Overnight strategy: Anchorage or Seward?

pacheco18

We will be arriving in Anchorage around 2:30 pm on the day before our cruise.

Do you recommend that we stay overnight in Anchorage and go to Seward the next day to board the ship or go directly to Seward (by rail?) and stay overnight in Seward.

Whatever you recommend, what hotels are best located for either stay?

On a separate note, I have to say that these boards are fantastic. I belong to some other groups (timeshares etc) and these boards are absolutely the best!

Thanks in advance for all the good suggestions.

Laraine

There is only one regular train to Seward each day, and it leaves at 6:45 a.m. You could rent a one-way Hertz car for drop-off in Seward that day, or stay in Anchorage and take the train early the next morning.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Seward. It is close to the train depot and the small boat harbor. In Anchorage we've stayed at Homewood Suites (midtown), Holiday Inn Express (near the airport), and Extended Stay Deluxe (downtown). All were nice.

There are also several shuttle van and limo companies that make the run. We used Alaskan Leopard and they are great! Your arrival time is too late to use them or any other scheduled service on the day you arrive. Schedules are timed to deliver passengers to the ships. But consider them if you want to go the day of your cruise.

Rental car seems like the best "same day" option; you are locked into Hertz because they are the only company in Seward. You might save quite a bit of money renting from the downtown location instead of the airport, who tacks on about 25% in fees! The downtown location is 20 minutes from the airport; you could stroll around downtown, visit the Weekend Market if it's Friday or Saturday, have dinner, then head down to Seward. Keep in mind the sun sets at 11pm or later and it really never gets dark. The highway down to Seward is in good condition, pretty fast, and it's almost impossible to get lost.

Depending on where you are coming from, it probably isn't a great idea to drive to Seward after "strolling around Anchorage" since it doesn't get dark until 11pm. A reason to do the drive is to enjoy it, you won't be after a long flight and touring time downtown Anchorage. You will be intent on getting to Seward, which needs a 3 hour allowance. The train is a good option in this short timeframe and making good decisions about making the most of this short time. Determine HOW you want to spend it, then stay in that area.

We will be arriving in Anchorage around 2:30 pm on the day before our cruise.

Do you recommend that we stay overnight in Anchorage and go to Seward the next day to board the ship or go directly to Seward (by rail?) and stay overnight in Seward.

Whatever you recommend, what hotels are best located for either stay?

On a separate note, I have to say that these boards are fantastic. I belong to some other groups (timeshares etc) and these boards are absolutely the best!

Thanks in advance for all the good suggestions.

Laraine

I may be mistaken, but I think I read that PJ taxis (out of Seward) will pick you up in Anchorage. Here is their website: http://www.pjstaxi.com/

As already mentioned, you need to look at what can be done in the Anchorage Area and the Seward area and then decide where you want to spend your time.

We did not enjoy Anchorage itself that much, but we never enjoy cities on vacation. We are more into enjoying nature. Knowing what we know now, if we were to be in your shoes, we would likely head straight to Seward, either by renting the one way car or trying PJ taxis. I would probably just have dinner in Seward and call it a night and try to get my body clock adjusted to the new time zone. Then you have a full day in Seward to take in one or more of the many activities available there. However, again, this is our choice. You need to do a little research and do the things you would enjoy most.

Laraine, you certainly could go straight to Seward on your day of arrival, but it depends on what you're most interested in doing in your limited time pre-cruise.

If your cruise doesn't leave until the evening, and if you'd be interested in a boat trip to Kenai Fjords National Park during the day, I think that could be great. Upon arrival, you could rent a car at the airport and drive to Seward. (As mentioned above, it has to be Hertz, because they're the only ones with an office in Seward. It was mentioned to take a taxi from the Anchroage Airport to downtown, because car rentals are cheaper outside the airport; however, the Hertz downtown office isn't open late into the afternoon, and I think you'd be getting there after they close -- check on the Hertz web site or call them to make sure.) It's probably about a 2 - 2.5 hour trip driving straight through, but you'll undoubtedly stop as some of the pull-outs along the way. In any case, you'll reach Seward before dark. I've stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Nancy mentioned, and recommend it. Next morning, you go on your boat trip, returning in tie to board your cruise ship.

On the other hand, you could spend the afternoon of arrival in Anchorage, if you're interested in visiting the museum, for instance. This would allow you to have a leisurely drive to Seward the next day, with possible stops at Portage Glacier, the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, and Exit Glacier. You could also take the early morning train, but then you'd miss those stops along the way -- but you might be able to take on of the boat trips in Seward.

In short, staying in either Anchorage or Seward would work -- just depends what's most important to you to see and do.

-- Eric

Just to correct my earlier post: the Hertz office in downtown Anchorage lists hours until 5 pm Monday-Friday, until 2 pm on Saturday -- that's what I was remembering, because I rented there on a Saturday last year -- and closed on Sunday. So if your arrival date is a weekday, you could rent from the downtown office the same afternoon. But by the time you collect your luggage and take a cab or shuttle downtown, it's going to be 3:30 or 4:00 -- if your plane is late and you can't get downtown before 5:00, then you'd really have a problem. And this is all moot if you decide to stay in Anchorage overnight! Just trying to give you accurate info as you consider your options.

-- Eric

Thank you all

I found a flight that gets me into Anchorage at 2:30 in the afternoon IF don't miss the connection. We will stay overnight in Anchorage overnight and arrange for a ship transfer the next day.

Laraine

Then I recommend you consider the Alaska RR, so to get into Seward early and enjoy that city's many activites available.

Archived