On board liquor not kept till cruise ends.

Tangocherie

When I sailed Inspiration in January '06 they allowed customers who purchased liquor worth $60 a bottle or more to bring them to their staterooms. This purchase was not kept untill debarkation. I bought a good bottle of cognac at the time and to my surprise, I was given a freebee 3 litres of booze of my choice on top!:D

I'm sailing Spirit next Monday. Do they still have this type of special?

Let us know if they do it on the Spirit. I am sailing on her to Alaska in May with some friends. Although I usually don't purchase booze that costs that much, I just might "bite the bullet" and do so.

Marilyn

When I sailed Inspiration in January '06 they allowed customers who purchased liquor worth $60 a bottle or more to bring them to their staterooms. This purchase was not kept untill debarkation. I bought a good bottle of cognac at the time and to my surprise, I was given a freebee 3 litres of booze of my choice on top!:D

If they do allow this, they dont put up a sign saying they allow it.

My Dh bought a $70 or $80 bottle of Gran Marnier (some aged variety instead of the regular) and they held it until the end on the Liberty last summer. It was so late arriving we actually had a hard time packing in time to put luggage out and needed to make sure it was WELL padded for the flights.

I have seen a few deals where if you buy so many, they throw in an extra bottle or you get some little goodie bag. They were also giving away free zippos in January on the Glory if you bought a certain number of cartons of Marlboros.

Gone with the Wind

We just got off the VICTORY. When we went to the liquor store in the terminal we were going to buy 1 bottle of wine each & carry it on with us. The sales lady said that we were allowed to take 2 each, which didn't sound right to me, but we did it anyway. We bought 6 bottles of wine & gave our friends the other 2 bottles, walked right on the ship & not a word was said. Who knows!!!!

On the Freedom it was hit or miss. As you exited the screening area you are told to check your liquor at the table immediately ahead. However it was noted that not all would comply with the rules. I saw several groups of people just pass through without checking their liquor at all. To the best of my knowledge, nothing was said.

On the Pride in 2007 I bought a $1,200.00 bottle of cognac and was allowed to take it to my cabin. Last year on the Elation I bought a $400.00 bottle of Scotch and again was allowed to take it to my cabin. I hope to get a new bottle on the Spirit in March, I'll let you know if they hold it for me.

..... As you exited the screening area you are told to check your liquor at the table immediately ahead.

Sounds as if you're referring to returning to the ship from a port?

However it was noted that not all would comply with the rules. I saw several groups of people just pass through without checking their liquor at all. To the best of my knowledge, nothing was said.[

If, when returning from port, the line is long and hectic, I've often walked right through the crowd w/Kahlua I've purchased in a port.

We just got off the VICTORY. When we went to the liquor store in the terminal we were going to buy 1 bottle of wine each & carry it on with us. !!

I'm confused. There are liquor stores in some home port cruise ship terminals??

Brenda - Thx, friend. I haven't cruised out of San Juan since 1987, and 'sho can't remember that far back!:D

Julz - Anytime you buy alcohol on the last day, they let you take it to the cabin. Saves a lot of their time later that night.:)

When I was on the Inspiration last month I bought a bottle of Jack and a bottle of Parrot bay (not expensive) and they let me take them back to the room. This was early in the day on the day before we go home....

They allow it on the last day...I haven't heard of it in the beginning though.

Another poster mention that the 1200 and 400 bottles could be taken to their room upon purchase...that's a bit different.

The purpose of holding back the liquor purchases is to have us keep buying drinks on the ship.

In September we were on the Conquest and they held my alcohol purchases until the "last day". But, when we went to Jamaica, we bought a bunch of Rum and there was no one at the table to check your alcohol so we took it to our room. Didn't even open it until we got home.

I just got off the Spirit two weeks ago and they did not say or mention anything about it....on all the ports when you got back on the ship they had a desk to turn in your liquor and i did not see anything there just a sign that said to turn in your liquor

Archived