Another dress question over spring break in March ... sry!

amuth

My boyfriend and I will be on the Navigator for our college spring break the week of March 16th. We've only been on one other cruise with RCCL ... the Sovereign last March. There, the dress code was pretty relaxed, even on formal night (probably due to all spring breakers) and we saw a ton of jeans and such in the dining room.

Can he get away with nice jeans in the dining room on NOS? And should he bring a jacket for formal night this time, or do you think he can get away without?

Thanks for your help ... I know these attire questions are repetitive. :)

Nobody will stop you. On the other hand people may be talking about you! It's best to follow the dress code because many who cruise do and expect others to cruise.

We have skipped Formal night a couple of times when we didn't want to dress up, so what we did was to just go eat elsewhere on the ship in attire we wanted to wear.

Yes, he can wear nice jeans and it's up to him how comfortable he'll be without a jacket on Formal night. The last thing you should worry about is petty people talking about him.:mad:

This is why crusing is not what it used to be.

Formal nights should be formal. Jeans are not acceptable at anytime. Khaki's and a golf shirt are okay most nights. Tux and gown on formal night and sportsjacket on the semi-casual nights. Anyone that does not want to adhere to these rules belongs in the Windjammer.

Formal nights should be formal. Jeans are not acceptable at anytime. Khaki's and a golf shirt are okay most nights. Tux and gown on formal night and sportsjacket on the semi-casual nights. Anyone that does not want to adhere to these rules belongs in the Windjammer.

So who ordained you as the Dress Code Lord? What gives you the right to set the "rules" as you see them and flaunt RCI's suggestions?

So who ordained you as the Dress Code Lord? What gives you the right to set the "rules" as you see them and flaunt RCI's suggestions?

I believe that RCI's suggestions are their preferred method of attire. They want to maintain some air of dignity and not lower themselves to Spring Break "Anything Goes" status. If you want Spring Break travel on Carnival.

Not according to Royal Caribbean, there are no rules, only suggestions.

Yes but they expect them to be observed as they are dress codes and they also ask parents to adhere to the guidelines for their children. They are not demanding these rules but hoping that everyone is mature enough to follow them.

Q: What are the dress codes onboard?

A: There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are: Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

They want to maintain some air of dignity and not lower themselves to Spring Break "Anything Goes" status.

If they wanted to maintain "some air of dignity", they would enforce the few rules that they have, such as shorts, tank tops and flip flops not allowed in the MDR at dinner. They don't enforce it and thereby create the feeling that "Anything Goes".

Well, not really. The cruise lines are as much responsible for the change in cruising as anyone. They have opened up the market and lowered their standards. A broader spectrum of customers with varying standards and tastes has changed cruising from what it was in the 80's. That's not all bad, it has kept prices down and you can still dress up to the nines if you wish, along with many other fellow cruisers.

Not according to Royal Caribbean, there are no rules, only suggestions.
There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are: Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

Nowhere does it state

Anyone that does not want to adhere to these rules belongs in the Windjammer.

I believe that RCI's suggestions are their preferred method of attire. They want to maintain some air of dignity and not lower themselves to Spring Break "Anything Goes" status. If you want Spring Break travel on Carnival.

Hate to be a wise guy, but you are not with the times. Trust me, spring break will have many in the dining room not dressing to your standards. Have you cruise RCCL lately?

As a first time cruiser this Thanksgiving 09 on FOTS, we are taking the children with us. These posts have been interesting as we just don't know what to bring on these nights. When talking about children, it IS the parents responsibility for their dress. I want to make sure we do what is best and fun as well. The kids love to get dressed up. A question I have and maybe a possibility is that my 9 yr. old daughter was in a wedding this past fall. The dress is floor length and I was wondering if this was too over the top to bring for her to wear. Obviously these dresses were only worn once and I would love to have a reason for her to wear it again if it still fits her at the time. What do you all think?

Barb

It is absolutely appropriate. She will look adorable. There will be plenty of teens wearing their prom dresses also. I think the point is that it is not necessary to go out and purchase clothing you will never wear again just for the cruise. I think that what bothers some posters is that cruising is evolving, and they prefer it to remain how it was. :) Oh, and you are going to become so hooked on cruising.

As a first time cruiser this Thanksgiving 09 on FOTS, we are taking the children with us. These posts have been interesting as we just don't know what to bring on these nights. When talking about children, it IS the parents responsibility for their dress. I want to make sure we do what is best and fun as well. The kids love to get dressed up. A question I have and maybe a possibility is that my 9 yr. old daughter was in a wedding this past fall. The dress is floor length and I was wondering if this was too over the top to bring for her to wear. Obviously these dresses were only worn once and I would love to have a reason for her to wear it again if it still fits her at the time. What do you all think?

Barb

Take a pair of dockers or dress pants. He needs to learn to dress for job interviews anyways!

We just did a round of interviews for some entry level positions.

Believe me...there should be college courses teaching kids how to dress for interviews. It would also be nice if they were taught how to utter a complete sentence without the words "Uh...like....ya know...yeah".

If those who turned up for interviews are any indication of who is sailing these days, we are all in deep doo doo.

Whatever poster above who said "cruiselines have lowered their standards" isn't kidding.

Barb

We just did a round of interviews for some entry level positions.

Believe me...there should be college courses teaching kids how to dress for interviews. It would also be nice if they were taught how to utter a complete sentence without the words "Uh...like....ya know...yeah".

If those who turned up for interviews are any indication of who is sailing these days, we are all in deep doo doo.

Whatever poster above who said "cruiselines have lowered their standards" isn't kidding.

Sorry, but these posts help the OP's question how? We're talking about what to expect spring breakers(college kids) to wear on a cruise. Come on guys!

From 8am until 5pm the college kids can walk around the ship half naked like the rest of us in our bathing suits.

But come dinner, dress appropriately. We do not want to see your pants down around your knees with your Joe Boxer's hanging out. Also, no hats in the dining room.

You can still have a great time while presenting yourself in a decent way.

From 8am until 5pm the college kids can walk around the ship half naked like the rest of us in our bathing suits.

But come dinner, dress appropriately. We do not want to see your pants down around your knees with your Joe Boxer's hanging out. Also, no hats in the dining room.

You can still have a great time while presenting yourself in a decent way.

The OP asked about nice jeans and whether her b-friend would need a jacket. Where did you come up with your following quote based on her question?

" We do not want to see your pants down around your knees with your Joe Boxer's hanging out. Also, no hats in the dining room."

The OP asked about nice jeans and whether her b-friend would need a jacket. Where did you come up with your following quote based on her question?

" We do not want to see your pants down around your knees with your Joe Boxer's hanging out. Also, no hats in the dining room."

My apologies, it must be the Margaritas kicking in.

To all that provided advice,

Thank you! Based on responses he will be bringing his suit just in case, along with casual clothes for non-formal nights. I appreciate your help with a topic that can get repetitive and spark some fires on here. :)

Seeing that we are both in grad school to receive our MBA's next year and both have jobs involving suits daily, we know how to dress and utter sentences. Like many posters, I just wanted to see if we must bring those suits on a vacation. ;)

Chill Before You Have a Heart Attack

Maybe you could give me the recipe for a Heart Attack, closest I have is a Heartthrob: chilled cranberry vodka, peach schnapps and grapefruit juice.

I always keep my vodka in the freezer, so it's always chilled.:rolleyes:

Archived