River tubing

New Cruiser 13

We did the Dominica tubing in 2005 and had the greatest time, incredible scenery and it was really really fun. We used Princess for the tubing and our next cruise in April we're doing it again.

I know some of the group we're cruising with this time are using an independent, Antours, for their tubing.

Either way, you're going to have a blast!

Have a great cruise.

I've done the tubing in Jamaica and Dominica. Jamaica was a "float". Dominica was tubing - lots of rapids and rocks - not much floating.

I used Antours and they were great. I loved it, but it was a whole lot more exciting than I expected.

We were in Dominica last month and set up a tour with Antours. They took us to Mr Nice's Fruit Stand, tubing and then to a beach for a couple hours. I would do it again.

We had a friend with us who can't swim so she was a bit worried, but afterwards she had a smile from ear to ear.

Also the black sand beach was really nice place to relax after the tubing.

2 years before we did Wacky Rollers, but I think I liked Antours better. I would do this again in a heartbeat. Just reverify the pick up time right before you go. I had set it up a couple months before we sailed and had a 9:30 pick up time, they had changed it to 9 am when they added some other people from our ship, but I never got that info. There was no problem, but I hate confusion at the pier.

I think this is one of my favorite excursion.:D

We did Antours and had a great time. The tubing is great fun and they combine it with a couple waterfall stop, fruit stand, and beach time. If you've done it before, you already know how much fun it is and I'd recommend Antours. If you haven't done it, I explain a little more about it on another thread about tubing (also on the Dominica board).

And no, we didn't see any snakes or fish. Safe to say there are some out there somewhere (fish at least). The guide says snakes are very rare on the island. No reason for any concern.

I booked the river tubing for our 3/21 Summit cruise (we prefer a ship excursion this time). I noticed they have the Wacky Rollers excursion and another one that didn't have a name. I booked the nameless one. Should I assume they are basically the same or should I change to the Wacky Rollers one? Thanks.

• 5 months later...

We booked the Emerald Pool and River Tubing excursion with Antours and had a fantastic time.

Our guide for the day was Neysa and our driver was Mikey.

Here is a review with photo's of our River Tubing experience from July 7th.

When we arrived at the start of our River Tubing excursion, we were greeted by Ainstein, who I think is the “boss” of Antours.

He gave us a brief River Tubing orientation.

CarnivalVictoryCruise854.jpg

We then put on our helmets and lifejackets and were ready for our adventure down the Layou River.

CarnivalVictoryCruise855.jpg

The river tubing was a lot of fun and no one in our group tipped over in the rapids. The guides were all excellent and did a super job keeping everyone together and pulling us out of areas if we got stuck. Three times along the river, the guides raced ahead to stop the tubers, giving everyone the chance to catch up! At one deep spot, we actually got to get out of our tubes and go into the river for a refreshing swim!

CarnivalVictoryCruise857.jpg

Two of our guides

CarnivalVictoryCruise882.jpg

There was one spot along the river bank, where we could see Neysa, Mikey and Ainstein watching and waving to us as we floated by.

Our river tubing adventure allowed us to float and race through the lush rainforest and took approx. 1 1/4 hours to complete.

CarnivalVictoryCruise886.jpg

At the landing site, Neysa was there serving drinks—either Sprite or Rum Punch and Ainstein was there thanking everyone for choosing Antours.

I would highly recommend Antours!

P.S. We did not see any snakes in the river.

cz

Great pictures! Thanks. I do have one question. I keep seeing posts about the roads being very windy. DH can get car sick at times. How are the roads to the falls and then down the river valley? If it is slow going, I don't think he would have a problem.

Great pictures! Thanks. I do have one question. I keep seeing posts about the roads being very windy. DH can get car sick at times. How are the roads to the falls and then down the river valley? If it is slow going, I don't think he would have a problem.

We don't remember the roads being very winding, but then again, we are not prone to car sickness. No one in our bus appeared to be bothered by the roads. I would suggest that you email Antours. They were really quick to respond to our questions and were quite helpful. They will know if car sickness has been an issue with past guests.

• 2 weeks later...
On the Antours tour, are there changing rooms at the start/end of the tubing, or do you go in your swimwear and return wet!! If there are changing rooms, is there any storage for bags/clothes whilst tubing?

Thanks

Simon

No, there were no changing rooms at the start or at the end of the tubing. Everyone wore their swimsuits under their clothes. You can leave your clothes, towels and other personal belongings safely on the bus.

cz

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone who has done the river tubing and tour with Antours remember how much time was spent driving in the van to the locations? We did a different tour to various falls etc a few years back and it felt like we spent more time driving to all of the stops than anything else. Wasn't sure how far these areas are from the cruiseport. Also do you remember if the water is very cool during the tubing or was it a comfortable temperature? Thanks!

Does anyone who has done the river tubing and tour with Antours remember how much time was spent driving in the van to the locations? We did a different tour to various falls etc a few years back and it felt like we spent more time driving to all of the stops than anything else. Wasn't sure how far these areas are from the cruiseport. Also do you remember if the water is very cool during the tubing or was it a comfortable temperature? Thanks!

In July, we did the Emerald Pool and River Tubing Excursion with Antours. (Our review of our River Tubing Adventure with photo's is just a few posts back).

It was approx. a 50 minute drive from the cruise ship pier to the Emerald Pool and Falls.

From there it was approx. another 15 minute drive to Mr. Nice's Fruit Stand.

After our visit with Mr. Nice it was another 15 minutes to get to the start of the River Tubing Excursion down the Layou River.

After spending 1 1/4 hours on the river we were served refreshments then made our way back to the pier.

The drive back to the pier was approx. 20-25 minutes in length.

The water at the Emerald Pool was very cool, but still refreshing.

During the river tubing, we did get to stop at one deep spot in the Layou River and go swimming.

I don't remember the water being cold, it was comfortable for swimming and felt very refreshing.

Overall, we spent more time at the sites than we did driving around.

You will enjoy this tour with Antours!

cz

Were there any bathroom breaks at any point?

In July, we did the Emerald Pool and River Tubing Excursion with Antours. (Our review of our River Tubing Adventure with photo's is just a few posts back).

It was approx. a 50 minute drive from the cruise ship pier to the Emerald Pool and Falls.

From there it was approx. another 15 minute drive to Mr. Nice's Fruit Stand.

After our visit with Mr. Nice it was another 15 minutes to get to the start of the River Tubing Excursion down the Layou River.

After spending 1 1/4 hours on the river we were served refreshments then made our way back to the pier.

The drive back to the pier was approx. 20-25 minutes in length.

The water at the Emerald Pool was very cool, but still refreshing.

During the river tubing, we did get to stop at one deep spot in the Layou River and go swimming.

I don't remember the water being cold, it was comfortable for swimming and felt very refreshing.

Overall, we spent more time at the sites than we did driving around.

You will enjoy this tour with Antours!

cz

• 1 month later...

Archived