Inside Room with 2.5 yr. old and 10 month old

vharibean

We are sailing on the Norwegian Star to the Mexican Riviera. My husband and I have an inside room with our 2.5 year and 10 month old. What are the rooms like? Where is the third bed? Is it above the two on ground level? Do they have a railing for the above bed? How do you go about requesting a pack and play? Are you charged for it? Any advice on what we should do while they are sleeping in the pitch black room? Any other advice in general?

NCL has some of the smallest insides in the industry. They measure 141 square feet and you have to go out in the hallway to change your mind.

Really- there is no way I would book an inside on NCL with two toddlers. There will be zero floor space. You will have to sleep in the upper bunk because it states on the bunks that no one under 3 is allowed to use them (for good reason!) A child could easily fall out of one.

Switch to another cabin. In fact, you are not really going to be happy with anything under 170 square feet- I can assure you. You do need a balcony with two little ones or you will have no place to go while they are asleep.

If your kids were older- it wouldn't really be a big deal but toddlers require floor space and I just think you will be most unhappy with the room you selected.

And I do book inside cabins but would not consider one in the situation you are in.

I agree--that's just too small of a cabin for kids needing special bedding. And you already brought up the question of what to do while the kids are sleeping---you will literally be no more than 3 feet from them!!!

Get 2 connecting rooms, so that they can go to bed, and you will have some space, (with lighting!!!!) to relax for the evening.

head over to the NCL boards, great advice over there. plus some who have been in your position.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107

some of the cabins have a trundle bed under the regular bed. it does make a tight bed formation. BUT since it only needs to be up at night, it can be fold up and tucked away during the day.

My kids are new to cruising, so the youngest I've had to deal with is 4 years old - and that was our last cruise! It was 3 of us in an oceanview room - 161 sq feet - and it was bearable. Our son stayed with my parents a few doors down, but when he came to visit, there was not enough room to breathe!

For our upcoming Mexican Riviera cruise (on RCI), we booked two connecting inside (promenade) cabins. Each room is 153 sq ft - so we get 306 sq feet. for the four of us. I'm thinking this is going to be perfect! :D

NCL has some of the smallest insides in the industry. They measure 141 square feet and you have to go out in the hallway to change your mind.

Really- there is no way I would book an inside on NCL with two toddlers. There will be zero floor space. You will have to sleep in the upper bunk because it states on the bunks that no one under 3 is allowed to use them (for good reason!) A child could easily fall out of one.

Switch to another cabin. In fact, you are not really going to be happy with anything under 170 square feet- I can assure you. You do need a balcony with two little ones or you will have no place to go while they are asleep.

If your kids were older- it wouldn't really be a big deal but toddlers require floor space and I just think you will be most unhappy with the room you selected.

And I do book inside cabins but would not consider one in the situation you are in.

Rebecca is so right here and I know this from our first cruise....:(

I agree, thats going to be too small. You wont be able to fit both kids on the floor with the pack in play. One adult will have to sleep in the upper bunk. There just isnt enough room. We have done Carnival inside (181 sq ft) with 3 of us (one toddler) and there is barely enough room with a crib. We just had another baby so this next cruise we booked a balcony room. They are larger. Try and see if you can get a larger room, if not, you will have to make do. Your 2.5 yr old cant stay in the top bunk, the rail is small and only covers a portion of the bed.

We did it with an 18 month old and a 4 year old. It was really tight, but we stayed out of the room as much as possible, used it only for sleeping. We put the two beds together against the wall, the pack n play on the other wall. The third fold down bed over our bed. One of the adults sleeps on top bunk, another and the 2 year old sleep in the "Queen" bed and the baby next to you in the pnp. I think I have a picture on my Dawn page on my site. The fourth bed pulls out from under one of the twins. If you choose this option, there will be no room for the PNP. Remember you will have strollers in the room too. Use umbrella type and fold and put in closet when not in use.

You have to request a PNP, free of charge from NCL. Just bring a sheet, they fold up a flat sheet and it gets all squished in the corner and the baby will sleep face on the bottom of the PNP, yuk. So don't forget it! Also bring a small blanket for the baby.

As for things to do in pitch black, bring headlamps or book lights so that you can read without disturbing them. Also think about taking a nap during the day, something we never do anymore, you are on vacation right? We never slept as good as we did on that cruise in the inside cabin. We were well rested for our full days out of the cabin!

Thanks your post was extrememly helpful. Thanks for addressing each of the questions. It's nice to know that it's doable, since we can't really cahnge our plans.

I think "doable" is in the eye of the beholder though. ;)

For us, it wouldn't be doable. I need at least some light in the cabin to keep it from being really small.

I have done an outside (just a picture window) with the 2 kids (when my hubby didn't travel with us) and I plan on doing another one in a few months. For me and the 2 kids, an oceaview (no balcony) is doable. Add another adult into the situation and take away the window...for me, no way. :eek:

Imagine living in the smallest room in your house (141 square feet) with 4 people. Now take away the windows too.

Sorry, you asked for the truth. :(

We have done a Carnival OV with myself, DH, and DS at 11 months. It was very tight with the pack and play (no charge). It also had an upper. Carnival says it 185SF. That's hard to believe. It will be tight with the four of you. However, it that's what you have, then you need to figure out ways to make it work. (Take turns with DH during nap times ect.) We only have one child so I'm sure with two that you have already found ways in everyday life to make two kids work with you. Just remember it's no cooking and no laundry for the entire time!! :)

One of the reasons I don't do NCL is that the rooms are puny. All I can say is good luck. Take lots of blue grocery bags for the soiled diapers- because your room is going to smell ripe if not (and even with them).

A common misconception is that the kids are little and don't take up much space. This is the farthest thing from the truth. You have to take so much with you when you have babies.

Cut down on the clutter- no pack and play. Just let the 10 month old sleep in the lower bunk. Put a couple pillows on the floor incase the baby falls out. Only take umbrella strollers. Don't take formal clothes- honestly with two babies there is no sense in doing the "fine dining". Keep it simple and eat casually.

Do bring enough diapers for the whole cruise- you may not find your brand. If your child is still on formula- do take the ready made disposable bottles.

As for the kids- they will have an absolute ball. The ship is a huge playground for them with lots of places to explore. They get to sleep in the same room as Mom and Dad! Kids love that. They will probably even like the cabin.

Mom on the other hand should demand that Dad allow her some free time. I traveled with my then 13 month old and I had very little time to myself. I never got to use the hot tub, etc. So I think there should be some clear groundrules. Also, Dad may want to take the kids out of the cabin so that Mom can get dressed for dinner, etc. This may only be 1/2 hour but otherwise the cabin situation will get really claustrophobic. Can you tell I have been in this situation???

I disagree - it can be done, just not comfortably. We cruised Princess with a 24 month old and 3 1/2 year old. The rooms were slightly larger and it was tight. We put the 24 month in the pack and play and the 3 1/2 year old slept on the couch. I believe we requested a pack and play with the ship directly - I'd do that now. We pushed the pack and play against the couch so she wouldn't fall out. You'll want to put a blanket or something in between the two of them so they don't "play" all night and maybe between you and them so you can stay up (we hung them from the ceiling. Just realize that there will be very little space to walk, and only stay in the room for naps and nighttime if possible :) . Try to get a small stroller that will fold under the bed like the Eddie Bauer double. I think your big issue will also be space for strollers, infant carrier, etc.

I also like the idea that one adult sleep in an upper bunk...that would create a lot more room.

Any thing is possible but I think the OP needs to be prepared for the confines of an NCL inside cabin, which is 141 square ft including the bathroom and closets.

You said that you were on Princess- the smallest cabins on Princess are the insides, which measure 160 square ft. That's much larger by comparison. Standard outside cabins on Princess are 179 square ft. That's 38 square ft. larger than the cabin this family of four is staying in.

So no- there is no "sofa". There is a desk with chair, two beds and a nightstand. That's it.

Will the kids suffer- not at all. Will Mom fell hemmed in- probably.

Archived