Denali shuttle - how early?

nmg222

You may already know this, but the park shuttle schedules are posted on the National Park Service web site here:

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/upload/2009%20ADVANCE%20RESERVATION%20SHUTTLE%20SCHEDULE.pdf

The earliest shuttle depends when you will be there, and how far you're going. I'm booked on a -- yawn! -- 5:30 a.m. shuttle the second week of June, and that is definitely the earliest shuttle time throughout the season!

But I think you were asking about how early you can get the transfer from your hotel to the Wilderness Access Center where the shuttle busses depart, and I can't help you with that. Someone else here will likely chime in from past experience, although since these things can change from one year to the next, I'd suggest checking with the hotel directly -- and you may have to wait until they open for the season in May -- to make sure you don't end up booked on a shuttle you can't get to in time. I believe I've read advice offered in past threads about not booking park shuttles before 8:30 or 9:00 for people needing the shuttle from the Lodge.

-- Eric

Can you park where the shuttles leave from or do you need to take another bus from your hotel? We are staying at the McKinley Lodge. Do you get off and on the same shuttle or can you get on another, how does it all work?

How long (time wise) is the full trip to Wonder Lake?

We will be at Denali the day the Wonder Lake shuttle begins should there be any problems with that?

Thanks in advance.

Just got off of the phone with Princess Lodges. They believe the transport to the shuttles begins at 7 but they suggest checking with the lodge when it opens in May. I've read where the early shuttles in peak season can start to sell out by March....what to do?

Can you park where the shuttles leave from or do you need to take another bus from your hotel? We are staying at the McKinley Lodge. Do you get off and on the same shuttle or can you get on another, how does it all work?

How long (time wise) is the full trip to Wonder Lake?

We will be at Denali the day the Wonder Lake shuttle begins should there be any problems with that?

Thanks in advance.

There is always the possibility that a late snow could delay the opening of the shuttles to Wonder Lake, but if so, the road would probably also be closed beyond Polychrome or one of the other passes. The trip to Wonder Lake is around 11 hours. The trip beyond Eielson is only worth it if the mountain is out, and you can upgrade to a Wonder Lake shuttle at Eielson for an extra $9. You can get on and off the shuttles anywhere except where an animal is sighted. Sometimes the shuttles are full, so you may have to wait if you get off for a shuttle with seats.

If the Princess Acess Center shuttles don't start until 7am, then I wouldn't consider a Park shuttle bus prior to 8am. You will have to pick up tickets and it's a benefit to be at the front of lines. You will also have to arrange all your own food and drink.

There is plenty of parking right at the Access Center, no you don't have to take a bus there.

In the past, they held back 35% of the seats and these were released 2 days prior at 7am. I've picked up any bus I want, calling then. But, it isn't a given the buses "sell out" in March. But you probably will have difficultity with walk up space in season.

Archived