Oneway vs Round Trip

Robert6260

Does anyone know why Delta has more options on flights from RDU to FLL and back when you look at one way flights vs. round trip? I get a lot more flights to choose from using the one way option. The price is the same for 2 one way flights compared to the round trip. Is there any disadvantage to book two one ways verses a round trip ticket? Thanks for the help.

Unless someone posts otherwise, here is a supposition. The low-fare buckets on the outbound flight might be (hypothetically) 1, 2, 3, 4. On the return flight, they are 2, 3, 4, 5. By searching one-ways, you are essentially doing a low-fare search that includes buckets 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. However, with a round trip low-fare search, the only common buckets are 2, 3, 4. But, as I say, it is a supposition.

Are the fare codes for the outbound and inbound the same? How do the RT fare rules compare to the two OW? It sounds like the RT is 2X one of the OW fares, and the other OW is a different fare code even though it's the same price. (Sorry if I'm just restating the earlier fare bucket comment).

Since all tickets are e-tickets nowadays, the paperwork is no longer a big deal.

One way tickets are a factor that increases the odds of being selected for "special" security screening. If that is the case, the passenger will be denied online check-in, and the boarding pass issued at the airport will have "SSSS" in the lower right corner.

If other factors are equal, prefer the round trip.

One way tickets are a factor that increases the odds of being selected for "special" security screening. If that is the case, the passenger will be denied online check-in, and the boarding pass issued at the airport will have "SSSS" in the lower right corner.

If other factors are equal, prefer the round trip.

Years ago--right after 9/11 I had this happen with one way tickets, but it has not happened with any one way tix I've had in the past 5+ years.

If you will notice, Shorex said that it was a factor in increasing your odds of the "SSSS". It's not an absolute, but it still does increase the possibility.

I was sure I'd get a "SSSS" when I booked two oneways; WS/YVR-LAS & G4/LAS-BLI. I figured the TSAs alarm bells would go off with a one way intl ticket into the USA w/o a intl return and didn't get even a sniff of inquiry. Oddly my wife (who came down a couple of days later G4/BLI-LAS-BLI got grilled driving across the border). You really never know

If you will notice, Shorex said that it was a factor in increasing your odds of the "SSSS". It's not an absolute, but it still does increase the possibility.
I believe that the TSA has had to change its criteria because of the number of airlines whose business model is all one-way tickets, with many more now being bought as one-ways than before. What is more likely to trigger an SSSS is a one-way being bought with cash, especially bought at the last minute.

Our experience with two one-ways ... we were able to checkin online and print our boarding passes, we were not labeled special selectees for security screening. Maybe they cut us slack because we were using passports as our ID on these domestic flights. The only impact: we were denied participation in HAL's Express Baggage Service (3rd party pre-checkin and pier bag check) at disembarkation.

Archived