Turtle excurtion on RCI Serenade of the Seas

whoknows

We're first time cruisers and a bit leary of going off on our own on the non-RCI excurtions. We'd love to snorkle with the turtles. Has anyone done the ship excurtions BB38 (swim with turltles, shipwreck, snorkle and beach) or BB51 (Tiami Sail and snorkle with turtles) and what did you think? Is it really too crowded? Would it really be better to book an independent tour and if so, how do I do that?

Thanks!

Just got back from Barbados..did the swim with turtles in the morning and Monkey Encounter in the afternoon.

Excursion with the turtles was fabulous. 3 huge turtles were swimming

right below us. Then they tooks us to the marine park to snorkel over

the ship wreck. We got about half an hour at the beach (which wasn't long enough). The beach had gorgeous sand and water. Then some killer

rum punch. Definitely an excursion worth doing!

We have done excursions with the cruise lines and independently. You definitely get less crowd and more bang for your buck with independents. These people make a living off of the cruise ships, if they make 1 mistake it can destroy their business. Read the boards and book with companies that people have had good experiences with. We are booked with Shasa Catamarran Cruises in Barbados for a day of swimming and snorkeling with the sea turtles, other people can recommend different independent companies also. Good Luck and enjoy your 1st cruise they are so addictive:D.

We booked privately with Thriller. It was a high speed boat ride with about 15 max. on board. We did a couple of snorkel stops (reefs and shipwreck), then the turtles and finally a beach stop. It was Nov. 2007 when I did that and the cost was $50 pp. You had to take a taxi over to his dock which cost about $12-15. I would recommend the morning tour as the turtle site is a lot less crowded than the afternoon trip.

If you are interested, do a search for Thriller on this thread or you can google them too. Steve is the owner/operator. Good guy...great tour.

If you book independently just allow ample time to be back before the ship leaves. I usually plan an hour or so prior to departure time.

We went with Tiami and had a GREAT time. The crew, food, booze and boat are wonderful. Next time we're in Barbados we'll take a cab to Paynes Bay and spend the day there. The 30 minutes we were there snorkeling with the turtles was not nearly long enough.

Here are some of the photos of the turtles and flying gurnard I saw there.

attachment.php?attachmentid=105318&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1234326662 attachment.php?attachmentid=105319&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1234326689 attachment.php?attachmentid=105320&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1234326718 attachment.php?attachmentid=105321&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1234326748 attachment.php?attachmentid=105322&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1234326777

Just got back from the Tiami tour. We did BB51...the shorter version..my recommendation is to go with an independent tour. If there are only a few turtles there that day you will find that everyone is pushing and kicking their way to see the turtles and it is WAY too crowded. There were only 3 turtles spotted the day I went and it was too crowded. That would be my only complaint...so I think you would be better off going on an independent tour with less people on the cat.

BTW something you might want to look into...wish I had known before we went...one of the waiters on the Serenade the day after we left Barbados told me that next time I'm in Barbados and I want to see the turtles his recommendation would be to go to Malibu Beach (short cheap tax ride) and walk to the right all the way down the beach and there is a company there with cats for rent and they will take you out for a great tour and turtle snorkel for about $25.

BTW something you might want to look into...wish I had known before we went...one of the waiters on the Serenade the day after we left Barbados told me that next time I'm in Barbados and I want to see the turtles his recommendation would be to go to Malibu Beach (short cheap tax ride) and walk to the right all the way down the beach and there is a company there with cats for rent and they will take you out for a great tour and turtle snorkel for about $25.

Did he give you an idea of how far down the beach the cats are located? This sounds like a great idea!

Did he give you an idea of how far down the beach the cats are located? This sounds like a great idea!

He said when you turn right you will see them down at the end of the beach but he didn't give a distance. Perhaps someone on the Barbados board has been to Malibu and can give you an idea. Maybe search under malibu beach?

we just got back from Barbados from Serenade of the Seas 7 day. My husband and I took the Shasa catamaran 3 hour tour and it was the best! what was so great was that there were only 9 of us plus the captain on board and he gave us the time to snorkel, swim, and see the turtles. He got in the water with us and showed us everything. The other best part was he sailed! He didn't just motor. Afterwards, included was the taxi back to the ship or beach. Try this outfit - it is small but great bang for the buck.

Just got back from Barbados..did the swim with turtles in the morning and Monkey Encounter in the afternoon.

Excursion with the turtles was fabulous. 3 huge turtles were swimming

right below us. Then they tooks us to the marine park to snorkel over

the ship wreck. We got about half an hour at the beach (which wasn't long enough). The beach had gorgeous sand and water. Then some killer

rum punch. Definitely an excursion worth doing!

I am interested in the details of how you did the turtles and the Monkeys? Do you mind sharing the details? Thanks!

We just got back from a trip on Serenade of the Seas - we just caught a cab to Payne's Bay and rented a couple of beach chairs and snorkel gear in front of the St. James Hotel. We saw several turtles not that far out from the beach, and while we were there, several catamarans with people from cruise-ship excursions showed up to snorkel with the turtles. I know we saved money going it on our own, plus we were able to spend all day on the beach and snorkeling at our leisure, and not forced into a set time frame. I wouldn't worry about going it on our own, everyone speaks english and taxis to and from Paynes Bay are plentiful - and since you have a full day in port, you can spend all day at the beach and still get back to the ship with plenty of time to spare.

Cruizegurl, How much did you spend for the taxi?? Aprox. how far was the ride??

Seeing that you saw turtles without the need to hire a boat or catamaran i guess maybe we woun't need to hire one?? But, what was the going rate just in case??

Thanks!!!

Archived