A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

Dear "kjw869"

I have a question about your statement on post nr. 388. => Can they add the Canaletto during normal cruising days – because I do not see a foreseen dry-dock under :

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/DestinationCalendar.action

Or "Dutch by Association" on post nr. 392 mention, that it should be installed while on dry-dock = if yes, when is MS Noordam next dry-dock ??

This is particularly interesting for me, because I will be on here very soon.....

Happy cruising

Gerd

Our marvelous cruises :

MS Ryndam – Wayfarer – March 1997

MS Noordam - Transatlantic Island Hook - April 2001

MS Volendam - Southern Caribbean - April 2002

MS Volendam - Westfarer Caribbean - April 2004

MS Prinsendam - Windmills & Waterford – September 2004

MS Westerdam - Western Caribbean - April 2005

MS Statendam - Hawaii Circle - September 2005

MS Rotterdam - Vikings and Czars – July 2006

MS Veendam - Southern Caribbean – March 2007

MS Volendam – Panama Canal – April 2008

116 days - 33'054 Nm

Future Cruise :

1a9e527468f45e24344692102efb55de.png

And already in our pipeline :

ac3818e1c6f0a0d624d514eb053ecbdd.png

Dear "kjw869"

I have a question about your statement on post nr. 388. => Can they add the Canaletto during normal cruising days – because I do not see a foreseen dry-dock under :

Or "Dutch by Association" on post nr. 392 mention, that it should be installed while on dry-dock = if yes, when is MS Noordam next dry-dock ??

The Noordam just had a dry-dock in the first half of last month and I'm pretty sure a Canaletto was added then. (It's off-chart to the left of the current Calendar.)

Hello "jtl513"

thanks for your information, but even on its HAL own MS Noordam block, they completely do not talk about the dry-dock….???:confused:

But I see a hole between March 22 and April 16, that’s where it took place I guess.

Happy cruising

Gerd

Some "Screening Room"! All of 36 seats on the Eurodam, on one level, so that one can watch the movies looking through (or around) someone's head! Reminds me of watching movies in the "Wajang Theatre" Plus, many folding chairs were carried into the back of the "Screening Room" on the Eurodam to accommodate all the people in the room! Must have been comfortable seating for them through the movie!!!

Well, I am short, so guess I'll have to bring a pillow or two in order to see the film.

Dear "kjw869"

Gerd, I did not make a "statement"--"Can they add the Canaletto during normal cruising days". I only copied the info regarding the Canaletto from HAL's website. I'm not sure what you are seeing as I only replied to someone who asked what the Canaletto was.

Again, here is the paste from HAL's Website:

Canaletto Restaurant

Named for the famous 18th-century Venetian artist, the award winning Canaletto Restaurant, adjacent to the Lido Restaurant dining area, serves classic Italian fare with tableside service for dinners only. Deputing on Holland America Line's first Signature-class ship, ms Eurodam, this popular restaurant is now being added to the following ships:

• ms Oosterdam – Apr 2009
  • ms Veendam – Apr. 2009
  • ms Amsterdam – May 2009
  • ms Noordam – May 2009
  • ms Rotterdam – Dec. 2009
  • ms Ryndam – Feb. 2010
  • ms Statendam – Apr. 2010

Ken

Hello "kjw869"

please accept that not all CC posters here are native English writer with a full skill of feeling for this language – which is the case for my part.

Look for "jtl513" John did just correctly interpret my concern…….

Next time maybe you look on the right side of my post – the "location", there is marked France, which is also not a native English country.

Happy cruising

Gerd

Hi Dutch--enjoy yr blog and appreciate you answering our questions.

We took a great cruise from Hong Kong a couple of yrs ago--it went via China, Japan, Korea etc around to the Aleutians and eventually Vancouver. We wanted to take it again in April/May 2010 but I don't see that is is going. Is this so? It works perfectly with a week in HK before the cruise..

Thank you.

Wendy

Hi Dutch--enjoy yr blog and appreciate you answering our questions.

We took a great cruise from Hong Kong a couple of yrs ago--it went via China, Japan, Korea etc around to the Aleutians and eventually Vancouver. We wanted to take it again in April/May 2010 but I don't see that is is going. Is this so? It works perfectly with a week in HK before the cruise..

Thank you.

Wendy

Hi Wendy,

It actually appears that the trans-pacific cruise in spring 2010 is a 25 day that starts in Sydney, goes throughout the south Pacific and Hawaii and ends in Vancouver. A bit of a change of pace.

See attached image (I hope it works) or try this link:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?webItineraryIdForAudit=PS0025&durationCode=4&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&portCode=&shipCodeSearch=VO&flexibleMonths=false&pageNumber=1&voyageCode=V023&destCode=&dateCode=4_2010

PS0025.jpg.e071d891b5ae0ee27a41c0daf0ebe3f8.jpg

Well, I am short, so guess I'll have to bring a pillow or two in order to see the film.

And arrive one hour early to secure a seat in the front row of the "Screening Room" so that you will be able to watch the movie(s) without looking through or around someone's head! Reminds me of the Wajang Theater!

Hi Dutch - do know an exact date that the Nieuw Amsterdam European sailings will be released? Some of the itineraries are listed in the new Mariner magazine and would like to book as the June/July 2010 options are very limited due to the other ship charters.

Hi dutch, i was wondering if you could help me. I am a vip on carnival, and have seen on both carnival and holland american sites where the vip bridges to all family lines under the carnival brand. However when i called hal i was told there is no bridging, and no benifits. I am confused, because the currents magazine says there are hal benefits, the hal site says there are benefits, but the mariner rep. So rudely told me there were no benefits. I'm not looking for the world, but carnival does free laundry for it's vip's, and we are thinking about a 12 day europe cruise, and it would be nice. Thanks for any info you can give me.

And arrive one hour early to secure a seat in the front row of the "Screening Room" so that you will be able to watch the movie(s) without looking through or around someone's head! Reminds me of the Wajang Theater!

So HAL has it's faults too huh?

Hi Dutch - do know an exact date that the Nieuw Amsterdam European sailings will be released? Some of the itineraries are listed in the new Mariner magazine and would like to book as the June/July 2010 options are very limited due to the other ship charters.

I don't have those details yet, but I love the itineraries I'm seeing for her.

Call reservations (877-724-5425) or your TA and ask to set up a Future Cruise Request. There's a very minimal deposit required and they can fill you in on all the details!

Hi dutch, i was wondering if you could help me. I am a vip on carnival, and have seen on both carnival and holland american sites where the vip bridges to all family lines under the carnival brand. However when i called hal i was told there is no bridging, and no benifits. I am confused, because the currents magazine says there are hal benefits, the hal site says there are benefits, but the mariner rep. So rudely told me there were no benefits. I'm not looking for the world, but carnival does free laundry for it's vip's, and we are thinking about a 12 day europe cruise, and it would be nice. Thanks for any info you can give me.

Hi there, I think I see where the confusion is, so let's give it a shot.

By having sailed with ANY of the sister lines - Carnival, Princess, Seabourn, Cunard or Costa - you are entitled to the past guest fares offered on most sailings.

Specific perks based on your loyalty level with the other lines however, is not interchangable. Example: If I have a status with Cruise Brand #1 that gives me free champagne and free laundry and free internet, Cruise Brand #2 would only offer me those same benefits if I have a loyalty level with them and they have a program that would offer the same amenities.

Cruising 100 times with Carnival, and booking your first HAL, or vice versa, or insert any of the other sister lines into this example, means that you have only sailed with the line you are booking... Once.

Apologies that it appears you experienced confusion with that. I hope I managed to make some sense :)

I have a question about unlimited laundry: there are six of traveling together in three rooms. If one of the rooms decided to get the unlimited laundry package and all three rooms contributed their laundry, would that be allowed, or would laundry get suspicious? Say, if they were delivering men's clothing to an all-female room?

I have a question about unlimited laundry: there are six of traveling together in three rooms. If one of the rooms decided to get the unlimited laundry package and all three rooms contributed their laundry, would that be allowed, or would laundry get suspicious? Say, if they were delivering men's clothing to an all-female room?

I'd surely be suspicious. How about three packages, or some people using the laundry rooms (you meet the nicest people there). Nancy

Hi Dutch

i've been reading on a different thread about HAL doing a 'Chefs Table' on the Westerdam, but maybe considering rolling it out on other ships. Have you heard anything about this as we would love to do this on our forthcoming clear.gif Oosterdamcruise in August.

thanks

Kids at home cruisers

I beleive the fee for unlimited laundry is per cabin ... otherwise, 3 or 10 or 15 or whatever number of cabins might try to share one fee. It doesn't matter if anyone gets suspicious ... just do the right thing!

Hi, we have just booked a cruise on the Eurodam for February of 2010 going to the E. Caribbean. Our only cruise was on NCL Pearl and as much as we had a great time it wasn't a fit for us. We actually came back and decided that cruising just wasn't for us.

Then we decided to do another vacation with my brother and SIL and I realized that maybe it wasn't that we didn't love cruising, maybe we just needed to try another line.

The Pearl just didn't feel like a ship to me, it felt more like a hotel. We just don't use things like bowling alleys, rock climbing walls, etc and I was looking for a ship that put more emphasis on the food, relaxation, elegance. Not that I don't get the appeal of the bigger ships with these ameneties, it just isn't what I'm looking for on a vacation.

So, we decided to try HAL as I loved the things I've read about it. I love that it sounds like I imagine a true cruiseship to be. I love that when I read people's questions on here they sound like people I want to be around and yet there's a diversity there. I hope HAL will be a fit as I'd love to find a cruiseline that we want to sail with over and over. I'm curious if other people have tried HAL and ended up saying "now that's what I'm talking about". Thanks for listening-Janice

Are the Mediterranean menus different from the Caribbean menus on Holland America ships? Also, do all ships have the same menu? We are traveling on the Noordam in the Mediterranean in June and would love to see a nightly menu for the dining room.

Thanks!:o

I've been reading your blog, thank you for all the information that you share with us CC members. I was wondering if you know if the counselors in the kids club have been through a background check. I was planning on using the babysitting in cabins also and some members of the CC were telling me that's not safe.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

Hi Dutch can you please explain to me the benefit of SS cabin on NOORDAM what does a phone concierge do for SS cabins:confused: ? can phone concierge arrange reservation at pinnacle grill and Canaletto restaurants and can they arrange tours excursions ? hoping for your reply:)

Janiceah:

I have not been on the Eurodam, so I can't say anything with respect to it, but insofar as your question refers to HAL generally, I can.

A couple of years ago, I posted a question on the board of another cruise line, which was approximately, "I'm dissatisfied with mass market lines, but I can't afford luxury ones; why can't there be a cruise line that charges 15% to 25% more and provides a superior but not a luxury experience?" Then I found that there was and it didn't even charge 15% to 25% more. I've been happy ever since.

In my experience I've found a somewhat different kind of passenger on the HAL ships than on the larger mass market ones and I don't think it's an socioeconomic difference. I theorize that the kind of folks I like, reasonably reserved, but interesting folk, prefer HAL, so most of them end up there together. There are some exceptions, but, in my experience, far less than on other lines.

If someone asked me where they could find food, relaxation and elegance on a true cruise ship, I'd recommend HAL. (I prefer smaller ships than the Eurodam, but I guess there's a 50-50 chance you'll like it better.)

I suggest you follow this board as much as you can between now and next February, so you can learn the tricks necessary to outwit the officers on the Eurodam. I wouldn't try to outwit the dining room and cabin stewards; the competition for cruise ship jobs in their country must be intense, because most of them seem to be smarter than many of the passengers. Fortunately, they don't try to outwit us, just make us happy.

Archived