Fam Review - Independence of the Seas - Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel, Fort Lauderdale

crusinmama06

Michele, thanks for your reply and thanks for posting all the pictures and Cruise Compasses!

In Costa Maya, did you have to sign up to go to that pool area? We chose the inexpensive beach excursion (not the one with the inflatable course on the water for the kids), but I am wondering if that's worth it or if we should just do the pools. Did the small fountain area for little ones allow toddlers in swim diapers?

Again, thank you so much for such great detail in your review! :D

Michele, thanks for your reply and thanks for posting all the pictures and Cruise Compasses!

In Costa Maya, did you have to sign up to go to that pool area? We chose the inexpensive beach excursion (not the one with the inflatable course on the water for the kids), but I am wondering if that's worth it or if we should just do the pools. Did the small fountain area for little ones allow toddlers in swim diapers?

Again, thank you so much for such great detail in your review!

No, you don't have to sign up or pay anything to use the pools. It is just there for the cruise guests. Just hop off the ship and enjoy. And the fountain area would be perfect for babies in diapers. They are just shooting fountains on a concrete surface. So babies would be fine to splash around in that.

I didn't here great things from those that went to the beach in Costa Maya, so I am glad we stayed in port.

Day 5 - Cozumel, Mexico

We awake to the sight of RCCL Grandeur being parked into our backyard

: - )

253.jpg

We grabbed a quick bite to eat in the WJ on Thursday morning. Grabbed our towels (yes, got them at the H20 zone again, bring a sea pass card).

We were set to meet the "Passion Island" guide at 9:15 on the pier. So we make our way off of the ship....5 cruise ships are in port that day. Two Carnivals, 2 Royal Caribbean, 1 NCL.

256.jpg

257.jpg

We meet up with our guide "Mr. Leo" who informs us that the seas are too choppy to take the Catamaran to Passion Island (as originally planned) - we would take a bus, then a short small boat ride over to the island.

Passion Island is PURE paradise. It is deserted. It is for cruise ship guests only. It is OPEN DOMESTIC BAR and buffet included.

For the kids, I couldn't have picked a better place. They had a water trampoline, but since the water was too rough, they brought out a couple of men to install a regular trampoline on the sand (no charge). They had mini ATVs for the kids - FREE. The operator just "works for tips". They had a playground and mini maze for the kids.

For the adults - they had some shopping there. Full bar. Covered restaurant. Hammocks everywhere. They had tables under the palm trees so you could have eaten on the beach. They had chairs in full sun. Chairs in shade. The merchants stayed in the shopping area so no one was walking around selling anything (except one guy with a box of cuban cigars)

The restrooms and changing facilities were very clean.

And the best part, everyone was so nice.

I have all of my Passion Island pics on another computer...so I will just post this one for now. Be back later with the rest of the pictures.

261.jpg

Hi Michelle - I am loving reading this report, so much that I am now leaning back towards Royal Caribbean for our Europe trip - either Independence of the Seas or Voyager of the Seas.

I was going to choose by itinerary alone - but these ships look awesome. And because I'm from the UK, I can see other places in Europe on another trip. I only hope they do heat the pool here, as both ships leave from the UK and it can be bitterly cold.

Thank you so much for all the info and pics. We are on the Indy March 21st and although we are Eastern Caribbean I love seeing all your pics and info on the ship! Please let me know if there is anything special I need to pack or know about for my 13 month old son! I am a lil nervous about cruising with a baby :eek: but we have about 12 adults in our family going and only my DS! So I think he will get lots of attention from his grandparents and aunts and uncles! Thanks again for all the great info and pics!

Hi Michelle - I am loving reading this report, so much that I am now leaning back towards Royal Caribbean for our Europe trip - either Independence of the Seas or Voyager of the Seas.

I was going to choose by itinerary alone - but these ships look awesome. And because I'm from the UK, I can see other places in Europe on another trip. I only hope they do heat the pool here, as both ships leave from the UK and it can be bitterly cold.

They assure me, the pool IS heated when it is in the UK. I'll have more pics of the ship itself later.

Thank you so much for all the info and pics. We are on the Indy March 21st and although we are Eastern Caribbean I love seeing all your pics and info on the ship! Please let me know if there is anything special I need to pack or know about for my 13 month old son! I am a lil nervous about cruising with a baby but we have about 12 adults in our family going and only my DS! So I think he will get lots of attention from his grandparents and aunts and uncles! Thanks again for all the great info and pics!

I do have some good news for you. They extended the "45 minute" Fisher Price sessions for the toddlers and parents. If you look on the compass each day (the ones I posted), you can see activities throughout the day JUST for the parents of tots. They even had bedtime story hour each night. I'll scan the copy of activities I have and will post it later as well. I talked to some parents of toddlers onboard and they were having a good time at the new sessions.

OK I now have the rest of the pictures...

The playground at Passion Island...

744488e9.jpg

Kiddie ATV obstacle course (included in the price, they accept tips)

a21269a2.jpg

My 4 year old tearing up the beach

144aab6c.jpg

The buffet - they had the BEST homemade guacamole

d34fe8de.jpg

Hammocks

9af242cb.jpg

More Beach pics...

3a4f0c59.jpg

Passion Island looks like so much fun! I will have to check it out next time I am in Cozumel. Did you book it as a cruiseship tour or separately?

Cruise ship tour is the only way to get there from what I understand. I know you do the Carnival ships, so you may run into a problem booking it with children. :( Carnival takes the "Twister" high speed power boat out to Passion Island. So on their excursion, there is an age minimum.

I better finish this...

So arriving back to the ship from Passion Island was windy...but I was able to get this shot of Indy next to Grandeur...

0b3e0bfe.jpg

That night, (2nd formal night) the waiters had planned to surprise my oldest with a Happy Birthday pie. She is turning 9 this Sunday, but they helped us celebrate it on the cruise. The Assistant waiter Kemar and Head Waiter Jason gathered a group for her....

39e28eb4.jpg

I think she ate Ravioli 5 of the 6 days.

258f120d.jpg

Devils in the Red dress.

1a0e357f.jpg

OK, story time...

On our last Sea Day, I was waiting behind a mother who was arguing with the Adventure Ocean Counselors. She was upset that her son was unable to play on the computer all day long and was "forced" to do the activities with the other kids. The counselor said that if he was on the computerall day long then it would disrupt the other kids and then everyone would want to sit on the computer all day long.

She said "Well MY SON IS ALMOST 9 and these activities are set up for 6-8 year olds."

The counselor jumps on the computer and starts typing and says "When does your son turn 9?"

The mother's reply "JULY!"

I couldn't help myself, at that moment, I busted out laughing.

I looked at the mom and said "MY 8 year old is turning 9 in DAYS and she is having a great time with the other kids. They aren't all 6"

The mom was not happy with me. :D

Sorry, couldn't help myself. She was being annoying. ;)

So on to other acitivities in this review - PIRATE PARADE - Kids ages 3-5 and 6-8

The Pirate Parade has been changed. At least on the Freedom class, no more parade through the late seating dinner. The counselors told me that the "other passengers were annoyed by it"

So the kids "take over the theatre" now. They have to be signed into AO by 8pm (better to take them earlier to get the makeup on). By 8:30 they go on stage during the main seating show. Then they do their dance and they continue to march out into the Promenade and they do their act again in front of Sorrento's.

I found a Pirate costume after Halloween for a pretty cheap price. So my youngest was thrilled to have her own costume.

And some things never change. Some grumpy old bitty got off the elevator and walked past the AO pirate kids waiting with the counselor to get into another elevator. She said "I came on this cruise to get away from THAT". I heard this and said "You picked the wrong cruiseline." and then turned to my husband and said "I came on this cruise to get away from grumpy people, guess it didn't work"

3cafb66f.jpg

303.jpg

304.jpg

LAST Sea Day - Time to do everything we didn't get a chance to do

So today was our last chance to do the things we didn't get to do.

So that meant - ICE SKATING

I didn't see a minimum age to skate but you do need long pants and socks with you.

There were times throughout the morning and afternoon for ice skating. They are divided into 45 minute sessions. They had "Advanced Skating session" for those who were skilled and brought their own skates. They had "Open Skating" for those who needed to rent skates. The ice rink accepts 50 people at a time. So we arrived about 5 minutes before the scheduled session. No problem, walked right in. Signed our lives away and swore we wouldn't sue Royal Caribbean if something happened.

They have skates to fit SMALL children's fit. There were kids that were 3 years old and were trying to skate with their parents. I stayed on the sidelines with my 4 year old. We have skating around here so I didn't want to break my leg so far from home.

But I promised my 8 year old...so...

311.jpg

310.jpg

313.jpg

ROCK WALL CLIMBING

318.jpg

After ice skating, we raced (literally) up to the Rock Climbing Wall because at 2pm, they were going to have an "Adult Speed Climb" and that would have ruled out my daughter.

Minimum age to climb the wall - Age 6

They have teen climbs, adult speed climbs and kid climbs. But we just visited during "Open Climb"

So, MORE signing. No we won't sue Royal Caribbean. We were given a harness, a helmet and some shoes. You must have socks with you to climb.

So it's time to get hooked up....

320.jpg

One step at a time...

321.jpg

I think I can...

322.jpg

Um, mom, it's getting a little FREAKY up here! {direct quote...lol}

324.jpg

Miss it by that much!

326.jpg

Time to say goodbye to the rest of the ship....

Bye Bye Drink of the Day Guy

101.jpg

Bye Bye Basketball Court

317.jpg

Bye Bye H20 zone all lit up at night

113.jpg

Bye Bye Promenade

057.jpg

Bye Bye Towel Animals - I think this was a turtle...lol

1d6eb67a.jpg

Bye Bye Aft Balcony and beautiful weather (the poor kid was so sad)

340.jpg

We will miss you Independence - we hope to meet again one day.

Michele- what a great review and I really enjoyed your photos. Marc did an ice skating lesson with one of the professional skaters and it was really fun.

As for the lady on the elevator. What was she thinking coming on RC and not being with kids. I think that was a horrible thing for her to say under any circumstances.

I only had one negative experience and it was with a German passenger. A lady and I were waiting for the elevator. When the doors opened we didn't see a man who was standing by the buttons. The lady nearly ran into him as he was getting out. She said, "oh, I'm sorry. I didn't see you there." He said angrily " Have you ever heard of letting people off the elevator before you get in?" The lady had made a simple mistake and had already apologized. She said "you are jerk" and then he was "yelling back at her." His son was with him and I felt sorry for the boy. I am glad I didn't see that man again. It was disturbing and I know how you must have felt to have someone be so rude. Thankfully, the other 3999 people were friendly and nice.

Question for you, did you rent walkie talkies or cell phones to keep in contact with your kids? Do you know if they have this option on Indie? We are leaving next week and we have my DH parents and sister's family with us and we need a way to communicate with each other on board. Suggestions?

Great review!! You have made me completely excited to get on that ship!

Michele- what a great review and I really enjoyed your photos. Marc did an ice skating lesson with one of the professional skaters and it was really fun.

As for the lady on the elevator. What was she thinking coming on RC and not being with kids. I think that was a horrible thing for her to say under any circumstances.

I only had one negative experience and it was with a German passenger. A lady and I were waiting for the elevator. When the doors opened we didn't see a man who was standing by the buttons. The lady nearly ran into him as he was getting out. She said, "oh, I'm sorry. I didn't see you there." He said angrily " Have you ever heard of letting people off the elevator before you get in?" The lady had made a simple mistake and had already apologized. She said "you are jerk" and then he was "yelling back at her." His son was with him and I felt sorry for the boy. I am glad I didn't see that man again. It was disturbing and I know how you must have felt to have someone be so rude. Thankfully, the other 3999 people were friendly and nice.

What a jerk! Ya know, you just reminded me of something I had forgotten. On the 2nd day, a group of us got into the elevator on our way down to dinner. I didn't know the people who got on with us. There were 2 boys standing there (old enough to know better) and ALL of the buttons were pushed. :eek: So the boys just stood there with this grin on their faces. They were making ME late for dinner (a cardinal sin in my book :p) so I made sure they never did it again. And I had 7 floors to do it. :D

So I said to them "Why would you push all of the buttons?

The boys "We didn't"

"Um, yeah ok. We aren't that dumb. Aren't you old enough to know better? Now we all have to stop at every floor!"

Boys - grinning

So I said "Well if we have to stop at every floor, then you get to hear me complain about it for 7 floors."

Another woman on the elevator says "Where are your parents?"

I reply "Probably hiding from them" :rolleyes:

My hubby was appalled that I said anything. But frankly, I didn't care...lol.

Question for you, did you rent walkie talkies or cell phones to keep in contact with your kids? Do you know if they have this option on Indie? We are leaving next week and we have my DH parents and sister's family with us and we need a way to communicate with each other on board. Suggestions?

Great review!! You have made me completely excited to get on that ship!

Adventure Ocean gives a Dect Phone (cell phone which only works on the ship) for those with kids 3-5. The kids didn't need walkie talkies because when they weren't with me, they were in AO. They can't sign themselves out.

Michelle~ I was looking at the website for your Belize excursion. It looks like a blast. I was wondering what made you not take your kids with you? I see they have a special price for under 10 and also found reviews from people with kids that were 5. We have a son who will be 51/2 and he is quite the daredevil. I am wondering about booking this excursion for the 3 of us, what are your thoughts on that? I am a little nervous about sliding around in the mud on an ATV, was it scary? Did you feel like the ATV was going to roll at all? (I think I would be more afraid then my son would be!) Have you ever done the cave tubing? I noticed they have a combo also.

I have enjoyed reading your review! LOVE the pictures.

Can you rent dect phones or are they only given out at kids club? Our kids are young, DS is 18 months and my SIL's boy is 9 months so we need to have a way to comunicate with the grandparents when they are watching the boys for us. Any ideas?

Michelle~ I was looking at the website for your Belize excursion. It looks like a blast. I was wondering what made you not take your kids with you? I see they have a special price for under 10 and also found reviews from people with kids that were 5. We have a son who will be 5 1/2 and he is quite the daredevil. I am wondering about booking this excursion for the 3 of us, what are your thoughts on that? I am a little nervous about sliding around in the mud on an ATV, was it scary? Did you feel like the ATV was going to roll at all? (I think I would be more afraid then my son would be!) Have you ever done the cave tubing? I noticed they have a combo also.

I have enjoyed reading your review! LOVE the pictures.

Well, my youngest is 4. So she was well under the recommended age of 12. ;) My 8 year old had no desire to go tearing through the jungle and she asked to stay on the ship. The reviews on the site that you read, were they from people who had kids on the cave tubing tour or the ATV tour? There are two different tours. The cave tubing, they do accept kids as young as 5. Yes it was scary on the ATV. Did I think I would roll....not really. It was pretty level. I did think I would hit a tree a few times. :eek:

You can see our entire tour in this video...

ATV Jungle Tour Video

http://www.4shared.com/file/87236765/4bc466c5/BelizeCaveTubing_0002.html

I did not do the cave tubing because, my youngest is still 4. ;) And the water was suppose to be pretty cold this time of year. And did I mention there are bats in those caves? :eek::p

Can you rent dect phones or are they only given out at kids club? Our kids are young, DS is 18 months and my SIL's boy is 9 months so we need to have a way to comunicate with the grandparents when they are watching the boys for us. Any ideas?

Yes you are able to rent the Dect phones. Check with Customer Relations and ask for them right away since they are in limited supply. I talked to a couple who rented them.

Crusinmama- I am thinking about doing the Carnival Pride out of Baltimore- just because we live here. You mentioned that you didn't like Miracle, which is the same type of ship. What was it that you didn't like about Miracle?

I said I didn't like Miracle? :eek: No, that wasn't me. I said that Miracle was in Port next to us in Costa Maya and then again in Cozumel. I've never been on Miracle. Now Sensation, yeah I don't like THAT ship. But never been on Miracle.

Oh sorry- I had it wrong. What was it that you didn't like about Sensation?

Well let me preface this by saying it was the last week of August. So it may have just been the time of year. It just wasn't over run by kids...it was over run by horrible little monster kids....lol. ;)

Some highlights, the children's pool was shut down on our only sea day because someone defacated in it. :rolleyes:

The stairs had garbage in it daily, half eaten apple...glasses...etc.

The kids didn't walk down the stairs, they jumped from one landing to another. :rolleyes: One almost knocked down a crew member, he didn't say anything to the child.

I went to get some ice cream and the monster kids were making the grossest combination they could. Pouring ice cream into bowls, adding instant coffee, tea bags, coffee stirers...then left the entire mess on the ice cream bar for the crew to clean up.

One drunk lunatic came and told the bar tender at the champagne bar that someone had knocked over her drink on the dance floor (in the bar next door). She wanted a replacement...which he did. Fifteen minutes later she was back, wanted another free drink, her drink had been knocked over again. :rolleyes: When he refused, she went and got a mob of people to come and berate him.

There was just incident after incident. The people on the ship didn't deserve to be off of house arrest, let alone on a cruise ship. :eek:

Without the people, the ship was fine. It was purple. Like Vegas purple. I didn't mind the pink on Elation, it seemed to be more understated. But Sensations purple was just plain ugly.

The cabin was big because we had a Cat 12 penthouse.

The suite attendant was very nice.

The cabin hallways were smoky at times because you can smoke in your cabin...so I am assuming that people did.

The room service - cold food only.

The pools - salt water.

Service in the DR was ok.

Now on the good side...the food was always very good. On both Sensation and Elation. My oldest loved the water slide. (youngest was too short for it). My youngest loved Camp Carnival. They seem to do better with younger children and did especially well for her (since she is speech delayed).

I could look down onto the deck at Miracle (from Indy) and saw that it didn't have the same bells and whistles that Indy had. But like you said before, you like less bells/whistles. :D

I loved your review and the pictures! Too bad about passion island and kids, it sounds great. We have only done one RCCL cruise, the Grandeur of the seas and had a bad experience (poor wait service, room attendant, dirty ship) which is why we have continued to sail Carnival. That and DD is able to go to the kids club. I love that RC is extending the royal babies thing to include more times during the day. If we hadnt just booked another Carnival I may have tried it again. Now that DD is 3 and we have a new little cruiser who is only 8 weeks right now, we are going to try Oasis next year. The pictures of Indy are nothing like Grandeur so I will try that class of ship too. Also, the newer Carnival ships are nothing like the sensation/elation class. They are the same layout as the RCCl ships and have many of the same amenities, minus the ice skating. You may want to try it sometime if your get a great deal. It will be nothing like the sensation. Wow, if I had an experience like you had on Sensation I would never cruise that line again either. My friend had the same experience on that same ship.

Archived