If Dubai cuts QE2 loose, what should be her fate?

kelly@

If Dubai cuts QE2 loose, what should be her fate (choose all that apply)?  

315 members have voted

1. 1. If Dubai cuts QE2 loose, what should be her fate (choose all that apply)?

• Become a Southampton-based floating hotel
    • Become a floating museum of ocean liner history
    • Donate parts to be used for the next Queen Elizabeth
    • Re-enlist as a war transport vessel
    • Resume cruising for Cunard
    • Resume cruising for another line (tell us which below)
    • Head to the scrap yard -- she's had her day in the sun
    • I really hope QE2 keeps the gig in Dubai
    • Something else, which I'll post

I seldom post, but I think it's occasion to do so now. I never got my head around what Nakheel had intended. At first it sounded as if they would refurbish her to her original 60s décor, Which I didn't mind whatsoever. Then this wave of increasingly macabre refittings were discussed of lengtenings and additions and demolishing of interiors. Now we're back at square one again? I would have guessed that the reason they bought her in the first place was much like the reason you buy anything with a heritage or brand awareness, so why these destructive and outrages ideas were put out I have no idea. Why buy a brand just to demolish it on purpose? Hopefully any such endeavours will now have been forgotten and she will become what she was intended to be, a floating hotel. I hear the ex Constitution is somewhere close by on her way to India, perhaps they could snatch her up as well and have the two eras in ocean liner history together. Too bad they couldn't have put the France beside her, What a wonderful sight to have the two greyhounds side by side and looking ready to depart.

I liked the original idea they had talked about with using her 60's style, she looked spiffy and peppy in her original décor, not old stale and stately. Not that old and stately is bad, I just find that she was made into something else during the refit. I say this with no actual experience on board however, but picture and gut wise I would prefer her 60's décor to her current one. Not that I wouldn't want to have sailed on her... I have missed the chance and will never get it again sadly. May she live on.

I suspect Nakheel bought her simply because they could hence now the indecision of her future present. All it takes is one sheikh with an idea he believes in and the QE2 will have her purpose again whether it is an hotel in DXB, floating museum, etc. Best alternative would be for Nakheel to pay for the renos and then bring her back to Southampton, open to a wider market.

I love this idea -- the real challenge is, I think, that putting QE2 back into service would require costly upgrades as the onset of 2010's new Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) is going to be tough on older ships.

By the way, we got an official statement from Nakheel this morning:

“The plans for QE2’s full restoration and refurbishment are ongoing as we continue to investigate all our options in leveraging this fantastic asset. We have no intention of selling the ship to any party whatsoever.”

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Carolyn,

Saga thankfully did it with Caronia so that she can continue to sail. And for the following of devoted older fans that the QE2 has, there is no doubt that she would be a success sailing with Saga. From what I heard from fellow passengers in August on QE2 who had sailed on the Saga Ruby's 2008 World Cruise, the QE2 could well be better than ever with Saga. Those from the Ruby's world cruise said service, attention to detail and food was better than QE2. I am now ducking!;)

Carolyn,

Saga thankfully did it with Caronia so that she can continue to sail. And for the following of devoted older fans that the QE2 has, there is no doubt that she would be a success sailing with Saga. From what I heard from fellow passengers in August on QE2 who had sailed on the Saga Ruby's 2008 World Cruise, the QE2 could well be better than ever with Saga. Those from the Ruby's world cruise said service, attention to detail and food was better than QE2. I am now ducking!;)

Having sailed with both Cunard and Saga, and I reckon that, comparing the Caronia restaurant on QE2 with Saga's main dining rooms, they are on par. Saga draws nearly 100% Brit pax (my brother and I were the only Yanks on Saga Rose), while QE2 when cruising ex-Soton also drew some Europeans and Yanks and a somewhat wider age range, hence a bit liveler. I like both, though I am an unabashed QE2 (as a ship) fan, even more when she did the transats. After the wonderful Saga Rose goes, the only true upmarket classic ship left will be Saga Ruby.

Ted

as a cruise ship would be so cool.

However, lets look at facts. Nakheel paid 100 mill US dollars for her.

They could be reading our posts, so may reconsider their radical refits and do something simpler, i.e. keep the ship more or less as is, except for building the theatre in the engine room, but not going for a funnel replacement or jumboising - possibly refitting the interior to more luxe, making the 4 and 5 deck cabins into suites etc. In the light of financial meltdown, this is possible.

They could contract to Saga Cruises or another cruise line to run her as a going concern as is. If so, I vote for Saga.:D

They could forget the whole idea and try to get the best price from scrap. (or do Gari's idea and sell world wide TV rights and give her a Viking's funeral).

At the moment, Nakheel have a small crew onboard 'keeping her warm.'

Here it is again, Why are they saying this:

The plans for QE2’s full restoration and refurbishment are ongoing as we continue to investigate all our options in leveraging this fantastic asset.

If they intend to rip her to pieces? Where has that information come from anyway? A trusted source? At first I was upset about all of the changes intended for her, but I'm starting to question the basis of that information. I have yet to see anyone from Nakheel openly admit to any lengthening of the ship or destruction of her funnel. Why do we (as a community and bystanders) assume the worst when they have yet to mention any doom scenarios. Granted, I haven't combed through every Nakheel statement to find any suggestion of this, but do we have a basis to assume this doom and gloom scenario?

From what I can gleam of this new statement they will indeed rip most if not all of her engines out, which saddens me somewhat as a ship enthusiast. It would have been fun if they left at least a little engine spaces untouched if there is any that wasn't ripped out with her conversion to diesel. I also see that most if not all her staterooms will be changed. It reads a little confusingly however, I can't quite tell if they mean to enlarge 200 cabins and keep a few intact for historical value or just make 200 suites and scarp the rest for venue space. Most probably there will be a lot of venue spaces added, and that's to be expected, but again it would be fun to have some original cabins left for us ship enthusiasts and history buffs to look at.

I wonder just how much it would cost to bring QE2 up to 2010 SOLAS standard? If practicle I would like to see the likes of SAGA to take over the operation as I doubt it would fit in with future Carnival Corp plans for Cunard. I would however like to see the historic artifacts returned to Cunard to be added to the "heritage trail" on the other Cunard ships or at least sent to worthy UK museums for permanent display.

I voted for her to be returned to her home port ( Southampton) that way plenty of cruisers will see her.

However the practicalities would be endless----- who will pay for her to be returned etc.

I suspect that Cunard got a fair price when they sold her, which has probably already been invested in the construction of the new QE.

Who will pay for her to be returned?

Have just read in the 'Sunday Mirror' - so may or may not be true;) that the QE2 may be sold for scrap now instead of being converted into a 6* hotel...

The ship purchased by the ruler of Dubai for £50million maybe scrapped due to the credit crunch, She will be sold for scrap if she fails to attract enough guests.

Terry Yarwood, chairman of the QE2 Consortium wanted to keep her as a museum and hotel for Southampton , said''It would be a disaster, She's a national treasure and a prime example of our maritime heritage and never should of been sold abroad'

He said if she was back on sale, the consortium would resurrect its plans to bring her home.

He said 'I suppose its good news that they won't be slicing in her half for the refit'

I hear the ex Constitution is somewhere close by on her way to India, perhaps they could snatch her up...

The Constitution would have to be snatched up out of the Pacific Ocean where she sank on her way to the scrappers...

...you must be thinking of the Independence?

On a practical note: SOLAS prevents the ship from being used in the condition she's in after next year, the structure of the ship prevents her from continued safe use without significant upgrades, the economy and smart business sense prevents significant expenditure being made on this 40-year-old hull where a brand new hull would make better use of the funds.

I say that Cunard should purchase back what artwork and furnishings are suitable for reuse aboard the new Elizabeth, and the remainder should be sold for scrap - preferably to be done someplace in Europe or the UK where the jobs would be greatly appreciated.

The Constitution would have to be snatched up out of the Pacific Ocean where she sank on her way to the scrappers...

...you must be thinking of the Independence?

You're quite right, I always mix them up. Wouldn't it be a sight though?

I would suggest for her to be permanently berthed at the planned Kai Tak Cruise Terminal in Hong Kong as a floating hotel and cruise museum. It will create huge interest in the entire Far East region. Hong Kong will also be able to look after her well as Hongkongers are more familiar with British traditions.

As a previous World Cruise passenger and Trans-Atlantic cruiser on her,its time to let her go. She was a great liner but her time has passed and the its now time for other Cunard liners to carry on the tradition.

I love older ships,but this day comes for all ships.

QE2 should have remained in the UK at somewhere like Liverpool which has a massive Maritime History and a building that has a Maitime museum, ships built and run from the UK sadly have a history of being given away to other countries who have little history! the only one that still has parts in the UK that i know of is the RMS Olympic where parts of the Woodwork from Dining rooms and a staircase were bought by a Hotel in Northumberland at Alnwick.

How long before the QE2 becomes a Burning Hulk ? because the money is no longer there to carry out the supposed alterations??

I would suggest for her to be permanently berthed at the planned Kai Tak Cruise Terminal in Hong Kong as a floating hotel and cruise museum. It will create huge interest in the entire Far East region. Hong Kong will also be able to look after r her well as Hongkongers are more familiar with British traditions.

They did not look after the Queen the Elizabeth very well did they, parts of her are still at the bottom of Hong Kong harbour.

QE2 should have remained in the UK at somewhere like Liverpool which has a massive Maritime History and a building that has a Maitime museum, ships built and run from the UK sadly have a history of being given away to other countries who have little history!

Well, they're not given away, they're sold to the highest bidder... which many times happens to be a scrapper:eek: or another shipping line.

Any UK interests with preservation intentions could have been the highest bidder... but they're not. :rolleyes:

The QE2 deal seems to have been secretive, but anyway who in the UK could have beat $100,000,000 ?

the only one that still has parts in the UK that i know of is the RMS Olympic where parts of the Woodwork from Dining rooms and a staircase were bought by a Hotel in Northumberland at Alnwick

Some of the Mauretania can be seen in a bar/nightclub in Bristol, and also Pinewood film studio. Other pieces are held by private collectors all over Britain.

Bits of the Aquitania ended up in the lobby of a hotel on the Isle of Wight.

The Park Hotel in Sandown, Isle of Wight, has most of the wood panels from Aquitania in the reception area, stairs, bar, dining room and lounge.

Granted it isn't as good as seeing things like that on the ship, but if QEII does end up as razorblades, then someone like Peter Knego who owns MidShipCentury will probably get a fair amount of the interior fixtures and fittings direct from Alang...and other parts of the ship would be auctioned, just as France's snout was last week.

The way things are right now with the economy, I seriously doubt that Nakeel will be able to do anything remotely like what they had planned, so maybe it would be better to scrap her than to make a dogs dinner out of her with half baked restorations.

The mention of Olympic...just think what a money spinner she would have been had she been kept for posterity as a floating museum ship...especially with the way her sister's have become legendary over the years. Someone missed a very good chance with her, pity really cos I certainly would have loved to have been able to explore the Olympic, just to get the feel of what Titanic was and what Britannic could have been.

I would really like to see her back cruising again, but doubt if she could be brought up to modern requirements within a reasonable cost frame, as I am sure Health and Safety would have a significant bearing.

Someone said? wooden decks are now classed as a high fire hazard and would have to be replaced, is this true?

A career as a floating museum would be nice, but the same problems apply, as they do to a hotel in the UK.

Perhaps her best fate would to be spotted being towed to the breakers yard and be painted by Turner!!!

Archived