2010

MS Nieuw Amsterdam - Mediterranean Empires - July 2010

169 days - 39'247 Nm :

3starMariner.gif

Future Cruise : :p

14 days MS Ryndam – North Cape Splendors, June 12

9b8a15a4519e8fb26c1ad9d9cc11dcb2.png

Hello "Dutch"

Congrats to your achievement.

I do have some question which one I would like to understand :

The European office at Rotterdam, what is actually there business ?

- when I send them a question in a European language, they cannot read/answer….

- when I have a question about a booking, they always forward me to Seattle

- latest, I ordered those new luggage tags – and in order to avoid a transatlantic shipment, I addresses it to Rotterdam => again without success ?

- are they actually a kind of local TA head office which one collect just all European wide TA / client bookings, or do they more ?

- why they could not help with questions –the preference in a European language- one could have about a already booked or a future cruise ?

- you can imagine how expensive those long distance, transatlantic calls are – so a Rotterdam phone number and dedicated E-Mail address would be really helpful

- the French HAL address is also not a help, because they forward me for anything to Seattle

Some other questions :

- why some reservations we cannot do in advance, but only ones we are on board – and then, we detect, that the list is already full or closet (two kind of clients ?)

- and finally, why I hear everywhere around that they could bring visitors on board on the embarkation day (and myself have seen a lot on board), but Seattle does not grant my request => telling me about a strict rule > fleet wide (two kind of clients treatment) ???

Happy cruising

G E R D

Thesequestions could likely all best be addressed by that office itself. I understand the difficulties you have expressed, but being half a world away I am unfortunately not familiar with their operations. Sorry I can't be of more help

Archived