Fam Review - Independence of the Seas - Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel, Fort Lauderdale

crusinmama06

I loved your review and the pictures! Too bad about passion island and kids, it sounds great. We have only done one RCCL cruise, the Grandeur of the seas and had a bad experience (poor wait service, room attendant, dirty ship) which is why we have continued to sail Carnival. That and DD is able to go to the kids club. I love that RC is extending the royal babies thing to include more times during the day. If we hadnt just booked another Carnival I may have tried it again. Now that DD is 3 and we have a new little cruiser who is only 8 weeks right now, we are going to try Oasis next year. The pictures of Indy are nothing like Grandeur so I will try that class of ship too. Also, the newer Carnival ships are nothing like the sensation/elation class. They are the same layout as the RCCl ships and have many of the same amenities, minus the ice skating. You may want to try it sometime if your get a great deal. It will be nothing like the sensation. Wow, if I had an experience like you had on Sensation I would never cruise that line again either. My friend had the same experience on that same ship.

Yes I have heard the same about Grandeur so I understand your trepidation. ;) And believe me, I don't think Sensation is a good representative of the rest of the Carnival fleet. :) I know that ship, that week, was a fluke because we had a nice time on Elation.

I'll be on the inaugural sailing of Carnival Magic in Europe...so I will be able to see a new Carnival ship in action. :D

Thanks Cruisinmama. I have only been on one Carnival cruise and it was out of NYC. I had a great time because it was the first time ever that my son had gone to the youth program. My older son never went to the youth program on a ship and loved being with me. I really didn't mind this but what a treat it was for me for my younger son (age 3) to go off for a few hours and I actually had "freedom" on vacation. And so it began... we have sailed 14 times together since then (he is 8 now).

So I do have a special place in my heart for that Carnival cruise. Interestingly- I have not cruised Carnival since then. My next cruise was on Celebrity and I was really true blue to them.

Now I enjoy trying different ships and different cruise lines. So perhaps we will do Carnival Pride in the fall. I am trying to get my friends to cruise and the husband isn't really interested but said that he would do one out of Baltimore. If they don't bite though- I probably will save my money for another Transatlantic cruise or perhaps a cruise down the Nile. Both are high on my list!

Well let me preface this by saying it was the last week of August. So it may have just been the time of year. It just wasn't over run by kids...it was over run by horrible little monster kids....lol. ;)

Hey Michele,

You are right. Thankfully the Sensation doesn't represent the full Carnival picture. The fact that it is an old ship, it is very gaudy & hard to fill, they have to drastically reduce the price. Unfortunately when they do that, it attracts a different class of people. Some of which have very unruley kids. Add that to the fact that it was during summer vacation & you have a real mess on your hands. I haven't put passengers on that ship as well as a select few other Carnival ships in a long time.

I sailed the Destiny in November & was very pleased with everythig. In fact, Carnival's food is way better than Royal Caribbean's. I wouldn't hesitate sailing on it again. They should really get rid of their old ones. It is not good for their reputation. I love the newer ones. In fact DH & I are invited on the new Splendour on March 21 out of SanFransisco. I'll let ya know how it turns out.

Congrats on the Magic inaugural. Please let me know how you like it.

Thanks for another great review, Michelle! I think RC should comp you in some way, because you are an awesome spokeswoman for them. I can't wait to take my 9 yo son and 5 yo daughter on the Mariner next month. Now I am actually looking forward to any grumpy person saying something bad about bringing my kids on a cruise! Mind if I borrow your line about taking a cruise to get away from grumpy people? ;)

Great review, Michele! :) I really loved reading it and looking at your photos. It made me SUPER excited for our upcoming Freedom cruise! (I finally broke down and booked it... cruising with a 14 month old should be quite interesting!)

I'd love to know if you have any details about how they're working with the babies and toddlers. I see they've added more "to dos" with that age group. Did you happen to speak with any parents of babies/toddlers who could tell you about their experiences? This is the only area that's making me anxious since my DH *may* not be cruising with us (we won't know until December).

OH... my oldest daughter will turn 10 on the cruise. She LOVES ravioli like your DD does - I'm sure she'll be eating it at least half the time! :P

Great review, Michele! :) I really loved reading it and looking at your photos. It made me SUPER excited for our upcoming Freedom cruise! (I finally broke down and booked it... cruising with a 14 month old should be quite interesting!)

I'd love to know if you have any details about how they're working with the babies and toddlers. I see they've added more "to dos" with that age group. Did you happen to speak with any parents of babies/toddlers who could tell you about their experiences? This is the only area that's making me anxious since my DH *may* not be cruising with us (we won't know until December).

OH... my oldest daughter will turn 10 on the cruise. She LOVES ravioli like your DD does - I'm sure she'll be eating it at least half the time! :P

Yes I went and got the schedule for the Royal Babies/Tot sessions. I still have to scan it yet, but I will.

And yes, I made it a point to talk to parents of babies on Indy about the program. The parents that I talked to liked it. And I could tell that it must have been introducing them to other parents because when we sat near the Baby Zone, all of the parents in that area were discussing the next session time. Some of them were going to the "good night story time" every night.

And since the baby will be 14 months, you'll be able to use in cabin sitting if needed.

Yes I went and got the schedule for the Royal Babies/Tot sessions. I still have to scan it yet, but I will.

And yes, I made it a point to talk to parents of babies on Indy about the program. The parents that I talked to liked it. And I could tell that it must have been introducing them to other parents because when we sat near the Baby Zone, all of the parents in that area were discussing the next session time. Some of them were going to the "good night story time" every night.

And since the baby will be 14 months, you'll be able to use in cabin sitting if needed.

You are so prepared!!! Thanks for all the leg work that you do while on YOUR vacation. :)

It sounds like RCI is doing a better job taking care of this age passenger/parents. I hope everything is as positive on our cruise. I'm sure we'll have a great time regardless of the programs. :D And, yes, I will be taking advantage of in cabin sitting!!!:p

Wow, thanks so much for posting everything Michele! I'm really psyched about the Royal Tots activities. Our daughter is an energetic 20 months old, and needs activities, so those will be great! It's a bummer that the evening playgroup and story time is so late. Our little one is in bed by 7:30. We'll definitely be taking advantage of the morning and afternoon activities though!

Thanks again!!!!!

Thanks, Michele! :)

BTW, I noticed that the dinner times are posted as a range (i.e. main 6-6:30). I'm assuming this means you should arrive between these times? On our Mariner cruise, it was a set time so this is new to me.

Yes it seems to be new to everyone. They were commenting on it on the RCCL board. We could arrive between those times. I guess they are doing it so they don't seem so rigid on dining times. ;)

Thanks for sharing Michelle. I need to currently live vicariously since my next cruise does not seem to be coming fast enough. Now I really want to go on the Independence !!

Also thanks for the info on the Royal Tots and Babies. I am trying to absorb as much as I can on what RCCL does on their ships.

Also thanks for the info on the Royal Tots and Babies. I am trying to absorb as much as I can on what RCCL does on their ships.

Me too, me too!!! My cruise can't come quickly enough - it's all I can do to stay OFF these boards! LOL Since you'll be cruising before me, I hope you plan on sharing your experience with us. I'm a little anxious about sailing with a 14 month old...

Me too, me too!!! My cruise can't come quickly enough - it's all I can do to stay OFF these boards! LOL Since you'll be cruising before me, I hope you plan on sharing your experience with us. I'm a little anxious about sailing with a 14 month old...

No problem. My DD will be 17 months on our cruise, so I will take lots of notes!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your detailed posting- I am going to Belize, Guatemala, Costa Maya and Cozumel next January so I was soaking up all your information on the different excursions. My little guy loves vehicles so I am going to look into Passion Island for those awesome kiddie ATVs.

Your reviews are always so helpful- I love poring over all the compasses and daily activities!

Thanks for your detailed posting- I am going to Belize, Guatemala, Costa Maya and Cozumel next January so I was soaking up all your information on the different excursions. My little guy loves vehicles so I am going to look into Passion Island for those awesome kiddie ATVs.

Your reviews are always so helpful- I love poring over all the compasses and daily activities!

I am glad it was helpful. Have a great cruise! :D

Archived