any Georgia Cruisers?

momofmeg

I still work in Phenix City (yes, that is the way they misspell it:rolleyes:).

Even though it is technically not right...they still go off of Georgia time....strange.

You know, my spell check "corrected" me. LOL!

Oh well-Martinez, Ga is pronounced Martin (as we pronounce Martin in English)-nez instead of Mar-ti--nes, as it is correctly pronounced in Spanish.

Oh well-Martinez, Ga is pronounced Martin (as we pronounce Martin in English)-nez instead of Mar-ti--nes, as it is correctly pronounced in Spanish. [momofmeg]

And as a former resident, try saying Awe-gusta instead of Uh-gusta to someone born and raised in the city slightly to the south :eek:

Steve [who still visits every year for the Masters:D]

Oh well-Martinez, Ga is pronounced Martin (as we pronounce Martin in English)-nez instead of Mar-ti--nes, as it is correctly pronounced in Spanish. [momofmeg]

And as a former resident, try saying Awe-gusta instead of Uh-gusta to someone born and raised in the city slightly to the south :eek:

Steve [who still visits every year for the Masters:D]

My birth certificate says Augusta, but I was born at Fort Gordon-but I have always said "Uh-gusta," short "a". I lived there for 25 years or so of my life.

My birth certificate says Augusta, but I was born at Fort Gordon-but I have always said "Uh-gusta," short "a". I lived there for 25 years or so of my life.

I understand totally!! Spent 17 years there myself working for one of the golf cart companies before moving closer to Atlanta. Really nice city and BTW that's where the rib and I plan to retire. Maybe further out, like Grovetown or Hepzibah.

Steve

I understand totally!! Spent 17 years there myself working for one of the golf cart companies before moving closer to Atlanta. Really nice city and BTW that's where the rib and I plan to retire. Maybe further out, like Grovetown or Hepzibah.

Steve

My brother lives in Hepzibah. One of my sisters lives in Grovetown. I liked Augusta. It was nice, a small city. Plenty of restaurants, entertainment, but not the heavy congested traffic. It was much nicer, and the cost of living was considerably lower than living in a suburb of Atlanta.

What do you think of Roy Barnes saying Georgia should secede from the Union? I could not believe that, you think he got that idea from California? I find all of this ridiculous. Because the country is bankrupt, states are going to form their own countries?

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I are definitely addicted! Took our first cruise several years ago and we were not impressed. We did not realize that everything was free so we didn't take advantage of all the amenities! I don't know if Cruise Critics even existed then but if it did, we did not know about it so we were bascally cruise ignorant! We are looking forward to Platinum status in a three more cruises after our July cruise.

Our kids and grandkids are now also addicted. It is a great family trip because everyone can do what they enjoy doing without having to feel obligated to go along with the crowd. We just always have dinner together in the evenings if we have gone our separate ways all day.

We have tried all room categories except Suite. Just can't justify the extra money. We had a balcony room on our last Liberty cruise and loved having our coffee and sweet rolls there in the mornings. Since money is so tight this year, I booked an inside cabin so that we could take two of our Grandsons with us. Our daughter and her two are across the hall in an ocean view cabin.

Just wondering how you feel: Is the cabin type important to you when you cruise?

DH and I are taking our kids on their first cruise for Spring Break next year. It'll have been 5 years since DH and I were on our last cruise and I'm itching to get back on a ship. Can't wait to see what the kids think and if they will become as addicted as I am!:D

DH and I are taking our kids on their first cruise for Spring Break next year. It'll have been 5 years since DH and I were on our last cruise and I'm itching to get back on a ship. Can't wait to see what the kids think and if they will become as addicted as I am!:D

Right now as I type I am in Covington visitng my MIL, so I guess I am about 10 miles away.

We live in Douglasville.

My husband and I are definitely addicted! Took our first cruise several years ago and we were not impressed. We did not realize that everything was free so we didn't take advantage of all the amenities! I don't know if Cruise Critics even existed then but if it did, we did not know about it so we were bascally cruise ignorant! We are looking forward to Platinum status in a three more cruises after our July cruise.

Our kids and grandkids are now also addicted. It is a great family trip because everyone can do what they enjoy doing without having to feel obligated to go along with the crowd. We just always have dinner together in the evenings if we have gone our separate ways all day.

We have tried all room categories except Suite. Just can't justify the extra money. We had a balcony room on our last Liberty cruise and loved having our coffee and sweet rolls there in the mornings. Since money is so tight this year, I booked an inside cabin so that we could take two of our Grandsons with us. Our daughter and her two are across the hall in an ocean view cabin.

Just wondering how you feel: Is the cabin type important to you when you cruise?

I love balconies too but I will cruise in an inside also. If I cruise in an inside, I spend more time on the lido or the promenade deck. I love the morning coffee on the balcony thing also-but if I don't' have a balcony-I get a seat in the lido restaurant by the window and drink my coffee. Of course the bad thing about that, is I can't drink coffee in my jammies!

I love balconies too but I will cruise in an inside also. If I cruise in an inside, I spend more time on the lido or the promenade deck. I love the morning coffee on the balcony thing also-but if I don't' have a balcony-I get a seat in the lido restaurant by the window and drink my coffee. Of course the bad thing about that, is I can't drink coffee in my jammies!

Just to drink coffee in the morning! DH and I started this on our first cruise - we had a balcony and we would order coffee from room service and drink it on our balcony while the ship cleared customs in each port. By the time we finished our coffee and got dressed, it was time to head off the ship to our excursions! I'm sooooo spoiled - I don't know that I could cruise in an inside - I probably spend a bit more time in my cabin than most people and I love being able to go read on my balcony. Yes I admit - I'm a balcony snob!:D

Just to drink coffee in the morning! DH and I started this on our first cruise - we had a balcony and we would order coffee from room service and drink it on our balcony while the ship cleared customs in each port. By the time we finished our coffee and got dressed, it was time to head off the ship to our excursions! I'm sooooo spoiled - I don't know that I could cruise in an inside - I probably spend a bit more time in my cabin than most people and I love being able to go read on my balcony. Yes I admit - I'm a balcony snob!:D

Oh I am too! but if it means I can't afford to go-I would go in an inside. I know it is usually about $250-300 a person more to do a balcony over an inside- I could see $500-600 could can make the difference in going or not going.

Now us, we go off season when it is cheaper. Also my hubby is a moderate drinker of alcohol and I drink even less than him. So normally we can afford to put the difference into a balcony instead of an inside.

However, our daughter works in the school system--no off season deals if we go with her- then sometimes the balcony is too steep. We try to go with her every other year.

Oh I am too! but if it means I can't afford to go-I would go in an inside. I know it is usually about $250-300 a person more to do a balcony over an inside- I could see $500-600 could can make the difference in going or not going.

Now us, we go off season when it is cheaper. Also my hubby is a moderate drinker of alcohol and I drink even less than him. So normally we can afford to put the difference into a balcony instead of an inside.

However, our daughter works in the school system--no off season deals if we go with her- then sometimes the balcony is too steep. We try to go with her every other year.

I can understand that! Our April cruise is during Spring Break because of the kids. They wanted to go on a cruise, so we have to go on their schedule and I'd rather go in April and not have to worry very little about hurricanes than go during the summer and have to keep my fingers crossed that none pop up (did that on our second cruise! - before I knew about trip insurance). We don't usually spend this much on vacations unless there is a special reason (except for the first 2 cruises but those were before kids and I wish we'd done more!) - last time it was our 20th anniversary, this time is our 25th! The kids also want to see Hawaii, so maybe that will be the next one and we'll do that in the summer so we can sail from LA rather than sail on NCL (I don't like what I've read about their ships that sail in HI - too old and worn looking) - besides it's more time on the water!!. Although the NCL cruises are more port intensive - awwww who knows!?!?!? I'm sure I'll have that debate with myself for a while!:):eek: (isn't that one of the first signs of insanity???:D:eek:)

I can understand that! Our April cruise is during Spring Break because of the kids. They wanted to go on a cruise, so we have to go on their schedule and I'd rather go in April and not have to worry very little about hurricanes than go during the summer and have to keep my fingers crossed that none pop up (did that on our second cruise! - before I knew about trip insurance). We don't usually spend this much on vacations unless there is a special reason (except for the first 2 cruises but those were before kids and I wish we'd done more!) - last time it was our 20th anniversary, this time is our 25th! The kids also want to see Hawaii, so maybe that will be the next one and we'll do that in the summer so we can sail from LA rather than sail on NCL (I don't like what I've read about their ships that sail in HI - too old and worn looking) - besides it's more time on the water!!. Although the NCL cruises are more port intensive - awwww who knows!?!?!? I'm sure I'll have that debate with myself for a while!:):eek: (isn't that one of the first signs of insanity???:D:eek:)

Usually summer is higher priced than April too-besides it being so hot. It is hot enough where we live in the summer-if I take a summer cruise it will be Alaska or Canada/New England, NOT the Caribbean.

I think you are smart to pick April.

One good thing about taking the kids, next cruise you can go the two of you with no guilt!

We are taking our daughter to France this summer. Then in January we will do a partial 10 day Panama canal just hubby and I-then in Dec. 2010 we will do a short 4 day cruise with our daughter.

My daughter that is going with us is an elementary school assistant principal. Since we live in North Georgia, we frequently have days that school is called off because of weather. If we have too many days off, it is taken out of the days designated for Spring Break. You never know for sure if it is safe to schedule a cruise during the Spring. If we want to cruise with our family, we just feel safer to schedule during the summer. The only time the weather has effected our plans occurred a few years ago in June. We were cruising on the Holiday out of Mobile when a hurricane was predicted to hit Mobile. It didn't but our cruise was cut short by one day. We made up for it after we returned by staying a couple of days at Orange Beach. :)

My daughter that is going with us is an elementary school assistant principal. Since we live in North Georgia, we frequently have days that school is called off because of weather. If we have too many days off, it is taken out of the days designated for Spring Break. You never know for sure if it is safe to schedule a cruise during the Spring. If we want to cruise with our family, we just feel safer to schedule during the summer. The only time the weather has effected our plans occurred a few years ago in June. We were cruising on the Holiday out of Mobile when a hurricane was predicted to hit Mobile. It didn't but our cruise was cut short by one day. We made up for it after we returned by staying a couple of days at Orange Beach. :)

That is a problem for sure. My daughter usually gets the week in February off that is around President's Day. If you book far enough in advance that week is reasonable-but we don't like to book that week, as that is a makeup week for missed school days. Christmas week is the only time they will not use for makeup days.

Usually summer is higher priced than April too-besides it being so hot. It is hot enough where we live in the summer-if I take a summer cruise it will be Alaska or Canada/New England, NOT the Caribbean.

I think you are smart to pick April.

One good thing about taking the kids, next cruise you can go the two of you with no guilt!

We are taking our daughter to France this summer. Then in January we will do a partial 10 day Panama canal just hubby and I-then in Dec. 2010 we will do a short 4 day cruise with our daughter.

I'm pretty sure the kids will want all of their future vacations to be cruises!! I showed my youngest (9) some pictures on one of the CC boards that someone took on the Adventure of the Seas and he got this look of wanderlust/cruisitis in his eyes - and he's never been on a ship - only my brothers pontoon boat! I do believe I've awakened a sleeping giant!:eek:

I do want to do a Panama Canal, Alaska and Hawaii - all things that I think the boys would love too. Not too sure about a TA yet, but do want to cruise the Mediterranean also!

I would love to book a cruise for that week in Feb as my oldest also has that week off from school. Problem is my youngest only has that Thurs & Fri off (public school for the oldest and private school for the youngest). I hate to take the kids out of school for personal things more than maybe 1 day. We'll be flying back from our cruise on Monday after so the kids will miss one day but I thought that would be better than trying to fight the other 9000 passengers at SJU on Sunday! We'll have a more leisurely walk through the airport and not have to listen to the kids whine!;)

I would love to book a cruise for that week in Feb as my oldest also has that week off from school. Problem is my youngest only has that Thurs & Fri off (public school for the oldest and private school for the youngest). I hate to take the kids out of school for personal things more than maybe 1 day. We'll be flying back from our cruise on Monday after so the kids will miss one day but I thought that would be better than trying to fight the other 9000 passengers at SJU on Sunday! We'll have a more leisurely walk through the airport and not have to listen to the kids whine!;)

Our TA was on Celebrity Constellation. It was the northern route so we only had 3 sea days between Ireland and Canada. I loved it! Great ports too. That was our 25th anniversary trip, although our anniversary was not until the following January.

For our 30th we want to do the Hawaii round trip Los Angeles. We also considered a full Panama canal transit for our 30th- I guess after we do the partial transit next year we will decide if we want to do a full transit instead. I wish we could do both. I am sure we will, eventually just not both for our 30th.

I just found this thread!! I live in Madison, Ga by way of Sand Mountain, Ala.

I have a birthday cruise planned for this Sept as well as two others following, one in Oct to Bahamas with family and the other in May to Alaska (first time to this area)

I can't wait to hear more from my fellow Georgia cruisers.

Pam

I have a birthday cruise planned for this Sept as well as two others following, one in Oct to Bahamas with family and the other in May to Alaska (first time to this area)

Pam

Great birthday present!! We don't sail again until April and I just found out today that my in-laws will be joining us! I'm so excited!! I've never done a cruise where there have actually been passengers that I'm related to (other than DH!)!!

We aren't too far from you - I'm in Conyers and my in-laws are in Oxford. I'm trying to get mom on these boards, but it probably won't happen!

Enjoy your cruise!

Pam

Pam, Madison is such a pretty little historical town. I have visited, antiquing, a time or two. Wow! I know you will love Alaska-one poster was going there this month-hopefully he will come back and tell us about how his cruise went.

The Bahamas is an okay cruise-I have been to Nassau so many times I usually stay on ship now-when we go there. I imagine what will make it fun is your doing it with family. Besides, being on a ship is more fun than the destination for me-unless it is somewhere like Alaska!

Same here, just getting aboard the ship is always so exciting and breathtaking..

I am like you in the fact that now when we go to Nassau I usually stay on the ship, in October we will probably take the girls to Atlantis since they have not been there before.

Whatever we do, I know we will enjoy it just because we are together...

Pam

Same here, just getting aboard the ship is always so exciting and breathtaking..

I am like you in the fact that now when we go to Nassau I usually stay on the ship, in October we will probably take the girls to Atlantis since they have not been there before.

Whatever we do, I know we will enjoy it just because we are together...

Pam

I think now- most cruiselines offer the water park there as an excursion now. The water park has one slide that is glassed in, where you can see sharks swimming around you as you go down. If your girls are old enough to not be afraid and realize there is no danger,they may love that.

Joe and I live in Stone Mountain. Cruising is our favorite way to travel since we only have to unpack once. We have done several land type trips which we enjoyed such as Southern Africa and Egypt.

We are looking forward to our next cruise in August.

Ciao!

Bonnie:)