A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

Hi DBA, first of all I like your 'new look'. thanks.

I have been struggling looking to figure out where the Prisendam docks in Seville. If you know, or any of our wise cc'ers, could you advise where and the address. I found the port site (I think), but it doesn't give the address.

Yes, all of you out there, the Prisendam does a 'river' cruise right into Seville. No Cadiz for us :):) Thanks so much.

Hi DBA, first of all I like your 'new look'. thanks.

I have been struggling looking to figure out where the Prisendam docks in Seville. If you know, or any of our wise cc'ers, could you advise where and the address. I found the port site (I think), but it doesn't give the address.

Yes, all of you out there, the Prisendam does a 'river' cruise right into Seville. No Cadiz for us :):) Thanks so much.

Appreciate the comments on the redesign. It means a lot!

I actually don't have the information. Call reservations. There's a database with port info they can access and it MAY have the answers you seek.

Any chance HAL will return to sailing out of the port of New Orleans? Thanks

Haven't heard anything. I know we prefer to get ships as close to the Caribbean as possible from the start. That way we can offer more ports and longer durations down throughout the islands (that's a lot of the justification for why we left NYC on Caribbean runs)

However, you never know... I know that New Orleans is on the rebound in terms of cruise ships and Texas is a growing market. Haven't heard anything, but you can't rule anything out either.

Appreciate the comments on the redesign. It means a lot!

I actually don't have the information. Call reservations. There's a database with port info they can access and it MAY have the answers you seek.

Thanks very much DBA:)

We are thinking of booking Maasdam S cabin category next year for January 2012 can u please tell us if the TV in the S cabins will be flat screens , right now when you look at the cabin video from hal virtual tour the cabin décor looks very dated:eek: can you tell me please if the bedspread and curtains and couch will be update for January 2012 cruise and if they will replace the very old looking TV set with the new flat screens that we had on Nieuw Amsterdam , also does Maasdam will have Slice Pizzeria like on Nieuw Amsterdam by jan 2 2012 :confused:

Thank you very much please give as much info as u can regarding Maasdam we had sailed on Noordam 2 times before and on Nieuw Amsterdam just few weeks ago and loved the ships , but read from many posted that Maasad cabins décor is very very old looking and very dated , what will change by jan 2 201 and can any one please provide the photos of similar changes( that will happened to Maasdam ) from the other ship like Statendam :confused:

Thank you in advance and hope to hear from you soon

Unfortunately I don't have pictures of the wine list from the ships, sorry. Maybe if you ask as a new post someone can help you?

we been 2 weeks ago on Niuew amsterdam u much better of by buying a wine package or cellar master wine package it was 293 $ for 2 adults with 2 wine tastigns and 1 dinner for 2 at Pinnacle Grill and 5 bottles of wine at all the restaurnats and as a bonus 1 extra bottle of wine as a gift will be left left in your cabint total 6 bottles :) that u can have served at any restaurant on ship for lunch or dinner without any extra cork fees---- much better deal and great selections

ps take it from somebody that loves wine and knows wine :)

We are thinking of booking Maasdam S cabin category next year for January 2012 can u please tell us if the TV in the S cabins will be flat screens , right now when you look at the cabin video from hal virtual tour the cabin décor looks very dated:eek: can you tell me please if the bedspread and curtains and couch will be update for January 2012 cruise and if they will replace the very old looking TV set with the new flat screens that we had on Nieuw Amsterdam , also does Maasdam will have Slice Pizzeria like on Nieuw Amsterdam by jan 2 2012 :confused:

Thank you very much please give as much info as u can regarding Maasdam we had sailed on Noordam 2 times before and on Nieuw Amsterdam just few weeks ago and loved the ships , but read from many posted that Maasad cabins décor is very very old looking and very dated , what will change by jan 2 201 and can any one please provide the photos of similar changes( that will happened to Maasdam ) from the other ship like Statendam :confused:

Thank you in advance and hope to hear from you soon

Hey there,

Well, you're definitely right, it is a dated virtual tour and the fabrics have likely been refreshed several times (same colors/patterns but NEW) and the fleet went to flat screens a few years back, so those things have already changed.

The transformation that is part of this dry dock (Spril 2011) will change the suites as follows:

Before

520XDlxVerSuite.jpg

After

520XDlxVerSuite.jpg

The bathrooms also get a complete overhaul and are gorgeous on the ships that have already been done. I have personally been in a Category S on Rotterdam (same new decor) and loved it!

Maasdam will not specifically have Slice, but there will be pizza available near the Terrace Grill in the Lido Pool area (under the sliding dome)

If you look at the photo tours for Ryndam or Statendam they will be the closest to what Maasdam will look like after the dry dock. The main difference will be that Maasdam also gets the lanai rooms (look at Veendam or Rotterdam for more info on those)

Hope that helps!

DBA

I understand there are still major A/C problems on the Veendam. What is HAL doing about this? I am booked on the March Amazon cruise and I am very concerned about this on going problem. How can HAL send a ship to the tropics with these problems?

What kind of refunds are they giving the poor people who are unfortunate enough to get stuck in one of the cabin with out A/C and just a fan?

Please don't duck these questions many people want to know.

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

image.php?u=58214&type=sigpic&dateline=1256756457

442 days at sea

38 cruises

we been 2 weeks ago on Niuew amsterdam u much better of by buying a wine package or cellar master wine package it was 293 $ for 2 adults with 2 wine tastigns and 1 dinner for 2 at Pinnacle Grill and 5 bottles of wine at all the restaurnats and as a bonus 1 extra bottle of wine as a gift will be left left in your cabint total 6 bottles :) that u can have served at any restaurant on ship for lunch or dinner without any extra cork fees---- much better deal and great selections

ps take it from somebody that loves wine and knows wine :)

honey bunny - I've never seen the Cellar Master package (or noticed it perhaps). do you have to wait until you are onboard to order it? do the mariner discounts apply? just wondering as this sounds quite good.

thanks

honey bunny - I've never seen the Cellar Master package (or noticed it perhaps). do you have to wait until you are onboard to order it? do the mariner discounts apply? just wondering as this sounds quite good.

thanks

From the HAL website...you can pre-order once you have booked a cruise and have a confirmation number...

Cellar Master Package, Single, 7-10 Days

A premium wine tasting experience is available throughout the length of your cruise with the Cellar Master Package. Two wine tasting events conducted by our Cellar Master, two evenings of fine dining in the Pinnacle Grill, five vintage bottles based on the wine navigators' preference, a Holland America Line commemorative bottle and wine gift are included for on board enjoyment. Pricing based on single guest, 7-10 day voyages. A 15% service charge is included in the price of the item. You must be 21 years of age or older to order and receive alcoholic beverages.

$244.00 for one person / $293 for a couple

More expensive on longer cruises...

Hey DBA...do you know if they have any plans this year to "spruce up" the Zaandam? It's looking a little long in the tooth from what I can see on the Corp website pcitures etc.

Also do you know how the Office goes about upgrades and or there proceedures on giving them out?

I am completely new to HAL and have over 100+ cruises on Princess and RCCL bnd I am very familiar with there policies about upgrades etc but a newbie to HAL.

any info would be appreciated....

Thanks

DBA

I understand there are still major A/C problems on the Veendam. What is HAL doing about this? I am booked on the March Amazon cruise and I am very concerned about this on going problem. How can HAL send a ship to the tropics with these problems?

What kind of refunds are they giving the poor people who are unfortunate enough to get stuck in one of the cabin with out A/C and just a fan?

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

442 days at sea

38 cruises

Hi Dennis,

With what I do for HAL I actually don't have the answers you seek unfortunately. Sorry I can't be of more help regarding your inquiry.

Hey DBA...do you know if they have any plans this year to "spruce up" the Zaandam? It's looking a little long in the tooth from what I can see on the Corp website pcitures etc.

Also do you know how the Office goes about upgrades and or there proceedures on giving them out?

I am completely new to HAL and have over 100+ cruises on Princess and RCCL bnd I am very familiar with there policies about upgrades etc but a newbie to HAL.

any info would be appreciated....

Thanks

H there, welcome to HAL!

All of our ships go into dry dock every 2-3 years and Zaandam's most recent dry dock was in January of 2010. Not sure when the pictures on the website were taken but recarpeting, reupholstery, etc is done routinely through the cruises where needed and on a much larger scale in dry dock when we are 1400 guests lighter ;)

As for upgrades, there is an automated system that assigns these as long as you have not said "I don't want an upgrade" (we ask the question at time of booking "Would you be interested in a complimentary upgrade if one were available?" Some say no if it's a wheelchair accessible room or they want to be next to friends, many say yes. There's never a promise of an upgrade, but you're "in the running" if you don't answer "no")

H there, welcome to HAL!

All of our ships go into dry dock every 2-3 years and Zaandam's most recent dry dock was in January of 2010. Not sure when the pictures on the website were taken but recarpeting, reupholstery, etc is done routinely through the cruises where needed and on a much larger scale in dry dock when we are 1400 guests lighter ;)

As for upgrades, there is an automated system that assigns these as long as you have not said "I don't want an upgrade" (we ask the question at time of booking "Would you be interested in a complimentary upgrade if one were available?" Some say no if it's a wheelchair accessible room or they want to be next to friends, many say yes. There's never a promise of an upgrade, but you're "in the running" if you don't answer "no")

DBA thank you for replying on both questions, I'll keep my finger and toes crossed that the "automated system" assigns us something nice!...can't believe there isn't a Live Puss in Yield Management Dept that does the berthing and all is relied on an "automated system"!;):eek:;)

Hey DBA one last question I forgot to ask you when will HAL be releasing there itineraries for Nov, Dec 2012 and Jan 2013 for Australia/Asia Pacific and South America?;)

If you know that would be great because I can't seem to find anything past Oct of 2012 and very little if that.

Thanks

From the HAL website...you can pre-order once you have booked a cruise and have a confirmation number...

Cellar Master Package, Single, 7-10 Days

A premium wine tasting experience is available throughout the length of your cruise with the Cellar Master Package. Two wine tasting events conducted by our Cellar Master, two evenings of fine dining in the Pinnacle Grill, five vintage bottles based on the wine navigators' preference, a Holland America Line commemorative bottle and wine gift are included for on board enjoyment. Pricing based on single guest, 7-10 day voyages. A 15% service charge is included in the price of the item. You must be 21 years of age or older to order and receive alcoholic beverages.

$244.00 for one person / $293 for a couple

More expensive on longer cruises...

Thank you very much. I never noticed this before :eek: I am guessing that the mariner discount doesn't apply as this is more than just a wine package. As I reflect, I think this may be what was the old Sommelier package. We're on a 20 day so I'll check the price. thanks again:):)

Please don't duck these questions...

DBA

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

442 days at sea

38 cruises

Hi Dennis,

With what I do for HAL I actually don't have the answers you seek unfortunately. Sorry I can't be of more help regarding your inquiry.

Dear Dutch,

Please..who can I contact for answers to the above questions?

Dennis

thanks

u can call ship servisces to buy it before you go we did it 3 or 4 weeks prior or order it it on hal wesite under gifts under wine gifts we had purchased the same pakage 3 times before , u get to choose 5 bottles once on board from navigator selections (good choices) and 1 gift bottle hall commedatory gift bottle will be waiting for u in the cabin on day of embarkation and u get dinner for 2 at PG and 2 invitation for 2 wine tasting one for navigator tasting and second for premium wine tastings. while on ship keep in mind due to the moovement of the ship and vibrations get the simpler less complicated adn less pricy wines that are young fresh full of flavor body and spice and need to be drunk fresh and young and enjoy them we liked from navigation pakage Errazuriz Merlot would be great with many meat steak and lamb dishes as well as few other choises form same pacakge that u can have with spicy food at tamarindlike very simple but over all good 3 Blind Moose it was very easy to enjoy with spicy rolls and dim sum

u can call ship servisces to buy it before you go we did it 3 or 4 weeks prior or order it it on hal wesite under gifts under wine gifts we had purchased the same pakage 3 times before , u get to choose 5 bottles once on board from navigator selections (good choices) and 1 gift bottle hall commedatory gift bottle will be waiting for u in the cabin on day of embarkation and u get dinner for 2 at PG and 2 invitation for 2 wine tasting one for navigator tasting and second for premium wine tastings. while on ship keep in mind due to the moovement of the ship and vibrations get the simpler less complicated adn less pricy wines that are young fresh full of flavor body and spice and need to be drunk fresh and young and enjoy them we liked from navigation pakage Errazuriz Merlot would be great with many meat steak and lamb dishes as well as few other choises form same pacakge that u can have with spicy food at tamarindlike very simple but over all good 3 Blind Moose it was very easy to enjoy with spicy rolls and dim sum

thanks very Honey bunny. I never thought about the rolling and pitching and the effect it has on the wines - what an absolutely wonderful suggestion (along with the help of course). Thanks so very, very much :):)

thanks very Honey bunny. I never thought about the rolling and pitching and the effect it has on the wines - what an absolutely wonderful suggestion (along with the help of course). Thanks so very, very much :):)

also consider what are you eating if the meal is very simple lunch or something spicy most pricy wines will just be overwhelmed and overpowered by the spices and don’t be too fast to pair sea food with whites cause now many sea food has many covered spices and sauce to compliment them. go with bubbly rose or light reds, that will bring up the flavor of the spicy rolls or shrimps and pay nicely with your dish , but if u are dining at PG and would like a nice steak I know for a fact that most hall ships carry one of my very favorite producer Socol blosser pinot noir it is full body well balance hits of black berry jams with dark cherry hints with tons of vanilla notes and a special treat from hal cellar to complement meat heavy dish for a special occasion dinner at Pinacle grill, other then that choices from navigator package , something simple keep in mind that wines doesn’t not do well( over long term) !!!l in traveling situations and movement and in vibrations, sometimes the higher end wines are much more delicate and need to have special care in the way they are stored (away from lights away from shaking movement and away from any change in temperature during the cellaring this can but a bit tough on cruise ship , but hey do try and do cater to many taste. , pS go with Bubbly ( almost always a good selections from Veuve Clicquot champagne or Mumm Cordon Rouge Brut Champagne or Moët&Chandon Impérial Champagne

All of them are available on board the ship for selections they are great not just with usual sea food but with other items like duck pâté and fruit salad prosciutto and mozzarella cheese( at Canaletto on antipasti tray ) , lobster , but as well it can stand up well to salty food and spicy food and crab legs and actually sweets like baked Alaska cake just some of the suggestions and they are on board Hal ships:)

Cheers!

also consider what are you eating if the meal is very simple lunch or something spicy most pricy wines will just be overwhelmed and overpowered by the spices and don’t be too fast to pair sea food with whites cause now many sea food has many covered spices and sauce to compliment them. go with bubbly rose or light reds, that will bring up the flavor of the spicy rolls or shrimps and pay nicely with your dish , but if u are dining at PG and would like a nice steak I know for a fact that most hall ships carry one of my very favorite producer Socol blosser pinot noir it is full body well balance hits of black berry jams with dark cherry hints with tons of vanilla notes and a special treat from hal cellar to complement meat heavy dish for a special occasion dinner at Pinacle grill, other then that choices from navigator package , something simple keep in mind that wines doesn’t not do well( over long term) !!!l in traveling situations and movement and in vibrations, sometimes the higher end wines are much more delicate and need to have special care in the way they are stored (away from lights away from shaking movement and away from any change in temperature during the cellaring this can but a bit tough on cruise ship , but hey do try and do cater to many taste. , pS go with Bubbly ( almost always a good selections from Veuve Clicquot champagne or Mumm Cordon Rouge Brut Champagne or Moët&Chandon Impérial Champagne

All of them are available on board the ship for selections they are great not just with usual sea food but with other items like duck pâté and fruit salad prosciutto and mozzarella cheese( at Canaletto on antipasti tray ) , lobster , but as well it can stand up well to salty food and spicy food and crab legs and actually sweets like baked Alaska cake just some of the suggestions and they are on board Hal ships:)

Cheers!

Thank you again so very much!! wow, you are a veritable expert :):)

thank you for sharing :):)

Archived