For the Chair Hogs: Why Is It Okay to Hog Chairs?

Sea Hag

Chair hogs, you know who you are! I'm not one of you, but I'd like to ask you a question. Why is it okay - to your way of thinking - for you to do this? There's a recent thread here about how to deal with this, and one of the things that thread turned up was some interesting rationalizations about why it's okay to pick and choose which rules to follow. I have no problem with that picking and choosing. Truth told, we all do that. Every one of us on some subject or another.

I know this is a hot button to many here, and this question may have been asked and answered. If so, sorry about that, and you all can tell me to put a sock in it. If not, I'd like to know.

Why is it okay to do this? Chair hogging is a public activity, so if you do it, you should be okay to admit to it.

I may or not be a chair hog...I guess it depends on your definition...for example..this me..

I am up by 7...towel on my lounge chair by 7:15 in Solarium..briskly walk to the windjammer to get my breakfast togo..back on my lounge chair by 7:25 with food in hand...I continue to lay here until the noonish hour when my DH finally ask,"Are you ready for lunch"...of course I say YES...he graciously asks me to join him for lunch...once again I briskly walk to the windjammer to get lunch togo just like breakfast..10 minutes later I am back on my towel with lunch and a fresh foo foo drink...then I continue to lay on my towel until roughly 4:00-4:30...then it's time for the spa...

Would I be considered a chair hog???? I am unsure:rolleyes:

If this is chair hogging(maybe sun worshipping).....I am looking forward to Easter Sunday...for a short 7 day trip to Mexico...

Angela

No-you are NOT a chair hog---you're USING your chair! Chair hogs are the folks who hit the pool at 6am and leave towels, books, etc....on multiple chairs, and then don't actually show up at the pool until 1pm!

If you are sitting in your chair, or swimming, or going to the bar....in essence USING the chair and surrounding space, you are NOT a chair hog!

I routinely hold a chair next to mine for my hubby, even tho' he may not join me right away. (I think spouses SHOULD sit together!!!!) I tend to sit by the pool all day, everyday...he's not into the sun as much as I am! Once he's had his fill, I release that chair.

You do realize that CC members equate to a small.... minute... % of actual cruise passengers don't you ? :confused:

You should be preaching while on the ship where the actual chair hogs are at ! Heck... bring a sign with you protesting chair hogs and make a demonstration.... not being snotty or anything, but it will get alot more results than actually getting people to admitt it here on the boards ! :rolleyes::o

I'll be surprised if you get a lot of honest chair hogs coming out. Who wants to go on a public board and admit to doing something that's so selfish, inconsiderate,self-serving, thoughtless and impolite? After all, you're only as good as your last performance.

Oh, I don't know....there have been posters that tell what they do and seem to be proud of it. :rolleyes:

I'll be surprised if you get a lot of honest chair hogs coming out. Who wants to go on a public board and admit to doing something that's so selfish, inconsiderate,self-serving, thoughtless and impolite? After all, you're only as good as your last performance.

I'm curious - I just want to see if anybody will shamelessly admit to it!

You do realize that CC members equate to a small.... minute... % of actual cruise passengers don't you ? :confused:

You should be preaching while on the ship where the actual chair hogs are at ! Heck... bring a sign with you protesting chair hogs and make a demonstration.... not being snotty or anything, but it will get alot more results than actually getting people to admitt it here on the boards ! :rolleyes::o

Of course I realize CC members are only a small percentage. How could I think otherwise?

And I'm not preaching. Not protesting a dang thang. I asked an honest question. I'd honestly like to hear somebody's justification for this. In my experience, people can give a rationalization for doing anything - anything at all.

I think you misunderstood the post. I'm a curious person, call me nosey if you want to, and I'd simply like to hear a good yarn about why somebody thinks it's okay to tie up a chair all day when they're not even in it. Wouldn't you like to hear that too?

Why I may be curious to some degree.... I see no point in wasting the time to worry about these type of folks or their rationale... it's like asking why do some people feel it is ok to save seats at the shows onboard ship....I just overlook these type of people and go with the rationale of "what goes around will come around" and refuse to let them bother my cruise experience... life is too short to sweat the small stuff and you certainly are not going to get them to change their rationale for their actions !

Why I may be curious to some degree.... I see no point in wasting the time to worry about these type of folks or their rationale... it's like asking why do some people feel it is ok to save seats at the shows onboard ship....I just overlook these type of people and go with the rationale of "what goes around will come around" and refuse to let them bother my cruise experience... life is too short to sweat the small stuff and you certainly are not going to get them to change their rationale for their actions !

I can understand your reasoning about not wasting time on it, but in that case, why are you posting to this thread at all? Surely, the best thing to do would be to not waste time posting?

I have no hope, wish or inclination to change anybody's habits. I have enough to do trying to run my own life without trying to run somebody else's. I just think it'd be amusing to hear their justifications. They're doing something that other people think is outrageous, and they're doing it openly in public. Why wouldn't it be interesting to hear why they think it's okay for them to do it?

There's a recent thread here about how to deal with this, and one of the things that thread turned up was some interesting rationalizations about why it's okay to pick and choose which rules to follow.

Yeah - that would be me who posted in the other thread about my "interesting rationalizations" about picking and choosing rules.

You seem to have missed a crucial point of my "rationalization" (which, by the way, is a rather unkind and unfair description of my "explanation" for why I smuggle booze, which I provided to increase understanding, not so I could be accused of "rationalizing").

My point in the other thread, and that I will make once again in this one, is that the KEY CRITERIA when evaluating one's behavior should always be: does my behavior in any way harm anyone else? Does it have a negative impact on another passenger? Does it hurt anyone?

It is flat-out impossible to claim that chair hogging doesn't negatively impact other cruisers. It is denying the use of a public amenity to everyone else, even when you are not using it. I daresay you will find few, if any, members who are going to openly admit to being inconsiderate, selfish oafs who feel entitled to take more than their share of public amenities, and keep them to themselves even when they aren't using them.

They will DO it, however, because they think they can get away with it. They will drop their chair hog artifacts on chairs when no one is looking, and then skulk away...and then skulk back to their chair and slip onto it, hoping that nobody noticed that their stinky sneakers were occupying that chair for 5 hours of prime sun time, while they were off using OTHER public amenities and denying use of this one to everyone else.

But they won't come in here and admit it.

Yeah - that would be me who posted in the other thread about my "interesting rationalizations" about picking and choosing rules.

You seem to have missed a crucial point of my "rationalization" (which, by the way, is a rather unkind and unfair description of my "explanation" for why I smuggle booze, which I provided to increase understanding, not so I could be accused of "rationalizing").

My point in the other thread, and that I will make once again in this one, is that the KEY CRITERIA when evaluating one's behavior should always be: does my behavior in any way harm anyone else? Does it have a negative impact on another passenger? Does it hurt anyone?

It is flat-out impossible to claim that chair hogging doesn't negatively impact other cruisers. It is denying the use of a public amenity to everyone else, even when you are not using it. I daresay you will find few, if any, members who are going to openly admit to being inconsiderate, selfish oafs who feel entitled to take more than their share of public amenities, and keep them to themselves even when they aren't using them.

They will DO it, however, because they think they can get away with it. They will drop their chair hog artifacts on chairs when no one is looking, and then skulk away...and then skulk back to their chair and slip onto it, hoping that nobody noticed that their stinky sneakers were occupying that chair for 5 hours of prime sun time, while they were off using OTHER public amenities and denying use of this one to everyone else.

Oh and Leeanne, just wanted to say I have read many of your posts and think they are well thought out and appreciate your wit, knowledge,and hints:D

I don't know in advance what others will and won't do. I don't know in advance that nobody will admit to this. I simply had the crazy idea that it would be fun to ask them and see what shook loose. Why can't I do that? It's a fair question. It's not a personal attack on anybody here. It's on the topic of cruising and bahavior aboard cruise ships. I can't see any reason whatsoever why I can't ask the question. I may or may not get any replies from chair hogs, but, unlike you evidently, I don't know in advance what other people will do.

I'm sorry that you take exception to me talking about "rationalizations." When I do something that's against the rules and tell myself that I'm doing it because the rule is stupid or what I'm doing doesn't impact anybody else, then I do know that I'm rationalizing. I shouldn't have said that somebody else was rationalizing - I can't rationalize a personal attack on somebody else. Can you?

I don't know that I missed a "crucial point" in your post. This is what I said:

There's a recent thread here about how to deal with this, and one of the things that thread turned up was some interesting rationalizations about why it's okay to pick and choose which rules to follow. I have no problem with that picking and choosing. Truth told, we all do that. Every one of us on some subject or another.

I doubt I missed anything at all in your post. It was quite clear. You choose which rules to follow. I specifically said I didn't have a problem with that. Everybody DOES do it.

All I'm doing in this thread is asking a simple, reasonable question.

I'm not a chair hog either. I think the practice is inconsiderate. We have never really encountered this on any of the cruises we have been on. We always have found a place to relax on deck when we needed one. If we leave our chairs we take our stuff with us and if we come back and they are taken we just look for chairs elsewhere. On a cruise ship you never know what fun you may find when you get up and walk around so I never tie myself to one chair.

We just got off the Gem on our 44th cruise and it took that long to find a new form of chair hogging. I was sitting at a table along the outside wall looking toward the pool. I then saw someone come over to a couple chairs in front of me and take the cushions off and take them over to their chairs for a second layer of cushions. That I couldn't stand so I mentioned it to a crew member who agreed with me and made them put them back.

We just got off the Gem on our 44th cruise and it took that long to find a new form of chair hogging. I was sitting at a table along the outside wall looking toward the pool. I then saw someone come over to a couple chairs in front of me and take the cushions off and take them over to their chairs for a second layer of cushions. That I couldn't stand so I mentioned it to a crew member who agreed with me and made them put them back.

Doesn't that just beat all! People are amazing. :D

Here's a problem we just dealt with on our last cruise. We'd get up early to go to the pool and lo and behold they were already saved with towels and various items ...after about the third day of this we realized that unless we saved our chairs before breakfast we didn't get one! We firmly don't believe in chair saving but how do you get around it if everyone else saves them??? It's truly frustrating!!!

Here's a problem we just dealt with on our last cruise. We'd get up early to go to the pool and lo and behold they were already saved with towels and various items ...after about the third day of this we realized that unless we saved our chairs before breakfast we didn't get one! We firmly don't believe in chair saving but how do you get around it if everyone else saves them??? It's truly frustrating!!!

Well, you could always do what we do. Typically we're pretty mellow people and usually we don't have any problems finding chairs, but on ocassion, especially when you're on a shorter cruise and younger people don't know the rules, it's been a real problem so this is what we do:

If we come down 2 or 3 mornings in a row and every chair near the pool has been "taken", but no one shows up for an hour or so, I just pick the stuff up off of all those saved chairs and hand it to an attendant and tell him someone must have "lost" their things. He knows EXACTLY what their doing and EXACTLY what I'm doing and every single time, we've gotten a big smile and a "Thank you, I'll be sure to turn them in to lost and found."

We then sit our behinds in those chairs and enjoy ourselves. If they come back, and honestly that's only happened ONCE which makes me just shake my head, we just tell them to check with the attendant, no one was here when we got here, obviously.

I've paid for my vacation just like they have and I shouldn't have to struggle to find a chair to actually use while people wander all over the ship all day long and only come around if they decide they might want to use "their" chair. It's rude and unreasonable. I feel absolutely zero guilt about doing this.

And for those who ask how we know if they've been gone for an hour or longer, it's simple: When you're forced to use a chair on the upper decks, even though you're actually using the pool, the bar, the grill and the chair, you pass those chairs enough during the day to know who's there and who's not been there even once.

Archived