Driving from LHR to Southampton

custompcsys

Hi All,

We have decided that since we are arriving a day and a half early for our cruise on the Grand in June, that renting a car and driving from Heathrow to Southampton would be fun and afford us the ability to makes stops along the way at places like Stonehenge. I've reserved a car with National and got a great deal since my company has a contract with them, so the cost including fuel will be no more than taking a Princess transfer. I have a Garmin GPS and will be purchasing the map of the UK for it when the time comes. I also made sure I reserved a decent size car with an automatic transmission so I don't have to worry about shifting with my left hand as well as staying on the left side of the road! :)

My question is - has anyone rented a car and made this drive? Am I crazy for even considering this? Keep in mind we do NOT plan on driving into London proper! :D Also, I've booked a Vauxhall Insignia 2.0. Is anyone familiar with this car and can maybe tell me a bit about it since we don't have these in the States?

Any tips, tricks, etc would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi There,

The Car is a brand new model, a family sized car, but small by US standards,

As to driving if you are used to big city driving you will be fine,

although I live in UK I would not drive around the air port

however I do not drive when in US but do drive on the islands Carib.

Route is well sign posted.

The M25 around London is very good when it works,

keep radio on to local sation and watch out for traffic jams.

Do not travel at rush hour times.

You will have a great time.

There is a very nice shopping mall in Southampton on top floor there are places to eat.

have a great time

yours Shogun

I have done this more than once but usually in the opposite direction-Southampton to LHR. A confident but cautious driver should have no problems. If you can handle the roundabouts with traffic coming towards you from the opposite direction you will be just fine. The biggest problem that I have found is turning on the windshield wipers (windscreen) when I intended to turn on a turn signal:o.

On previous trips my wife was our GPS and did very well. For our upcoming trip we have purchased a Garmin with maps of the UK-It will be interesting to see how well that works.

I am sure you will do just fine and really enjoy the freedom that having your own transport provides.:)

Hi,

Should be an easy journey from Heathrow to Southampton.

Its M25 anti clockwise until J12

then M3 until M27 signposted Southampton

Should only take just over an hour

For Stonehenge once on M3 take A303 and its a straight rd from there.

Any other info i can give please ask as i am local to the area.

We have been looking at doing a TA and since we have never been to the UK, am worried about getting lost once we arrive in Heathrow. We will go with ship transfers, so hopefully that should eliminate any worries. I think I am more worried about getting lost in the airport. :D If we can manage it, may decide to stay an extra day or two before tackling that long flight home.Any input on getting around the airport and finding your Transfer agent. Thank you.

If you are going to see Stonehenge then you should also go to Salisbury and visit Salisbury Cathedral. It is a beautiful church and has one of the 4 copies of the Magna Carta - apparently this is the best preserved copy as well. The church's spire is the tallest in England.

My wife and I drove from Dover to LGW after a Seabourn cruise. Driving in England was easy. With a good map and navigator [my wife] we had no problems as the roads are all well marked. The only problem came with e the rental company, 1 car 1 which tried to charge us 2000 pounds for a small scratch we could'nt have done; found behind the front bumper. National won't cause any problems but be sure to have a detailed map as to where the drop off point is. English car rental companies, if not located ON airport property are very hard to fine, usually on the back of small strip malls with little or no signage. Get a detailed map and get off the main roads. You will love the country side.

Hi

I dont know how tired you will be after flight but a trip to Windor should be considered. Windsor Castle should't be missed. It's only a couple of miles from LHR and the town itself is really pretty.

Thanks folks for all the replies, and to the UK folks for their local insights! At least i know I'm not totally crazy for doing this (yet! lol). Shogun was kind enough to let me know that the Vauxhall Insignia 2.0 is a family size vehicle, but if anyone in the UK has any further info on it I would be curious.

So far I have recommendations to stop at Windsor and Salisbury, and we had also planned on Stonehenge as well. On a previous trip to London I visited Bath and Winchester so I dont need to do those again this time around. We did Stonehenge as well but the tour we were on kind of rushed us through so I want to stop back and take my time this time.

Anyone with any additional thoughts please chime in! You guys have been great as usual! :)

Shogun says the M25 is good when it works.

The problem is it doesn`t!!! Everyday there are holdups.

Allow lots of time for your journey. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.:)

And to add to that even if I listened to the radio while driving for M25 traffic problems how would I even know where they are???

Hi there - just a couple of more comments really. First of all I quite agree that when the M25 is not working it can be a royal pain - but we often circuit it when it isn't rush hour and have rarely found a problem Perhaps we've been lucky but it has usually run smoothly - sometimes the 50mph overhead signs are illuminated but everyone is moving...and that's fine. Very rare we have had total hold ups - but they do happen occasionally. It is all very well signposted from Heathrow - you just head for the M25 and when you approach it you want to head towards "The South" or the M3 - do not, under any circumstances head towards "The North" - otherwise you will be visiting us in Yorkshire before you know where you are:D. You will join the M25 at either junction 15 or junction 14(depends on which way you go and which terminal you are leaving from) and you leave the M25 at junction 12 which is the M3 junction.

My other comment is that the Insignia is a brand new design just brought out by Vauxhall - it replaces the Vectra...which you may be more familiar with. It is a medium sized family car and should be fine for you. It has just come on the market so I doubt there will be much information out there for you.

Providing you aren't on the M25 at peak times then you will be fine. Hope you have a good trip and enjoy your trip to Stonehenge.

Regards,

Sue

Great links! The car looks like it will do just fine..assuming we dont get the "or similar" they always throw in on the rental reservation! :)

One last question - is it possible to do Windsor Castle, Stonehenge, and Salisbury Cathedral all in one day if we leave Heathrow around 9 a.m? From a driving distance standpoint it should be no problem, was just wondering if there would be enough time to see the three places before closing, which for Stonehenge and the Cathedral seem to be about 5:30 - 6 pm

Thanks again! :)

Despite some people's claims the M25 is a very good Motorway, it's just been a victim of it's own success. To be honest, you're far more likely to find jams on the M3 than the M25 as in places it's only a two lane highway, just avoid rush hours as per any other Motorway in the world.

One word of warning, take good notice of the overhead speed signs, they are mandatory not advisory on the M25 and there are a lot of avergae speed cameras which measure you over a distance of several miles rather than taking your speed at one instant.

The run down to Southmpton is simple and even if driven very leisurely would take you no more than ninety minutes.

The two main pieces of advice I would give to anyone from the US that's going to drive here are, (1) You cannot undertake here like you do in the US. That means that drivers of other vehicles are not expecting you to approach from their rear left side..!! (2) There is no stop and turn if clear on red lights here either. Red means stop and don't move till the lights go green.

Enjoy your little road trip, it'll be much more rewarding than being stuck on a transfer bus.

Great links! The car looks like it will do just fine..assuming we dont get the "or similar" they always throw in on the rental reservation! :)

One last question - is it possible to do Windsor Castle, Stonehenge, and Salisbury Cathedral all in one day if we leave Heathrow around 9 a.m? From a driving distance standpoint it should be no problem, was just wondering if there would be enough time to see the three places before closing, which for Stonehenge and the Cathedral seem to be about 5:30 - 6 pm

Yes it's possible but it will be difficult. You will have to strictly limit your time at each place and stick to your plans which isn't easy to do in for instance Windsor as it has so much to see and do for overseas visitors. You really could spend a whole day there, and a whole load of money too..!!

We have been looking at doing a TA and since we have never been to the UK, am worried about getting lost once we arrive in Heathrow. We will go with ship transfers, so hopefully that should eliminate any worries. I think I am more worried about getting lost in the airport. :D If we can manage it, may decide to stay an extra day or two before tackling that long flight home.Any input on getting around the airport and finding your Transfer agent. Thank you.

We got a bit confused at LHR, but just asked and were very kindly directed to the right lines to wait in for security (there were numerous ones). People were amazingly helpful everywhere we went in London. If unsure, just ask. The policemen were so helpful, I couldn't believe it!! :)

A Vauxhall Insigna replaced the largely terrible Vauxhall Vectra. It will also be sold in the USA. Wikipedia says it will be the Buick Regal.

It is not a small car, and quite large by European Standards. It will probably feel very "german" and well built, and hopefully will include a sat nav anyway. Least renting with national you are more or less assured you'll get the car you booked, as they generally only hire GM products.

It's possible and in fact i've done it, although never after an overnight flight from the states.

You might be tired depending on how well you sleep on international flights. Personally I think it's the perfect day trip. We've also done Windsor, Stonehenge and Bath in a single day also but you need to hustle. Bath is a good final stop because the stores stay open much later. The cathedral at Bath is magnificent.

When I say it can be done, I mean that you can get to each of the locations and spend some time touring each of the area. You will need to keep up a quick pace. My suggestion is not spend a lot of time at Stonehenge, read up about it before you arrive. You may not have time to take the formal Windsor Castle tour depending what time u actually arrive in Windsor, but the surroundings and grounds are beautiful to look at. The town is very quaint.

You could spend the night in Bath to cut down on your day one travel and then head back to Southhampton the next morning.

IMG_1528.jpg.657aa8de2c2b1392f8b3ead73ddca081.jpg

IMG_1556.jpg.7ecac981257f1b93852ff0e00b20e62c.jpg

IMG_1632.jpg.dd47ef85a4c8f067551e0b65bbcba090.jpg

IMG_1639.jpg.3cd4ec160b965324f3e76949d5a8d2c8.jpg

IMG_1673.jpg.fca828ebbdcdf618c64c852e40f21826.jpg

I live in Canada and travel to the UK monthly. Driving on the left side of the road is very easy to do. Even driving a manual is easy to do (shifting with your left hand). The one thing that I've always found odd was that the pedal arrangements are the same. You still use your left foot for clutch.

The only times I struggle with remembering which side of the road to be on is when it's a quiet rural road with no other traffic.

Archived