A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

Hi DBA,

We're on the Westerdam's first cruise after its Trans Atlantic. Our departure time was recently changed from 5pm to 7pm, and posters on cc have mentioned that there is a lot that happens on board, including many crew changes after a TA. Our boarding passes haven't changed. They were origninally 1pm and are still 1pm. The big question is what time should we expect to be allowed on board? We would like to be able to plan our rides to the ship, and know whether we should eat lunch before arriving at the pier. Travel Agents are giving us different advice...

If I'm not mistaken you also emailed me about this and I answered you that way :)

DBA, I know the Pinnacle Grill/Le Cirque has a cover charge and the Canaletto does not. Does the cover charge include the tip? Do the auto-tips include the staff in these restaurants? Is it customary to tip extra in either restaurant? Thanks in advance for your answer!

The charge for the alternative restaurants does not include gratuity. Beverage purchases do.

DBA, do you know if HA has any plans in the works for a cruise to Australia for the November 13, 2012 eclipse? I have seen land tours (Aussie based) starting to form for this event, but I think a cruise would be the :cool: way to go.

TIA,

Indigo

Nothing that I've heard yet (nothing is out yet that far into 2012... I think just the Grand World Voyage maybe?)

Keep an eye open though, I think that would be something great to offer!

we booked plane post cruise (Nieuw Amsterdam) in FLL, upond return we are flying out of Miami airport i had hear many different variations for taxi fare anywhere from 80 to 100 is that correct:confused:, i checked with ship tours post cruise we can not do them since our flight departs at 2 :30 pm from Miami so it leaves us only with a taxi we are a family of 4 , any info or suggestions please ? and i checked with ship transfer they are 30 $ per person for a family of 4 it is 120 $$$$ :eek: is a cab is our only option ?

There's a commuter-style train (that's what I refer to them as at least) called tri-rail that will take you (I believe) right from the Miami airport to Ft. Lauderdale airport. Then you just need to get from the airport to pier in FLL. Cost? $5/ea

The charge for the alternative restaurants does not include gratuity. Beverage purchases do.

DBW, I disagree with your statement that the charge for the alternative restaurants does not include the gratuity! In my view, HAL staff in the alternative restaurants are INCLUDED in the tip pool! Please indicate the specific HAL policy that clearly states "the charge for the alternative restaurants does not include gratuity"!

DBW, I disagree with your statement that the charge for the alternative restaurants does not include the gratuity! In my view, HAL staff in the alternative restaurants are INCLUDED in the tip pool! Please indicate the specific HAL policy that clearly states "the charge for the alternative restaurants does not include gratuity"!

I agree and am surprised myself at that observation.

It is still possible to add an additional gratuity if you wish (as I understand it).

Smooth sailing...

DBW, I disagree with your statement that the charge for the alternative restaurants does not include the gratuity! In my view, HAL staff in the alternative restaurants are INCLUDED in the tip pool!

And since the charge for the "alternative restaurants" is not the "tip pool", DBA is correct in his statement. You are only correct in your final sentence.

The charge for the alternative restaurant does not include gratuity; the hotel service charge does.

Just found out that a family member will pick us up after our cruise Niew Amsterdam debarkation at cruise port at FLL she to bring us to the Miami international , so that will be great savings $$ for us:), but where is the place for relatives to pick us up by car:confused: is it at the same place as the taxi are waiting for debarking passengers ? is there a specific area that our relative can wait for us in their car ?

I agree and am surprised myself at that observation.

It is still possible to add an additional gratuity if you wish (as I understand it).

Smooth sailing...

That's actually more along the lines of what I meant (I'm puzzled at how it required huge bold-faced font and the thumbs down symbol though but this isn't the first time that user has tried to start a fight)

I believe there is a portion of the $20/pp that may go toward a tip for the PG staff (I'm not familiar with all aspects of the Marine Hotel Operations accounting processes as I'm not in that department of the home office)... but the PG staff are NPOT included in the Hotgel Service Charge in any way. Basically look at it this way.

Is tipping in the PG required? No

Is it appreciated? Certainly

Just found out that a family member will pick us up after our cruise Niew Amsterdam debarkation at cruise port at FLL she to bring us to the Miami international , so that will be great savings $$ for us:), but where is the place for relatives to pick us up by car:confused: is it at the same place as the taxi are waiting for debarking passengers ? is there a specific area that our relative can wait for us in their car ?

Unfortunately I'm not yet familiar with the FLL pier and the whole layout but I would imagine signs are plentiful.

Sorry I can't help more in that regard!

I took a taxi to the airport from the FLL terminal after my Prinsendam cruise. My roommate was picked up by a family member. There was a bench there, and the area was labelled as passenger pick-up. As you faced the street, the taxis were to the right of the personal pick-up area. I don't know if there were any rules about how long someone could wait in a car there, or if they would be moved along after a while.

I would suggest that if you both have cell phones, she should find someplace to park well away from the terminal building and wait until you can get all your baggage out to the curb and call her. It's very congested when the bulk of people are coming out, and they don't need/want people parked there for a long time.

That's actually more along the lines of what I meant (I'm puzzled at how it required huge bold-faced font and the thumbs down symbol though but this isn't the first time that user has tried to start a fight)

I believe there is a portion of the $20/pp that may go toward a tip for the PG staff (I'm not familiar with all aspects of the Marine Hotel Operations accounting processes as I'm not in that department of the home office)... but the PG staff are NPOT included in the Hotgel Service Charge in any way. Basically look at it this way.

Is tipping in the PG required? No

Is it appreciated? Certainly

Is that a typo or is the GRATUITY now $20/pp =per person?:o

• 2 weeks later...
Any requests for pictures for my upcoming Eurodam sailing in December?

Of course we'd like to see them! I'd be curious to compare the cabin and main dining room layouts, compared with the Rotterdam after drydock layout. For some reason, I've been in the Rotterdam/Volendam/Statendam rotation for a few years... just because of destinations I choose. ( I am going on the Maasdam this winter to break the cycle.) I'd like to live your life right now...(ok, maybe not, as I don't want to work:D)

• 2 weeks later...

Wondering if you can find out any info on this: why does HAL continue to print the thousands (tens of thousands?) of pictures the professional photographers take on a cruise instead of switching to digital and printing only the ones we choose (and pay for)? Are there any plans for a change?

It seems to me there is a huge cost in printing all those pix, a cost that must be passed on to the pax buying pix, thus running the cost up (to $20-40 each!). There's also the waste of destroying most of the un-bought pix - not environmentally friendly, IMHO,

Any requests for pictures for my upcoming Eurodam sailing in December?

absolutely, please. curious to see if the dining room is the same as the Nieuw Amsterdam. any highlights that you are think are worthy would be of benefit, i am sure

Of course we'd like to see them! I'd be curious to compare the cabin and main dining room layouts, compared with the Rotterdam after drydock layout. For some reason, I've been in the Rotterdam/Volendam/Statendam rotation for a few years... just because of destinations I choose. ( I am going on the Maasdam this winter to break the cycle.) I'd like to live your life right now...(ok, maybe not, as I don't want to work:D)

You got it. I plan on several of each public room. I'll also be able to get a VERY intimate look at the penthouse

Wondering if you can find out any info on this: why does HAL continue to print the thousands (tens of thousands?) of pictures the professional photographers take on a cruise instead of switching to digital and printing only the ones we choose (and pay for)? Are there any plans for a change?

It seems to me there is a huge cost in printing all those pix, a cost that must be passed on to the pax buying pix, thus running the cost up (to $20-40 each!). There's also the waste of destroying most of the un-bought pix - not environmentally friendly, IMHO,

This comment has been shared with the appropriate senior management for their information and benefit. Appreciate your time to share a way we can tighten our environmental policies even further.

Archived