Meaning of the Deck names.

Carnival AZIPOD

It seems more like deck names are similar within a cruiseline, rather than across lines. Most Princess ships have a Caribe deck, Plaza deck, etc., and Celebrity ships all have similar deck names (Panorama, Entertainment, Resort).

The ones you mentioned, Promenade and Lido, are quite common across many lines though. Maybe another would be Sports or Sun decks?

I believe Princess deck designations began as their own variation of the NATO phonetic alphabet.

A deck = Aloha, B deck = Baja, C deck = Caribe, D deck = Dolphin. So, decks were lettered instead of numbered. A above B above C above D.

Did the lettering break down as ships got bigger?

From Wikipedia:

"A lido, in the United Kingdom, Portugal and some other countries, refers to a public outdoor swimming pool and surrounding facilities, or part of a beach where people can swim, lie in the sun or participate in water sports.

On a cruise ship, outdoor pools and the surrounding facilities are referred to as the lido deck."

I believe Princess deck designations began as their own variation of the NATO phonetic alphabet.

A deck = Aloha, B deck = Baja, C deck = Caribe, D deck = Dolphin. So, decks were lettered instead of numbered. A above B above C above D.

Did the lettering break down as ships got bigger?

The A to E on Princess was for accommodation decks between the Lido and Promenade, and then changed with the Caribbean class with the addition of the Riviera deck. On Carnival, Riviera is a low deck, while Princess has it up high.

What are the common deck names?

I can only identify two:

1) Lido - Public open air swimming pool

2) Promendade - A deck to walk/stroll.

Each line seems to have it's own standard names...on Carnival:

Riviera...typically the lowest passenger deck

Main... this is where you used to board on their ships before the mega- ships came along.

Lobby... this came along with the superliners and larger ships.

Atlantic..this used to be the deck above Riviera on the older ships.

Upper... was what it said it was. It was the highest passenger deck

Empress..as the ships got larger and more decks were added. This name is in honor of two of their original ships....in their previous lives, they were the Empress of Canada (Mardi Gras) and the Empress of Britain (Carnivale).

Verandah...this came along when they started adding balcony cabins.

Panorama, Sky and Sun...again, as the ships became taller, these names were added and are pretty self-explanatory

What about the orlop deck or the poop deck?????????????

Old sailing ship terms. The orlop deck is the lowest deck in the ship that's mainly for storage of lines and cables. The poop deck is above the stern cabin. You can see it especially in pictures from sailing ships of the 1700's and 1800's.

• 9 years later...
Old sailing ship terms. The orlop deck is the lowest deck in the ship that's mainly for storage of lines and cables. The poop deck is above the stern cabin. You can see it especially in pictures from sailing ships of the 1700's and 1800's.

I was looking into the aft windows of the Westerdam and I thought I saw a public room with windows and tables at the lowest deck. I had not seen the Westerdam up close before. But I was certainly ignoring something, the thick ropes coming out below the windows. I was also ignoring the fact that the windows were not glazed. What I was looking at was the deck from which the aft mooring lines spooled. The tables were the spools and the room was surely not public.

I kept thinking how nice it was that the Westerdam had a restaurant or lounge in the stern so that everyone could look at the wake. Someone should build that.