A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

Also the Destination Calendar shows the Zaandam "under construction" in Sep, but the "cruise finder" shows sailings on 9/4, 11, 18, and 25. Either the Calendar is wrong, or these are "construction-during-service" times! :D

However. the Zaandam does seem to be out of service for 15 days in Jan 2010.

The Zaandam had better not be "under construction" in early October either. We're on the Zaandam for a 19-day cruise to Hawaii beginning on October 4!

Blue skies ...

--rita

(Would be nice if HAL updated their website!)

Thanks again!

Sandy

There are so many other ways to get the information on the website that I think sometimes that little color-coded calendar gets forgotten.

All of the reservations agents have access to a dry dock list though, and I actually have one posted at my desk over in my little corner of the building. I get specifics when I can, but I can always provide the dates, even if not the specifics.

There are so many other ways to get the information on the website that I think sometimes that little color-coded calendar gets forgotten.

All of the reservations agents have access to a dry dock list though, and I actually have one posted at my desk over in my little corner of the building. I get specifics when I can, but I can always provide the dates, even if not the specifics.

Hey Dutch, do you know/or can you find out if HAL uses any dry-docks (not counting emergencies) other than the Esquimalt Drydock Co., Victoria, BC (North American west coast), the Grand Bahama Shipyard, Freeport (North American east coast) and the Fincantieri docks in Palermo, Sicily (Europe/Med)?

Dutch: You raised an interesting scenario when you said the drydock schedule was subject to change. What if...the Prinsendam renovation was postponed/cancelled. Would those of us who have been bumped from the proposed revamp area regain our originally booked cabins?? One would certainly hope so (although I am not holding my breath that the changes will not take place)!!!

DBA: Do you know what the Oosterdam's Vista show times are? Also the times of the movie showings? We are planning to go on the Oosterdam to Alaska next summer and I'm trying to decide if we should put in for open or fixed dining. There will be about 30 of us and I'm afraid open dining will be total confusion - within our group.

Thanks for your help. This is a great thread!

Gigi

Hey Dutch, do you know/or can you find out if HAL uses any dry-docks (not counting emergencies) other than the Esquimalt Drydock Co., Victoria, BC (North American west coast), the Grand Bahama Shipyard, Freeport (North American east coast) and the Fincantieri docks in Palermo, Sicily (Europe/Med)?

Zaandam's next will be in San Francisco...

All of the SOE 2.0 is being done at Freeport and Palermo had all of the Vista aft reconfigures.

Dutch: You raised an interesting scenario when you said the drydock schedule was subject to change. What if...the Prinsendam renovation was postponed/cancelled. Would those of us who have been bumped from the proposed revamp area regain our originally booked cabins?? One would certainly hope so (although I am not holding my breath that the changes will not take place)!!!

As it was approved and PR put a release out, I would say the only thing that could really stop this would be a major act of god with regard to the shipyard

DBA: Do you know what the Oosterdam's Vista show times are? Also the times of the movie showings? We are planning to go on the Oosterdam to Alaska next summer and I'm trying to decide if we should put in for open or fixed dining. There will be about 30 of us and I'm afraid open dining will be total confusion - within our group.

Thanks for your help. This is a great thread!

Gigi

Ship services can give you the specifics. Make sure you send a group dining request also. For a group of 30, that is VITAL.

Is the MC dinner still a go on most HAL ships? We are booked on our

3rd HAL cruise 10/30/09 - San Diego to Ft Lauderdale - roundtrip for

the full 28 days on Statendam. Is this something we will see?

Somehow, we have missed it on our last two cruises and I read nothing

but complaints from passengers that have had to sit thru not only the

show, but the food offerings for that evening. Just wondered -- since

maybe we should book PG for that evening.

Cindy

Is the MC dinner still a go on most HAL ships? We are booked on our

3rd HAL cruise 10/30/09 - San Diego to Ft Lauderdale - roundtrip for

the full 28 days on Statendam. Is this something we will see?

Somehow, we have missed it on our last two cruises and I read nothing

but complaints from passengers that have had to sit thru not only the

show, but the food offerings for that evening. Just wondered -- since

maybe we should book PG for that evening.

Cindy

I get conflicting news on the Vista Class, but I believe it is going on all the S and R class (No clue on Prinsendam)

Best thing to do is ask onboard at the Front Office or with a Dining Room manager and they can likely tell you the specific day it will take place on if you choose to make PG reservations that evening

Thanks DutchbyAssociation for all your advise and sharing with us all your wealth of knowledge and information.

I had booked a HH Guarantee cabin and have just been allocated a category E on the Amsterdam. A nice upgrade - I think. Thanks.

However, I have a few questions:

Can you please let me know how the category E is better than the HH. What's confusing me is that the HH cabin is on a higher deck, it has a bath and shower and is mid ship or more towards the stern than the bow. The category E cabin we have been allocated is on a lower deck than the HH cabins, is almost right towards the bow (which means waking up to the sound of the anchor dropping each time we come into port), the cabin has a shower only (no bath), and I am assuming the shower is the usual real tight fit shower on a cruise ship. The only positive I see with this, is that there is no obstructed view. Having said this, we were on the Zuiderdam to Alaska last year and while I am not 100% sure of the cabin category (it may have been an HH), our fully obstructed view cabin, infact had floor to ceiling french doors which although did not open, allowed for a very decent view. I know its not fair to judge without actually seeing the cabin, but to be honest assuming the cabin we had on the Zuiderdam was an HH, I'd much rather have had the HH than the upgraded cat E.

Sorry, this is not a rant. Just wondering if I am missing something and coming to some judgements with some incomplete information. Just looking forward to some enlightenment here.

Many thanks.

We have stayed in an HH cabin and DID NOT get an upgrade.........You will be missing seeing a bulkhead out your window rather than the ocean! Also, your E cabin at the bow will hear the thrusters in port and the anchor when tendered in the bay...........but would you rather see that bulkhead? I think not so thank HAL for the upgrade and enjoy!

DBA: HAL should reward you handsomely for this great unofficial service that so many of us loyal cruisers greatly appreciate.........It is not often that so much information is available in one spot with news that is valuable even for veteran cruisers.

Can you tell me if the Captain on the Maasdam for our cruise in October (23rd) is still Henk Draper? This would be our third cruise with him if he is still onboard.

Thank you

Can you please let me know how the category E is better than the HH.

I know its not fair to judge without actually seeing the cabin, but to be honest assuming the cabin we had on the Zuiderdam was an HH, I'd much rather have had the HH than the upgraded cat E.

As skiron said, the anchors are not used when docked ... only at tender ports, of which we've only had one at most on any cruise. You could hear thrusters and mooring line winches in the morning, though.

The R & S class (e.g. Amsterdam) HHs are nothing like the HHs on the Zuiderdam. The Amsterdam HH window is about 3' x 4' - the same size as in your assigned E. The Amsterdam HH is about 2 ft shorter than the E, and only looks out on a solid wall and lots of people walking by. The main disadvantage I see to the E is the lack of ready access to the promenade.

Remember, you could have gotten a G or H, with just portholes, that are even further forward. When we guaranteed an HH on an S-class ship we got an FF which was further forward than your E. Our main noise complaint was the bow-wake roar all night long, not thrusters or winches. In the E, I don't think you'll hear the bow wake as much as we did.

If you hate the E, next time either book a specific HH and specify Do Not Upgrade, or a DD guarantee.

Or, right now, see if you can buy an upgrade to a DD guarantee. You could still end up on the Main deck in a D or DA about the same distance from the bow, but there you'd be one deck closer to the Lower Promeande. Plus you'd have a chance of being assigned to a DD or better on the L.P.

Thanks so much for all your insight, DBA. I have been curious since booking last Feb. as to why #'s 6106, 6108, 6101 and 6103 are so much cheaper (about $400-500 PP) than the seemingly identical other bal. cabins. It looks like they are above the theatre and below the Off. qtrs., and wondered if we can look forward to be awakened by bingo at 7 am or wild officer sex parties:rolleyes: We'll be in 6108 Aug.28 and are really looking forward to our 1st HAL exper. steve

Archived